It's The End of the Year

Luca

It's that time of year again, the end of it. What did you enjoy? What was the best game? The worst? What deserves mention? Lets talk about this year in games.

I'm just gonna list my favorites for a start

Bloodborne

1447814744962.png.804160f85974fde4e2b0f6

My personal favorite. The detail in this games design is incredible, from the levels to the combat to the lore. I've always had a soft spot for gothic horror settings, so I was on board this games switch of tone right away. Man did it come with a nice surprise too, it takes a full heel turn about half way through and goes straight into the depths of H.P. Lovecraft. Finding that out was literally one of the highlights of all my gaming. If you have a PS4 I implore you to try this game, it's too bad it's an exclusive but I can't recommend it enough. Bless us with blood...

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Hunter_and_Felyne_vs_Gore_Magala_key_art

This game had me at it's mercy for months. I couldn't put it down. My only regret is that most of my friends seem to have fallen off the ride long before I did. I've been a fan of MH since tri so I've said it all about these games. It's just the best one of these we've had so far. Pay no mind that Japan is already playing MHX. For real man just forget about, it's not that bad. Really, let it go. I'm sure it will make it here sometime soon...

The Witcher 3

1419874966-witcher-3-steelbook-no-man-s-

This is the game I didn't really want till the last minute. I was just looking for something to do in the terrible hole that is unemployment. Man did this one surprise me. It's one of the best open world games I've ever seen done. Almost ever quest is engaging and the dialog is excellent . The characters are all so good and believable. The Devs are incredible too adding plenty of features and even altering romance subplots just to improve their game after release.

Undertale

undertalereview.png.3c2e31856e4265b886bd

Everyone knows about this game now whether they've played it or not. That really sucks in a way. I played it under what I would call ideal circumstances. I was gifted it and played it completely blind in just a few sittings, right before it blew up. I think this game is best when you have no kind of spoilers whatsoever. It makes it a lot stronger. At the same time, I think it deserves the attention it got.

The Legend of Zelda: Major's Mask 3D

zelda_majoras_mask_3d.0.0.thumb.jpg.b343

Is this fair? Eyyyy I don't really care. There's not much that will ever top what this game means to me. This port is incredible. It manages to clean up the game without really losing anything from the original. Yeah people got upset over some stuff, but people always will. I got the same feeling I got out of the original I've played so many times over. If you find yourself one of the people who doesn't like the Zelda series, I would still say you should at least try this one, if any.

That's not everything for sure, but I'm getting kinda tired of dong this for all of them so here some other good shit:
Just Cause 3
Metal Gear Solid V
Ori and the Blind Forest
Cities Skyline
Mad Max
Until Dawn
Rocket League
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Helldivers
Life Is Strange
Hotline Miami 2's soundtrack

Edited by Luca

Well I bought extremely few games this year, Dead Space 2 and Journey being the most memorable (and possibly the only ones I bought in 2015). I know I know, they're not of his year but they still are my newest games so... Do get 'em if you didn't, ladies and gentlemen

I'll be the first to second Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, though I didn't play it very much. I just can't peel myself away from PC gaming long enough and for some reason handheld gaming is extremely uncomfortable to me.

The only other games I can say I loved from this year are Ark and Rainbow Six Siege. I do have and want to play The Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight, I just haven't had the spare time. Batman was supposedly very buggy on release and before I play TW3 I want to get through TW2, which I have barely started...

I do want to get Dying Light yet and I have the demo for it to try it, but even at 66% off I can't really justify it considering how much I might play it (very little). None of my friends really like it, so I'd be confined to single player basically, which lessens the value a ton for me. I may barely get 1hr/$1 out of it at it's current price.

Armello as well looks super fun, but that's another I don't have much time for and can't justify paying much for.

There's a few others on my wishlist that I've been wanting, just can't justify even Steam sale prices when I'm so occupied with Rainbow Six Siege and work that I have no time for other games. ><

Edited by Kinare

i dont think i actually played that much new stuff this year. gta 5 came out for pc though and i played that quite a bit. even though cars mostly feel like you would drive some old shoebox or something like that and hacker are in every next open lobby it was still playable to a certain point.

12 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I've quit gaming.

Y'know, that absolute noob among your gaming friends, who's been playing for years yet still gets beaten by everyone else and ends up (sorta) rage quitting after an hour?

Well that's me.

Why should you let losing bother you? And besides, you could always just play non-competitive singleplayer titles. Relax with video games, don't get frustrated with them. 

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

Why should you let losing bother you? And besides, you could always just play non-competitive singleplayer titles. Relax with video games, don't get frustrated with them. 

I should indeed stop taking games to heart so much, yes. On the bright side, having the passion but not the skills. that most likely saved me from going full nolife LOL.

Mad Max is another amazing game from our friends at Avalanche Studios. It's post apocalyptic Just Cause, with lots of explosions and a harpoon that acts like a grappling hook. Also, dust storms.

And speaking of Just Cause, Just Cause 3 is also awesome. The multiple tethers and increased destruction in a beautiful European landscape mean more mayhem to enjoy.

Thank you Avalanche Studios for making two great games and releasing them a couple months apart.

19 hours ago, Jerry said:

I should indeed stop taking games to heart so much, yes. On the bright side, having the passion but not the skills. that most likely saved me from going full nolife LOL.

Could also try figuring out why you're not doing well. Personally, when I'm not doing well it's because I'm having a hard time focusing. Maybe it's bad reflexes? There are games that require no reflexes, just strategizing ability. There are even games that don't require strategy and are totally story based requiring simple mouse clicks, however slow you do them.

You don't need super leet skills to be able to find a game out there to enjoy. ^^

23 hours ago, Hewge said:

-Invisible, Inc

Oh god this is definitely one of my favorites games of the year possibly of all time.  Few games manage to be so difficult, and yet completely fair and it does it all without relying on any random chance after the procedural level generation.  Every success, every fuckup, they all feel like they came about as a direct result of your decisions and actions.

Undertale may have had the best story this year, but Invisible, Inc. definitely had the best gameplay.

On 31/12/2015 at 7:16 PM, Kinare said:

Could also try figuring out why you're not doing well. Personally, when I'm not doing well it's because I'm having a hard time focusing. Maybe it's bad reflexes? There are games that require no reflexes, just strategizing ability. There are even games that don't require strategy and are totally story based requiring simple mouse clicks, however slow you do them.

You don't need super leet skills to be able to find a game out there to enjoy. ^^

Maybe it's just because I'm that type of gamers for who simple games are boring and challenging games are too difficult.

Take Star Fox Assault for example. I can't say I don't like that game, I do! But god, it's just too much to handle and for some reason I keep forgetting this. I often get back to it thinking it's probably not that bad. Then I get to play an hour max before getting too frustrated. I learned to stop before the hulk rage kicks in, but still xD

It's not that "video games suck" or anything like that. It's just not my thing LOL. I moved on to hobbies that bring much more personal fulfillment ^_^

For me Undertale is the best game I bought this year. It is extremely basic, but it's been a long time since I played an RPG that actually made me care about all of the characters (except for So Sorry because fuck him).
By the way, according to Steam Spy Undertale is close to 800.000 copies sold. Which means Toby is now literally swimming in cash. Good for him, I think he earned it :3

On a different note, I think Metal Gear V was the most overhyped trash of the year. It was great in terms of gameplay and overall design, but I think it would have been a better game if they had left out the idiotic story. What even was that?

Edited by Käpt'n

I'd say my top two games of 2015 were Fallout 4 and Metal Gear Solid 5.

My top game for 2016 has already been determined, unfortunately. I see utterly no way anything will be able to top Street Fighter 5 for me. Not unless they suddenly surprise us with a secret Grand Theft Auto 6 they've been working on.

Edited by Lucyfish

I didn't get a chance to play that many games this year, mostly because I was in Europe but I've enjoyed every game I did play

out of the ones I did play, I think Undertale and Fallout 4 are definitely my top two though. and I'll give honorable mention to Majora's Mask 3D and Civ V

I've played very few games this year, but the ones I did play were well worth my time

the-order-1886-listing-thumb-ps4-us-09un

^^Yes, I really enjoyed this game and its a shame how the bandwagon hate of this game, ultimately caused it to be shit on, even by people who didn't even play. Quite possibly the best graphics I've seen on console, maybe even ever, great voice acting, tight gameplay and an interesting universe, I was hoping this would get a chance to have a sequel and be like Assassin's Creed 2 was to Assassin's Creed 1. Unfortunately, that won't be happening since Sony pretty much distanced themselves from the developers after profit and reception just wasn't good enough.

witcher3_en_wallpaper_wallpaper_10_1920x

This game truly is epic. My first Witcher game and I fell in love with it. It held me over until Fallout 4 came out, but I still haven't finished. Doubt I will anytime soon. The world is huge, beautiful, and interesting to explore and all the stories in this game find a way to grip you, even if you haven't played a previous installment of the Witcher. Definitely surprised me.

fallout-4-trailer-grab.jpg

Do I really need to say anything for this? Look at my Fallout 4 thread. Hell, look at any thread I've been in so you can see how much I've been sucking this  game's dick

• Like 1

On 1/3/2016 at 8:52 AM, Newt said:

LISA. I don't care that it came out in 2014.

ok, Bloodborne.

Well The Joyful came out, and fixed a lot of problems The Painful had.

Edited by Luca

1 hour ago, Luca said:

Well The Joyful came out, and fixed a lot of problems The Painful had.

It fixed some gameplay problems for sure, but I still enjoyed The Painful a bit more.

Also, a shout out to Until Dawn. Stop playing Telltale "games" and play Until Dawn.

Do it.

Play Until Dawn.

• Like 1

The Talos Principle. Also really liked Ori and the Blind Forest, Fallout 4 and Hotline Miami 2. Recently started playing Undertale, I agree with everyone in that it's awesome. Still haven't played Witcher 3 or SOMA. MGSV was awesome in terms of gameplay, but ultimately felt unfinished and kind of weak story-wise, at least when compared to 1 and 2.