Rant: $0.00 in all accounts

Just checked all of my accounts today. I'm at a whopping $0.00 on all of them. 

When you say broke, you prolly mean something like sub 500 bucks in your account like my boyfriend bitches about. I'm SUPER broke, with no chance of getting any money anytime soon unless I score a comm or I sell more of my belongings. This isn't a cry for help or anything, I'm just.. expression frustration. People see my laptop and my phone and see "Oh, I'm doing great!" 

For lunch today I have a bag of corn pops and a clif bar. I'm in class until 9:45 tonight, and the bus will take me an hour to get home. Any teacher who asks me "C'mon, you can't print one measly print?" when a print costs exactly $1.37 with tax and I have to say 'No' quietly in front of the class. When someone asks me 'you're wearing those pants again?' when I'm too embarrassed to say these are the only god damn pair of pants I have.

When you go to a private college (yes, here's my problem), you go "up a class", I've been told. My minority buddies would make fun of me often. "Think you're white now that you're going to Ohio? Are you too good for state school?". There's a lot of facets of being poor that I hate, and just in general being embarrassed is one of them. And whenever someone asks 'want to do something with me' and you say 'nah', you risk them asking 'why?' and I don't have the mental energy to say 'because I'm fucking broke' over and over again. Anytime someone says 'Oh, its JUST $3.00' aggravates the shit out of me. 

Being broke fucking sucks. I'm sure a lot of people here would agree. 

I sure know the feeling. If someone came over they would think I'm rich looking at the things I have. So it's kind of akward to say "Yeah, I usually have no money in the last six or so days of a month" when someone asks why I don't go do X with them or why I don't buy Y.

It especially sucks when you see something you would really like to buy, but you can't, and everyone goes like "Why? It's so cheap!". Plus when you're out to eat with friends and they can just buy what ever they want while you have to find something that you like AND is affordable to you. Hell, even when you have money you can't spend it on what you want because you know you haveto make it till next month somehow... than you friends just pull out brand new phones, clothes and all sorts of cool but expensive stuff from their ass showing it to you going "Look, I just baught this!" and you just want to slap them...

God, now I'm frustrated about it too...

I know that pain, and I hope you are able to be free of it soon. Not being able to pay for anything is very embarrassing, and I have friends who come to my aide and do things for me and pay for things for me. It makes me feel like a terrible person, accepting charity I don't feel I deserve.

I have plenty of luxuries, but I'm by no means "well off". Most of what I have are either gifts, items I have saved up for, or the result of poor economic choices. Still, I've avoided things that would screw me over long term. Mostly it's just screwing next-month Kaedal over in order to please this-month Kaedal. But I digress; I get what you mean. I definitely do. 

@Recel If someone wants to meet up for tea or something, I generally tell them ahead of time that they'd be paying the bill. It might be rude, but people do understand that i'm not exactly perspirating liquid gold. Besides, I tend to be good for it. If I end up having money to spare and I feel like I owe someone a meal, I don't have problems paying for it.

Edited by Kaedal
  • Like 1

yup being broke sucks, though in a way you're lucky that you're only at 0$, it gets a lot worse if you go in the negative figures! My mom even got banned from having a bank account for a while because of this. Yeah being broke sucks, but at leat you get to appreciate the true value of things. Don't feel embarassed, feel proud of it, feel proud to be able to survive, and when someone goes "oh it's just 3$!" tell them "well if it's so cheap why don't you invite me then?" .

Wealthy people are usually disgusting braggy assholes who have no sense of what life really is anyway.

Oh and you talk about having a laptop being rich looking? It's actually rather normal, you've gotta entertain yourself, and when you're poor you use a pc where entertainment is free ^^

It's okay you'll make it, just try to keep your head off money everyonce in a while, play music, sing, write, draw....

Big floofy hugs ^w^

yup being broke sucks, though in a way you're lucky that you're only at 0$, it gets a lot worse if you go in the negative figures! My mom even got banned from having a bank account for a while because of this.

Actually, I have a credit card I relied on when I was homeless and jobless. That's "only" at 991.28 over the course of three months, but its still a bill. I'm technically at a net worth of negative ~50k if you include my schooling, but I'm in pretty serious credit card debt as well. There were a lot of occasions I was forced to use it, and now I'm in a position where I can't pay for it. 

oh you're in debt, I see the account systems are rather different between our two countries, here you can get into the negative with your debit card, but if you stay too long there they close all of your accounts and you're banned from having any bank account whatsoever. That sucks for you beacause a debt is still owed even if you go broke....

Are there any associations around you that give free meals? That should take some strain away from you, also try and do less washing, by order of importance you should wash your underwear first , then tees, and finally trouser. Do your dishes by hand too, this way you'll save p on your water bill. If you have a sleeping bag sleep in it  at night, with pajamas on and a blanket overtop, stop heating your appartment, you'll just have to wear a sweater inside. Sell anything you don't need, try to use your car even less to save on gas. Also beg in the streets, look for a busy mercantile street, get a cardboard sign and write "at least I'm not annoying you with an accordion" and smile, people are more likely to give if yo make them laugh. If you play an instrument play it in the street too, that'll bring money for your small expenses. If you don't have a job, try and get one, apply for any government grant possible.

With this you should  be able to get back up to a few bucks on your account, you really want to try and avoid losing your place, with such a big credit card debt.

That's most of the advice I can give you, but really DO beg, you'd be surprised the amount you can make if you do it well enough.

Personally I've never gone into the negative (unless you count loans as one...) but I have had quite a few months where I sat at £0.00 for several weeks. Things will pick up eventually! If anyone asks "Want to do anything?" just say "Walk in the park?" if they ask otherwise just say you aren't in the mood for spending any money and just want to enjoy chatting with your friend. Also in general the attitude of the working class is horrible, coming from a working class background I am all too aware of how the lack of education over generations affects the brains of many.

Wish ya well Lemon, and hopefully the world will give you some lemons so you can make some sweet, sweet piemonade.

My best friend is currently in a similar predicament. He just got married and had a kid, and all their money went to that stuff. He's pretty well broke as fuck, meaning when we hang out, I usually offer to pay because the man needs a break now and then and I at least can help with that.

Holy christ. I'm so sorry that this is happening to you dude. I've been there, living welfare paycheck to welfare paycheck, but I've never been really truly in trouble. I've been afraid a lot, of what we're going to eat, of how we're going to afford transport or other essentials, but I don't think I've had it that bad. 

Posts like this make me glad of Australian welfare even though we have shit pollies

Oooooh I know how that goes a little too well. That was often my weekly story throughoutmy years in university. I had such a large credit load that working a regular job was out of the question, so I had work study, but HA, HAHAHAHHA as if I could live off that low of an income. And in my state, you couldn't apply for food stamps if you were a student, because apparently they think that you can just pull out financial aid to pay for everything, or just HURR MOAR STUDENT LOANS. Uh...no.

When I had the cash, one of my favorite things to buy was cans of Cambell's Chunky or some Progresso soups, and get some cheap rice from Walmart, and I'd cook the rice and mix it with the soup. It's super fucking filling, and just what the doctor ordered when you're a poor college kid. I'd also hoard away canned chicken (you know, like canned tuna, only chicken...because I preferred it) because it lasts forever. Hoard away the rice and chicken, grab some veggies and a good flavor packet (or some cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery), and you've got yourself a meal for probably $10-$15 that'll last you a couple days, if not a week.

Edited by Ratmomma
  • Like 1

I'm in the hole too honestly. I was riding home with my sister and some retarded fuckmook ignored a stop sign. Totaled our -brand new- car and left my sister with a concussion which forced her to stay home for 3 months. And when 1 of us can't pull our weight, we all suffer. And of course, the insurance company is doing everything they can to compensate my sister as late and as little as they possibly can for an accident that both an officer and the tow guy BOTH witnessed and pointed the finger at the other guy. 

I get your frustration. I've been poor my whole life, but right now it's bad and its not fair that this time it was caused by some stupid ass daredevil with a used condom for a brain.

Have you considered putting a tip jar on your profile? Might be good for a dollar here or there which can really smooth over the rough parts of college life.

Do those actually work? Never really saw folks have success with 'em. 

I have no idea and honestly I don't even know how they work. But, if there's no additional costs associated with it (I assume you already have some kind of of paypal or equivalent) then there's no reason not to. Unless you're just not comfortable receiving tips of course.

Being financially solvent kicks more ass than anything else I can think of.

Things that used to be personal catastrophes are trivial annoyances,

I can prioritize my health over my budget.

10/10 would do again.

Edit: upon reflection that sounded like I'm bragging but I'm really not, I remember how stressful it was wondering if I was gonna be alive in a year after I left home and I don't wish subsistence living on anyone.

Edited by Zaraphayx
  • Like 2

It's a never-ending slope OP, unless you become obscenely rich. Life finds a way haha.

It is funny how some people think people like me must be well off for the clothes we wear, when in truth its years of recycled clothing scouring and building up a wardrobe.

My mother used to have plaque on the wall that read "We have done so much with so little for so long we believe we can do anything with nothing in no time flat."

Debatable statement, but a good attitude to take.

• Like 1

I'm not rich by any means, but I have friends who are dirt poor. When I offer to pay for a meal or anything, I don't expect you to pay it back. If you you do, I'll let you, but if you can't I honestly can't I don't think any less of you. I just want you/them to have a good time and if it's at my expense, so be it. It's not about owing me anything, it's about us being fed/happy because I care. I do lose money doing this, I don't regret it a bit. 

Edited by Luca

It's a never-ending slope OP, unless you become obscenely rich. Life finds a way haha.

If you can claw yourself out of minimum wage is this isn't true.

Most people who end up becoming middle-class earners have WAY TOO MUCH discretionary spending.and honestly some people who work shitty jobs but have low overhead end up trapping themselves in paycheck-to-paycheck living through poor spending habits. These are people in their 20's with student debt who go out to eat on a regular basis or "treat" themselves all the time because they work hard. This is a good way to stay poor forever.

if you can't live for 3 months without income on your current bank account balance then you can't afford that Saturday at the bar with your friends or that $10 steam sale. If you aren't saving at least 20% of your paycheck for investments/a rainy day fund then you can't afford to drop $50 for concert tickets to see your favorite band.

Sure, you can do all those things, and it's your life to live how you choose, but do it knowing that you are avoiding the delay of gratification that will eventually let you off the ride.

'you' being the operative of course, not you specifically.

• Like 2

There are people trying to make it free, but its often met with strong opposition.

There was someone that broke down the cost of making university education free in the US, and it would cost tax payers a SPINE SHATTERING AMOUNT OF: $30/yr, which is pennies in a jar compared to the rest of the bullshit we pay for in a year *cough* dong collection *cough cough*.

I wish they'd make it free, because then the US might have a chance of upgrading from a stupid dumb shit redneck to someone that hasn't fucked their sister twice today. If I see one more goddamn protest outside of a women's health clinic with photos of aborted fetuses, i'm gonna jump out of the bus and beat the shit out of 'em, because anyone that's protesting outside of a women's health clinic is clearly too fucking stupid to realize that those places aren't abortion central and they exist to help women with their reproductive health.

epicrage.jpg

If I see one more goddamn protest outside of a women's health clinic with photos of aborted fetuses, i'm gonna jump out of the bus and beat the shit out of 'em, because anyone that's protesting outside of a women's health clinic is clearly too fucking stupid to realize that those places aren't abortion central and they exist to help women with their reproductive health.

When the first abortion clinic opened in Belfast and the "We support life! Just not the mothers!" crowd came out with their pictures and so on, a bunch of people charged them and threw buckets of blood over them.

When the first abortion clinic opened in Belfast and the "We support life! Just not the mothers!" crowd came out with their pictures and so on, a bunch of people charged them and threw buckets of blood over them.

Yeah, they support the fetal tissue until it pops out 9 months later as a human child. Then they don't give a shit anymore.

• Like 3

Oh man, this was a punch in the gut. It was all true. Dieting right now is really hard because my parents were poor and fed us- well, over fed us the ramen and all that. Now I gotta be dropping ~100 lbs and its fucking /hard/ to do it healthy. Another article that's punch-right-in-your-face-true is this one: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-stupidest-habits-you-develop-growing-up-poor/

If you can claw yourself out of minimum wage is this isn't true.
Most people who end up becoming middle-class earners have WAY TOO MUCH discretionary spending.and honestly some people who work shitty jobs but have low overhead end up trapping themselves in paycheck-to-paycheck living through poor spending habits. These are people in their 20's with student debt who go out to eat on a regular basis or "treat" themselves all the time because they work hard. This is a good way to stay poor forever.

if you can't live for 3 months without income on your current bank account balance then you can't afford that Saturday at the bar with your friends or that $10 steam sale. If you aren't saving at least 20% of your paycheck for investments/a rainy day fund then you can't afford to drop $50 for concert tickets to see your favorite band.

Sure, you can do all those things, and it's your life to live how you choose, but do it knowing that you are avoiding the delay of gratification that will eventually let you off the ride.

'you' being the operative of course, not you specifically.

I surprisingly don't spend on a ton of shit, but you make a fantastic point. A lot of kids here on campus keep buying shit they realy shouldn't on loan money. Currently, my friends are ribbing me about wanting to get a mac mini ($400 refurb) vs an imac ($1300 refurb) because 'you have to buy a monitor, too.' What they fail to realize is that I can get a monitor for ~100 bucks and a cheap mouse and keyboard for less than 50. Their priorities are fucking screwed. I recently got a commission, and I'm feeling really guilty because I have to go buy some pants. I wasn't kidding about only having one pair. Though, I really wish I could save money. I break even most months. 

Well, I don't think I need to get 'obscenely' rich. I read that max happiness caps out at 75k a year of an income. I personally would be happy with about ~2000 a month right now. I live the way I do on 400 a month. Imagine how much money I can start saving if I had 2000 a month after taxes? I could throw a grand at my student loans a month and use the rest for my expenses since I'm so used to spending so little. That's probably naive, but my mom has never made more than 1000 a month so I wonder what its like to be that ""Rich""

I'd be incredibly overwhelmed with money more than that. Like, If I got a job after school that sent me from ~1000 a month to ~3000 a month, I'd have to go to a financial advisor without getting overwhelmed. Having a lot of money, and the idea of having a lot of money, kind of freaks me out. 

My mother used to have plaque on the wall that read "We have done so much with so little for so long we believe we can do anything with nothing in no time flat."

I might have to letter that. Its a cute quote.