#HeterosexualPrideDay

Toshabi

Bait.

But hook line and sinker, people bit it hard and now it's the #1 trending thing on the twitter feed. Now, normally, I really don't get serious in topics, but today, I want to put aside the Toshabi Perspective for a moment and have a real talk about what I witnessed today. The key words being Intolerance, hate and biggotry.

In theory, it seemed like a dick thing to make and celebrate; What right have they to go on about their sexuality like this? They have nothing to celebrate. There is no sense in having pride in being straight. Nobody persecutes you, so why should we acknowledge them when they do nothing in life but oppress, hate and discriminate? All the straight man and women do is make life harder for us LGBT folk.

Well, Toshabi asks that you take a step away from your keyboards for a second here. Clearly, #HeterosexualPrideDay is a bait to get people riled up, but why is it that the first thing that come spewing from people are these blanket remarks? More importantly, why are we becoming the judge on what should and what shouldn't be celebrated these days? Why can't a straight male or female take pride in the sexuality they are and celebrate the relationship they have with their spouse? More importantly, why must we demonize an entire sexuality simply because they are "not the sexuality that carries the burden"? Isn't the message of our LGBT community all about tolerance and inclusion?

You know it pisses me off a bit how we can play the tolerance card and have all this talk of acceptance when the first things that come out of our mouths is venom, hatred and spite over a simple hashtag. Coexist is a common key word and trend amongst the people of our generation, but we're most intollerant of the majority. Keep in mind, it's thanks to a majority of straight folk rallying behind those in the LGBT community and changing their way of thought for why we even made as much traction as we have so far; granted we had to deal with the oppression and hate from all sorts of sources and what not, but why blanket the masses? Why have it where you can't target the possible offenders using this hashtag to slander gay folk and why must you make it a personal attack on all straights? Its reasons like this why people have to apologize in this day and age for being white and straight and even a gender. 

What went wrong in life to allow this kind of acceptable hate to be apart of our culture? Why can't we live and let live? Why can't we accept heterosexuals wanting to have a day to be prideful in being who they are? It's silly, yeah, and maybe a little outlandish, but I ask: What harm is this doing? Do you feel it will be a centerpiece for causing a ruckus and allowing the "evil straights" to form a union to strike down homosexuality once and for all?

From all the toxic tweets I read today, one thing is for sure: If you are straight, you are looked down upon as the villain. And I'm positive that's not going to make anyone on the other side of the fence want to tear down the walls that divide us. It's only going to strengthen the wall that divides us to the point of no return. And it won't be entirely their fault for why this is; we're essentially giving them the fuel they need to keep on with the way they do.

Just my thought on it all, it isn't the gospel. Feel free to throw in your 2 cents into my pile of change.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

From all the toxic tweets I read today, one thing is for sure: If you are straight, you are looked down upon as the villain.

55013924.jpg

Anywho, I think any reasonable person can pretty much see "straight pride" for what it is. The #Alllivesmatter for the gay rights movement. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky said:

I think this is great! A day when guys get to objectify women, watch half-naked sweaty men wrestle with each other and not feel gay about it and assert our dominance by fighting every anyone who gets too close and breathes on us.

The most important question, though.. What should the flag be?

:V

f4b.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Butters said:

55013924.jpg

Anywho, I think any reasonable person can pretty much see "straight pride" for what it is. The #Alllivesmatter for the gay rights movement. 

Be a good boy and look at the top trending tweets on twitter.

So then I ask: Why must it be bashed? You can leave the meme images out of this. I would like a serious and reason to bash the day/notion. If equality is equality, why must it be that a majority is not allowed to partake in a pride day? How is this reasonable? Please enlighten me, for this looks to me to be a case of acceptable hate.

2 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I think this is great! A day when guys get to objectify women, watch half-naked sweaty men wrestle and not feel gay about it, and assert their dominance by fighting anyone who breathes on them.

Something vaguely public restroom related. Not that that's gay at all. :V

straight-pride1.png

(What would the children look like?)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I think this is great! A day when guys get to objectify women, watch half-naked sweaty men wrestle with each other and not feel gay about it and assert our dominance by fighting every anyone who gets too close and breathes on us.

So is this not the same lop-sided discrimination us gays complain the straights do to us? Is this really the right response?

Just now, Toshabi said:

So then I ask: Why must it be bashed? You can leave the meme images out of this. I would like a serious and reason to bash the day/notion. If equality is equality, why must it be that a majority is not allowed to partake in a pride day? How is this reasonable? Please enlighten me, for this looks to me to be a case of acceptable hate.

Gay pride is a movement that was born to disarm the strongest weapon used to keep gay people down: Shame. (Shame often involved self-hatred, invisablity, and not uncommonly suicide). The movement propelled lgbt awareness, self worth, and the movement for their basic human rights. LGBT are more prone to hate attacks (and Orlando was just a few weeks ago too), discrimination in the workplace, and still are unequal in much of the world just because of the people they chose to love. 

LGBT are uniquely disadvantaged in that often are born into a household that does not share their specific minority status and thus cannot relate to their issues. The gays rights movement has provided them a more fair environment which to live and love. 

Heterosexual pride is a concept created by those who are in opposition to lgbt equality and meant to undermine and mock the need for gay pride. To say that heterosexuals have been shamed and discriminated for their heterosexuality and still do to this day would be disingenuous. 

You know this though. Pretty much all of the western world knows these facts. And if not, Stonewall Inn is now a national monument and I'm sure they have plenty of educational material on it there. It's as good a reason as any to visit New York. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Butters said:

Gay pride is a movement that was born to disarm the strongest weapon used to keep gay people down: Shame. (Shame often involved self-hatred, invisablity, and not uncommonly suicide). The movement propelled lgbt awareness, self worth, and the movement for their basic human rights. LGBT are more prone to hate attacks (and Orlando was just a few weeks ago too), discrimination in the workplace, and still are unequal in much of the world just because of the people they chose to love. 

LGBT are uniquely disadvantaged in that often are born into a household that does not share their specific minority status and thus cannot relate to their issues. The gays rights movement has provided them a more fair environment which to live and love. 

Heterosexual pride is a concept created by those who are in opposition to lgbt equality and meant to undermine and mock the need for gay pride. To say that heterosexuals have been shamed and discriminated for their heterosexuality and still do to this day would be disingenuous. 

You know this though. Pretty much all of the western world knows these facts. And if not, Stonewall Inn is now a national monument and I'm sure they have plenty of educational material on it there. It's as good a reason as any to visit New York. 

Thank you for indulging me.

And yes, I do know this. At our old apartment my fiance and I lived in were filled with people very intolerant to gays. The reason? Their religion did not see eye-to-eye with a man loving another man. What used to be us showing small gestures of love such as holding hands was quickly done away with when our neighbors would stop greeting us with smiles and changed it to scowls. Given the neighborhood we once lived in (San Diego's suburbs aren't all peaches and cream, surprisingly enough), getting beaten up, mugged and shot wasn't anything out of the question if you were caught alone in an area where the people didn't like you. It's hard to say "I'm prideful" in this day and age without getting a hell of a response back from the opposition. 

Heterosexual pride /is/ a concept that was meant to mock gays. It was a way to undermine all that we've went through as a group of people. But how we went around this was wrong. What was meant to bait out a response was not avoided but bitten into whole, which caused a wildfire of idiotic comments across the board from our side. A lot of people used this as an opportunity to spew out hatred, call outs and a means to bash an entire sexuality. In my original post, I directly called for those to bear arms against people who used this as a means to cause a ruckus, but what we got instead was much more than that; an all out digital environment to mock, ridicule and harass the concept of being straight as a whole. If I saw this knee jerk reaction as a straight male on the fence of gay marriage, I wouldn't have much sympathy for a group that responded to this by belittling straight people, it'd make me more of a hardass towards gay as a whole. 

Of course, it's not me saying "The poor innocent straights" either. It's me asking what true equality really is in this day and age. How sad is it that a response like this was taken instead of something very different. I mean, how much more positive of a message would've this sent if the gays played along with #heterosexualprideday and accepted those wishing to indulge in such a concept rather than scorn them for it? What would that have to say over all? I can assure you, the gays that treated the concept like that would've done the most work for the gay cause by showing that gays can surely play the bigger person in all of this. I mean, we're including THEM when they're too scared to include us?! That would've left a disgusting taste in the mouths of those who made the day to ridicule us and it would've definitely been an interesting message to send out overall.

Instead, we were left with venom being exchanged for venom. All it left me with was a sigh. Are we really this easy to dupe into acting like them? 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

. If I saw this knee jerk reaction as a straight male on the fence of gay marriage, I wouldn't have much sympathy for a group that responded to this by belittling straight people, it'd make me more of a hardass towards gay as a whole. 

That would make you a douche then, Toshabi. To side with your bigotry and actively discriminate and cause life to be harder for lgbt just because of some random mean tweets on twitter. Not to mention you wouldn't be much of an "ally" in the first place if you were "on the fence" about equality. Especially in this day and age with the amount of awareness and education that is at one's fingertips. (Which might explain why lgbt have had surges in support in these recent years)

I don't really understand the concept of "looking good for the majority". Wanting to appeal to them and not ruffle any feathers. Historically, the lgbt community put pressure on lawmakers and their representatives to obtain rights. That's not quite the same as asking nicely for them though. 

Is that what is at the heart of the matter? That you think lgbt should try to look good for heterosexuals? Play games with them like this het pride thing? I would disagree. I think expressing your disagreement and yes, even outrage and disgust is a healthy and productive way to go about things. And more honest. 

This could start a conversation about the vitriolic nature of twitter and social media in the digital age I suppose. But as a case for heterosexual pride, it's a pretty poor one. 

Well, I already know my view on it isnt going to be fully agreed on based on the OT but fuck it.

The whole straight pride thing is stupid to me. Hooray, you're having a day of pride based on a sexuality that isnt demonized and looked down and is the norm. Its the same dumb shit as people who go on about "Oh why isnt there a white history month" or "Why arent there black colleges" its the same idiotic mentality of trying to victimize as equally as the people who are actually victimized.

This isnt me speaking as a Tumblerite of..Cis hater..whatever dumb shit term is out there. I really do think the whole "straight pride" thing is ridiculous. Gay people online or offline made fun of you cause you're straight? Okay, they're assholes, but don't put yourself in the same spectrum to a group of people who deal with hatred on a much larger scale with greater risks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Straight people are pretty cool though.

Especially straight white males. 

They invented everything in the modern world. 

Anyone who isn't a straight white male and uses modern technology is practicing "cultural appropriation" and should be shamed. 

45 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Especially straight white males. 

They invented everything in the modern world. 

Anyone who isn't a straight white male and uses modern technology is practicing "cultural appropriation" and should be shamed. 

For real though, I was being absolutely serious. Not even shitposting. 

People are people, idgaf about what's going on in this thread.

Edited by Falaffel

28 minutes ago, Butters said:

That would make you a douche then, Toshabi. To side with your bigotry and actively discriminate and cause life to be harder for lgbt just because of some random mean tweets on twitter. Not to mention you wouldn't be much of an "ally" in the first place if you were "on the fence" about equality. Especially in this day and age with the amount of awareness and education that is at one's fingertips. (Which might explain why lgbt have had surges in support in these recent years). 

But of course, but isn't it always knee-jerk to treat malice with more malice? In this day and age, not a lot of people look at the finer line of things. People take in a few seconds of knowledge, form an opinion and then hold onto it like its the law. A person logs onto twitter, sees a hashtag (Mind you, without knowing what it is all about) #HeterosexualPrideDay laced with remarks mocking the concept of heterosexual pride, it's going to make a person who is pretty uneducated (much like the majority of people opposed to the gay cause) think "Wow, fags being fags lol". 

And that bolded part right there. How would you convince someone to join your cause when the first thing you opened up with is "You're a douche. You're a bigot! You aren't an ally, you're the enemy"? That's immediately going to make a person take a defensive stance against you and probably spark a fight. In the end, it's going to be "Poor gay butters totally told off some homophobe" instead of "Gay butters, convinced homophobe to stop being a homophobe". Sometimes, you have to drop the insults and poor choice of words if you wish to convince someone to take your side of things. Rarely do I see people convincing other people to take on their perspective by yelling at them and name dropping.

28 minutes ago, Butters said:

I don't really understand the concept of "looking good for the majority". Wanting to appeal to them and not ruffle any feathers. Historically, the lgbt community put pressure on lawmakers and their representatives to obtain rights. That's not quite the same as asking nicely for them though. 

Is that what is at the heart of the matter? That you think lgbt should try to look good for heterosexuals? Play games with them like this het pride thing? I would disagree. I think expressing your disagreement and yes, even outrage and disgust is a healthy and productive way to go about things. And more honest. 

This could start a conversation about the vitriolic nature of twitter and social media in the digital age I suppose. But as a case for heterosexual pride, it's a pretty poor one. 

It's not. It's simply playing the game. It's showing you're the bigger man. Bring on their opposition when someone drops a piece of legislature saying gays can't marry. Show them that this is your life they're toying with. Show them you're a real person. Don't call for their demise, death, and for the love of god, stop screaming "HOMOPHOBE HOMOPHOBE! DOUCHEBAG HOMOPHOBE". Convince them, for the love of god, to see that gay lives do matter, don't convince them that they're a homophobe. They probably know they're a homophobe due to a warped perception of gay people. Perceptions that translate out to loud, angry people who will belittle anyone whom they don't agree with. 

It makes me shake my head altogether. This mentality of "You're either for us or against us", what good does it do in the end to truly convince people? We'll stand for our rights, but we can do it without the name calling and petty insults, can't we? 

In the end, I just wish you and the others would stop preaching this stance of "Coexist" and "be tolerant" if this whole entire hashtag caused this much of a storm. Insult or not, in concept, we're saying heterosexual pride shouldn't be a thing, are we not? Can you at least answer me this? 

5 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

But of course, but isn't it always knee-jerk to treat malice with more malice?

No, some people actually take a look back at themselves and ponder their position. That's pretty much the crux of the "check your privilege" thing. For people to ponder how the system benefits one group over another. Are there people who get offended and insecure when it's pointed out? Oh, for sure. That's a growing pain, but it leads to a more open conversation. If a person doesn't wanna think or talk about things like heterosexism or racism or plain ole sexism...well, they aren't gonna change their minds on an issue anyway. 

There's a reason why gay marriage had to be legalized nationwide by the courts and not a ratification by all 50 states. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Butters said:

No, some people actually take a look back at themselves and ponder their position. That's pretty much the crux of the "check your privilege" thing. For people to ponder how the system benefits one group over another. Are there people who get offended and insecure when it's pointed out? Oh, for sure. That's a growing pain, but it leads to a more open conversation. If a person doesn't wanna think or talk about things like heterosexism or racism or plain ole sexism...well, they aren't gonna change their minds on an issue anyway. 

There's a reason why gay marriage had to be legalized nationwide by the courts and not a ratification by all 50 states. 

I suppose we'll not agree on the point on whether it's more effective to hold a sword to a man's throat or be diplomatic with them on convincing them. Sure, I think there's a time and place for both actions, but the case you and many others I've seen online take to it, it's doing more to hurt the cause than help it.

Now may you please provide a response to my other inquiries? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aouzy said:

I think pride is stupid in general. I don't need to feel special for not being straight.

Pride in my city had turned into a huge attention whoring event for the fetish crowd. 

A lot of people are now moving out of the gaybourhood because it has gotten too over the top and silly to the point that people are embarrassed to live there.

The final year I went to pride I ended up being surrounded by people with the dirty underwear fetish. It was totally disgusting. 

I have not been back to pride since. It has lost all meaning and is just loud and obnoxious now. 

Just now, Toshabi said:

Now may you please provide a response to my other inquiries? 

First things first. Pointing out the pointlessness of het pride isn't "holding a sword to a man's throat". That's just having a conversation. 

So now let's address another thing. You are confusing random twitter folk for gay rights activists. They aren't trying to convince anybody of anything. They are just expressing their disagreement/outrage (especially in the wake of Orlando) and in some cases humor. That's why they aren't being diplomatic or playing politics. It's just regular people doing what regular people do on twitter. Act like asses. 

I really wanna know, did you log onto twitter, see a couple of nasty tweets and come to the conclusion that all gays hate straights? No? Cuz that'd be pretty stupid wouldn't it?

27 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

In the end, I just wish you and the others would stop preaching this stance of "Coexist" and "be tolerant" if this whole entire hashtag caused this much of a storm. Insult or not, in concept, we're saying heterosexual pride shouldn't be a thing, are we not? Can you at least answer me this? 

No. that's not what anyone's saying. be proud to be straight, that's whatever. but it's kind of like going to someone else's birthday party and trying to make the whole thing about you

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Butters said:

First things first. Pointing out the pointlessness of het pride isn't "holding a sword to a man's throat". That's just having a conversation. 

So now let's address another thing. You are confusing random twitter folk for gay rights activists. They aren't trying to convince anybody of anything. They are just expressing their disagreement/outrage (especially in the wake of Orlando) and in some cases humor. That's why they aren't being diplomatic or playing politics. It's just regular people doing what regular people do on twitter. Act like asses. 

I really wanna know, did you log onto twitter, see a couple of nasty tweets and come to the conclusion that all gays hate straights? No? Cuz that'd be pretty stupid wouldn't it?

You don't need to put in the passive aggressive, belittling remarks. That's actually the sword-to-the-throat point I was making here.

Additionally, these people are your supporters. Your backers. Not all of them are gay, no, but here you are, championing along remarks that don't help either side (as you did with Ricky's initial post as well as making some rather snide remarks at the start of this thread). In fact, you yourself proved the very thing I felt should be addressed with the first two posts you made in here. Unless you and Ricky are just being regular people and are acting like asses and like to act like asses (your words, not mine)? Considering all you stand for, the way you conduct yourself and what you support, comment wise, it's well, plenty toxic to its own respect. It doesn't help much, all it does is incite anger and that doesn't do anything in the end but to increase the gap between the two parties. 

It's sad, but, thanks for proving my point in your responses to this thread. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toshabi said:

Unless you and Ricky are just being regular people and are acting like asses and like to act like asses (your words, not mine)?

I was referring to twitter and its vitriolic nature.  I even mentioned that it would be a good time to start a conversation about that if people are so concerned. 

Honestly, this whole thing just seems like an excuse for you to get offended for straight people, the mast majority of whom don't give one fuck about het pride. For or against. (And you sure don't see any trying to join a het pride parade do ya?) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Butters said:

Honestly, this whole thing just seems like an excuse for you to get offended for straight people, the mast majority of whom don't give one fuck about het pride. For or against. (And you sure don't see any trying to join a het pride parade do ya?) 

Wow, you're totally ignoring his point. Good fucking job.

• Like 1

Just now, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Wow, you're totally ignoring his point. Good fucking job.

Toshabi's point is that tweets against a movement meant to mock gays (which he already agreed to in earlier point) will spur bigoted people into confirmation bias. Which is sorta like saying grass is green. I've already stated that those types of people are too far gone earlier. 

You're basically ignoring my point, friend. 

2 hours ago, Toshabi said:

So is this not the same lop-sided discrimination us gays complain the straights do to us? Is this really the right response?

The whole "us gays" part kinda irks me. It implies that liking dick carries the onus of every single gay person's lack of self confidence, sharing the collective shame of everyone as a group. It's not my problem and while I don't mind giving out advice I'm not going to pretend to be a martyr when I could keep not giving a shit what others want my dick to go in. They are biased anyway, and probably gay themselves, at least the loudest ten percent of them, and I'm pretty sure they are last ones on Earth I'd ever take such advice from.

The idea of straight pride is a farce, so yes. That type of display would make the most sense.

8 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Do you get presents? 

Mostly butthurt and whining. 

But I tell people they can just re-gift those to someone else. 

8 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

You know what Butters, I'm not even going to bother arguing about this with you because it's crystal clear that you're just going to be condescending as all fuck about it, and I don't want to get angry right now.

Hey, I think your therapy is working. 

Good for you!

31 minutes ago, Ricky said:

The whole "us gays" part kinda irks me. It implies that liking dick carries the onus of every single gay person's lack of self confidence, sharing the collective shame of everyone as a group. It's not my problem and while I don't mind giving out advice I'm not going to pretend to be a martyr when I could keep not giving a shit what others want my dick to go in. They are biased anyway, and probably gay themselves, at least the loudest ten percent of them, and I'm pretty sure they are last ones on Earth I'd ever take such advice from.

The idea of straight pride is a farce, so yes. That type of display would make the most sense.

Considering how close knit the gay community is (or at least claims it is), I didn't think it was that much of a stretch or something to irk yourself by referring to it as "us gays". 

But then begs the question about this "All are equal" farce that people within the community and on the left as a whole seem to spoon feed as ideology yet go back on it every single day with these special exceptions of "Well,... you see, you're not quite as oppressed as X is".  In fact, if it weren't for that notion being such a big factor in the community, I wouldn't have made this thread to begin with. It's a lot of double standards, and that's part of the reason why the politics of it all give me more of a migraine than anything else. 

• Like 1

Strip any man or woman of their pride and stare at the ashes of things that once were. The withering only leads to outrage, sometimes courage for all the wrong reasons - the resort of madmen. I can expect some sort of hostility on both sides just because pride exists on one. The cause justifies the means in this case.  

Save what is good and don't become a hypocrite. Don't curse against your enemies, but rather what they do (if that's how you truly feel about them; Not to change the subject,  I know I haven't always lived up to this). It's hard to separate certain actions from a person, especially their most harmful. 

Pride, whether it be for one's culture or sexuality (maybe a history) will eventually kill all that you stand for and lastly, you.

Just my perspective. It's still liable to criticism. Maybe I made a fool of myself. Who knows?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aouzy said:

I think pride is stupid in general. I don't need to feel special for not being straight.

Not to state this in a bad way at all, but I believe it's because of people like Butters why people take this sentiment in the end. They see how these people act and treat others, which makes having this "Gay Pride" or pride in general to be nothing more than a tool to see yourself as better than others. There's proud of being gay then there's using it as a means to become the self-righteous judge of how society will be. When that happens, it no longer is about convincing the masses; it's about saying "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS" instead of showing that gays themselves are just normal people wanting a place in the world. 

• Like 1

The concept of straight pride in of itself does not bother me. I can't say that I care one way or another what a group, be it the minority or the majority, feels proud of. The problem with #straightpride is that it's very obviously a thing made specifically to mock or bait the LGBT community. 

And all the people taking that bait should be ashamed of themselves for being a bunch of immature little asswipes. Is it really to much to ask that people see something for what it is and not be stupid enough to fall for it?

Adding to that, whenever I see someone respond to something like that with venom, hate and aggression it shows me the very worst side of the community and I can say it's a side I want nothing to do with and I try everything I can to distance myself from it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toshabi said:

From all the toxic tweets I read today, one thing is for sure: If you are straight, you are looked down upon as the villain. And I'm positive that's not going to make anyone on the other side of the fence want to tear down the walls that divide us. It's only going to strengthen the wall that divides us to the point of no return. And it won't be entirely their fault for why this is; we're essentially giving them the fuel they need to keep on with the way they do.

this is why i keep saying that the "rise of the right" this decade is a direct fault of hard lefties/SJW types/tolerance-but-not-really fairies

when the "normal" person feels like the world they live in is gradually turning against them, they tend to get pissy

• Like 4