Pokemon GO is Racist Now

PastryOfApathy

Apparently, some idiot pretending to be a journalist on everyone's favorite games website Kotaku decided to create something so utterly baffling that I literally laughed out loud upon just reading the title.

"Pokémon Go Could Be A Death Sentence For A Black Man"*

I know Kotaku is gonna do Kotaku-y things no matter what happens, but it makes me sad that as a society we're apparently no longer allowed to have anything nice anymore. Why can't we just recognize something as being a nice little thing without dragging other unrelated shit into it so we can make it about race, poverty, violence and all the sorts of things I play fucking video games and shitpost on furry forums to get away from?

I'm not even going to talk about the article because it's so mind-numbingly stupid, that I can't even process it without just laughing out loud. But it should evident why it's so goddamn stupid.

*It's an archive link since I refuse to give Kotaku traffic as their walking jizzrags who insist they're "journalists" are paid by the click. Please do not link directly to Kotaku or any of it's equally-disgusting partner sites.

• Like 3

Really, it's not much different from writing articles about how people shouldn't play Pokemon Go while driving, or shouldn't go on private property, or should be careful to not walk off a cliff.

The difference is that people are still very uncomfortable with the reality that prejudice and inequality exist, and exert an influence over people's lives.

Many times, I've gotten away with wandering or snooping where I didn't belong. Other people are unfortunately not so lucky, because of the way they look. Ergo, people who are liable to be stereotyped or pigeonholed as "threatening," "dangerous," or "up to no good" need to be extra careful about even wandering in neutral territory.

• Like 1

"Black men were killed"

"They were playing Pokemon Go"

Conclusion: Pokemon Go kills black men

Apparently theyre too idiot to connect the dots that the problem is police and not a video game

...of course I skimmed the article so maybe I missed the point

Poke Go in general seems strange to me. It encourages kids to wander around searching for the monsters? Seems like it could incite a lot of trouble.

I've always lived in bad neighborhoods so maybe my view is sorta skewed, but I'd keep that thing away from my hypothetical kids :v

7 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Drop a pokemon lure in the hood.

Watch white people die. 

I don't know if anyone's died yet, but I have heard about people wandering into "bad neighborhoods" and getting mugged or attacked.

I've also read about muggers starting to stake out Pokemon hotspots, like lions who prowl the watering hole.

7 minutes ago, Troj said:

I don't know if anyone's died yet, but I have heard about people wandering into "bad neighborhoods" and getting mugged or attacked.

I've also read about muggers starting to stake out Pokemon hotspots, like lions who prowl the watering hole.

Someone in my city went onto the subway tracks to get one. 

Sadly the darwin award was not presented to him. 

• Like 1

There were two black kids who were walking down the street. One of them took out their cell phone and started the Pokemon Go app. Within moments, 6 white males in KKK hoods drove up in a truck with a confederate flag and swastika painted on top of it and blew the two children away. 

#BanGuns #BlackLivesMatter #TrumpIsARacist #Hillary2016

12 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

There were two black kids who were walking down the street. One of them took out their cell phone and started the Pokemon Go app. Within moments, 6 white males in KKK hoods drove up in a truck with a confederate flag and swastika painted on top of it and blew the two children away. 

#BanGuns #BlackLivesMatter #TrumpIsARacist #Hillary2016

When did they add a swastika to the General Lee?

2 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Somebody hasn't watched the newest Purge movie. Gosh.

If it was a BMW with a swastika on it they should call it the General Goring. 

Then they could make the ashtray joke and stuff. 

The horn would play that oomph pah tuba music. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

"Black men were killed"

"They were playing Pokemon Go"

Conclusion: Pokemon Go kills black men

Apparently theyre too idiot to connect the dots that the problem is police and not a video game

...of course I skimmed the article so maybe I missed the point

it's more "pokemon go encourages you to do things that are unsafe if you're black" like... walking around with your phone out, hanging around in parkinglots or other public property, circling a building a few times to try and get in range of a pokemon

all things that are completely legal to do and when you're white you don't think twice about it, but I've read many black people mentioning that they've had the police called on them for "suspicious activity" while playing the game

and yes, as you've alluded to, the police do not take kindly to black people

Literally no one is calling Pokemon Go "racist"

edit: Like you say "they're too idiot to blame the police" but the first line of the article is "This week has been a catastrophe for Blackness. Two men, Alton Sterlingand Philando Castile, were killed by police officers within 24 hours of each other"

This is all you need to read from the article really to understand it:

"The breakdown is simple:

There is a statistically disproportionate chance that someone could call the police to investigate me for walking around in circles in the complex.

There is a statistically disproportionate chance that I would be approached by law enforcement with fear or aggression, even when no laws have been broken.

There is a statistically disproportionate chance that I will be shot while reaching for my identification that I always keep in my back right pocket.

There is a statistically disproportionate chance that more shots will be fired and I will be dead before any medical assistance is available."

Can y'all at least read the article before bashing it, claiming that blm is a hack movement, that feminism (???) should be over and whatever the fuck else

second edit: because oh my god. Why is "read the article before you form an opinion on it" a radical statement. Y'all responding like the writer is saying "when you load it up on your phone and it detects that you're black it will try and kill you by exploding in your hand" or some shit

Edited by Another Ampers&
my GOD
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Another Ampers& said:

all things that are completely legal to do and when you're white you don't think twice about it, but I've read many black people mentioning that they've had the police called on them for "suspicious activity" while playing the game

I've heard stories about this, people try and hunt for the rare pokémon at the fences of nursery schools with their phones out, looking like they're filming the kiddies for later viewing

The article really isn't that bad, the writing itself is mediocre but if you read it to the end, they are making the point that walking around like the app encourages holds increased risks for black people to have police called on them and face possible violence from said police, not that Pokemon Go kills black people...

3 hours ago, Another Ampers& said:

A police dispatcher I know has told me they have received a drastic increase in the number of suspicious person calls since the release of Pokemon Go.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Osrik said:

The article really isn't that bad, the writing itself is mediocre but if you read it to the end, they are making the point that walking around like the app encourages holds increased risks for black people to have police called on them and face possible violence from said police, not that Pokemon Go kills black people...

A police dispatcher I know has told me they have received a drastic increase in the number of suspicious person calls since the release of Pokemon Go.

It's still completely retarded. Doesn't matter how you spin it.

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

It's still completely retarded. Doesn't matter how you spin it.

Which one of these points made by the article do you disagree with:

"There is a statistically disproportionate chance that someone could call the police to investigate me for walking around in circles in the complex.

There is a statistically disproportionate chance that I would be approached by law enforcement with fear or aggression, even when no laws have been broken.

There is a statistically disproportionate chance that I will be shot while reaching for my identification that I always keep in my back right pocket.

There is a statistically disproportionate chance that more shots will be fired and I will be dead before any medical assistance is available."

Literally all you've done is link the article and describe it as being "mind numbingly stupid", amoung other vague negatives

You've put yourself in a position where your only opinion is "I don't like this" and it's impossible to have a conversation with you on the subject outside of "I agree/disagree with you because of reasons external to your contribution"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Another Ampers& said:

Which one of these points made by the article do you disagree with:

"There is a statistically disproportionate chance that someone could call the police to investigate me for walking around in circles in the complex.

Literally all you've done is link the article and describe it as being "mind numbingly stupid", amoung other vague negatives

You've put yourself in a position where your only opinion is "I don't like this" and it's impossible to have a conversation with you on the subject outside of "I agree/disagree with you because of reasons external to your contribution"

I don't disagree with any of it, but none of those have anything to do with Pokemon GO.

It's cynical clickbait meant to take something that's topical that people have the audacity to enjoy, and spin into "WELL WHAT ABOUT ME LOOK I'M BEING OPPRESSED!" That's the point.

We're in an age where people can no longer stand the idea that something isn't about them and they can't handle that so they have to spin it to being about them because they're disgusting narcissists.

• Like 4

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

I don't disagree with any of it, but none of those have anything to do with Pokemon GO.

It's cynical clickbait meant to take something that's topical that people have the audacity to enjoy, and spin into "WELL WHAT ABOUT ME LOOK I'M BEING OPPRESSED!" That's the point.

Do you think that the article would like people not to enjoy Pokemon Go anymore

1 minute ago, Another Ampers& said:

Do you think that the article would like people not to enjoy Pokemon Go anymore

I don't care either way.

The entire point was meant to highlight another instance of "WHAT ABOUT ME" oppression olympic nonsense. People getting offended that people aren't focusing 100% of their time and energy focusing on them and are god forbid enjoying something.

A recent example would be the now infamous clip where some fuckheads were mad that people at a memorial service for people killed in that tragic Orlando shooting were talking about the victims and decided to literally hijack the service to start ranting about how they're the real victims. Y'know instead of the people who are fucking dead and their grieving families.

I'm not disputing that these are real issues, because they are. But they're not the only issues on the planet right now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

We're in an age where people can no longer stand the idea that something isn't about them and they can't handle that so they have to spin it to being about them because they're disgusting narcissists.

I don't disagree with any of it. BUT I want to be offended about it.

FTFY

12 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

The entire point was meant to highlight another instance of "WHAT ABOUT ME" oppression olympic nonsense. People getting offended that people aren't focusing 100% of their time and energy focusing on them and are god forbid enjoying something.

could you expand on this statement for me please? Specifically how it relates to the article

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I'm not disputing that these are real issues, because they are. But they're not the only issues on the planet right now.

that's true, but on the other hand, a police officier shot an unarmed social worker, who was lying on the ground with their hands in the air

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/miami-police-shooting-charles-kinsey-1.3688309

the kotaku article's title is complete clickbait, but maybe all this social pressure for police reform in the US is necessary. with all the fucked up shootings and asymmetrical treatment of race, it seems like the collective outrage is pretty justified, overall

• Like 1

I'm of two minds about the article, because part of me does agree with Pastry that the combination of hot game + hot social issue does reek of cynical clickbaiting. But, they certainly aren't wrong that blacks (and others) don't have the same luxury of just idly wandering around places that tiny, adorable, disabled white chicks like me have.

But, if a clickbait article about a hot game makes people think about genuine sociopolitical problems, then, I'd call that a net positive.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Troj said:

But, if a clickbait article about a hot game makes people think about genuine sociopolitical problems, then, I'd call that a net positive.

I'd argue no, personally. I don't think that escapism can benefit from being politicised, especially when something it's something as innocuous, innocent, wholesome, and ideologically neutral as a virtual easter-egg hunt for Pokémon.
Uninvited and unwarranted soapboxing gets tiresome, especially when people check these so-called videogame news sites periodically. I like to think that they're bit more interested in whether or not the game is going to be patched for stability, or if Nintendo is going to confirm that they're going to expand the Pokémon selection before the year is out.

But, I don't think it's going to change any time soon. People writing about videogames for Gawker have not been subtle about how much they actually dislike videogames and videogame hobbyists, and they have repeatedly shown that they are very incompetent at both playing and analysing games, like the physically stress-inducing play of the new DOOM game, or this embarassment. (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY MADE THIS DICKLESS QUASI-MALE COVER THIS GAME? THIS IS FOR GAMERS, AND IT HAS GUNS. GAMERS LOVE THAT SHIT, AND ITS GOT SO MUCH BETTER. WOOOWWW YOU CAN MANIPULATE A VIRTUAL GUN IN A WAY SO VERY CLOSE TO THE REAL THING! THATS AWESOME. IMAGINE THE GAMES THAT COULD USE THIS! WHY COULDN'T THEY GET SOMEONE WHO'S A LITTLE MORE EXCITED ABOUT THIS TECHNOLOGICAL MARVEL AND ITS ENDLESS POTENTIAL INSTEAD OF THIS COMPLETE EMBARASSMENT TO THE Y-CHROMOSOME?)

My theory is that these are people who wanted to go into serious journalism someday and didn't make the cut, and so ended up in videogame journalism. So when one friend says he's a doctor and the other says he's making a high five figures, the glorified videogame blogger looks like a failure, so to try feel like they're actually accomplishing something and not just eroding their audience's patience with needlessly emotive articles sprinkled with smug tones and middle-class white self-flagellation, they'll happily take the opportunity to make FUCKING POKÉMON a politically relevant race problem.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

I'd argue no, personally. I don't think that escapism can benefit from being politicised, especially when something it's something as innocuous, innocent, wholesome, and ideologically neutral as a virtual easter-egg hunt for Pokémon.
Uninvited and unwarranted soapboxing gets tiresome, especially when people check these so-called videogame news sites periodically. I like to think that they're bit more interested in whether or not the game is going to be patched for stability, or if Nintendo is going to confirm that they're going to expand the Pokémon selection before the year is out.

But, I don't think it's going to change any time soon. People writing about videogames for Gawker have not been subtle about how much they actually dislike videogames and videogame hobbyists, and they have repeatedly shown that they are very incompetent at both playing and analysing games, like the physically stress-inducing play of the new DOOM game, or this embarassment.

My theory is that these are people who wanted to go into serious journalism someday and didn't make the cut, and so ended up in videogame journalism. So when one friend says he's a doctor and the other says he's making a high five figures, the glorified videogame blogger looks like a failure, so to try feel like they're actually accomplishing something and not just eroding their audience's patience with needlessly emotive articles sprinkled with smug tones and middle-class white self-flagellation, they'll happily take the opportunity to make FUCKING POKÉMON a politically relevant race problem.

better version of that video :V

• Like 1

could you expand on this statement for me please? Specifically how it relates to the article

Pokemon GO is very popular atm, like a lot. Ergo everyone's spending a large chunk of their time talking about it and (obviously) playing it.

This is time not spent raging about social issues which is an unforgivable apparently. So we must twist things into being about them when they're completely unrelated, which is why this article exists.

3 hours ago, kazooie said:

that's true, but on the other hand, a police officer shot an unarmed social worker, who was lying on the ground with their hands in the air

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/miami-police-shooting-charles-kinsey-1.3688309

On the other other hand, a terrorist just shot multiple unarmed people at a mall in Munich.

7 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I suppose I should re-phrase

"Just because lots of things go on in the world, doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about specific things that go on"

For example, just because there's a lot of fucked up terrorism occurring doesn't make all of the weird instances of police discrimination in the US are less fucked up. And just because we should be looking for solutions for reducing the rate and impact terrorist attacks, doesn't mean we shouldn't also look to reform or improve other aspects of our society.

8 minutes ago, kazooie said:

just because there's a lot of fucked up terrorism occurring doesn't make all of the weird instances of police discrimination in the US are less fucked up.

Despite how horrid that most recent one was, at least the guy survived. I think there is a bit of objectivity on what is more fucked up though, in recent events.

(I think you'll need to drop the link through google translate)

14 minutes ago, kazooie said:

I suppose I should re-phrase

"Just because lots of things go on in the world, doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about specific things that go on"

For example, just because there's a lot of fucked up terrorism occurring doesn't make all of the weird instances of police discrimination in the US are less fucked up. And just because we should be looking for solutions for reducing the rate and impact terrorist attacks, doesn't mean we shouldn't also look to reform or improve other aspects of our society.

This is very true.

However my point is that these people CANNOT bare the thought that someone doesn't attention to their issue. It pisses them off to no end that any given discussion isn't exclusively about them and will shit all over everyone else because of it.

6 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

Despite how horrid that most recent one was, at least the guy survived. I think there is a bit of objectivity on what is more fucked up though.

Ok, but just because someone's running around cutting off other people's testicles doesn't make all of the weird instances of police discrimination in the US are less fucked up. And just because we should be looking for solutions for reducing the rate and impact of someone running around cutting off other people's testicles, doesn't mean we shouldn't also look to reform or improve other aspects of our society.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

However my point is that these people CANNOT bare the thought that someone doesn't attention to their issue. It pisses them off to no end that any given discussion isn't exclusively about them and will shit all over everyone else because of it.

yeah, insufferable attention vampires tend to be a scourge upon the internet

those who crave attention tend to bubble to the top of the internet not because they're numerous, but because they're willing to do unreasonable things in order to get heard. doing unreasonable things tends to be entertaining/interesting, thus giving them the attention they desire. it is a vicious cycle.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Troj said:

there was a LARGE group of people who decided to fish for magikarp at a cemetery and walk through the grounds looking for pokemon. they had to put a sign up just to get them to stop. it's kind of disturbing.

3 hours ago, Troj said:

i just think the real problem is that it too mutually creates a cause and effect instead of actually informing discussion. where we could be focusing on the core of the discussion and the nature of police brutality where it does logically exist, the addition of clickbait only serves to add a "good or evil" spin on ultimately irrelevant social devices. with gawker articles i've read, it often isn't centered around the forum of discussion, but rather submitted as a conclusion which must be obeyed. 

the article itself DOES make internally valid conclusions. but it is designed to move the goalposts of the pokemon go discussion away from what the current universal problem is. not unfairly, but effectively.

i think Pokemon GO's main flaw is that it encourages EVERYONE to act without any moral contravention about what they should do in the real world. I had a man approach me at midnight and try to tell me there was a Gengar near by even after telling him i didn't play (which was admittedly a lie). While I was aware of what pokemon was and therefore had no violent reaction, if a stranger comes up to you using foreign terms excitedly as you are trying to walk home in the middle of the night...you can put the rest together. 

I see Pokemon Go's problem, therefore, as one that it has created on its' own and is affecting all who play it. The article isn't wrong in the conclusion it makes, insomuch as it's trying to offer only one political statement instead of addressing the trend the game has created which is that a majority of the users are lacking basic social consciousness which keeps them safe.

that said, i can see the merits of taking a more extreme stance and pointing out how america's social discourse can project onto something like this far more negatively than other society. i just also see why people are so extremely quick to dismiss it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, evan said:

i think Pokemon GO's main flaw is that it encourages EVERYONE to act without any moral contravention about what they should do in the real world. I had a man approach me at midnight and try to tell me there was a Gengar near by even after telling him i didn't play (which was admittedly a lie). While I was aware of what pokemon was and therefore had no violent reaction, if a stranger comes up to you using foreign terms excitedly as you are trying to walk home in the middle of the night...you can put the rest together. 

you're a scrawny-ass nerd who obviously plays pokemon go. the player simply (correctly) identified you as one of their peoples.

an app that encourages scrawny-ass nerds to emerge, blinking, into the sunlight and interact with one another seems like an overall net force for good.

• Like 1

A bit OT: I wonder is sales of those devices that block smart phone and wi-fi signals have gone up...though not 'legal' to use, I can see where it would be fun. I saw a portable one that blocks an 80 foot radius, that looked awfully appealing...walk around, turn it on and off, like you were some kinda Grinch, who stole the Pokemon! Oooooh, the temptation. (though I think it cost about $600, so just an idle fantasy, as I could think of 1,000 others ways to spend that amount)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kazooie said:

you're a scrawny-ass nerd who obviously plays pokemon go. the player simply (correctly) identified you as one of their peoples.

an app that encourages scrawny-ass nerds to emerge, blinking, into the sunlight and interact with one another seems like an overall net force for good.

i'll make sure i uninstall the app and then buy a team mystic shirt, and pull the "teenage girl with nirvana shirt" method of classically thinking it was just a cool indie brand

• Like 2

10 hours ago, evan said:

i'll make sure i uninstall the app and then buy a team mystic shirt, and pull the "teenage girl with nirvana shirt" method of classically thinking it was just a cool indie brand

What were they if not that

13 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Pokemon GO is very popular atm, like a lot. Ergo everyone's spending a large chunk of their time talking about it and (obviously) playing it.

This is time not spent raging about social issues which is an unforgivable apparently. So we must twist things into being about them when they're completely unrelated, which is why this article exists.

Forgive me for not exactly knowing the name of this logical fallacy, but I believe you're subscribing to a "one track mind" belief where you are assuming people can only think about one thing at a time

I don't think the article wants people to stop thinking about Pokemon Go and start thinking about police brutality

I think it's very likely that a person can both enjoy Pokemon Go while also thinking about social issues. I think it would be very dangerous even if people were so distracted from issues such as police brutality by a videogame

• Like 1

What were they if not that

Forgive me for not exactly knowing the name of this logical fallacy, but I believe you're subscribing to a "one track mind" belief where you are assuming people can only think about one thing at a time

I don't think the article wants people to stop thinking about Pokemon Go and start thinking about police brutality

I think it's very likely that a person can both enjoy Pokemon Go while also thinking about social issues. I think it would be very dangerous even if people were so distracted from issues such as police brutality by a videogame

Its being the fat obnoxious bitch that stomps into the middle of fun to turn it into a platform for petty politics. Do you like being those overly political tits that like to politicize everything and everything?

Sure, there's a time and place for anything, but why oh why corrupt something so innocent and fresh and a way of bonding to turn heads towards a "THIS SHIT IS RACIST CUZ BLACKS WILL GET THE BLAT BLAT FO SNOOPIN ROUND NEIGHBORHOODZ" gig? So far the attacks and killings spawned from this game didnt seem to have race in mind soooooo, why be that person? Other than being a miserable heap of shit known as Kotaku.

Not everything should be spliced into a platform for politics. Not even Doom music.

37 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

"THIS SHIT IS RACIST CUZ BLACKS WILL GET THE BLAT BLAT FO SNOOPIN ROUND NEIGHBORHOODZ" gig?

I believe this is the second time I'll be asking someone in this thread to quote the article where it states "pokemon go is racist"

I also don't understand the equation of "writing an article that mentions how unfortunately unsafe certain activities are for black people vs. how safe white people are doing them" to "stomping into the middle of fun to turn it into a platform for petty politics"

This article isn't being forced on anyone who is playing the game. This article isn't requisite reading to play the game. This article isn't even posted on a pokemon / go related website. It's a thinkpiece that someone decided to write because they were playing the game and inspiration hit them, posted on a website where people talk about videogames and sometimes also social issues

like the fact that someone took the time to write their thoughts on race in america, framed by the game Pokemon Go, and posted it online is such a non issue

Is the article hurting you in any way. Is the article inconveniencing you in any way

Or is it that an article was written about how black people are not as safe performing actions that we as white people don't even think twice about doing that's making you uncomfortable

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Another Ampers& said:

I believe this is the second time I'll be asking someone in this thread to quote the article where it states "pokemon go is racist"

I also don't understand the equation of "writing an article that mentions how unfortunately unsafe certain activities are for black people vs. how safe white people are doing them" to "stomping into the middle of fun to turn it into a platform for petty politics"

This article isn't being forced on anyone who is playing the game. This article isn't requisite reading to play the game. This article isn't even posted on a pokemon / go related website. It's a thinkpiece that someone decided to write because they were playing the game and inspiration hit them, posted on a website where people talk about videogames and sometimes also social issues

like the fact that someone took the time to write their thoughts on race in america, framed by the game Pokemon Go, and posted it online is such a non issue

Is the article hurting you in any way. Is the article inconveniencing you in any way

Or is it that an article was written about how black people are not as safe performing actions that we as white people don't even think twice about doing that's making you uncomfortable

People tends to take things seriously.

Just because there is an article about it doesn't mean it's factual like how people strongly believes that there are wage gap between genders