If I ever needed motivation to lose weight....

Red Lion

I have it in spades after finding this gem a few days ago.

http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/05/11/people-take-desperate-measures-to-not-be-like-me/

to summarize; a fat woman feels personally insulted when the people around her choose to change their lives. She describes it as "moving out of their bodies" an analogy so cringe worthy that I don't even have a smart ass comment loaded up to fire at that one. 

She makes a few feeble attempts to seem understanding and have some empathy but they are completely undermined by comments like this

For me, it’s only the surgery that achieves the sharp sensation of abandonment, rejection, and betrayal. I’ve seen friends through every diet, every justification of denial, misery, and elimination. A friend or a cousin will one day lose the ability to converse about anything but carbs or sugar or whole foods or animal products. I’ll stop listening and start nodding. I know they’re trying to move out, move away. They cannot bear to be what we are anymore.

The fat people who become obsessed with counting calories and steps, the ones who try to vacate their bodies a little at a time . . . I don’t worry about them. They’ll never make it. Sooner or later they all come back.

What I got from this was that she's OK with dieters because they'll inevitably fail. The sheer narcissistic shittyness of that paragraph alone is enough to make any of her floundering attempts at acknowledging that people change for their own sake, which only show up at the very tail end of the piece, completely worthless. 

And before you hit those last two paragraphs you have to read through her smug, spiteful assertions that people are changing because they don't want to be like her. This woman actually admits to haunting gyms for the sake of trying to kill moral for the people there trying to better their lives. She sees wanting to be thin as some kind of betrayal, which may be one of the most self-centered things I've heard in quite some time. In spite of her seeming spark of insight at the end of the article this whole thing reeks of a lack of self awareness and I can say wholeheartedly...

Yes I would rather cut out a piece of my gut than be her, because she's a skin-crawlingly awful person. The fact that she actively tries to "weaponize her fatness" for the sake of demoralizing people trying to make a life change makes her pretty despicable. That can't be fixed by a shoe-horned "I know it's not really about me" at the end of what is basically a long, butthurt, cry fest about how hurtful it is that people don't wanna be like her. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sylver said:

If I walked out of a gym and saw her I'd probably feel glad I was making an effort to not end up like her.

yeah, this article doesn't do anything to make me sympathize with her.

Heck I ended up feeling sorry for her mom, I find it hard to imagine this woman got any real support during what was likely a very hard time of her life from the writer of this article. I mean she states that she went to support groups with her mom because the people there had clothes she could take.

• Like 1

You should feel inspired to improve your health for your own longevity and general body happiness, not for societal beauty standards or pressures thereof. Fitness is more than what you put in your body, it's healthy eating, exercise and conditioning, and maintaining and accurate picture of your medical health as well. Dieting will lose you weight fast, but changing your lifestyle will enable you to keep your gains and capitalize on them to further improve your health. All that said, the woman in this article has zero right to pass judgement on her mother for getting surgery, because her attitude is of the kind that thinks her mother did this only to be gratified aesthetically. Being massively overweight hurts. Been there before. Your joints want to burst and are in frequent daily pain, your skin feels stretched to the bursting point, all the chemicals in you bubble and leak out and do awful things, sometimes your heart feels ready to quit on you. Some people don't have the willpower to stop eating behaviors,  and for those people their body goes to a point where it almost is unhealthy for them to exercise at all. Surgery is an attempt to relieve that pressure, give them a jump start in combating that behavior. Some succeed some fail, but taking a chance at it is all you can do and we should never cast such in a negative light because taking a risk to better ourselves is a powerful human thing.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Proper noun said:

/r/Fatlogic is also good for inspiration. 

That sub is always a trip to read. The weirdest irl fatlogic I've ever experienced was a girl asking me why I wasn't treating myself after a long walk (I am also fat). "Treating myself is how I got fat." "Oh, but how will you stay motivivated if you won't treat yourself anymore??" 

????

On 9/9/2016 at 6:33 PM, Lemon said:

That sub is always a trip to read. The weirdest irl fatlogic I've ever experienced was a girl asking me why I wasn't treating myself after a long walk (I am also fat). "Treating myself is how I got fat." "Oh, but how will you stay motivivated if you won't treat yourself anymore??" 

????

I've noticed that in most fatlogic arguments food is regarded as being the ONLY joy in life and cutting back on food is equivalent to "torturing yourself to get thin." It's really melodramatic. 

On 09/09/2016 at 11:33 PM, Lemon said:

????

That's one of the things I hate most. Using food as a reward is just so counter productive. Last week Mum made a cake because she thought I deserved a treat after how hard I've been working in the gym and how good I've been with food. Like... great way to ruin everything I've actually done >.<. What's wrong with getting a nice action figure or a new stereo as a treat?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

That's one of the things I hate most. Using food as a reward is just so counter productive. Last week Mum made a cake because she thought I deserved a treat after how hard I've been working in the gym and how good I've been with food. Like... great way to ruin everything I've actually done >.<. What's wrong with getting a nice action figure or a new stereo as a treat?

Because a cheat meal taste so good after eating bland food for long time? It won't ruin anything, unless you're on some sort of a special diet.

1 minute ago, PurpleTail said:

Because a cheat meal taste so good after eating bland food for long time? It won't ruin anything, unless you're on some sort of a special diet.

You can eat tasty food long-term without going overboard though.

I'm not saying indulging is bad, I'm saying that I feel using it as a reward for not indulging is bad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I'm not saying indulging is bad, I'm saying that I feel using it as a reward for not indulging is bad.

Yeah that's almost like rewarding an alcoholic with alcohol for their success in abstinence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

that's p much the worst thing you can do. It's better to have things like food and drink regularly in moderation (that's the part fatlogic doesn't get, moderation is the key) than it is to over-indulge as a way to "reward"  yourself. If you deny yourself completely then indulge you'll find yourself looking for excuses to reward yourself. If you have a little on a regular basis ( a little cake and coffee on Sunday evenings, or ONE alcoholic beverage of your choice when you go out) you won't crave it as much and since it's a regular part of your routine you don't feel like you're punishing or denying yourself when you abstain during your normal week. Also since you're taking these things in moderation they won't hurt you. 

Going back to the article the author mentions this

eating a trick-or-treating sized bag of mini Snickers

You know what would happen if I tried that? I'd get sick to my stomach, or get a headache from all the sugar. I'm not thin by any standard but I couldn't eat that many sweets in one sitting.  It's the excessiveness that's the problem. Not junk food itself. 

around here a trick or treat sized back is anywhere from 80-150 pieces of candy. 

Eh, we're all gonna die someday anyway, I'm more concerned with what I achieve and leave behind than how long I have to live due to health issues. But a healthy lifestyle is worth aiming for if you want to live longer, just remember that exercising to excessively can be dangerous too. 

So, I feel as though I should chime in.

2 years ago I ballooned to almost 300 lbs. I could hardly walk up a flight of stairs. Mowing the lawn was a fucking Olympic event. I'm down to about 240lbs now. By next year I will be at 215, barring being in the hospital for 6 months or something.

It's not easy. Hell it's hard. I watch what I eat. Calories, macronutrients, sugar- the whole shebang. I go to the gym 6 days a week, no matter what. Being morbidly obese is not healthy. There is no such thing as "healthy at any size." Medical doctors don't see an anorexic stick of a person and go "you're fit as a fiddle!" nor do they say that to someone who has more chins than a Chinese phone book. I don't care if you're body-positive or whatever you are. By all means, love your body! But that means take care of your body, too. I will be damned if I die of a heart attack at 40.

I am not for these surgeries by any means, but if that's the only way you can lose weight, go for it. The author is a bitter person, that much is clear. She should be happy her friends are taking positive steps towards being healthy. But instead of admitting she's wrong, she writes one hell of a victim-complex nerd essay. Shame...

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

"I haunt thin people at the gym as the Ghost of Fatness Yet to Come"

This article has to be satire.

You know, I actually thought it might be at first. But it ain't...someone genuinely hangs around gyms just to try and make people uncomfortable. Kinda makes you wonder if some of her butthurt is from envy.

@DevilBear Yeah, it is really hard work to lose weight and be healthy. That's exactly what makes this author a shitty person, all the people she talks about. Her mom, her friends, need her understanding and support more now than ever and she's resolved to criticize them and even actively try to demoralize them. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Red Lion said:

You know, I actually thought it might be at first. But it ain't...someone genuinely hangs around gyms just to try and make people uncomfortable. Kinda makes you wonder if some of her butthurt is from envy.

@DevilBear Yeah, it is really hard work to lose weight and be healthy. That's exactly what makes this author a shitty person, all the people she talks about. Her mom, her friends, need her understanding and support more now than ever and she's resolved to criticize them and even actively try to demoralize them. 

What do you mean "kinda makes you wonder"?

Her fiery arse is ablaze of jealousy if this is real.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

What do you mean "kinda makes you wonder"?

Her fiery arse is ablaze of jealousy if this is real.

I don't think she is jealous. She is simply full of delusions. So her butt-hurt comes from pity, because in her mind, thin people should be jealous of her.

Either that or curry.

9 minutes ago, Recel said:

I don't think she is jealous. She is simply full of delusions. So her butt-hurt comes from pity, because in her mind, thin people should be jealous of her.

Either that or curry.

Naw, I think it's a form of jealously mixed with cognitive dissonance. As in "I'm a fat slob who is too lazy to change that fact, so anyone who loses weight is some kind of race traitor because being a fat pig is a an inescapable part of my identity."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Naw, I think it's a form of jealously mixed with cognitive dissonance. As in "I'm a fat slob who is too lazy to change that fact, so anyone who loses weight is some kind of race traitor because being a fat pig is a an inescapable part of my identity."

You think too highly of people.

• Like 1

I always hated getting guilt-tripped by larger friends (I was always the thinnest in the groups I usually found myself around) for wanting to exercise and lose more weight and improve myself.

If someone is happy with their body type, they shouldn't be desperately trying to shackle those around them to it as well, to validate themself, like this woman is doing.
If you need validation, you're not happy. Full stop.

Fuck the people that do this shit.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Vae said:

I always hated getting guilt-tripped by larger friends (I was always the thinnest in the groups I usually found myself around) for wanting to exercise and lose more weight and improve myself.

If someone is happy with their body type, they shouldn't be desperately trying to shackle those around them to it as well, to validate themself, like this woman is doing.
If you need validation, you're not happy. Full stop.

Fuck the people that do this shit.

People actually guilt-trip others for failing to be fat? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Saxon said:

When you're the "small" one in a group of average / overweight girls, yes.

"You're so skinny! You don't need to lose weight!"
"You're basically a toothpick already!"
"You don't need to lose any weight! You should gain weight! Just look at me. [flaps stomach fat out of pants] I need to lose weight, not you."
"You're so skinny. Are you anorexic?"
"You're so small. Aren't you sick?"
"Don't forget to eat while we're here. Lol!"
Etc.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Vae said:

When you're the "small" one in a group of average / overweight girls, yes.

"You're so skinny! You don't need to lose weight!"
"You're basically a toothpick already!"
"You don't need to lose any weight! You should gain weight! Just look at me. [flaps stomach fat out of pants] I need to lose weight, not you."
"You're so skinny. Are you anorexic?"
"You're so small. Aren't you sick?"
"Don't forget to eat while we're here. Lol!"
Etc.

Show 'em up by gaining muscle instead!

Seriously, though, it's awful the things people say to "the other" of their group.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 4:08 PM, DevilBear said:

I sent this to my brother. He's one of the most hardcore gym goers I know. I'm a big dude, a strong dude. He could easily kick my ass. He's jacked.

He called me- CALLED me- laughing.

Damn, thats crazy...what part amused him so much? The fat person haunting the gym

Thats kind of hilarious that he had to call you because an 'lol' couldnt suffice

On September 12, 2016 at 0:23 PM, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

"I haunt thin people at the gym as the Ghost of Fatness Yet to Come"

This article has to be satire.

On one hand, I think it is. On the other, there are people like this within the "Fat acceptance" movement who'd go as far as making their friend who's trying to lose weight feel shitty for doing something like exercise and managing their dietary intake. 

On September 13, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Saxon said:

Yep. I get it from black women all the time who are 100+ pounds bigger than I am.

Well she does have a point kinda. A lot of people just do a diet or exercise in order to be like someone else they don't actually understand what a "diet" is so they always fail hard in the end. They think a diet is just "eat less food for awhile" or "only eat X food" and they stick to that for a bit and then stop and go back to Starbucks and McDonald's as a daily routine. A diet is not a temporary change in what you eat but a permanent one. The way most Americans treat diets is the same way they treat voting... They only think about it when they're in trouble.

I've actually lost ~100 pounds in 9 months through exercise and "diet" AKA only eating when you're hungry and no pop, junk food, or fast food. Heck I haven't worked out the entire summer and haven't gained weight back...

21 hours ago, Elektranine said:

Well she does have a point kinda. A lot of people just do a diet or exercise in order to be like someone else they don't actually understand what a "diet" is so they always fail hard in the end. They think a diet is just "eat less food for awhile" or "only eat X food" and they stick to that for a bit and then stop and go back to Starbucks and McDonald's as a daily routine. A diet is not a temporary change in what you eat but a permanent one. The way most Americans treat diets is the same way they treat voting... They only think about it when they're in trouble.

I've actually lost ~100 pounds in 9 months through exercise and "diet" AKA only eating when you're hungry and no pop, junk food, or fast food. Heck I haven't worked out the entire summer and haven't gained weight back...

too bad she's not encouraging losing weight in a healthy way, or at all for that matter.  the point she's trying to make is basically that everyone should be morbidly obese and love it.

19 hours ago, Gator said:

too bad she's not encouraging losing weight in a healthy way, or at all for that matter.  the point she's trying to make is basically that everyone should be morbidly obese and love it.

the whole "moving out of their own bodies" bit is what makes this thing so cringey for me.  Like being fat is a part of who you are and if you stop being fat you're not really you anymore. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red Lion said:

the whole "moving out of their own bodies" bit is what makes this thing so cringey for me.  Like being fat is a part of who you are and if you stop being fat you're not really you anymore. 

It's sort of like that with celebrities. If Kevin James was thin, he wouldn't have a career anymore.

5 hours ago, Socketosis said:

It's sort of like that with celebrities. If Kevin James was thin, he wouldn't have a career anymore.

Kevin James still has a career? :V

I know what you mean though, if a celebrity has an iconic look it's impossible to change it without people freaking out. That's why Bob Ross was never allowed to trim his 'fro. 

• Like 3