Getting irrationally annoyed.

Red Lion

It's something that I'll admit, happens a lot. I don't have a lot of patience and if I run across something grating it's going to take about 10 seconds before it goes from kind of irritating to "holy balls if you don't knock it off I will crawl across this table and kill you." Today's example, fake lisping. I can't stand the vocal fry, valley girl, supper catty speech pattern as is, add an obviously faked lisp and you have a cocktail of grinding aggravation. I hate it when women do it, I hate it when men do it, I know for some reason a demographic of gay guys enjoy talking like that but it makes it really impossible for me to want to interact with them. I know that isn't what they really sound like, I can tell it's completely affected. It's on the same level as grown ass men and women speaking in baby talk, faking an accent really badly, or that awful fake voice box crying that a baby doll makes when you squeeze it (I have thrown those things against a wall in an effort to make them stop making that noise). I can't even really place why it pushes my buttons, it's not the artificiality, I am ok with artificiality on a certain level. Make-up, cross dressing, costumes, really convincing drag kings/queens, I actually really love all of those things, but when it's in the form of a sound it triggers this insanely pissed off response. Maybe it's the fact that it's usually exaggerated to such a ridiculous level that it seems like it's supposed to be a parody of something. But a parody of what? What is the lisping flamboyant guy parodying? All the signals he's sending me say that he's dead serious about this valley girl lisp thing and he's committed to trying to be...cute? Appealing? I guess?

Maybe that's why it bugs me, because I genuinely do not understand why he's doing it. I would assume he's trying to attract a mate, as many people are, by doing something he thinks makes him more appealing. Do people find that appealing? They must because this is something a lot of people in the gay community do. My animosity for this guy isn't really personal. I don't know him well enough for that, he even seems kind of friendly, I wish he'd quit saying "Yass bitch" in every other sentence.  As is I can't stand to be around him long enough to get to know him. That kind of sucks because I feel like I'm being really shallow. This is what this guy likes and part of his identity. I completely hate it but what can I do about it? Nothing, because he's not breaking any laws or hurting anybody, I have no reason to try and make him stop doing it just because it happens to be something I find incredibly annoying. All I can do is try to avoid him. I know that makes me look like an asshole but I have no idea what else to do. Not even being accused of homophobia is enough to make me want to try and tolerate his particular speech pattern. Every time I hear my friend is going to invite him into a group call with I find an excuse to leave. I can't listen to a vapid white chick use gangster slang and I can't listen to this guy. Unfortunately this is enough of a problem that it's hurt the guy's feelings and he thinks I'm a homophobic shallow asshole. I told my friend to just let him keep thinking that, I can't make a strong argument that I'm not a shallow jerk and the guy is probably better off thinking I'm not really worth talking to. 

I keep trying to be more tolerant about things like this, things that shouldn't really matter, but my lack of patience and general grumpiness make it really hard for me not to just scream at 2/3rds of humanity to get off my lawn.  

• Like 2

Yeah super flamey gay people annoy me too, it isn't you at all. What really annoys me is when people just stare at me for no reason. Like hey buddy spin those eyeballs round to something else you nosy cunt. What you think I'm cute or some shit? Didn't your mother teach you ita impolite to stare? I am gloriously terrible to be around in public

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrDingo said:

I really don't like it when people sing loudly around me

It's worse if I'm trying to sleep and someone in the bathroom sounds like they're trying out for the opera

Straight people who live with other straight people never have this problem. 

• Like 2

I hate when people play their music / tv / whatever loudly enough for it to invade my personal space.

Even if it's something that I like, put your goddamned headphones on, and keep your trash media noise to your fucking self.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vae said:

I hate when people play their music / tv / whatever loudly enough for it to invade my personal space.

Even if it's something that I like, put your goddamned headphones on, and keep your trash media noise to your fucking self.

This is prevalent on my campus. I like hip hop/rap instrumentals, though, so I still can't help but walk to the beat.

9 minutes ago, Proper noun said:

The sound of chewing drives me insane, i don't even want to eat because i can hear myself.

The moment I realized I hated everyone and everything came to me at the breakfast table one morning with my.mother. The noise of chewing became so intense that I had to leave.  I eat with loud music playing it solves this.nicely

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

Does anyone else get irrationally angry/annoyed whenever someone is cleaning the house  right next to you? 

Man, I hate clean houses. I wish people would just let me wallow in my own filth instead of making me uphold so-called "standards". That's why I get along so well with @Zerig.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Red Lion said:

Wow, never knew there were so many fellow haters of small things.

I also hate the chewing thing. I cannot listen to people eat.

I know what you mean, sometimes when someone eats and chews and smacks like a llama near me I get aggresive.

The sounds make me nervous.

I can do a, decent stereotypical gay voice. At least I think its decent.

I find it, funnyish, because most are surprised I can.

Also its pretty.....

FAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS!

Also I can get irrationally annoyed by dumb things, and I find its typically when its somebody whom I already have low or irritating expectations of. So they'll do something that really is fine, but I'll get annoyed for some reason.

I also get irrationally everything, not just annoyed.

• Like 1

On August 25, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Vae said:

The vibration of a tv through wall

I only get annoyed with things that other people do when my life is in a bad place. Otherwise, nothing other people do really bothers me, except for the obvious injustices that exist in the world.

I remember back when I was having some money problems, that I had to stay away from crowds. Literally everything people did around me irked me. I definitely was in a bad place. That's what I'd call being irrationally annoyed, haha. 

if it's someone i resent, then pretty much every sound they make irritates me like that.

other than that, can't really think of much of anything, unless you count "awkward silence", which seems to magnify every tiny little non-conversational noise and make it horribly unpleasant.  but, while certain ways of speaking (fake lisps and baby talk being prime examples) might make me think less of someone as "the kind of person who'd do that sort of thing", the sounds themselves don't really bug me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gator said:

if it's someone i resent, then pretty much every sound they make irritates me like that.

other than that, can't really think of much of anything, unless you count "awkward silence", which seems to magnify every tiny little non-conversational noise and make it horribly unpleasant.  but, while certain ways of speaking (fake lisps and baby talk being prime examples) might make me think less of someone as "the kind of person who'd do that sort of thing", the sounds themselves don't really bug me. 

Yup. I know that feel. 

One thing that also (irrationally)  irritates me when people do tasks and chores I was JUST about to begin to do and then they refuse to stop and instead say "Well you should have started earlier" 

Bitch please, if I am volunteering to do something, let me do it and let me do it on my own time, particularly when the whole thing is not in any kind of hurry to do

All this only makes me look like a lazy sloth when my intentions are not to be one and people condescend me for it

50 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

One thing that also (irrationally)  irritates me when people do tasks and chores I was JUST about to begin to do and then they refuse to stop and instead say "Well you should have started earlier" 

Bitch please, if I am volunteering to do something, let me do it and let me do it on my own time, particularly when the whole thing is not in any kind of hurry to do

All this only makes me look like a lazy sloth when my intentions are not to be one and people condescend me for it

My stepmom loved to do my chores for me-- not because I wasn't going to do them or because she loved cleaning or something. It was so that she could then tell my father how lazy and malbehaved I was. Also incompetent because she'd do my chores after I'd already done them, too, because they "weren't good enough". Apparently my eye cannot distinguish between all the shades of white she can, because there was allegedly always a slightly less white ring/streak in the bathtub I couldn't see.

On 8/29/2016 at 5:26 PM, Saxon said:

What does masc4masc mean?

Masculine for masculine. used to describe gay guys who only want masculine partners. 

As far as I know it carries a negative connotation of being a self-loathing homophobe type who hates more effeminate guys. 

Doesn't actually apply to me as I am not gay and my disdain for vocal fry, baby talk, affected lisping, cattiness, and valley girl type bitches isn't gender specific. 

• Like 1

@Butters *hits with news paper* Don't give me those eyebrows! It's well known that I'm some kind of grey area bi/pansexual queer!

Back on topic: The guy in question wouldn't be so bad if he didn't give off this massive "trying too hard" vibe. I actually did try to stick around for a conversation but after about ten minutes it became kind of obvious that he wasn't actually going to have a conversation, all he did was complain about his boyfriend and make hamfisted attempts to turn everything into a snarky/inappropriately sexual joke while gossiping about people I don't even know. Snark is an art and one that doesn't stand up to overuse, likewise sexual references ("that's what she said") are also most effective when used sparingly. Once or twice during a topic discussion is funny, more than 5 or 6 times is going to bore and annoy your audience. 

Being charming and witty is something that has to come naturally, it requires self-confidence and the ability to discern between appropriate levels of humorous quipping and obnoxious, douche-bag snark and this guy fails spectacularly. Sarcasm doesn't automatically imbue your speech with humor, misuse of sexual innuendos is not wit, and playing up your affected cuteness when it's an obvious act is a good way to make people think you're insecure and no sensible adult over the age of 24 is going to be charmed by highschool-esque, cheerleader-level cattiness.