What Happened to Chrome?

Sidewalk Surfboard

Now that you mention it, now I remember why I don't use Chrome...
It won't let me access these forums, for some reason.

(Also, it takes up even more memory than Firefox, and that's saying something...)

I used to use it a long while back, but I can't quite remember why I switched away from it.

• Like 1

Best guess, it's all Google's fault. They've basically turned the Chrome browser into a mini version of ChromeOS, it's got all this desktop integration and offline support crap that PC users have no real use for. Not to mention all their tracking and data reporting features.

Chromium is a good alternative if you use Linux, and I heard Opera is Chromium based now as well. Google rocketh the socks when it comes to Gmail and Google Drive but they've really gone to shit on the browser front.

I was actually thinking about switching back to Chrome because when I last used it it was faster and used less memory than Firefox. I didn't know it's gotten worse. :o

But for some reason Firefox has been acting up for me lately, some sort of memory or graphics driver error, so I guess I can't win.

I use Chrome for everything.
I like the way it scrolls, I like the menu system when it opens, I like how the top window bar is thinner than Firefox, I like being able to mute tabs, and I especially like how the mobile version, unlike Firefox, doesn't freeze up my phone and shit.

One day I hope someone tells me why I have bad taste and convinces me Firefox is better. What is so good about it?

• Like 1

I was actually thinking about switching back to Chrome because when I last used it it was faster and used less memory than Firefox. I didn't know it's gotten worse. :o

But for some reason Firefox has been acting up for me lately, some sort of memory or graphics driver error, so I guess I can't win.

Firefox does very poorly with hardware acceleration, always has. If you have an AMD GPU the problems are more obvious. One of the reasons I switched to Chrome. 

I use Chrome for everything.
I like the way it scrolls, I like the menu system when it opens, I like how the top window bar is thinner than Firefox, I like being able to mute tabs, and I especially like how the mobile version, unlike Firefox, doesn't freeze up my phone and shit.

One day I hope someone tells me why I have bad taste and convinces me Firefox is better. What is so good about it?

Firefox actually added that feature recently.

Edited by Phausk
  • Like 1

Think I might know what you're talking about. Does it happen when you're tabbing to another window sometimes?

I don't know, I think it happens when I have a couple windows open with too many tabs, but once it starts, there's no stopping it.  Most of the window will turn black and images will flicker on and off.  The only way to fix it is to restart Firefox.

I think I used all the major web browsers at some point, Netscape being the first

(Netscape... *chuckles*)

When I got tired of Internet Exploder I switched to Firefox, which worked fine for a good while. Then it started to freeze between web pages and I had to move the mouse at a certain moment to unfreeze the window, freaking annoying. I've switched to Chrome since then (at least on my Win7 computer, Firefox on Ubuntu works just fine). Maybe I should try Firefox again, now that there's been a few new versions since I last used it.

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."

That was the best case scenario! Win98 was notorious for BSODs. I still have an adrenaline rush when Windows 7 unexpectedly asks me if I allow X program to make modifications in the system because the screen blacks out entirely for a split second xD

• Like 1

I use Chrome because Firefox keep having problem. Don't remember what it is but it was like always. Chrome is slower, but don't have often problem and don't last long.

I wonder if I.E. is better? But Netscape was a lot of ... Wonder if its still exist and if yes, is it still bad?

Firefox, if only they stopped that pocket and hello crap. Mozilla, if you think that those addons are so super important than offer them at installation time, too. But don't auto add them! ... *one about:config later* byby Hello (and pocket).

Dear Mozilla, go back to the way of customizable with things being as optional as they can be.  Want to make things like Pocket and Hello? Make them "addons by mozilla" or whatever.

If you could keep customizable and as optional as possible then that rust-rewrite would be quite awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love Chrome. Chrome was my friend. We spent a lot of time together. But then, she started to want to take things too far... All of a sudden she wanted my undivided attention; she wanted to be my Notification Center, my text editor, my app launcher... I felt smothered. I tried to tell her to back off, but she kept pushing. Her pettyness even made all my other friends lives harder. Things went on like that for a while, till eventually I came to see her for what she was--a stinking weed that would soon take over every part of my life. So I broke up with her.   

I've since started a new chapter in my life, and moved to a new OS. I even met someone new; her name is Safari. She's great. We go out to movies together and hang out in crappy forums. 

Me and Chrome don't talk much now. I sometimes call her up when I need her help with something, but it always stirs up bad memories and leaves me feeling dirty.

The End. 

• Like 3