Rave + slight Rant: Going vegetarian, maybe even vegan

Käpt'n

Ever since I started supporting some animal conservation networks I felt like a hypocrite because I was eating meat which in turn pretty much enables the suffering of other animals.
I have been meat-free for about two weeks now. Feels pretty good! I'm not entirely sure but I feel a little more healthy, too. But I could be imagining that.
The whole veggie stuff doesn't taste too bad as well. I tried some fake cordon blue, fake chicken nuggets and vegetarian "meatballs". That's what they are called, I never ate something with quotation marks in the name before! Pretty exciting (and scary because I had no idea what they would taste like*). All that stuff is pretty alright, nothing amazing though. But that's ok, I want to cook more anyway instead of just heating stuff up.
The vegan Bolognese sauce with soy instead of meat surprised me though. It wasn't great but it definitely was one of the better Bolognese sauces I have tried. And I can't tell the difference between soy and meat in this case! Same consistency and taste. Which makes sense because it's both just protein and it tastes more like the sauce than meat anyway.
Going to grocery stores is hard though. One day they played a lot of ads for barbecue meat over the speakers. It's like they were trying to tempt me. But I resisted!

When I first started I messed up though. I was incredibly tired when I went to my way to work and wanted to get some food. I stumbled to one of the food stands at the central station and when I "woke up" at the platform I noticed that I was eating a baguette with meat on it.
Didn't happen again but it really annoyed me.

However, there is one thing that really sucks about this. I am farting constantly. And I have never taken so many dumps throughout the day. Holy crap. Literally. It's awful. And that stench! Oh man... Back in school during a really hot summer I let one rip in a classroom once and we nearly had to evacuate the room (not making this up, it was amazingly bad) and I was proud about that, but even to me this is pretty awful.

So anyway, I feel great, I think I can go through with this.

Bonus rave: A customer handed me a "broken" phone at work and I think I got it to work again. It's even better than my current phone! Yay :3

*They are dry and tasteless. It's like you are chewing on nothing.

• Like 1

Congrats on making yourself a promise and sticking to it, not a lot of people can say they did that. I won't complain about somebody reducing the demand for meat either, while I don't necessarily believe that people shouldn't eat meat at all, modern society is definitely over-reliant on meat as a staple, and as a result it's caused a lot of shitty conditions for farm animals, both in terms of ethical treatment and of hygiene.

• Like 2

I couldn't be a vegetarian if someone paid me to like it was a job,
but good on you for making a decision and sticking with it.

Just be careful and mind your nutrients.
I hear people get sick easily on pure vegan diets if they aren't taking supplements and their body isn't used to it, yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Be careful with the soy stuff if you are looking to replace your protein. You are better off eating beans, quinoa and lentils than soy stuff. Besides, some of it may say it is meatless, but it may have meat fats in it. 

Right now I'm mixing it up anyway because I'm trying all sorts of different things.
I love beans, so that is definitely something I wanted to go with.

7 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

Congrats on making yourself a promise and sticking to it, not a lot of people can say they did that. I won't complain about somebody reducing the demand for meat either, while I don't necessarily believe that people shouldn't eat meat at all, modern society is definitely over-reliant on meat as a staple, and as a result it's caused a lot of shitty conditions for farm animals, both in terms of ethical treatment and of hygiene.

On the one hand I wanted to do it because I didn't want to support the system that makes these animals live in horrible conditions anymore. There has been a ruling at a court recently that said that it is ok to just shred living male chicks because they are worthless for the meat industry. Apparently this is compatible with our animal protection laws because them making money is more important I guess.

On the other hand eating meat kind of means to eat corpses... Which to me has always been a pretty gross idea :P

2 minutes ago, Vae said:

I couldn't be a vegetarian if someone paid me to like it was a job,
but good on you for making a decision and sticking with it.

Just be careful and mind your nutrients.
I hear people get sick easily on pure vegan diets if they aren't taking supplements and their body isn't used to it, yet.

Apparently it is very easy to suffer from malnutrition because most people start to keep eating the same stuff.
If you switch it up and do some research on what to eat to stay healthy it's pretty easy to have a good diet.

Good luck!

24 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

Back in school during a really hot summer I let one rip in a classroom once and we nearly had to evacuate the room (not making this up, it was amazingly bad) and I was proud about that, but even to me this is pretty awful.

Oh yeah, I've encountered one of those before. The teacher even broke character and said "I think somebody needs to go to the bathroom". It was like somebody dropped a stink bomb in the room.

1 minute ago, SirRob said:

I'm happy for you, mister lemur man! I'm not a vegetarian, but I totally support the vegetarian cause. Have you been doing research on what you should be eating for protein or to reduce the gassiness?

Yeah I've looked into that. Should be easy enough! Near the place where I work we have several stores where I can get everything I would ever need. And the best part is that's only gonna be very slightly more expensive than my previous diet.
As for the gassiness, it's getting better already I think. My guts are probably just adjusting, I've been eating mostly just meat for the last 27 years afterall.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Yoo, check out what I had for lunch yo!

Good luck!

IMG_20160428_161059.jpg

Have fun eating your burnt animal corpses :V I'll take some fries though! Those look pretty dope.

A restaurant close to where I work is selling sweetpotato fries. I tried them once, I need to get those again.

4 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

Apparently it is very easy to suffer from malnutrition because most people start to keep eating the same stuff.
If you switch it up and do some research on what to eat to stay healthy it's pretty easy to have a good diet.

With soy, you want to be careful because too much of it will inhibit your body's ability to absorb key vitamins and shit...as well as up your estrogen.

The last study I saw on meat-eaters vs vegans, the meat-eater was healthier by a landslide. And the vegan was a fitness fanatic whereas the meat-eater was not.

Might pay to take a before and after blood test to see the difference. Something to consider. 

3 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

Have fun eating your burnt animal corpses :V I'll take some fries though! Those look pretty dope.

A restaurant close to where I work is selling sweetpotato fries. I tried them once, I need to get those again.

*Delicious burnt animal corpses.

Vitamin B12 is only found naturally in animal products. Your body needs this so take a vitamin supplement. A health vegan diet is very hard to achieve. Have your doctor check your blood regularly to make sure you are not deficient in any vitamins. Congratulations on your new "lifestyle" and try to avoid following common pitfalls: 

1) Telling everyone you are a vegan every ten minutes. This is gets annoying really fast. 

2) Shitting on everyone who does not share your lifestyle. This also gets old fast. 

3) Making a huge deal out of where to eat when you are out with friends. This is a good way to not get invited anywhere anymore. 

4) Don't participate in moral bargaining. Your choice does not make you better than anyone. It is not a catch all for goodness. Nobody is perfect. Feeling better about yourself is healthy. Feeling that other people are beneath you isn't. 

In short don't let your new lifestyle choice - and it is a choice - mess with your social life. 

• Like 9

idk

livestock animals are bred to be eaten

that's their only purpose

if you don't eat them someone else will

if nobody eats them they'll stand around for 10-20 years and then die

being eaten is all they're good for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Congratulations on your new "lifestyle" and try not to avoid following common pitfalls: 

1) Telling everyone you are a vegan every ten minutes. This is gets annoying really fast. 

2) Shitting on everyone who does not share your lifestyle. This also gets old fast. 

3) Making a huge deal out of where to eat when you are out with friends. This is a good way to not get invited anywhere anymore. 

4) Don't participate in moral bargaining. Your choice does not make you better than anyone. It is not a catch all for goodness. Nobody is perfect. Feeling better about yourself is healthy. Feeling that other people are beneath you isn't. 

In short don't let your new lifestyle choice - and it is a choice - mess with your social life. 

Was gonna bring this up earlier but didn't know how to say it like that.

Also I get the feeling some people may be confusing vegetarianism with veganism.

Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, or poultry. Vegans, in addition to being vegetarian, do not use other animal products and by-products such as eggs, dairy products, honey, leather, fur, silk, wool, cosmetics, and soaps derived from animal products.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zerig said:

idk

Nope. 

They're the future leather interior of my car. If you won't eat them, I'll use them to bring comfort to my butt for long road trips. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zerig said:

idk

That's the sad part, we gave them this awful purpose. 

I used to make that argument as well. "If we stop eating pigs they'll all die and go extinct anyway!" It's stupid.

Anyway, for now I'm only trying a vegetarian diet. Once I have fully adjusted to it I might go vegan. So malnutrition isn't really a huge concern for me right now. 

4 hours ago, Zerig said:

idk

Hmmm for me it's more just the feeling of contributing to the killings of the animals, which I know I could never do or watch if I had to...

Maybe the 'meat is murder!' vegans have gotten to me.

3 hours ago, Vitaly said:

And that's how vegans destroy our ozone layer.

And contribute to global warming!

6 hours ago, Zerig said:

idk

So you feel that there are creatures who don't have an intrinsic right to life? What about animals who don't have any purpose to humans at all, do they not have a reason to exist either? I mean, you have a right to your opinion, but it's not one I can respect at all. 

sweet potato fries are nasty >:[

anyway, occasionally waking up next to a half-eaten ham sandwich doesn't necessarily make you a hypocritical seal clubbing savage... though i would be mildly concerned that you were becoming some kind of werewolf.  if you don't want to give up the meats, you can be conscientious of where your meat comes from and respectfully acknowledge the almighty food web... or you can continue to do the vegetarian thing if that's what makes you more comfortable.  but either way, you shouldn't feel bad about a "slip up" in your new diet.  it's a big change, and arguably one that comes with a lot of health concerns.  if it comes down to it, you can still advocate better treatment for the cows while eating that free range grass fed burger. 

but as long as you're happy, then go for it.  do what makes you feel good, and as long as you look after your health and don't be a buttface, you're golden.

just... send all your unwanted meat foods my way.  help a brotha out imo

On 1.6.2016 at 10:21 AM, Toshabi said:

Delicious!

That guy is incredibly annoying.

On 1.6.2016 at 3:44 PM, 6tails said:

Nothing has an intrinsic right to live. Nature doesn't give a flying fuck about 'rights.'

Just like we don't have a right to breed animals so they can live a horrible life only two be slaughtered in the end.

1 hour ago, Käpt'n said:

That guy is incredibly annoying.

Just like we don't have a right to breed animals so they can live a horrible life only two be slaughtered in the end.

So in the end, it's all to feel good and quell that burning in your bossom. Cause as far as I know, evolution doesn't give a fuck. 

13 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Your choice does not affect anything but you. Don't even start with this "for a better cause" bullshit.

But it is a better cause. Keeping animals that are only bred to be murdered and then eaten is wrong, especially considering the awful conditions that they grow up in.
Then there are the ecological aspects of why it's bad...

I don't want to be the guy who starts shaming people for eating a freaking burger or meat in general. I do think that going away from producing and eating meat is important but this isn't something that can be done over night.

Just now, Käpt'n said:

But it is a better cause. Keeping animals that are only bred to be murdered and then eaten is wrong, especially considering the awful conditions that they grow up in.
Then there are the ecological aspects of why it's bad...

I don't want to be the guy who starts shaming people for eating a freaking burger or meat in general. I do think that going away from producing and eating meat is important but this isn't something that can be done over night.

Those animals your "saving" are bred to be eaten no matter what you do. They will still die and they will still be eaten even if it's not by you. That, or their meat is wasted and thrown away. 

If you want to be a vegetarian, that's cool. That's on you. There is nothing wrong with that! However, do not get this 'holier than thou' attitude. Do not be that annoying asshat that thinks he's saving the entire fucking world because he's eating some celery sticks. 

You are making a personal choice, and that is it.

4 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Those animals your "saving" are bred to be eaten no matter what you do. They will still die and they will still be eaten even if it's not by you. That, or their meat is wasted and thrown away. 

If you want to be a vegetarian, that's cool. That's on you. There is nothing wrong with that! However, do not get this 'holier than thou' attitude. Do not be that annoying asshat that thinks he's saving the entire fucking world because he's eating some celery sticks. 

You are making a personal choice, and that is it.

Thank you for telling me what I already knew.

I stopped eating meat out of a personal choice, that is correct. No need to hammer down on that. Society as a whole needs to realize that this:

menu-nav-rotisserie-chicken.png

grows up like this:

chicken.jpg

And if it happens to hatch as male instead of female it dies like this:

DC4219FC4E3355D7A0BE4041E9D264A5.jpg

Those are the facts. That's how it works. And why is it like that? Because we keep putting animals in positions that only benefit us.

1 hour ago, Käpt'n said:

It's the right thing to do.

Why????? Where in the evolutionary chain says its "wrong" to eat another animal? iirc, its survival of the fittest and adaptability. Who's to say farming our own burgers isn't just advancement? Cause if you ask me, that's the most delicious turn our species as a whole could've ever invented. Not to mention we've been doing this since the dawn of time.

Unless you of all people are going off of "morals"????

13 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Why????? Where in the evolutionary chain says its "wrong" to eat another animal? iirc, its survival of the fittest and adaptability. Who's to say farming our own burgers isn't just advancement? Cause if you ask me, that's the most delicious turn our species as a whole could've ever invented. Not to mention we've been doing this since the dawn of time.

Unless you of all people are going off of "morals"????

Other animals don't have a choice though. Cats literally can't eat plants to sustain themselves, they absolutely need to eat meat to survive, so it's not a moral issue.
But we humans don't necessarily need meat to survive and unlike other animals we are much more aware of our surroundings and of our actions. We do have the choice what to eat.
If we just hunted animals and only took what we needed I wouldn't see any issue with that either. But unfortunately almost all meat that we consume comes from places like those I posted above. THAT is where it becomes a moral issue. That we actively choose to treat animals that way just so we can eat something that we don't even need to eat.

I mean, just to put a number on it, there are currently about 20 billion chickens and most of them are being kept in horrible places like the ones above. Just in Germany alone about 50 million male chicks are being shredded or gassed right after birth every single year. Why? Because they are worthless for the companies that sell chicken meat. A living being is deemed worthless and sentenced to death just because it can't contribute to the financial gain of the company. All because people want to eat chicken with lots of meat.
I just don't think that's right and that an industry like that should not exist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

Other animals don't have a choice though. Cats literally can't eat plants to sustain themselves, they absolutely need to eat meat to survive, so it's not a moral issue.
But we humans don't necessarily need meat to survive and unlike other animals we are much more aware of our surroundings and of our actions. We do have the choice what to eat.
If we just hunted animals and only took what we needed I wouldn't see any issue with that either. But unfortunately almost all meat that we consume comes from places like those I posed above. THAT is where it becomes a moral issue. That we actively choose to treat animals that way just so we can eat something that we don't even need to eat.

I mean, just to put a number on it, there are currently about 20 billion and most of them are being kept in horrible places like the ones above. Just in Germany alone about 50 million male chicks are being shredded or gassed right after birth every single year. Why? Because they are worthless for the companies that sell chicken meat. A living being is deemed worthless and sentenced to death just because it can't contribute to the financial gain of the company. All because people want to eat chicken with lots of meat.
I just don't think that's right and that an industry like that should not exist.

Oh.

Okay then. That really doesn't matter cause they were bred purely to be a delicious burger so yeah. This really sounds more "feel good" than logically if you ask me, which is even more strange coming from you, considering your stance on other moral topics ect. ect. 

Maybe don't support those specific places. 
I get my meat locally where they're raised right.You might not get to have that luxury, but I'm sure you can find someplace that sells chicken that's raised to your moral standards.

• Like 1

Just now, Toshabi said:

Oh.

Okay then. That really doesn't matter cause they were bred purely to be a delicious burger so yeah.

Why doesn't that matter? They are still living beings and not just things.

Yes, we have given them a purpose and that purpose happens to be their death. But the fact that we have done that to begin with is in itself immoral.

I went vegetarian for about 4 months last year. Not because I particularly care about the feelings of delicious, delicious animals. It honestly make me feel good. Physically. And I lost a few pounds.

I think people eat too much meat. It shouldn't be the main course. It should be a side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilBear said:

I went vegetarian for about 4 months last year. Not because I particularly care about the feelings of delicious, delicious animals. It honestly make me feel good. Physically. And I lost a few pounds.

I think people eat too much meat. It shouldn't be the main course. It should be a side.

Agreed. At the least, equal portions. 

7 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Maybe don't support those specific places. 
I get my meat locally where they're raised right.You might not get to have that luxury, but I'm sure you can find someplace that sells chicken that's raised to your moral standards.

I live in a region with roughly 90% muslims. If you buy meat here it either comes from places like the ones in the images or from some ass backwards mudslime country where they let animals bleed out while they are still conscious (or a factory in Germany where they are killed the same way).
So no, unfortunately that is not an option.

Again, I don't have anything against eating meat in general. I just wish people would realize where that meat is coming from, what is being done to animals to produce that meat and what effects it has on the environment.

• Like 1