The Emoji Movie.....blerg

DevilishlyHandsome49

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Let's be charitable. Angry Birds seemed like a dumb idea for a movie, but I quite enjoyed it in a quiet, low-key way.

*Actually watches the trailer*

...kill it with fire.

MLP, Angry birds, and lego movies were all good movies. Even though it was a really annoying ploy for the company to sell the product, there is some major props to the animators who innovated the content already there and proactively word built, character developed, and fine-tuned the plotline with what they were given to work with.

...ordinarily this would be no different, but...the content is just so cringeworthy, the fact that theyre making a movie out of faces on a phone

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

MLP, Angry birds, and lego movies were all good movies. Even though it was a really annoying ploy for the company to sell the product, there is some major props to the animators who innovated the content already there and proactively word built, character developed, and fine-tuned the plotline with what they were given to work with.

...ordinarily this would be no different, but...the content is just so cringeworthy, the fact that theyre making a movie out of faces on a phone

Well, there's no inherent world for them to play with really, is there? I can't even envisage what kind of opposition the heroes are going to rail against. Presumably there will be an Angry Face who's the villain doing something bad like... uh... insisting on proper grammar in text messages... or... um. 

Wait, maybe the enemy are internet memes like TrollFace? No, that's dumb too.

Maybe they'll eat the alphabet and force everybody to communicate only with pictures, with hi-lari-ous results? Guh.

This is going to be much the same kind of movie as The Secret Life of Pets, isn't it? Sold entirely on the single-dimensional personalities of the characters and a flimsy fit-anywhere plot.

• Like 1

The plot...

"Unlock the never-before-seen secret world inside your smartphone. Hidden within the messaging app is Textopolis, a bustling city where all your favorite emojis live, hoping to be selected by the phone's user. In this world, each emoji has only one facial expression - except for Gene, an exuberant emoji who was born without a filter and is bursting with multiple expressions. Determined to become "normal" like the other emojis, Gene enlists the help of his handy best friend Hi-5 and the notorious code breaker emoji Jailbreak. Together, they embark on an epic "app-venture" through the apps on the phone, each its own wild and fun world, to find the Code that will fix Gene. But when a greater danger threatens the phone, the fate of all emojis depends on these three unlikely friends who must save their world before it's deleted forever."

7 hours ago, Gator said:

time to make :V: the mo:V

No

35 minutes ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

The plot...

"Unlock the never-before-seen secret world inside your smartphone. Hidden within the messaging app is Textopolis, a bustling city where all your favorite emojis live, hoping to be selected by the phone's user. In this world, each emoji has only one facial expression - except for Gene, an exuberant emoji who was born without a filter and is bursting with multiple expressions. Determined to become "normal" like the other emojis, Gene enlists the help of his handy best friend Hi-5 and the notorious code breaker emoji Jailbreak. Together, they embark on an epic "app-venture" through the apps on the phone, each its own wild and fun world, to find the Code that will fix Gene. But when a greater danger threatens the phone, the fate of all emojis depends on these three unlikely friends who must save their world before it's deleted forever."

It's trying so hard to be Lego Movie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Huh, I had no idea a Lego or Angry Birds movie existed...the terrors I discover here sometimes. We might need another kind of 'Lantern' section to help protect those of us with refined artistic sensibilities! :V 

No man, you dont understand, the lego movie was actually really amazing, I was quite surprised myself.

17 minutes ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

And hints of Inside Out

...its definitely trying for inside out with the whole emotion thing. The difference is inside out is actually good

1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Huh, I had no idea a Lego or Angry Birds movie existed...the terrors I discover here sometimes. We might need another kind of 'Lantern' section to help protect those of us with refined artistic sensibilities! :V 

Wouldn't those people be better off avoiding pretty much every widely theatrically released movie?

2 hours ago, Faust said:

This is going to be much the same kind of movie as The Secret Life of Pets, isn't it? Sold entirely on the single-dimensional personalities of the characters and a flimsy fit-anywhere plot.

Oh well I must be super basic then, I rated SloP (lol) as an okay movie, I liked the jokes and the animation, even if the characters and plot was meh. I think I've seen worse

2 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Oh well I must be super basic then, I rated SloP (lol) as an okay movie, I liked the jokes and the animation, even if the characters and plot was meh. I think I've seen worse

To be fair, if you put importance of characters and plot - or even dialogue that sounds like a real person might say - you can pretty much write off every widely theatrically released movie in the last few years.

1 minute ago, Tyranno said:

To be fair, if you put importance of characters and plot - or even dialogue that sounds like a real person might say - you can pretty much write off every widely theatrically released movie in the last few years.

That's the thing though I did like the dialogue, it had that awkward, relatable and silly tinge that kinda made Anna endearing in the whole Frozen movie. 

37 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

So it is essentially Wreck-It-Ralph but with emojis?

Then again, if people wanted a script with more thought put into it than changing superficial elements, they could write off pretty much every wide theatrical movie.

(I'm only doing this because doing it twice so close seemed like running joke material)

10 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Emoticons are the superior use of textual-visual communication >:[

Honestly, I don't know what the difference is. Aren't emojis just smilies, which are just graphical representations of textual representations of facial expressions? All of this mobile garbage has me left in the dark. They even added these little shits to Unicode. Also they didn't capture the 'meh' very well. That looks more like he's hungover.

FacepalmEmoji.jpg

1 hour ago, Socketosis said:

Honestly, I don't know what the difference is. Aren't emojis just smilies, which are just graphical representations of textual representations of facial expressions? All of this mobile garbage has me left in the dark. They even added these little shits to Unicode. Also they didn't capture the 'meh' very well. That looks more like he's hungover.

FacepalmEmoji.jpg

Emoticons use alphanumerical and special characters to create amorphous patterns we recognize as a facial structure, and it takes a lot of creative input to see them, emojis are bland and unexciting in comparison.

But them again Im an oldfag that grew up in the early heyday of the internets starting out with Colon-right parenthese and beyond

...even then though they dont really deserve an entire movie either.

6 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Emoticons use alphanumerical and special characters to create amorphous patterns we recognize as a facial structure, and it takes a lot of creative input to see them, emojis are bland and unexciting in comparison.

But them again Im an oldfag that grew up in the early heyday of the internets starting out with Colon-right parenthese and beyond

B-but I've seen the term "emoticons" used for the little graphic things too, which have been around since at least the year 2000 (I remember them being on MSN Messenger and possibly ICQ). Then this emoji term started floating around a few years ago and has me all confused. :S

13 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

B-but I've seen the term "emoticons" used for the little graphic things too, which have been around since at least the year 2000 (I remember them being on MSN Messenger and possibly ICQ). Then this emoji term started floating around a few years ago and has me all confused. :S

IDK, Emoji seems to be exclusively for iPhone graphics. Emoticons might have some range, I guess more apt/specifically they would be text emoticons or text smilies.

• Like 1

The term emoji itself comes from Japan, but Apple I guess popularized it and theirs are the most recognized. As for the difference, emoticons deal strictly with facial expression and mood. Emojis can convey emotions and ideas

I really don't even know what to think of this movie. There's nothing remotely appealing about it and the fact that the poop emoji is in it means that about 70% of the jokes are going to involve anticipating the word 'shit' to be said. Really just looks like an effort to further force emojis into mainstream culture for no reason or to make kids force their parents into taking them to see it because I'm pretty sure they're the only people who'd get any enjoyment from this

11 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

I never actually saw either of these movies, but the Lego Movie was nominated for an Academy Award. It lost to Frozen though iirc

And the Angry Birds movie was just decent, though surprisingly better than what people were thinking it was going to be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, willow said:

The term emoji itself comes from Japan, but Apple I guess popularized it and theirs are the most recognized

I really don't even know what to think of this movie. There's nothing remotely appealing about it and the fact that the poop emoji is in it means that about 70% of the jokes are going to involve anticipating the word 'shit' to be said. Really just looks like an effort to further force emojis into mainstream culture for no reason or to make kids force their parents into taking them to see it because I'm pretty sure they're the only people who'd get any enjoyment from this

I never actually saw either of these movies, but the Lego Movie was nominated for an Academy Award. It lost to Frozen though iirc

And the Angry Birds movie was just decent, though surprisingly better than what people were thinking it was going to be.

Huh, I think this shows I am out of much of the current pop-cultural loop! Ah, well. I did have tons of Legos as a kid, and I loved 'em. Probably my favorite toy, along with my Hot Wheels cars, and Star Wars Toys. Me and my brother always made Lego jails for Darth Vader, but he'd always escape.

13 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

No, that's exactly what I mean :) It WAS an OK movie, but it was only saved by the gags.

• Like 1