guise i want a pet

Gator

but i live with my grandma (trying to find an affordable place to move rn) and she hates animals so it'd have to be something very small, quiet, and confined to a tank/cage.  aka: a fish, reptile, or amphibian.  i don't really want fish because transporting them when i move is gonna be a pain in the ass.  i guess bugs are also an option; i do really like praying mantises.  but idk how easy they are to keep and i love reptiles/amphibians so...

what is a good scaly (or not-so-scaly) pal for someone with minimal space and budget?  initial setup cost isn't a huge concern, but ongoing cost of care is something i gotta take into consideration 'cause i wanna make sure i don't get something i can't provide for.  a pet is a long-term investment, so i must choose wisely.  recommendations needed.

i mean, it's just a consideration for now; no immediate plans, but yeah.  it's lonely around here :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Jar of algae. I had one once and it was great.

can u eat it when you get tired of it

3 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Get a snail. Or a robotic pet.

no robotic overlords ever in my house

snails r ok

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Get a snail.

Not actually such a bad idea. My father kept Giant African Land Snails for many years. They have a good, long lifespan, are fairly easy and cheap to keep, and are pretty interesting too. Ok you don't want to stroke or cuddle them much, but all you really need is a fair-sized aquarium, some soil and non-toxic foliage, a heating pad if you live somewhere cold (though they can hibernate) and lots of sweet, sweet lettuce. And if you have two, you can breed them and you don't even need to get them sexed first as they're hermaphrodite.

Alternatively, get a tiger. Your granny won't like it, but it'll soon eat her so... problem solved!

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

Reptilians are pretty expensive

Maybe you want Chinchillas .

They are really kyot

why df would i keep a rodent in my house

5 hours ago, Faust said:

Not actually such a bad idea. My father kept Giant African Land Snails for many years. They have a good, long lifespan, are fairly easy and cheap to keep, and are pretty interesting too. Ok you don't want to stroke or cuddle them much, but all you really need is a fair-sized aquarium, some soil and non-toxic foliage, a heating pad if you live somewhere cold (though they can hibernate) and lots of sweet, sweet lettuce. And if you have two, you can breed them and you don't even need to get them sexed first as they're hermaphrodite.

Alternatively, get a tiger. Your granny won't like it, but it'll soon eat her so... problem solved!

well it's illegal to keep african land snails here but not tigers so i guess i'm getting a fucking tiger

7 hours ago, Gator said:

[french noises]

snails r boring tho

No you just need patience ;P

5 hours ago, Gator said:

why df would i keep a rodent in my house

Because they're so puffy and cute:

400px-Chinchilla-Soelvmarmorert.jpg

More information from Dwarf Fortress Wiki:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Chinchilla

"With a lifespan of 10 years or more, they make decent long-term companions to dwarves who adopt them."

If you're a proper dwarf you'll get one nao ;P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gator said:

i aint no damn dwarf i am a reptile and i need a fellow reptile to keep me company >:(  y'all suck at this

rats is not reptiles

In that case accept nothing less than a komodo dragon. That can also eat your grannie.

800px-Komodo_dragon_stalking_deer.png

Komodo dragon hanging out with a Timor deer. It usually wears a collar containing GPS tracker and electronic counter measures against Russian hackers.

8 hours ago, Gator said:

rats is not reptiles

No, but BIRDS are! Get a budgie!

4 hours ago, Nova said:

If they are cut apart into two parts than both parts turn into two worms.

Certain species are so incredibly hardy and can regenerate right the way back up to a full worm from only 1/256th part!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Red Lion said:

I'd go with a blue tongued skink or a leopard gecko. Crested gecko is also a reasonable option.

skink and gecko are my favs so far

but which one is right?

toads are also not out of the running tbh because they are precious to me

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a hognose snake. They're typically very harmless and easy to keep. And bonus, they eat about once a week. Just be sure grandma would be okay with some f/t mice in the freezer. I have one and they are pretty hardy and don't have a lot of temperature requirements. Housing for them is easy - some people set up tuppers for them because they are burrowing snakes.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:07 PM, MortimusMaximus said:

I would suggest a hognose snake. They're typically very harmless and easy to keep. And bonus, they eat about once a week. Just be sure grandma would be okay with some f/t mice in the freezer. I have one and they are pretty hardy and don't have a lot of temperature requirements. Housing for them is easy - some people set up tuppers for them because they are burrowing snakes.

finally

i did consider these, though i'm sure grandma would have something to say about mice in the freezer.  ¬¬  i'd probably have to get a mini fridge...

though at least she's not (quite) as wacky as my mom.  my mom thinks snakes and black animals are literally satan.

21 hours ago, Gator said:

finally

i did consider these, though i'm sure grandma would have something to say about mice in the freezer.  ¬¬  i'd probably have to get a mini fridge...

though at least she's not (quite) as wacky as my mom.  my mom thinks snakes and black animals are literally satan.

That's unfortunate because like I said, hognoses at worst are just dramatic. I have one myself and he's the bees knees. I've had him for... Five years I think?? Really my only complaint with him is that he gets really food excited and tries to eat whatever touches him (including himself) when he goes into his eating container. I had to revoke napkins from it because he'd try and eat those, too. Best advice I can give you for them is to keep them on f/t because live is more expensive + dangerous... And also, in my personal opinion, a pain in the ass.

15 hours ago, MortimusMaximus said:

That's unfortunate because like I said, hognoses at worst are just dramatic. I have one myself and he's the bees knees. I've had him for... Five years I think?? Really my only complaint with him is that he gets really food excited and tries to eat whatever touches him (including himself) when he goes into his eating container. I had to revoke napkins from it because he'd try and eat those, too. Best advice I can give you for them is to keep them on f/t because live is more expensive + dangerous... And also, in my personal opinion, a pain in the ass.

;v;

stop tempting me satan

• 3 months later...

Hello, am vry late to partee

I second dragons and different types of geckos, maintenance is super duper easy as opposed to other reptile species. Sneks are low maintenance too if you can handle buying and storing rats. Leopards and cresties from what I've gathered don't need humidity or lighting requirements as much, just heat and regular temps. Beardies on the other hand need UV-A/UV-B and a certain kind of humidity. For bulbs I always get https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQG6DRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because it's the perfect all encompassing bulb for one price (~$44.00 but worth it since it lasts 6 months to a year, 18+ if you have a UVB meter apparently)

As far as I'm aware, geckos are carnivorous/insectivorous, so they only eat insects (superworms, crickets, and dubias). Whereas beardies are omnivorous and eat green vegetables (mustard greens, turnip greens, collard green, bok choy) and insects (same as gekkos). If you start with a baby, they require a higher insect diet for growth, so start them off on a good regular supply of crickets or small dubias and a little bit of greens. When they become adults you can switch to greens as staple with insects as secondary feeders.

Currently my two beardies are the best babies and loves of my life. Rio is my one year old "beefmama" as I call her since she's gotten so big and I've reared her as a smol lizard. Reyna is my five year old who I readopted from some college jock going away to school. Their personalities are different as can be! Rio is lazy as fuck, but she's docile and takes to handling, she'll lick my finger if I place it in front of her jaw when she's out of her tank and running about, which is great because it means she's testing her environment and she feels comfortable and safe there! When I let her out she'll run for a bit then find a spot to sleep in. Reyna on the other hand runs around like crazy, she'll try to climb on everything and run on anything. The worst part is she'll eat anything off the floor so I have to keep an eye on her and the floor, she'll eat friggin cat food (further solidifying my suspicion that they are actually cats), so I have to watch them to make sure they're okay and lizard/catproof the house. Reyna is very skittish though and will flinch if you touch her.

This was hecka long ago so you probably thought about it enough already, so I'm using this thread to rave about my lizzars, and just an fyi if you get any in the future ;3c