My Grill Caught Fire. Again :U

DrGravitas

Well, despite emptying my grease trap over the weekend and trying to keep on top of cleaning it, my grill has caught fire again. First the grill, then civilization and the world :V Nevertheless my reactions are getting a bit calmer. I opened the grill lid without burning my arm hairs, I remained calm enough not to immediately douse it with the fire extinguisher or (ugh) water, and I even decided to try to save my brats. I put out the fire by a combination of letting it burn off, blowing on it, and flapping the cover around.

20160830_175500.jpg

Crispy on the outside, but perfect on the inside!

The particular type of Brats?

20160830_175612.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Johanna Waya said:

Mmmm Brotworst, I know I don't spell it right but yummy....

Reminds me of the time my german relatives (in a bond not blood sense) cooked, yummy red cabbage and brotwurst and just yums.

I don't think Johnsonville can legally call these bratswursts, so they call them Brats instead XP

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Well, despite emptying my grease trap over the weekend and trying to keep on top of cleaning it, my grill has caught fire again. First the grill, then civilization and the world :V Nevertheless my reactions are getting a bit calmer. I opened the grill lid without burning my arm hairs, I remained calm enough not to immediately douse it with the fire extinguisher or (ugh) water, and I even decided to try to save my brats. I put out the fire by a combination of letting it burn off, blowing on it, and flapping the cover around.

20160830_175500.jpg

Crispy on the outside, but perfect on the inside!

Are you one of those smart people who can do equations but can't catch a baseball or tie your shoelaces?

Or are you on the spectrum to the point where you can't cook a sausage? 

Jeez. Please don't buy any power tools or anything sharp mmmmmkay? 

2 hours ago, DrDingo said:

I'd eat the above

They look very edible and great with condiments

You did good. Grill on, dude

Said like a person from the UK.

The land where fine dining went to die.

Chef Ramsy would throw it on the floor. 

3 hours ago, Falaffel said:

they look fiiine

Yeah if they were entered in a light bigfoots dick on fire competition. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I'd totally eat that. I like a bit of char.

But the shape and positioning is totally creeping me out and I'm not sure why no one has made the obvious joke yet

2 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Yeah if they were entered in a light bigfoots dick on fire competition. 

3 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I'd totally eat that. I like a bit of char.

But the shape and positioning is totally creeping me out and I'm not sure why no one has made the obvious joke yet

Oh right I shall proceed.

Hey Grav! Whose severed dick did you char here? 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, 6tails said:

Pfft. Wait until you see Harbor Freight. You won't touch homo Depot for anything other than wood. :V

Sadly, the nearest Harbor Freight is a fair distance away from me. Home Depo's in a very convenient location and so's the Lowes.

5 hours ago, Gamedog said:

Water would have been safer than all of those combined

source: I am a barbecue genius amongst other things

Sarcasm aside, anybody reading this whose never dealt with a grease fire before please remember this is super bad idea, even if the fire is already mostly out. It will burst into a vaporous fireball and will be waaay more dangerous.

Your sausage looks like a book with a bad cover. Looks terrible on the outside but is good inside. 

You did the right thing with putting out the fire. You don't put out grill related fires with water due to grease (and maybe a gas leak) 

4 hours ago, Liovaire said:

Oh right I shall proceed.

Hey Grav! Whose severed dick did you char here? 

image.jpeg

"My jealous grillfriend did this to me 💔"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

(charred sausage)

"My jealous grillfriend did this to me 💔"

Ughhhh

Just thinking about what that would feel like gives me chills.

The last time I had this bad of a feeling was when someone told me to think of sticking a toothpick under your toenail and kicking a wall. 

Or sticking a toothpick in your dick and doing anything at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Sadly, the nearest Harbor Freight is a fair distance away from me. Home Depo's in a very convenient location and so's the Lowes.

Sarcasm aside, anybody reading this whose never dealt with a grease fire before please remember this is super bad idea, even if the fire is already mostly out. It will burst into a vaporous fireball and will be waaay more dangerous.

I'm not being sarcastic

my phone fucked up last night and didn't post the rest of my post

you opening and closing it and blowing air on it is the WRONG thing to do. You do not want to add more oxygen to the fire. (There's a reason you blow on kindling to start a fire)

either close the lid and let it burn out or stand back and splash water from a water bottle with hole poked in lid

the latter works 100% of time, just don't do it in the house. Bbq only

26 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

I'm not being sarcastic

my phone fucked up last night and didn't post the rest of my post

you opening and closing it and blowing air on it is the WRONG thing to do. You do not want to add more oxygen to the fire. (There's a reason you blow on kindling to start a fire)

either close the lid and let it burn out or stand back and splash water from a water bottle with hole poked in lid

the latter works 100% of time, just don't do it in the house. Bbq only

You make a fair point about the fanning the flames, I'll admit that much. It had mostly burned out at that point and I was just trying to deal with a few pesky remainders.

But, I wouldn't recommend water on a grease fire, even just for a BBQ. I mean, yeah, the one time I did make that mistake (I was thankfully wary enough to stay back) the fire did go out after it erupted into a massive fireball that was way bigger than the actual fire I wanted to put out. But, if there's too much grease, you risk just spreading the flames.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gamedog said:

Water would have been safer than all of those combined

source: I am a barbecue genius amongst other things

As someone who also does barbecue, I'm going to have to call BS on that. Grease, whether on a grill or the stovetop, you don't put water on. Ever. That is literally the least safe way to attempt to put out the fire, and it fails 98% of the time and results in explosions. Its the same reason why you have to avoid putting frozen whole chickens into hot grease and stuff.

• Like 2

I always always always put grease fires out like this. I've cooked enough chicken thighs on the bbq to be able to do it without fear

it doesn't result in explosions, it just flares up for 2 seconds and dies

thags why you poke hole in cap of water bottle 

edit, why did you post video of and talk about oil fire in a frying pan? We are talking about grease dripping on a bbq. Like I said before i would never do this anywhere else than bbq

That kind of cooking is what the English know as 'medium rare'.

Edit: for anybody wondering why water makes fat-fires worse (I watched the slow mo video to check they didn't offer an explanation)

Water and fat are immiscible. Hence when water hits the fat fire it separates the fat into droplets (just as oil droplets form when you pour oil into water), increasing the surface area of the burning fat and hence allowing more oxygen to reach the fire's fuel, not less.

If the water is vapourised by the heat of the fire, then this can create a chaotic convective explosion, which mixes even more oxygen into the fire.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

To be honest, I believe I have seen people successfully use the technique Gamedog is describing with the little water bottle. It's probably just not best to recommend it in many situations. 

I learnt it from my paw

but yeah it DOES work, but it is startling. I always have a bottle of water beside the bbq for this exact purpose. Using the turn-off,remove and shut lid method would make chicken thighs take eons to cook. They're so greasy and you're bound to have small flare-ups. Back up and splash a tiny bit on (or spray like I do) and the flames will flare up for literally 1 second or so and then dissipate 

• Like 1

Wow all of you are grilling noobs.

If you get a flare up you take a little plant sprayer bottle full of water and spray a few squirts onto the flare up and it's all under control. 

This idea of water bursting into flames is stupid. It's a BBQ not an out of control nuclear reactor. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, #00Buck said:

If you get a flare up you take a little plant sprayer bottle full of water and spray a few squirts onto the flare up and it's all under control. 

This idea of water bursting into flames is stupid. It's a BBQ not an out of control nuclear reactor. 

This, seriously..

dont know where  people got the idea that this was like pouring a cup of cold water into a pot of boiling grease

9 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I think it's the same physical problem as a 'phreato-magmatic' volcanic eruption or 'hydro-eruption', a type of volcanic eruption in which water enters the the volcanic conduit.

The explosive potential would hence be a function of the relative quantity of water. A tiny quantity of water is not a large enough amount to perform the necessary work upon its evapouration to sustain convection to entrain external air. The right amount of water will evapourate and perform enough work to create a self-sustaining convective entrainment of air, hence a catastrophic explosion (as you see in the video somebody posted earlier) and an ocean of water would snuff out any fire completely.

Given that the distinction between a small amount of water and enough to sustain convection is going to vary from fire to fire, you can well see why it's not advisable to begin playing this game. People regularly suffer life-changing injuries by trying to extinguish far fires with water, so it is definitely better to just wait longer for the food to cook.

You pretty much have to remember that you're dealing with a fuel-air mixture, so the physical response is highly non-linear.

• Like 1