Orlando: The Victims

Lucyfish

So there was a domestic terrorist attack in Orlando last night.

A heavily armed man walked into the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando and opened fire, taking hostages. There are at least 50 people confirmed dead, and 53 injured. This has been labelled as the worst mass shooting in United States history. Just goes to show that US terrorists come from this country, not other ones.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/06/12/shooting-orlando-club/85785254/

This is incredibly horrifying news, and my heart goes out to everyone negatively involved.

MOD EDIT: This thread is for about talking about the VICTIMS. If you want to talk about the shooter, his motivations, his religion, anything to do with the shooter, and further more politics on guns, america, etc, go to Orlando: The Shooter

This thread has opened up again after posts that are off topic, or unserious, have been hidden. At this point in time, no punishments have been given. Please keep using this thread for its intended purpose, and the other thread for its intended purpose. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Just out of respect, and  know it will come up soon, but please do no turn this into a theological debate. 

It's a terrible tragedy.

Also, if you are in the Florida area, there's a call for blood and plasma donations. I think they are asking for O+, O-, and AB.
http://www.wftv.com/news/local/orlando-blood-bank-seeks-blood-plasma-donors-after-mass-shooting/338316310

5 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

This attack as far as I know had nothing to do with religion, but everything to do with hate. I just hope the injured people who are in critical condition can pull through.

That I know. Since there's a few news outlets shouting that he's with ISIS/ISIL, it will come out sooner or later. 

Other than that, I am just finding out if my state's doing a blood drive for them and shipping it.

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Other than that, I am just finding out if my state's doing a blood drive for them and shipping it.

Just be careful, in the US it is still illegal for anybody who is LGBT to give blood.

• Like 1

An unimaginable tragedy. I wish there was something more material I could do to help but I'm ineligible to donate blood.

As for the motive, there's still a lot of speculation, but the majority of it seems to support the Islamic Terrorism angle.

I wouldn't unquestionably accept he US Government's explanation considering they still call the Fort Hood shooting "workplace violence".

An incredibly shitty situation, my heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones.

I thought it was pretty decent of them to let all people donate blood in this sad tragedy. (Which kinda goes to show the ban is really a discrimination thing)

Lot's of people coming together because of this. <3 That's encouraging. 

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

You just have to emotionally detach yourself from the nature of the conversation. Also, the topic would seem to naturally fall into this sort of discussion, given the underlying nature of the topic.

Ah, I know this. I'm not the people who get emotionally attached to these sorts of things. More simply, I know of quite a few people who are. I like to keep emotional reactions in mind when I make an argument. See whether it's worth it or not. Here, I don't find it worth it. There's a time and a place, and I don't feel this is it. However, that's just my opinion, so instead of stopping it, I'll choose to remove myself. I don't want to be part of a problem. 

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I'll take the blame for that. 

Is ok, ilu. It was a good thing to mention, the fact it was unbanned. I'm more concerned with going in depth about such a touchy subject. You left it in a very respectable spot, I felt. 

7 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Because people came on in here accusing doctors of being homophibes, falaffel. Gay men should be especially aware of the risk they have of catching a blood disease. None of us should die of ignorance.

Like I said, a time and a place. Something this forum has no real sense in finding. 

It bothers me that we know so much about this Omar Mateen while I am finding it difficult to get as little as the names of any victims. I have no doubt that would please him, and fuck him for that.

8 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Welp

That is an odd thing to do if you want to be a part of ISIS. Each member's allegiance is not to the "Islamic State;" it is to the "will of God." They apparently support his actions despite that Islamic faux pas. Not sure if they have claimed he was actually part of the group, though.

• Like 1

So are mass-shootings, like, an annual thing in the Americas now?
If only your average bogan and their 20 cousins didn't have such liberal access to weapons... No. There's no way. Addressing something along those lines would do nothing.

Well, see you guys in the 2017 mass-shooting thread!

10 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Some of them might not be out as gay, so one could understand if the police are cautious to identify them.

My complaint isn't about the lack of information on the victims; it is on the release of information about the attacker.

Nothing should be changed, though. I am just aggravated that he is essentially abusing the media to serve him. He is already halfway to a household name, and he probably wanted that to happen to spread his 'message.'

19 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Over 300 occur in the USA each year, if you define a mass shooting as any shooting rampage with more than 4 fatalities.

Patently false.

That 300 number stems from a propaganda website that loosely applies the definition of four or more wounded, including the attacker. This site was also found to have included, among other things, pellet gun shootings and non-gunfire injuries in its list.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/oct/08/debbie-wasserman-schultz/how-many-americans-have-been-killed-mass-shootings/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/03/term-mass-shooting-confuses-public-and-masks-phenomenon/76717870/

The real number, following the definitions of mass killing accepted by the FBI and Congressional Research Service -- four or more people killed in a short period of time excluding the perpetrator -- is closer to 15-25.

If there's one thing that pisses me off, it's blatant agenda-driven lies being passed around as fact.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Hewge said:

Well, see you guys in the 2017 mass-shooting thread!

We have a major mass-shooting thread or tangent in a thread about every four months, actually. The Paris thread is the only one I can remember being outside of the U.S.

There are many more mass shootings in the U.S. than we have threads for them, though. Not a comforting fact, but a fact nonetheless.

• Like 1

Hopefully there will be no other tragedies during this month or at upcoming Prides.

29 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Apparently no tragedy can go on without you guys arguing about it.

I don't think tragedy is a reason to let the argument stop. If it were, the Labor Rights Movement, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Enlightenment would have never gone where they had.

I would understand if it were over pedantic BS, though. We are getting there, but we haven't reached that yet.

Speaking of argument, RT America, RT International, and RT are reporting on the event in so many different ways that it highlights how extremely political this event is going to be.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Probably because Christians are still mostly accepted in our society, while Muslims are hated no matter what. 

This is a really bad time to defend Muslims, though. I'd rather focus on the losses we've had, giving out respect to the LGBT community. We can talk about how now all Muslims are bad once they haven't been doing mass murders. 

I'm not really in support of "fuck all Muslims, they're all awful people". However I very much understand the hate. It is very hard to see the good in something that never shows it.

This is one of the wisest responses I've seen to a tragedy like this.

I can't be bothered to read this whole thing but it looks like it's getting pretty heated.

so friendly reminder that if you can't be civil about this discussion, which is pretty damn serious,  you need to remove yourself from it 

Heavy shit. Makes you wonder if the LGBT scene was the target or was random. 

Besides, I thought the war was the worst mass shooting in U.S history. But if we're talking domestic disputes outside out war, I thought that school shooting was the worst. Didn't 80 something people die in that?

Sickening. I literally felt like throwing up when I saw this in the news. Looks like an obvious hate crime to me. I'm not going to blame an entire religion, however, for the actions of a deranged killer. Violent criminals come up with all sorts of reasons, inexcusable rationalizations, for what they do... but they are still responsible for their own actions. Rather than making this about our political views, let's instead grieve with those who lost loved ones in this tragedy.

6 hours ago, Gryphoneer said:

So what really happened here is that a violent nutcase could commit the worst mass shooting in US history because he lived in an environment with the worst gun laws in history.

Have you seen US history in 1800's in the West? Honestly, with new laws passed ever year, this country has the strictest gun laws in its history.

Also it's pretty unfair to compare ALL of US to just individual European countries. If you want to be fair, compare all of US to all of Europe, since US has a huge population with very different cultures and situations too. Some of those countries to the east and south in Europe aren't so hot on gun safety either.

By the way, regarding victims' names not being released because some of them may not be openly gay, here's a tragic thought: I wonder how many of their parents found out about them due to them being killed there? And then thought they deserved it for being dirty homos?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Have you seen US history in 1800's in the West? Honestly, with new laws passed ever year, this country has the strictest gun laws in its history.

Also it's pretty unfair to compare ALL of US to just individual European countries. If you want to be fair, compare all oh US to all of Europe, stove US has a huge population with very different cultures and situations too. Some of those countries to the east and south in Europe aren't so hot on gun safety either.

I think he's referring to Florida. Most of the southern and Midwest States are more liberal with their gun laws than States like New York or Illinois. I wouldn't say strict, but it's moderate in comparison to other counties. 

6 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I think he's referring to Florida. Most of the southern and Midwest States are more liberal with their gun laws than States like New York or Illinois. I wouldn't say strict, but it's moderate in comparison to other counties. 

I think even those are much more restrictive than they were when there were no gun laws, and you can just shoot someone in a duel at noon.

13 minutes ago, Rassah said:

I think even those are much more restrictive than they were when there were no gun laws, and you can just shoot someone in a duel at noon.

What a hideously uncivilized notion. 

I refuse to duel anyone until cocktail hour.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rassah said:

This really sucks. He wasn't really "heavily armed" either. Just had a pistol and an AR-15. I actually hope this motivates more people to get armed and learn to protect themselves.

Yeah totally. I'll just rambo those fuckers down because I'm like a fuckin' green beret irl and would totally not run in and get shot dead because life isn't a fucking video game.

• Like 4

Just now, Zeke said:

I'd say it's better to assume 1 for the meantime until news and police can confirm more than 1.

I'd say it is better to assume there are more.

If you assume the threat is gone you are more likely to be killed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

I'd say it is better to assume there are more.

If you assume the threat is gone you are more likely to be killed. 

Yeah but witnesses in these chaotic events tend to get a lot of things wrong since there's so much panic and shit going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

This really sucks. He wasn't really "heavily armed" either. Just had a pistol and an AR-15. I actually hope this motivates more people to get armed and learn to protect themselves. Every time one of these things happens, outsiders demand people have less means to protect themselves, even though these things keep happening where weapons are already banned. And the old excuses where "there will be a lot of casualties" just start looking less convincing with numbers like "50 dead and 53 injured," or like the 130 or so shot in France.

Just a pistol and an AR-15? What the fuck is heavily armed to you? Should he have burst through the doors with a tank while handling a bazooka? I've never seen anybody strolling around in public with an assault rifle, let alone figuring "ah, it's probably just for protection..."

57 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Also it's pretty unfair to compare ALL of US to just individual European countries. If you want to be fair, compare all of US to all of Europe, since US has a huge population with very different cultures and situations too. Some of those countries to the east and south in Europe aren't so hot on gun safety either.

By the way, regarding victims' names not being released because some of them may not be openly gay, here's a tragic thought: I wonder how many of their parents found out about them due to them being killed there? And then thought they deserved it for being dirty homos?

Knock knock, neighbours up north here, no fucking crazy shit like that happening at least once a year.

(also not allowed to purchase and carry and automatic weapon outside of a range)

What happened was a tragedy, and I honestly think steps should be taken to avoid anything like that ever happening again. Especially considering the fucking reject that perpetrated the event had already been part of an investigation related to terrorism. The whole more guns is the solution argument which you seem to be leaning toward is fucking insane to me. How, in the fuck - when some degenerate waste of fucking skin can go out and pick up an AR-15 (a light weapon?) alongside however much ammunition - is it a solution to give everybody more guns?

• Like 1