That New Forum Smell

Caretaker

Well it wouldnt have to be moderated at all.

Yes it would. If not then people would start using it as a loophole around the forum rules to say, harass someone or spam.

I think it's a bad idea and also removes conversation from threads on the very forum it's on. If you want an IM style chat then just join one of the few forum based skype groups that people have running.

Edited by Kalmor
  • Like 2

Yes it would. If not then people would start using it as a loophole around the forum rules to say, harass someone or spam.

I think it's a bad idea and also removes conversation from threads on the very forum it's on. If you want an IM style chat then just join one of the few forum based skype groups that people have running.

Yeah the fuzzbucket skype group is awesome. Its just that I know a few forums with a shoutbox and a few where I actually have to moderate and we never had bad experiences with it. Its cool to just.. Yea chat xD

But not my decision, was just  an idea :)

Ah, found another thing. Having an option to disable automatic emoticons. I HATE using them, and because some are tied to generic combos like "x D", I have to avoid doing some faces that I usually might to punctuate a post, because I can't tell it to not parse it as an emoticon.

I change the triggers from "x D" to ":biggrin:" in which case you wouldn't get an automatic emote but users could still choose to add them. I do like them however so I would want to take a wider sample of feedback before considering that change.

You can't get rid of a Bean-sídhe that easily! I would sing for the old forum but you know it already died so I suppose I'm a bit late on that.

I've got a couple requests:

1. Can we get something akin to The Black Hole made, if it wasn't already?
  2. How about a section for other subculture and lifestyle interests? Some of us like myself aren't into Furry as much, but are hip deep in others.

I've got a few suggestions for forum rules that are reasonable and should make us all happier in the long run:

1. No obnoxious font as a posting habit. This includes gigantic/unreasonably small text and any type of colored fonts or styles that would make up the entire body of a post.
  2. Keep the forums SFW, if you have to ask you should reconsider posting it.
  3. No extreme insults directed at users. Discussions can get heated, this is natural and one should take the good with the bad for a healthy means of communication, but they should stay within reasonable civility (For an internet community).
  4. Don't post links to anything illegal, obviously.

I mean you could go on but a lot of it would be the typical common rules in most places. The rules here should be reasonable but not overtly heavy-handed like a couple of other places most of us know. It quashes discussion, and frankly a forum filled with drama is active and alive. It's what separated FAF from Wzl Forums.

Bringing back "The Black Hole" was one of the ideas I had personally, I had not been around for that and it was floated as being quite a bit of harmless fun. If I do not hear any screaming objections then I don't see why that could not be done. Perhaps it could be nestled in under Forum Games ?

A good suggestion that, something to consider moving forward.

I think it would be nice to have little icons under our avatars again, to link to our art galleries, Skype, etc.

Thank you for everything that you've done so far, though! I admire your tenacity despite the setbacks you've had.

The software lets me create "custom profile fields" so I'll play about with those a little and see how best to implement links to: Popular IM services, The major furry art communities etc.

Another suggestion - forum section descriptions.

The reason being that it is a little difficult to determine what a forum is about right now. The names for the forums are great, but some of them aren't very intuitive, so it'd be nice if there were a forum section description or something? Example: http://prntscr.com/8k9zau

I will be adding these, probably within the next few minutes.

All was lost....

This light theme.....

Can't see anything...

Why???.....

d0f640df9d93876ba7ea0164f54aacbf.jpg

Because light-themes are common defaults? That picture also describes the look on my face when I stumble across something that I really did not want to see.

This place is lovely. The features are great, the interface is nifty, and I love the pop-up notifications. 
It feels like it was actually made in the year 2015.

That might be, because it was written in 2015 :P

Custom titles, location, and species would all be great in close proximity to our avatars.

Custom titles are available as an option but might not be visible yet, typically they enable when a certain post-count is reached and it replaces the rank that you have.

I dunno if this has been suggested, but is there some way to limit the content/size of signatures? Right now they're kinda ridiculous. 

As far as rules go, I suppose "Don't spam, don't be an ass with no good reason, don't post/do illegal content, don't post unmarked NSFW content and above all LURK and USE COMMON SENSE" should cover all the bases. 

EDIT: And some sort of autorefresh when you post? While I'm typing a reply it tells me "there's X new replies!" but then I post and it doesn't show those new replies unless I refresh the thread. 

Edited by Corto

As far as rules go, I suppose "Don't spam, don't be an ass with no good reason, don't post/do illegal content, don't post unmarked NSFW content and above all LURK and USE COMMON SENSE" should cover all the bases. 

Indeed, though I'd rather us use the old FAF rules for now (with some obvious omissions) until we can sort out new ones.

Indeed, though I'd rather us use the old FAF rules for now (with some obvious omissions) until we can sort out new ones.

Hey, I understand, I'm fond of those since I helped type them out. But if we're leaving behind the corporate past and adopt a more "laissez faire" state of things, I think minimalistic rules (that leave leeway to interpretation while still being pretty clear) would be much better . That old mess was typed with the exact mindset of "has to cover every situation, leave space for upper management to get whiny, and leave NO room to interpretation because the userbase loves to abuse that crap". A ligther set could possibly work better.

Everyone's signatures can be hidden on either a global or per-user basis.  You can block an obnoxious sig without having to block everyone's sigs.

The handle is at the X on the far right just below the sig bar.

Yeah I have sigs hidden for now. They covered more than half of every thread and were pretty obnoxious. But may just be me being an asshole. 

Hey, I understand, I'm fond of those since I helped type them out. But if we're leaving behind the corporate past and adopt a more "laissez faire" state of things, I think minimalistic rules (that leave leeway to interpretation while still being pretty clear) would be much better . That old mess was typed with the exact mindset of "has to cover every situation, leave space for upper management to get whiny, and leave NO room to interpretation because the userbase loves to abuse that crap". A ligther set could possibly work better. 

Oh I agree, I just suggested that we have them temporarily until we can put up something better. :P

Pretty much my opinion on that matter.

Most forums I've been a part of have a noticeable drop in activity when there is a chatbox that people can freely use on the forum.
It's better to keep chat and forum separate, because otherwise, what's the point in posting? A lot of things are faster through chat.

I change the triggers from "x D" to ":biggrin:" in which case you wouldn't get an automatic emote but users could still choose to add them. I do like them however so I would want to take a wider sample of feedback before considering that change.

Custom titles are available as an option but might not be visible yet, typically they enable when a certain post-count is reached and it replaces the rank that you have.

I think just having an option to "Disable emoticons" on your posts would solve it entirely, honestly. I never use them, so when that's an option, I always have it ticked. I think people that like them wouldn't be bothered by having them triggered with common phrases, but people who don't like them would be annoyed at it. Kind of a win-win in my opinion.

Of course, it would be nice to have some kind of key to make the forum not parse things as emoticons, like putting / before the emoticon's text. But I don't know just how MUCH customization this forum has.. doing something like that may require some trickery with auto-replacing text. Too much hassle.

EDIT: I actually forgot to respond to your second part >.>; hah
I was going to say, that's actually EXACTLY what I was going to suggest. Tie it to either a post count, reputation requirement, or both. That way when people reach a certain rank, they can name it theirselves... so you don't end up with a lot of regulars all with the same boring title.

Also, yay for the edit button persisting longer than five minutes x3

Yeah I have sigs hidden for now. They covered more than half of every thread and were pretty obnoxious. But may just be me being an asshole. 

I'm curious how tall your screen is, because that's not really an issue for me. But that said, yeah, some signatures ARE obnoxious. Usually forums that try enforce a size limit stick with 200~300 pixel height as a guideline for the maximum, from what I've seen.

Edited by ChaosCalix

Sooo wasn't that terribly active on FaF did a fair amount of lurking there and quite frankly from what I've seen my favourite members have migrated.  Also much prefer Invision to Xenforo so not that big of a deal to me.

I'm going to ... uhhhh umpteenth vote for a dark  theme.  The loose for rules are also really good, I think the insults could be a fun bit (I call people names on other sites that are less than savoury but done out of love so...)  Anyways 

I'm just gonna roll around now in the dirt so that I look you know... Familiar.  Let me fix up my profile and stuff.

EDIT: ON  Rep giving out perhaps have 20 be the standard and tie it to post count later as well after so many bonus rep per say 100 posts or something like that.  (or whatever the different usergroups are at)

Edited by Chinona

The new forums are nice and all, but I left some stuff back on the old ones that I'd like to go back to once they've come back, so can somebody keep an eye on them and tell me when they're back up?  Also, I tried putting my non-forum FA user name into my profile, but it appears to be (gasp!)  one character too long, so can we jack up the character limit for that?  

Edited by WhenCatsFoxesandWolvesFly
Forgot to edit my last edit's edit notice (should have said 'Clarified my last sentence.' or something like that…

Also, browsing in Safari gives me rather a lot more instances of 'Safari cannot find this page…,' etc., etc., than one would expect, especially after trying to add new content.  Clicking through activation e-mail links is buggy, too, 'cause that led me to a page that said 'This account does not need to be activated.' or something like that and that, strangely, also wouldn't let me leave!  I had to log out and then log back in again to get back to the normal Phoenix Forums experience.  

In case you missed it, folks, blogs are go!  Look up at the buttons just under the masthead.

If you want to post anything that doesn't quite fit with a forum thread format, make your blog and post entries.  You can also subscribe to blogs if your browser recognizes RSS feed links.

• Like 1

Should be an interesting feature.

Also one thing I've noticed now is a lack of a preview button next to the submit reply button. I am either going completely blind from one thing or another or it is missing somehow. If there is a place or action to bring it up and I am completely missing it, apologizes. :)

Edited by Scrydan
  • Like 1

Pixiv is a site in Japanese. I doubt many people on here have an account there.

There's an English version of the site (or it can at least be set where most text is in English) and the site is very English-user friendly. You don't need to know any Japanese to be able to navigate it. Its also got a lot of furry artwork on it.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 2

I think the mobile version should by default have a lower posts-per-page count in threads since profile pictures and embedded pictures/videos/gifs can eat up mobile data usage fairly quickly.  I think it would be nice for those with limited data plans like me.

• Like 1

I think the mobile version should by default have a lower posts-per-page count in threads since profile pictures and embedded pictures/videos/gifs can eat up mobile data usage fairly quickly.  I think it would be nice for those with limited data plans like me.

Other options that would help:
* Ability to turn off avatars or load them at half resolution
* Show embedded items as a link rather than an embedded item

On an unrelated note: What does ignore ACTUALLY do? Because it doesn't seem to do jack shit.

• Like 1

Other options that would help:* Ability to turn off avatars or load them at half resolution
* Show embedded items as a link rather than an embedded item

On an unrelated note: What does ignore ACTUALLY do? Because it doesn't seem to do jack shit.

Definitely that along with an option to not automatically load embedded images.

• Like 1

There's an English version of the site (or it can at least be set where most text is in English) and the site is very English-user friendly. You don't need to know any Japanese to be able to navigate it. Its also got a lot of furry artwork on it.

I only have an account there because an artist I watch used to post there, the English isn't really the best but it is functional for the most part. Their forms don't always display in English though.

Also the dark theme notification popup thingy when ye press the bell thing on mobile still has a white background in it. I wonder if that'd be fixed cuz it looks awkward with the dark theme and all. Could be just me tho

The Dark Theme is still in beta, there are elements where items like popups still use a white BG and I need to find the appropriate CSS entry to change. I've not messed with IPB Skins since 2008 back when I managed a few places running on v2.3

• Like 1

• Guest unpinned this topic