Suicide

FlynnCoyote

Earlier today, the boss came out to the factory floor while we were working and told us that a former co-worker had hanged himself, either that morning or during the night. Police are still treating it as a crime scene for the time being which I suppose is the right call. He did tend to associate with some less desirable types,but at the same time his life had taken a few turns for the worse recently.

It hasn't really hit me yet, and I'm not sure what I'm going to feel when/if it does. I've never been able to sympathize with people who do this. He's left behind an ex wife (one of his bad turns recently) and two young children. 

4 minutes ago, Vae said:

I'm of the general opinion that suicide is one of the highest levels of personal autonomy someone has.

So I mean, if he went through with that, it's kind of his own decision.

I can understand that in principle. But in his case, I just don't understand why. He hit a low point, but he was well on his way back up and his life was definitely stable.

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Sometimes people feel like they exhausted those options and feel like there are no others and commit suicide. 

There are always more options. Some people just don't try hard enough, and give up.

1 hour ago, Socketosis said:

If you've never experienced the state of mind where you're more comfortable with ending it all than forcing yourself to live out a miserable existence, then you'll never understand. If you've managed to recover, you are truly fortunate.

I'm ready to die, every day I wake up ready for it.

Have I contemplated suicide? Once or twice. Will I do it? Never.

I'm not fortunate, I'm determined to see life through.

...I'm not really sure how to respond to people's surprisingly strong views on suicide that are being exhibited in this thread.

The decision to commit suicide is not often made rationally, so I do not feel that it can simply be viewed either as an exercise of autonomy or as a form of surrender, made after a rational assessment of one's situation.

Offering help or medical referral is probably more useful than offering judgement, if you know somebody is considering suicide.

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Offering help or medical referral is probably more useful than offering judgement, if you know somebody is considering suicide.

One of my friends was very suicidal, I was states away at the time and could do nothing about it. But two of my friends spent 48h with her trying to keep her alive, only for her to try again when one dosed off and the other went to the bathroom. They ended up taking her to the hospital where a professional gave her a bipolar diagnosis and medication for it. She still has lots of bad days but it's managable. 

So if you're ever wondering if you can help a suicidal person, please get them to the hospital where people are actually equipt to help, or call people who can assess the situation better, like their family. 

• Like 5

I think of it as being set on fire. The people on the outside are like, "DUMBY! JUST STOP DROP AND ROLL". I'm positive the person who is in the state of committing suicide knows that, but that moment you go ablaze, all normal thought process is out the window. It turns into a sudden panic and then either they are able to pull their mind from that panic to a viable solution(aka positive outlook and different perspective) or the fire consumes them and down they go. Easier said and done when you're outside of your fire moment.

• Like 18

When I saw the thread title, I thought someone was contemplating suicide and that we need to help. As it turned out, it already happened >`<

RIP 

31 minutes ago, Saxon said:

The decision to commit suicide is not often made rationally, so I do not feel that it can simply be viewed either as an exercise of autonomy or as a form of surrender, made after a rational assessment of one's situation.

A little personal anecdote here. 

In the past I have contemplated suicide. More times than I'd like to admit. Those were truly grim times for me but in the end, I can say there were two things that have kept me alive to this day to type this post in: Fear and Rationality. 

Rationality has always been one of my strong points. I assess the situation I am in and ask myself "What can I do to make my situation better". When I answer myself, the things I could do are still in my control or could be and that I just need to do them to make my situation better. I know what needs to be done. 

Fear of death is another one, partly due to my rational side telling me that there is no afterlife, just... an empty void. So the rational side keeps delaying dying until the inevitable end of my days. 

I fear that the people who have a stronger emotional side but no close ones to take care of (or having close ones taking care of them) are more prone to just cave in to their negative emotions and suicide without seeing the big picture. 

Speaking of all this, I wonder how many people who have suicided have regretted their decision after it was too late. The coworker who hung himself must have panicked and felt horrible as he was strangling to death. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toshabi said:

I think of it as being set on fire. The people on the outside are like, "DUMBY! JUST STOP DROP AND ROLL". I'm positive the person who is in the state of committing suicide knows that, but that moment you go ablaze, all normal thought process is out the window. It turns into a sudden panic and then either they are able to pull their mind from that panic to a viable solution(aka positive outlook and different perspective) or the fire consumes them and down they go. Easier said and done when you're outside of your fire moment.

I'd say this is true for most cases. Some people just struggle with severe depression and suicidal thoughts for literally decades of their life. It's this slow painful struggle where they eventually end up losing hope of ever getting better. Nothing seems to help and their situation deteriorates as time goes on. They end up feeling numb to everything as life becomes a meaningless chore that they have to endure day in and day out. It's hard to continue on when you feel you've lost all reason to live. These restless feelings eat at them for so long until they've eventually had enough of it.

For many people, I can't always say I wouldn't have done the same. The judgement surrounding it angers me to no end.

Last month, I almost committed suicide. If it weren't for a call I received from my brother, I would have gone through with it. 

There was also a big dose and shame and regret and I spent about 45minutes bawling my eyes out on a phone before one of the hobos asked if I was okay and brought me a small coffee from 7-11. The thought about abandoning all survival instincts and rationale scared me when it hit me. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Last month, I almost committed suicide. If it weren't for a call I received from my brother, I would have gone through with it. 

There was also a big dose and shame and regret and I spent about 45minutes bawling my eyes out on a phone before one of the hobos asked if I was okay and brought me a small coffee from 7-11. The thought about abandoning all survival instincts and rationale scared me when it hit me. 

sometimes the most human person you know is someone who has nothing. Take care of yourself, zeke.

@FlynnCoyote, dealing with suicide, in any way, forces you to think of your own mentality. Some folks take it as a knee-jerk strong reaction, some folks throw a party, some folks remember when they were too cowardly to go through with it and become jealous of the deceased. Whatever plauged your coworker, He died thinking he could escape it. There's a little happiness to be gleaned from that. His pain, whatever it was, is finally over.

Take care of yourself. Do something you enjoy. Remind yourself why you're still here on this earth, and do something that makes you feel alive in celebration and in mourning, however you do it. 

Everyone else, this is NOT the thread to start your petty fucking squabbles over what you believe OP's coworker should have done. This is a thread about OP's coworker, not the place to debate if suicide is the right choice or not. This is not a pissing contest. 

Just now, Mr. Fox said:

And yet you remain a mod on a forum that mostly (or so it seems) revolves around drama?

Maybe it's time to take break, Zeke. 

To be fair, this place doesn't bother me despite whatever mess that pops up here. I take this place with small strides to check on what I need to do before doing something else.

4 minutes ago, Zeke said:

To be fair, this place doesn't bother me despite whatever mess that pops up here. I take this place with small strides to check on what I need to do before doing something else.

Oh, okay. Well just take care of yourself anyway.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

And yet you remain a mod on a forum that mostly (or so it seems) revolves around drama?

Maybe it's time to take a break, Zeke. 

Either you're just callously insensitive or you're too dull to cut melted butter and thought this was actually a funny joke.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, XoPachi said:

Either you're just callously insensitive or you're too dull to cut melted butter and thought this was actually a funny joke.

You know, I really hate people like that. People who legit think they think involving yourself in X, Y, Z pushes you more in the red zone for depression. Like someone can be depressed about a life event and some snob will come on in and say "WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST STOP DOING X ACTIVITIES". But then what? The worst thing for depression is an idle mind. Community, hell, communication in general is what keeps people from completely going off the deep end. 

I dunno, snide remarks like "Lol, moron, why you do this then" directed towards people suffering depression always strikes me as something only said by the most ignorant of people. 

• Like 5

Just now, XoPachi said:

It wasn't supposed to be a joke nor insensitive, it was merely a friendly suggestion...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

I've seen people on this forum treat each other very badly. This place has a thin veneer of fun and supportiveness that rest on top of a deep layer of people telling lies, spreading rumours, back stabbing, and other total garbage behaviour. I can see how this is a source of depression for a lot of people. 

As a place for people who don't fit in you think people would try and be more considerate and treat each other better. Instead there's a passive aggressive bullying hierarchy that exists in places like this. Which is sad because the people who populate places like this need support more than anyone. 

The last person I knew that killed themselves did it because they were prescribed anti-depressants. They were depressed and unable to do anything. Then they started taking medication and got all kinds of energy and started selling or giving away their possessions, cleaning up paperwork, getting things really organized. When they had their life totally together they hung themselves in the garage.

When their kids got home with the car they pressed the garage door opener and saw their father's lifeless body handing there. Talk about traumatic. Apparently he wanted to kill himself for a long time but was too depressed and didn't want to leave a mess for everyone. Medication gave him the energy and confidence to actually clean up his life so he could kill himself. Was giving him the medication the right decision? Was it better to let his stay depressed but keep living? I guess nobody will ever know. 

Undercurrents of depression run everywhere in life and especially in places like this one. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

I've seen people on this forum treat each other very badly. This place has a thin veneer of fun and supportiveness that rest on top of a deep layer of people telling lies, spreading rumours, back stabbing, and other total garbage behaviour. I can see how this is a source of depression for a lot of people. 

As a place for people who don't fit in you think people would try and be more considerate and treat each other better. Instead there's a passive aggressive bullying hierarchy that exists in places like this. Which is sad because the people who populate places like this need support more than anyone. 

The last person I knew that killed themselves did it because they were prescribed anti-depressants. They were depressed and unable to do anything. Then they started taking medication and got all kinds of energy and started selling or giving away their possessions, cleaning up paperwork, getting things really organized. When they had their life totally together they hung themselves in the garage.

When their kids got home with the car they pressed the garage door opener and saw their father's lifeless body handing there. Talk about traumatic. Apparently he wanted to kill himself for a long time but was too depressed and didn't want to leave a mess for everyone. Medication gave him the energy and confidence to actually clean up his life so he could kill himself. Was giving him the medication the right decision? Was it better to let his stay depressed but keep living? I guess nobody will ever know. 

Undercurrents of depression run everywhere in life and especially in places like this one. 

I like your post a lot better and also agree with you mostly. I'm not contesting what Fox said, just his usual insensitive spiteful way in how he said it toward Zeke. Like he was blaming her choices for feeling like dirt. It was in line with the usual snob crap he says then reports responses he should fully expect coming.
I don't think this place is completely bad, but it has it's moments and that's when I duck out and come back another time as I have done so in the past.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Why is it that I rarely ever see this bad stuff people talk about on this forum?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

Why is it that I rarely ever see this bad stuff people talk about on this forum?

You just shrug it off. Which is a good thing. It's a healthy antidote to a lot of the crap people say and do. 

I mean I think you used to hate me and now maybe you don't? So that kinda shows that you can let crap go and move on.

Which is actually an excellent quality to have as a person. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lucyfish said:

For me, it's a general attitude that gets fostered here sometimes. It hasn't been nearly as bad lately (at least in the actual forums, I can't speak for the Discord since I don't use it) but it can get annoyingly overly serious. Especially when politics are brought up and people go on for pages over WEEKS just...arguing. Like why? Why are you yelling at each other typing paragraphs upon paragraphs of talking at each other and just ruining the climate of the forum like you're really going to convince someone? It's not too often, but it does get out of hand sometimes.

• Like 3

Just now, #00Buck said:

You just shrug it off. Which is a good thing. It's a healthy antidote to a lot of the crap people say and do. 

I mean I think you used to hate me and now maybe you don't? So that kinda shows that you can let crap go and move on.

Which is actually an excellent quality to have as a person. 

I can't hold a grudge to save my life. Though honestly, when it comes to this forum, I just don't see the hate people talk about.

It might also be because I've been on forums like FAF and Facepunch, which are LEAGUES worse than Phoenix could EVER be.

Hell, on Facepunch, mods will actively go against you BECAUSE you're not a hateful prick. "Oh, you're a nice respectful person? I'm gonna get all my mod friends and make fun of you, and then we'll ban you when you stand up for yourself!"

Yeah, compared to other forums I've been on, Phoenix is very tame and friendly.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

I like your post a lot better and also agree with you mostly. I'm not contesting what Fox said, just his usual insensitive spiteful way in how he said it toward Zeke. Like he was blaming her choices for feeling like dirt. It was in line with the usual snob crap he says then reports responses he should fully expect coming.
I don't think this place is completely bad, but it has it's moments and that's when I duck out and come back another time as I have done so in the past.

Yeah, I feel you for sure. I just saw a chance to make my serious post for the day. Everyone here knows I sort of joke about the "suicide threat of the week." But I do seriously care about people taking the proper steps when it comes to feeling suicidal and seeking professional help in that regard. There are some really nice people on here who struggle with depression and suicidal thoughts and it makes me personally feel more at ease when I know something I've said or done has helped them turn away from those negative feelings. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enigma said:

It's sad to hear of a death. But I agree its hard to sympathize with such a person.

It's pure cowardice. The ultimate way of giving up. 

There are always other options, you can't give in.

Cowardice?

No.

Offing oneself is not an act of cowardice. It's extremely hard to do on purpose. Go on, go ahead. Grab a knife and cut yourself. Go on a roof and teeter on the edge. Hesitant? Didn't really go deep? That's your self preservation instinct holding you back.

One of the pillars upon which human behaviour is built, is self preservation instinct. Overcoming that in a deliberate attempt is not easy, and not an act a coward would do. Do you think he wanted to leave his kids and wife behind? Pretty sure that's a no for that, social obligations and love are strong ties. His life must have felt EXTREMELY shitty to even consider leaving them behind.

You can counterargument that it's selfish. But no, it's not really that either. When a person has given up all hope and goes for the last action of their life, do you think they've just suddenly got the idea for suicide? I guara-fucking-tee you that it's not the first time. They've done the selfless act of hanging on still, some for years, some less than that. Nobody has the capacity to do or be what everyone else wants forever.

Another counterargument you could say is that he was well on his way in life, but here's a newsflash, suicide occurs from depression. Depression is an illness, comparable to any physical trauma. Just the same as having a happy life won't bring a lost limb back, neither does a life look good for a person with depression regardless of facts.

I get a little heated when someone says suicide is an act of cowardice. It's more cowardly to call people as cowards when you have no fucking idea what the preceding life is for that person. You have no right.

• Like 20

Just now, Lucyfish said:

I can't hold a grudge to save my life. Though honestly, when it comes to this forum, I just don't see the hate people talk about.

It might also be because I've been on forums like FAF and Facepunch, which are LEAGUES worse than Phoenix could EVER be.

Hell, on Facepunch, mods will actively go against you BECAUSE you're not a hateful prick. "Oh, you're a nice respectful person? I'm gonna get all my mod friends and make fun of you, and then we'll ban you when you stand up for yourself!"

You're also remarkably tough and have a very strong personality. These are also good things. I think the people on the forum who are not quite as strong or confident are the ones at the highest risk of being bulled and picked on. You also have life experiences that you survived that would cause other people to crack. When I first met you I didn't appreciate you enough. I now have way more respect for you. Plus I enjoy your posts. 

3 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Yeah basically.

I mean like when was the last real drama anyways? Most people like the mods around here and here everyone at the very least tolerates each other.

• Like 1

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

Yeah basically.

I mean like when was the last real drama anyways? Most people like the mods around here and here everyone at the very least tolerates each other.

I did say there was a venire of nice stuff with a layer of badness underneath. 

The real crap is under the surface. You know this is true. 

2 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Cowardice?

No.

Offing oneself is not an act of cowardice. It's extremely hard to do on purpose. Go on, go ahead. Grab a knife and cut yourself. Go on a roof and teeter on the edge. Hesitant? Didn't really go deep? That's your self preservation instinct holding you back.

One of the pillars upon which human behaviour is built, is self preservation instinct. Overcoming that in a deliberate attempt is not easy, and not an act a coward would do. Do you think he wanted to leave his kids and wife behind? Pretty sure that's a no for that, social obligations and love are strong ties. His life must have felt EXTREMELY shitty to even consider leaving them behind.

You can counterargument that it's selfish. But no, it's not really that either. When a person has given up all hope and goes for the last action of their life, do you think they've just suddenly got the idea for suicide? I guara-fucking-tee you that it's not the first time. They've done the selfless act of hanging on still, some for years, some less than that. Nobody has the capacity to do or be what everyone else wants forever.

Another counterargument you could say is that he was well on his way in life, but here's a newsflash, suicide occurs from depression. Depression is an illness, comparable to any physical trauma. Just the same as having a happy life won't bring a lost limb back, neither does a life look good for a person with depression regardless of facts.

I get a little heated when someone says suicide is an act of cowardice. It's more cowardly to call people as cowards when you have no fucking idea what the preceding life is for that person. You have no right.

Suicidal tendencies and thoughts are a struggle and a battle. Losing that battle does not make you a coward. Fighting the battle at all makes you insanely brave, and winning the battle makes you a fucking hero.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Compared to Enigma's post, Fox's was more crass than condescending. Perhaps it wasn't the best words to use, but I do not think it was the least bit of trying to put me down for staying. lol

As much as this place can be stressful when shit hits the fan, I do like it here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

Suicidal tendencies and thoughts are a struggle and a battle. Losing that battle does not make you a coward. Fighting the battle at all makes you insanely brave, and winning the battle makes you a fucking hero.

Also it is odd what finally puts someone over the edge. All I wanted was a pepsi. Just one pepsi. People think that someone is freaking out over the smallest thing when really they've been struggling their whole life and that one final thing is too much to take. 

Some people don't kill themselves and end up being institutionalized. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

You took the words right out of my mouth man, my thoughts exactly. That's why if you're dealing with suicidal tendencies, it's best to drop whatever stress you can, this very forum being no exception. 

That said, I wish Zeke and anyone else that is dealing with depression and suicide the best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

MOOOOOM ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI

That's probably why he wanted to off himself, Pepsi is fucking garbage and if you're THAT desperate for garbage......

Personally I prefer coke but I'm not into caffeine lately so I'm drinking diet A&W root beer. 

But I still like early 90's sk8 metal. 

Just now, Mr. Fox said:

You took the words right out of my mouth man, my thoughts exactly. That's why if you're dealing with suicidal tendencies, it's best to drop whatever stress you can, this very forum being no exception. 

That said, I wish Zeke and anyone else that is dealing with depression and suicide the best.

I kind figured you were thinking the same thing so I made a serious post about it. 

@FlynnCoyote I can't force you to sympathize with what he's done: he's left burdens on his wife, kids, family and friends, but coming the decision to commit suicide is not an easy one. It takes quite a bit of time for your emotions to attack your body. 

If your boss was close to your former co-worker, they might fall into the grieving cycle which may affect how they interact with you and your co-workers. I urge you to support your boss in that time, even if you don't feel anything for the dead man.

• Like 1

Big thread...

My view on suicide is it should never be condoned. Ever. Its not a way out and there are always options to continue fighting for. Life isnt meant to be easy. Its a fight for survival, and a fight to feel better and to be better, it wasnt meant to be always happy.

I would never allow my friends or family to harm themselves. That said, can they? Ultimately, I cant always hold the knife or gun back, ultimately as said above everyone is autonomous for their own life, good or bad.

Nobody has control but YOU. Thats the scary thing about life, you cant blame anyone or anything else...you can let go or you can make it better but its up to you.

Vice versa, If someone takes their own life, thats something we have to accept because its been done, and if we did everything we could to help, then nothing else could be done to stop it.

My apologies for your coworker, thats a rough situation. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Terminal7 said:

@FlynnCoyote I can't force you to sympathize with what he's done: he's left burdens on his wife, kids, family and friends, but coming the decision to commit suicide is not an easy one. It takes quite a bit of time for your emotions to attack your body. 

If your boss was close to your former co-worker, they might fall into the grieving cycle which may affect how they interact with you and your co-workers. I urge you to support your boss in that time, even if you don't feel anything for the dead man.

Yo for real I like it when the occasional thread goes like this where people speak from the heart like my homie T7. 

There isn't enough of this on the forum. I know lot of people here are good people and have stuff to share. 

Over time people have on occasion posted threads where they share real stuff. It's happening a little more frequently than it used to. 

I just want to give props to those who are opening up. Cheers! I have mad respect for you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Big thread...

My view on suicide is it should never be condoned. Ever. Its not a way out and there are always options to continue fighting for. Life isnt meant to be easy. Its a fight for survival, and a fight to feel better and to be better, it wasnt meant to be always happy.

I would never allow my friends or family to harm themselves. That said, can they? Ultimately, I cant always hold the knife or gun back, ultimately as said above everyone is autonomous for their own life, good or bad.

Nobody has control but YOU. Thats the scary thing about life, you cant blame anyone or anything else...you can let go or you can make it better but its up to you.

Vice versa, If someone takes their own life, thats something we have to accept because its been done, and if we did everything we could to help, then nothing else could be done to stop it.

My apologies for your coworker, thats a rough situation. 

I'm Japanese so suicide has a different context for me than it does for other people. Under certain circumstances choosing to die or to sacrifice your life can be seen as a way of doing something that would normally be impossible or restoring balance where no balance could normally be found. It would never be something that would be taken lightly or done simply because someone was depressed or feeling bad. It would be done as a calculated act knowing that there would be permanent beneficial results from the sacrifice. I'm not saying Japanese people don't also get depressed and kill themselves but there is a second side to it that non Japanese people don't understand.