Why are there so many dog furries?

Phausk

Ok let's be real here for a moment. I'm sure there are many reasons for people liking the canid species. I can give you mine as one example.

Why did I choose a wolf? Well, firstly when I was a young teen my family and i went to a zoo and yes there were wolves there. At one point, a wolf came to the fence and looked at me square in the eyes. The stare lasted for a good 5 mins or so. We connected somehow I can't explain it but there was this spiritual understanding between us. The wolf lowered its head at me...almost like a bow or a nod. I gave a respectful nod back and then the wolf walked away. The crowd was just looking at me, mouths open. The wolf's keeper came up to me and said he had never seen anything like it before. 

A few years later, I went to see a clairvoyant (for unrelated reasons) and she told me that I had 4 past lives - my first life I was apparently a wolf. I connected the dots and ever since, I have had a special fondness for the wolf.

So as you can see, not all of us choose a species just because it's popular or whatever. 

Edited by GemWolf

It's pretty simple, really: of all the various animal species, dogs have been our friends the longest. We've evolved together. So, many people have a natural affinity for canines, and feel like their behavior and motives are the most similar to ours.

• Like 8

For me, it's because I always had a fondness for canids, from a very very young age. Since I learned of wolves, I knew they were top tier canids, and I have always latched on to them since.

It may not be original furrywise, but I was always the odd-one out for my overly niche fascination with them. Then furries, and turns out everyone is a wolf/canid lover.

I think among furries the top species are fox, wolf, canids/felids, dragons...these are probably the most common ones

When I first picked dingo, I nearly went for Fennec Fox.

But I went for the canine because I felt like it'd be easier to fit in, learn to draw it, etc etc

Fennecs are canids, just vulpine.

Canines are one of the most closely related animals to humans seeing as how far domesticated they are, so people find it easy to relate to them i guess, not to mention dogs do nothing but fuck and sometimes shit on each other all day, which is what a lot of furries seem to strive for.

Us pure glorious wolves on the other hand are the true master furry race.

As someone with a standard-ass canine species, the idea of making a second sona for myself is often lingering at the back of my mind. Maybe one that I can identify with better than a crazy insane science dog.

I've had this idea in my head for a few days about this little tan coloured leopard gecko, but alas, I lack artistic skill and the 7 more months of age needed to make a PayPal account. No commishes for me

As someone with a standard-ass canine species, the idea of making a second sona for myself is often lingering at the back of my mind. Maybe one that I can identify with better than a crazy insane science dog.

I've had this idea in my head for a few days about this little tan coloured leopard gecko, but alas, I lack artistic skill and the 7 more months of age needed to make a PayPal account. No commishes for me

Im confused about how you got the few you did, then? Artists who accept other forms of pay?

Im confused about how you got the few you did, then? Artists who accept other forms of pay?

Nah, they took money. Harbinger, the lovely dude he is, just helped me out with it in exchange for XBOX Live codes and shit.

God, I hope I'm sensible with this when there's nothing to stop me. I'm usually pretty good with money, but hey 

Because they have interesting dicks and furries are all about the D

That's it now. Out with the alphabet books of old where A is for Apple, B is for Bat and C is for Cat.

We all need the updated furry version that starts with the words Anthro, Balls, Cum and Dick. Because it's the canine way

I do like your crazy science dog. But I always tend to like the crazy kind of characters haha
Aww, geckos are cute :3

Because they have interesting dicks and furries are all about the D

Dog genitals weird me out honestly

• Like 1

I do like your crazy science dog. But I always tend to like the crazy kind of characters haha
Aww, geckos are cute :3

Hehe, thanks for saying so. (:

Hey, if canines have something going for them, they've totally got the teeth to pull off some wicked crazy smirks. I love that.

Foxes, wolves, coyotes, fennecs, huskies, etc.

Yeah canids are awesome and everything but... why so many? D:

The real question that we should all be asking ourselves here (And not because my 'sona is a wolf and always feel extremely awkward when it comes to these kinds of conversations)

Why are there so many humans? 

Because they're the most common type on cartoon and games. Everything we do is influenced by what we saw or experienced. It's much easier to be closer to dogs, which is why dogs are very popular and they just pick whatever is cool or cute as long as it's a dog. It's easy to be impressed by dragons, which is why most scalies and generic winged dragons. Cats follow the same case as dog later.

• Like 1

Some people relate more to canines, others have power fantasies (wolves, etc), and then you have the pseudo-native american cultural appropriation bullshit.

Being the nature fag that i am i relate to wolves because they do fucking wonders to whatever ecosystem they inhabit, and i only hope i can make as much of a ifference in helping wildlife in anyway i can. Plus, fucking fluffy fur man, you cant beat it.

Being the nature fag that i am i relate to wolves because they do fucking wonders to whatever ecosystem they inhabit, and i only hope i can make as much of a ifference in helping wildlife in anyway i can. Plus, fucking fluffy fur man, you cant beat it.

I like wolves too and I relate more to canines since i had dogs for most of my life. It was only until recently that I adopted a kitty.

• Like 1

I like wolves too and I relate more to canines since i had dogs for most of my life. It was only until recently that I adopted a kitty.

Lol i guess thats where im weird, i've been around cats all my life, the only times i've ever been away from them are two weeks a year for holidays. I used to hate dogs, just saw them as noisy smelly crap machines, but since i worked with them some of them really grew on me, and as much as i love cats i would love to have a big dog to actually go outside the house with.

when starting on making a fursona I actually thought about making it a wolf. in school I already had the name 'werewolf' and people still call me that in the streets (much to my disliking) I had read various books with wolves in them and I had simply fallen in love. (the book in case is Wolf Brother by stephanie Meyer, it's a childrens book but if you haven';t read it I recommend it).
but with my growing hate of being called werewolf and my desire to be more origional (I had looked up fursonas on google and found out how many wolves there were) I decided to go with a herbivore. most sona's, even when not canid, are carnivorous, and I didn't want that.
at the same time I didn't want to pick a weak species, but something that could defend itself and had something of a look to it.
and so I became a sheep.
Could as well have been a wolf though.
Wolf in sheeps clothing
Sheep in wolves clothing.

I love the science dog

• Like 1

Hey, cheers. I appreciate it.

I'm just taking a look through your gallery, actually. You've got a pretty neat sona going. I like what you did with the wool, looking like clothing and all.

thank you! I have an updated version laying here but I somehow logged off FA and forgot my password....and which email I used...

Oh that's easy. Because Wolf's at least to me symbolize Intelligence, Survival Instinct, Cunning, Team effort (being a pack animal as you know, and finally they are rather beutiful and interesting creatures. So thus why my fursona is one. Also cheers DrDingo love the art style and personality of your fursona very original too ^_^

There is a downside for people who wants to be original

I'm curious, what's that?

PM me and we might be able to work something out, mate