Simulators, Hell yes, or fuck no?

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Simulators, yay or nay  

21 members have voted

1. 1. So, what's it gonna be?

• Hell yeah, I love the complexity and tension!
    • I'll stick to my more casual games tyvm.

Some of you may know that I'm an avid aviation fan both IRL and vidya games, and today I decided to try how it felt to grab my HOTAS and boy am I excited now. It felt good to grab my stick after a while, no pun intended. Personally I'm attracted to the relatively slow pace of these games, emphasizing thought and deliberate actions rather than reflexes, and beating the learning curve is an achievement on its own. Not the mention the variety of genres within the genre. That said I have taken a considerable pause from these and to say I was rusty would be an understatement.

Failing miserably at trying to make a level turn and riddle a harbor crane with 30mm death for practice, I was wondering if this little community of ours had any other sim-oriented people on it. Whether it's flying sims on the likes of Flight sim X, Take On helicopters, flying combat sims akin to Digital Combat Simulator World, Rise of Flight, IL-2, or combat sims on the ground comparable to Squad, ARMA series, Red Orchestra and even the light Insurgency, or maybe it's the sci-fi make believe games that are complex enough to be classified as sims, such as Mechwarrior franchise, Diaspora, Elite: Dangerous or Star Citizen. Maybe you just like the solitude of your submarine in Silent Hunter or train Simulator or the rush of racing in Race: the WTCC, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars,  I wonder, what are you into?

I also dig just about every game related to flying since I've a fairly Good setup for sims, so if you happen to fancy stuff like War Thunder that's fine too, let me hear what you fly and in what game!

I'm always on the hunt for friends to play some of these relatively niche games with, and if you happen to strike a fancy to flying or race alongside a fairly rookie-ish coffeecup, do let me know. I've bolded the games I happen to own in this OP. Oh, and you can find me here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011651848/

If you find sims appalling, why? Why doesn't simming resonate with you? Is it the perceived elitism of the players (which I haven't really seen tbqh), hard controls or do you just lack the proper peripherals. Let me hear, I am genuinely interested in knowing.

I admire people that are good at those, some of 'em seem so complex!! Plus the games themselves are really creative. I don't play them much tho cuz 

1. They give me headaches and horrible eyestrain

3. I don't find the complexities+pacing particularly enjoyable

3. Not much of a PC gamer

That said, I put a fair amount of time into Trainz '06. A lot of the scenarios I couldn't figure out, but I set up some real sweet crashes. 

I love sims, and have logged hundreds of hours in MS Flight Sims and X-Plane. I also loved playing around with MS Train Sim, Orbiter Space Sim, Mechwarrior, and I guess a lot of racing games can be considered sims too. For me a part of the reason that I enjoy them is simply learning something new and getting good at that skill. Makes me think I would be able to more or less perform that function should I find the need to in the real world ("Does anyone know how to drive a train?!"). The other part is the dream of some day doing it for real, and the sim being a cheaper alternative to actually doing it. Now, I'm actually learning to fly, so my flight summing is also practice to review the things I am being taught, memorize checkpoints, and even help remember the scenery or route before I have to get into a plane and do the real thing.

Actually, in that sense, I guess Google Street View is a simulator too. I often use it to stimulate walking around cities that I plan to travel to, so I recognize landmarks and can get around easier without relying on maps.

I love me some survival SIMs (7 Days to Die, Ark, Don't Starve) and random casual SIMs (Punch Club, Banished, Dog Sled Saga, Fishing Planet). Those are just to name a few, I have lots more. Most of my games are SIMs and most of them I've played at least a little (which says a lot cuz I have a lot of games that I've never touched).

Never been big into military SIM games, especially hardcore ones. Just hasn't really appealed to me.

13 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

I'm a bigger fan of Pseudorealism, personally

Absolutely this. 100% realism is tedious as shit and even something like ARMA admits to taking occasional liberties with certain things (if I remember right it's mostly stuff like military redundancies) in the name of "fun". 

I snagged Insurgency off the Steam sale last month. I haven't put too much time into it yet, but I really enjoy what I've gotten to play so far. Unfortunately, I suck, because I don't have the patience for the "sit and wait for the other guy to get bored and rush first" game. I have ARMA 2 as well, but my PC absolutely hates it for some reason. It runs way worse than anything else in my library, even GTA V.

1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Absolutely this. 100% realism is tedious as shit and even something like ARMA admits to taking occasional liberties with certain things (if I remember right it's mostly stuff like military redundancies) in the name of "fun". 

Yeah. I like stuff like old Tom Clancy games such as Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six. The "rules" of the game match what you'd expect from real life but it still feels nice and gamey.

personally I'm a life simulator fan, like the likes of animal crossing, the sims and harvest moon.

do these count as a proper simulator? Probably not but its got the word simulator in the genre so it should count.

my personal recommendation is story of seasons which is farming based (its literally harvest moon but under a new name for copyright reasons). Its really great and compare it to the likes of farming simulator 2015 its a lot less tedious, more rewarding and the most important...more fun and relaxing!

17 hours ago, shadowsinhiding said:

personally I'm a life simulator fan, like the likes of animal crossing, the sims and harvest moon.

do these count as a proper simulator? Probably not but its got the word simulator in the genre so it should count.

It's a simulation, not a simulator. A simulator is ARMA, DCS World, stuff like that. The Sims, Cities: Skylines, Zoo Tycoon, those are simulations.

Weird, I know but the distinction is that one focuses on being realistic and the other is usually some kind of management game

10 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

It's a simulation, not a simulator. A simulator is ARMA, DCS World, stuff like that. The Sims, Cities: Skylines, Zoo Tycoon, those are simulations.

Weird, I know but the distinction is that one focuses on being realistic and the other is usually some kind of management game

still don't see a difference, what's the difference between running a farm in a tractor and running a farm but in a more traditional sense? A life simulator is still a simulation of someones life. Life simulations may not be the type of simulator you think of but its still a sub genre.

Also the Sims is also a life simulator. The only difference is your in control of an entire family not one person...unless your talking about sim city then I might of accidentally got confused

11 minutes ago, shadowsinhiding said:

still don't see a difference, what's the difference between running a farm in a tractor and running a farm but in a more traditional sense? A life simulator is still a simulation of someones life. Life simulations may not be the type of simulator you think of but its still a sub genre.

Also the Sims is also a life simulator. The only difference is your in control of an entire family not one person...unless your talking about sim city then I might of accidentally got confused

dunno m8

i always see games distinctively referred to as either simulation or simulator

i dont get it either

On 23/01/2016 at 11:12 AM, GamingGal said:

I like a good survival SIM like Don't Starve, which I'd be more than happy to play together with you should you get it. In fact, survival SIMs are my favorite type of SIMs. I haven't played many others.

I'm not entirely sure if that's a sim in the sense, but Don't Starve is an interesting game I've been meaning to look at some time in the future.

On 23/01/2016 at 10:50 AM, WileyWarWeasel said:

My tastes in games are rather eclectic and include some sim games.

Apart from Insurgency and Warthunder mentioned before, I've also enjoyed military sims such as Command Modern Air Naval Operations and Soviet SAM Simulator.

Download and support Soviet SAM Sim people, it's free! :D

a SAM sim? Soviet AA is pretty good IRL and it certainly piques my interest! Care to throw a link to it as well as CMANO?

19 hours ago, shadowsinhiding said:

my personal recommendation is story of seasons which is farming based (its literally harvest moon but under a new name for copyright reasons). Its really great and compare it to the likes of farming simulator 2015 its a lot less tedious, more rewarding and the most important...more fun and relaxing!

I think these are more of a simulation. The word simulator has gotten out of hand and there's pretty much a sim for fapping these days. Whether or not one finds farming sims tedious or fun is a matter of perspective! Some people (like me) like the slow and realistic approach

19 hours ago, Joshi said:

Although I don't play that many real simulators, I love games like Elite: Dangerous for their complexivity!

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of that. I do want to take part in it, but I wonder if it's worth the money. Seems very combat focused for a space RPG, this true?

1 hour ago, shadowsinhiding said:

A simulation is essentially where you've a number of small AI working their way in an environment you create, ie city sims, the sims etc and see how it plays out. A simulator is where you get thrown into a ready world (more or less) and you have first hand influence on a device and focuses on the interaction of you and the machine you're using, such as DCS or racing sims.

Like I said before, the word sim has gotten so watered down it's no wonder mishaps and confusion happens.

I have the whole collection.

I love making friends in that series.

Having pixelated sexy time (the most action I've ever had).

Adapting to unexpected circumstances (condom broke) by getting married despite it initially having been meant to be a one-night-stand.

I can even sit on my computer while on my computer in it!

And I can get a job, but not an actual job.

Sims are da best. :D

12 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

a SAM sim? Soviet AA is pretty good IRL and it certainly piques my interest! Care to throw a link to it as well as CMANO?

Here's the Soviet Sim, note that most of the scenarios are you playing a country that uses old export versions against more modern planes:

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Here's CMANO (get it when it's on sale as it's usually discounted on both Steam and their store):

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air.Naval.Operations.Wargame.of.the.Year.Edition

CMANO also has an online multiplayer mod but I haven't tried it yet.

4 minutes ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Here's the Soviet Sim, note that most of the scenarios are you playing a country that uses old export versions against more modern planes:

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Here's CMANO (get it when it's on sale as it's usually discounted on both Steam and their store):

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air.Naval.Operations.Wargame.of.the.Year.Edition

CMANO also has an online multiplayer mod but I haven't tried it yet.

I'll give the SAM a try later.

CMANO hits a weird market. A JTAC sim, more or less. A sim of a software used to monitor traffic and send out orders and stuff. It sounds very interesting, but I fear I need a little more than numbers on my screen to keep me playing.

4 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I'll give the SAM a try later.

CMANO hits a weird market. A JTAC sim, more or less. A sim of a software used to monitor traffic and send out orders and stuff. It sounds very interesting, but I fear I need a little more than numbers on my screen to keep me playing.

You also get NATO symbols.

• Like 1

Just now, WileyWarWeasel said:

You also get NATO symbols.

There was a decent RTS by the name of Wargame that utilized NATO symbology as well it was great for learning them. I'd imagine some people might have it hard to read them at first, but they're surprisingly logical and I learned to read them during my time in the military.

3 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

There was a decent RTS by the name of Wargame that utilized NATO symbology as well it was great for learning them. I'd imagine some people might have it hard to read them at first, but they're surprisingly logical and I learned to read them during my time in the military.

Funny you should mention that, I got all three of the Wargames before getting CMANO. CMANO does aim for as much realism as possible for a publicly released Mil Sim and is even being used by BAE Systems ;D

Not that I mean to sound like a snob or anything.

Edited by WileyWarWeasel
Words

Looks like I'll be adding the DCS World Mirage jet to my to-buy planes once it gets on steam. I'm falling in love with jets again. 

If any of you guys feel like giving DCS a go, please do. The core game is free, has simplified planes and can be played with a less than ideal setup so you're not losing anything. Would love to fur up the sky with peeps from here

On 1/26/2016 at 6:45 AM, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Looks like I'll be adding the DCS World Mirage jet to my to-buy planes once it gets on steam. I'm falling in love with jets again. 

If any of you guys feel like giving DCS a go, please do. The core game is free, has simplified planes and can be played with a less than ideal setup so you're not losing anything. Would love to fur up the sky with peeps from here

DangerZone.thumb.jpg.22fd24f7a83161a015c

*Heavy Breathing Intensifies*

You don't generally "fly" jumbo jets any more. Just use the autopilot and follow checklists. Just follow ATC's instructions, and let the autopilot glide you down that ILS slope. The only flying you do is first few seconds of take off, and last few seconds before touchdown.

Unless you're crazy and hate your passengers.

8 hours ago, Khaki said:

DangerZone.thumb.jpg.22fd24f7a83161a015c

*Heavy Breathing Intensifies*

Nice view and nice squadron of Fulcrums. It's a nice plane as well.

6 hours ago, axelthefox said:

I'm not sure anyone else notices this,but smaller planes like Cessnas seem easier to fly in simulators,then jumbojets like a 747

Well they are smaller and less complex so it only makes sense to me.

4 hours ago, Rassah said:

You don't generally "fly" jumbo jets any more. Just use the autopilot and follow checklists. Just follow ATC's instructions, and let the autopilot glide you down that ILS slope. The only flying you do is first few seconds of take off, and last few seconds before touchdown.

Unless you're crazy and hate your passengers.

8Qf6V6a.gif

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup
  • Like 1

"Greentexting" a couple of stories from today to prove I am the greatest pilot to have walked this earth

>Play DCS with MiG21
>Line up a shot for the cannon at a C-130
>clickclickclick
>Forgot to arm the cannon
>Fly back, circle for a new run
>This time hits and tears out the wing in a fiery mess
>crash into the loose wing
>tfw a slow unmaneuverable hulk of a plane beat a fighter

Another one
>Again with MiG21
>Set up an intercept scenario against two MiG21s and a Bf109 for shits and giggles
>Destroy ass and beat the opposing MiGs
>Timetoplaywiththebratwurst.jpg
>Can't get an IR lock on it
>Waste all cannon rounds
>That fucker is peppered but flies
>Fly home for rearming, time to get revenge with those sweet old SARHs
>Land succesfully breaking only the rear landing gears
>Can't take off
>Whatever I'll just fuck it up with a F-15
>Do just that
>Crash on landing
>Eject and land back on the flaming carcass that is my jet
>Scream in anguish as a Kurfurst caused the death of a supersonic jet pilot

Last of the day
>Fly the MiG21 again
>Beat the hardest difficulty target practice mission
>Decide to fly in formation with the AWACS
>So far so good
>Get the idea to recreate that scene from Sky Fighters where the Mirage flies under the passenger liner
>Do that
>Hellyes, I am the sick anon guy
>AWACS tilts and I overcompensate..
>Mission over
>Get promoted

• Like 1