Why are there so many dog furries?

Phausk

I assume it's falling into trap of trying too hard at being original.

Common examples being sparkledogs, characters that are 'sooper speshul' edgelord mary sues, and characters that are just fucking ugly.

Mine is an ''original'' species too (no such thing as truly ''original'' me believes but whatevs). I do want my character to stand out but in a non sparkledog way. Hope I succeeded. I went for what I liked anyway so it doesn't matter what other people think of me beloved persona. In this case, my opinion is the only one that matters

I picked a dog 'sona because I aspire to live every day with the mindset of a dog. Imagine what it would be like to be over the moon for the most basic shit life has to offer (food, affection, a grassy field to play in), you'd never want for anything! I also admire dogs for their unwavering loyalty, innocence, unconditional and unbridled, unapologetic joy. Besides... they're also incredibly aesthetically pleasing and cute animals. I'm sure most furries would agree. There's a reason dogs are "man's best friend."

For those of you saying canine fursonas are unoriginal, pish posh. There are many ways to innovate an anthro character besides their species. I'm far more impressed by basic bitch fursonas with memorable personalities than I am by fursonas that are some bizarre hybrid or species.

Edited by MuttButt
  • Like 2

and how exactly do wolves fit into the "Mary sue" or "Marty Stu" category? 

One or all fit the category:

"Sex Sue/Stu": Basically an Adonis of the furry world that no one can resist. Looking upon this specimen of sexual perfection drives both men and women mad. Often "bisexual" or "pansexual" and claims to have a harem of sex slaves and can claim a furry by just looking at him/her or if the Sex-Sue furry says something remotely creepy to claim said furry into their endless pit of yiff. Sometimes claim to be either shapeshifter, gender benders, or "Herms". They also sometimes fetishize intersex. Usually paraded around by hyper sexual Furverts  and those who are too scared to have one-night-stands at furry conventions.

"Perfect-Sue/Stu": being an object of perfection. Nothing can go wrong with them and they always look perfect in every way.. Also takes on some of the sex-sue traits. Most flurries who dream of popular status fit into this category. 

"Villain-Sue/Stu": Edgelord extraordinaire. Your typical god-modding asshole that you see on the playground that creates a "block everything" shield. Tries to emulate a villain or dictator or tyrant in history (i.e Were-hitler). Has a little bit of Sex-Sue and Perfect sue. Claimed by edge lords in the fandom who are either misanthropic or listens to too much Industrial/EDM. Often seen at cons wearing Tripp pants. 

"Spritual-Sue/Stu": Also known as "Cultural appropriation-Sues". usually does little to no research to create a Japanese Shinto wolf because they liked it in some anime or Native American Shaman wolf. 

"Angst-Sue/Stu": CRAAAWWWWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIINNNNNN! THESE WOUNDS WILL NEVER HEEEEAAAALLLLLLL! Often tattooed off-color lone wolves with a story contrived of pain and angst. Everything is pain. So much pain. Sometimes takes the traits of Villian-Sue/Stu to create something that will make you want to cut yourself. 

"Tough guy-Sue/Stu": Stus/Sues that need to act tough. Rebels without a cause and always has to get into a fight. Often used by socially awkward people. 

"Hero/Saint-Sue": Same as Villain sue.  Claimed by Furries with Power fantasies. 

• Like 2

Canids are popular because they're just a common species that everyone has been around/seen for a majority of their life, whether it be the family dog or the cute cartoons on the TV involving the talking dog doing stupid shit. They're also easy to work with as far as designs go, they're a pretty design-flexible group of animals with a lot of species and breeds that allow a lot of easy imagination for an OC.

Also canids are pretty cute, I'm a sucker for silver foxes.

I once saw this argument on FAF:

Many furries are a little too uncreative and, well, stupid to be in other fandoms, so they come here where everything is easier and colorful cartoon land. So these same people will naturally choose animals that their tiny minds can understand, usually dogs/cats. You never see stuff like grey foxes or ocelots--it's always the easy species that are more well known. And that's not to bash foxes or wolves, it's just that there are waaay too many of them. It's even worse with suiters (btw, somebody buy @PastryOfApathy a fursuit, lol)

That's probably a bit exaggerated, but yeah, furries are a pretty uncreative lot, so you see people choosing species to just "fit with the clique", because apparently the fandom is high school.

I once saw this argument on FAF:

Many furries are a little too uncreative and, well, stupid to be in other fandoms, so they come here where everything is easier and colorful cartoon land. So these same people will naturally choose animals that their tiny minds can understand, usually dogs/cats. You never see stuff like grey foxes or ocelots--it's always the easy species that are more well known. And that's not to bash foxes or wolves, it's just that there are waaay too many of them. It's even worse with suiters (btw, somebody buy @PastryOfApathy a fursuit, lol)

That's probably a bit exaggerated, but yeah, furries are a pretty uncreative lot, so you see people choosing species to just "fit with the clique", because apparently the fandom is high school.

And what about me? Your friendly neighborhood dragonwolf? Am I uncreative as well?

And what about me? Your friendly neighborhood dragonwolf? Am I uncreative as well?

Nah. I'm talking about the FA crowd.

Not every furry is uncreative. If that were the case, we wouldn't have things like sergals. But when you have people who make the 10,000th neon raver fox...it get's pretty unoriginal.

For fursuits on the other hand: everything really is a dog.

Nah. I'm talking about the FA crowd.

Not every furry is uncreative. If that were the case, we wouldn't have things like sergals. But when you have people who make the 10,000th neon raver fox...it get's pretty unoriginal.

For fursuits on the other hand: everything really is a dog.

Hey, not everything is a dog. I mean c'mon stop being a nasty bigot. Beauty comes in all shapes and species.

• Like 1

Are their even like rat fursuits out there? Like only shit I've ever seen are like the awful cutesy mouse ones made by people who pop their pee pee to Rescue Rangers like a weirdo. Unlike me of course, who does it to ████████████ like a true American.

Not that it really matters since they all tend to look the same.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

Are their even like rat fursuits out there? Like only shit I've ever seen are like the awful cutesy mouse ones made by people who pop their pee pee to Rescue Rangers like a weirdo. Unlike me of course, who does it to ████████████ like a true American.

Not that it really matters since they all tend to look the same.

tumblr_noip10KDp21tlqtteo1_1280.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2015 at 11:36 PM, PastryOfApathy said:

I assume it's falling into trap of trying too hard at being original.

Common examples being sparkledogs, characters that are 'sooper speshul' edgelord mary sues, and characters that are just fucking ugly.

My character has a rod of plutonium up his ass. It makes his spoo spoo glow. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MagnusGear said:

This drives me a little crazy, because as much as I love and adore canines and love to draw them, no one will draw birds. I have such a hard time looking for people to commission because on their "won't do" list they have everything except dogs. ):<

Sounds to me like some people need to diversify! (I say as most of my gallery is canine based original species....) I love drawing birds...maybe it's a slight OCD issue, but I literally sit there and draw out every.single. wing. feather. I adore drawing bats and deer and cats and dragons...ooh reptiles...them scales!

As spokesperson of Dusty Pelt metagroup for steampunks of a furry variety I would like to share the theory proposed to us ( captain Percell and me, lord Overshear) by miss Miranda.T. on the BrassGoggles steampunk forum. I quote:

Re: The dusty pelt- a room for steampunks of a furry variety

I'd like to pose a philosophical question, if I may. As an outside observer to the furry scene* it seems to me that (and please do correct me if I'm wrong) wolf or canine 'fursonas' seem to be the most popular (Caledonian as a notable exception, of course). I was wondering why this might be. Is it simply that people are making connections with their pets (literally a 'dog person'), but then there are all the ancient stories of werewolves and such like to consider.

I was contemplating if it was related to the fact that it seems that wolves were the first creatures to be domesticated. It is thought ancient humans and wolves learned to work together in the hunt, benefiting both species. We are both 'pack animals' with a sense of hierarchy and oganisation. Is that there is a meeting of minds between out species, or a lingering race memory of those pre-historic times?

Just some musings...

Yours,
Miranda.

*Although given the number of faux-fur coats and shrugs in my wardrobe, I might just swing an honorary pass...  

End quote.

• Like 1

I think it's a lot of what we're used to. Dogs/wolves are super prevalent be it in movies or as pets or in artwork already out there. You see them everywhere and they come in all shapes and sizes, so it's super easy to tailor them to your wants without having to be too creative.

The issue with furries is two extremes: too generic or too over-the-top. You either have that generic grey wolf or a rainbow colored sparkledog. There's hardly an in between, and it's really rare to see someone with a character that is a) unique to them and b) actually developed as a character without using generic stuff.

I picked a dog because it had most of the features I wanted in a sona. Big squishy nose! Bear.. with floppy ears? Pig! With a medium fluffy tail. Er.. Dog. I actually had a lion sona from something like 2006-2013, and still use him as an alt sona. I just like the visual appearance of a random mutt at the moment.

• Like 1

All hail the fox army!!! Personally I picked a fox because I always thought they were so mysterious; I'd hear them at night calling out and barking, only seeing them twice in my life. with that I created a story with Astus here as a character and from there he basically became my internet persona