Drug Encouragement Thread

Cingal

So, it's probably been about 18 months since I was first diagnosed with depression and stuff. It's always been a pretty big part of my life really. Not sure where it came from, just always been there, I suppose.

I won't go into all the emoy details of my depression, but, I'm sure it's a story you've all heard before, suicide, sadness and a pointless existence, you get the idea.

At first, I was very wary of Anti-depressants, I figured that if I couldn't solve it on my own, what was the point? If I was useless to the point of being unable to solve this on my own I suppose I deserved whatever was coming my way.

So, this went on for a few months, and gradually things got worse, eventually stuff happened and I finally decided to try SSRIs.

So, I was started on Setraline and handed a rather massive sheet of side affects which informed me all the creative ways I'd die, lose my hair, get fat and no longer feel sexual arousal.

Again, I froze for a bit, it was a few days before I finally decided to actually start on them, and frankly, it sucked. I was still depressed but now I was depressed and nauseous all the time. Regardless, I figured fuck it, if I'm going to be depression, why not feel physically awful too?

Then... Well, it just worked. I know it sounds a bit dumb, but, just rather suddenly, I didn't worry any more. I stopped being sad for no reason and instead felt happy. Very happy, it was amazing. I hadn't felt this way for as long as I could remember.

Anyway, that stopped after about a week, and a more normal "Well, okay, I'm sad sometimes, but, I'm more in control" took over.  And, that's basically continued. You have bad times and good times, but, I was never really sad in the same way again, it was never an all-encompassing sadness, from then on, it was just that a part of me was sad, but, the rest of me could do something, it could try and fix it, or at the very least, it could keep going until the sadness ended.

So, what I'm saying is, kids, do drugs. Or, at least try them as prescribed by your doctor.

• Like 11

My close ones and doctors have (in the past) recommended anti depressant DRUGS for me because I do have a tendency to get depressed. It is true, I do get depressed during hard times but the thing is, it has never managed to cripple me, at least for a long period of time. Never felt I had an urgent need for extra medication and I REALLY think any kind of drug is bad with all the side effects, addiction issues and whatnot. So I never took anti depressants. Saw them as something that would only point out my mental weakness and would cause more harm than good by mixing things up in my brain. 

But the thing is, this periodical depression has been going on for fucking 5 years. There are times when I am happy and content but most of the time in between is time I have been thinking "What the fuck am I doing with my life", "I must be such a failure", "I will never become what I wanted to be", "I am a fucking undisciplined cunt" "Nobody cares for me but myself". There were even times when I really wanted to kill myself with the most common methods being jumping off the balcony of a high building or letting myself be hit by a speeding car/train. But I never even attempted those. No, I am more perseverant than that, I try to get back up, fail and the cycle repeats endlessly. 

I've had my own ways of coping with harsh life, and most of it is me shifting myself and my activity online. Posting in a small furry forum is one way of coping. I am addicted. But what if I could feel happiness, be motivated to try harder and not let the echoing grim thoughts discourage me? I might need help, I wish it wouldn't come in the form of a colorful pill but ultimately, that might be exactly what I need, even if I don't like "being helped", especially by something that tinkers with my very own self being. My own mind. The thought of loosing control of your rational self frightens me. 

But Cingal's post gave me some valuable insight. Maybe it's not that bad. Maybe I still get to be master of myself and ultimately get an even better control over myself over time. 

I will remain adamant that (narcotic) drugs are bad but if I really one to get my life back together, to have them recommended by certified and prestigious  doctors then I just might bend, change my mind and DO drugs

Thank you

• Like 1

I ordered a pack of 60 multivitamin pills because I don't get any good stuff in my diet

apparently multivitamins cause dizziness or heart palpitations in some people
that will be how i get my high from now on

glad your brain is addled with mind-altering chemicals for the better

3 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

I ordered a pack of 60 multivitamin pills because I don't get any good stuff in my diet

apparently multivitamins cause dizziness or heart palpitations in some people
that will be how i get my high from now on

glad your brain is addled with mind-altering chemicals for the better

Should we expect Gibbs to have a legendary six pack by the end of the summer?

7 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

My close ones and doctors have (in the past) recommended anti depressant DRUGS for me because I do have a tendency to get depressed. It is true, I do get depressed during hard times but the thing is, it has never managed to cripple me, at least for a long period of time. Never felt I had an urgent need for extra medication and I REALLY think any kind of drug is bad with all the side effects, addiction issues and whatnot. So I never took anti depressants. Saw them as something that would only point out my mental weakness and would cause more harm than good by mixing things up in my brain. 

But the thing is, this periodical depression has been going on for fucking 5 years. There are times when I am happy and content but most of the time in between is time I have been thinking "What the fuck am I doing with my life", "I must be such a failure", "I will never become what I wanted to be", "I am a fucking undisciplined cunt" "Nobody cares for me but myself". There were even times when I really wanted to kill myself with the most common methods being jumping off the balcony of a high building or letting myself be hit by a speeding car/train. But I never even attempted those. No, I am more perseverant than that, I try to get back up, fail and the cycle repeats endlessly. 

I've had my own ways of coping with harsh life, and most of it is me shifting myself and my activity online. Posting in a small furry forum is one way of coping. I am addicted. But what if I could feel happiness, be motivated to try harder and not let the echoing grim thoughts discourage me? I might need help, I wish it wouldn't come in the form of a colorful pill but ultimately, that might be exactly what I need, even if I don't like "being helped", especially by something that tinkers with my very own self being. My own mind. The thought of loosing control of your rational self frightens me. 

But Cingal's post gave me some valuable insight. Maybe it's not that bad. Maybe I still get to be master of myself and ultimately get an even better control over myself over time. 

I will remain adamant that (narcotic) drugs are bad but if I really one to get my life back together, to have them recommended by certified and prestigious  doctors then I just might bend, change my mind and DO drugs

Thank you

The only way I see stopping depression if suicide becomes seemingly becomes an only option is serotonin boosters.

If I'm right, more Serotonin = more happiness unless you already do that.

Don't quote me on this though, I could be wrong. Just some advice I hope you guys look into.

3 minutes ago, Glowing Glass said:

The only way I see stopping depression if suicide becomes seemingly becomes an only option is serotonin boosters.

If I'm right, more Serotonin = more happiness unless you already do that.

Don't quote me on this though, I could be wrong. Just some advice I hope you guys look into.

to a point yes. but if I'm not mistaken, there's a point where too much serotonin is unhealthy

• Like 4

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

I used to have a similar mindset. For the longest time used to feel like I was some kind of freak or mental case if I had to rely on pills to be able to properly function, so I'd throw away whatever pills I was prescribed.

Suffice to say that was the second biggest regret of my life.

Oh pastry :c

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cingal said:

I won't go into all the emoy details of my depression, but, I'm sure it's a story you've all heard before, suicide, sadness and a pointless existence, you get the idea.

How're you still here if that occurred?

Plot hole!

Or were you resurrected?

In all honesty I put a lot of trust in doctors/medical professionals and what they prescribe. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Plot hole!

Or were you resurrected?

In all honesty I put a lot of trust in doctors/medical professionals and what they prescribe. 

Do not trust doctors. 

Too much trust and some doctors will abuse their power to milk you of every penny they can.

Unless your country has free healthcare, then you can probably trust them. Always find out what you want and ask them to prescribe it for you because if not, a lot of things can go wrong and the doctor won't care. ~From a person that works with doctors.

• Like 1

Thought this thread was about REAL drugs and not that placebo crap. If shoving pills into your face because they are told to be good helped you, great job! Just remember to be able to reclaim your life without them, don't end up like grandpa 90 pills before breakfast. My route through "depression" was a little different, since much of my actual diagnosis occurred in the mid 90s where everyone was depressed or add or some shit. Those pills they gave out did nothing beneficial for me, so I really give them no credence personally. I found I had to change my outlook and attitude on life, as well as my own environment. I had to reclaim my life back piece by piece. It only took 23 years. But you can have nasty pills, I don't need em, anyway congrats?

22 minutes ago, Azure said:

Thought this thread was about REAL drugs and not that placebo crap. If shoving pills into your face because they are told to be good helped you, great job! Just remember to be able to reclaim your life without them, don't end up like grandpa 90 pills before breakfast. My route through "depression" was a little different, since much of my actual diagnosis occurred in the mid 90s where everyone was depressed or add or some shit. Those pills they gave out did nothing beneficial for me, so I really give them no credence personally. I found I had to change my outlook and attitude on life, as well as my own environment. I had to reclaim my life back piece by piece. It only took 23 years. But you can have nasty pills, I don't need em, anyway congrats?

This is applicable to some situations, but not all of them.
I have a literal chemical regulation problem in my brain. I need chemicals to make my brain stop being stupid about that.
No amount of "No no, yogas and health smoothies, man" and "No bruh, hit the mad ganjas" and "Why don't you just take your depression... and move it someplace else?" is ever going to fix that, completely, in its entirety.

I've been at my highest and felt at my lowest.
Life improvements do not stop you from waking up in a cold sweat and hyperventilating and hallucinating 5 hours through the night.

It's unfortunate that your experience with medication did not help you, but this is not applicable to everyone. It's also a possibility that you weren't on the right stuff (I was on depakote for a few years, and literally all it did was make me sleep all damn day), but that takes patience and experimentation, and willingness to stand up to your doctor and tell them "This isn't working. I want to try something different."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vae said:

This is applicable to some situations, but not all of them.
I have a literal chemical regulation problem in my brain. I need chemicals to make my brain stop being stupid about that.
No amount of "No no, yogas and health smoothies, man" and "No bruh, hit the mad ganjas" and "Why don't you just take your depression... and move it someplace else?" is ever going to fix that, completely, in its entirety.

I've been at my highest and felt at my lowest.
It's unfortunate that your experience with medication did not help you, but this is not applicable to everyone. It's also a possibility that you weren't on the right stuff (I was on depakote for a few years, and literally all it did was make me sleep all damn day), but that takes patience and experimentation, and willingness to stand up to your doctor and tell them "This isn't working."

This is of course a personal story, naturally it wouldn't work for everyone, nor do I advocate such. And believe me I went through a whole dictionary of pills, they were all jokes. I truly wonder how many of them were even real. Also bear in mind that this was a period of time where Healthcare wasn't so much for the child but the parents peace of mind. Many of the motifs use in the advertising were always about noisy kids being too loud how dare they must not be doing there homework here mom shove these in their face and they'll calm right down except Ritalin is fucking METH with a slight chemical difference. Pardon my distrust of most psychiatric practitioners, I was force fed amphetamines lite for years against my will.

• Like 1

I think LSD could probably have some really good medical usage in low dosages, especially when combined with hypnotherpay because it makes it scary effective.

Honestly I never much believed in perscription meds even though they help alot of people.... I always figured my problems were different, I wish i could just pop a pill and take it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

What is dead may never die.

5 hours ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I do miss my sex drive. I don't even take Sertraline any more. I think it scared my sex drive away forever.

I kinda had the opposite experience, honestly.

Depression killed any drive I had, when I first started taking Setraline, I had more difficulty with it, but, after a while that's just gone and I'm back to more or less normal now. It seems I got lucky.

Also, thanks to everyone who's giving me kind words and shit. I know I'm not really the most heart-to-heart kinda guy, but, I do really appreciate it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cingal said:

Also, thanks to everyone who's giving me kind words and shit. I know I'm not really the most heart-to-heart kinda guy, but, I do really appreciate it.

real talk, my girlfriend got on SSRIs while we were dating and the difference was like night and day. I went from contemplating breaking up with her to pretty convinced that im gonna ask her to marry me sometime this year. She's so much happier now too. I'm glad you had a similarly positive experience.

1 hour ago, Johanna Waya said:

I think LSD could probably have some really good medical usage in low dosages, especially when combined with hypnotherpay because it makes it scary effective.

Honestly I never much believed in perscription meds even though they help alot of people.... I always figured my problems were different, I wish i could just pop a pill and take it.

Micro-dosing LSD and psilocybe mushrooms has shown great benefit for people with depression, anxiety, memory loss/Alzheimers and even repair damaged brain cells..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willow said:

to a point yes. but if I'm not mistaken, there's a point where too much serotonin is unhealthy

yes serotonin toxicity is deadly and many people had died a horrible death from it, by mixing serotonin inhibitors with serotonin boosters.

I, myself, don't believe in this brain chemistry talk at all, our conscious must be controlled in much more complicated way imo. I never had depression, nor do I know anyone who did, but I think depression might be just telling your heart wants something else.

19 minutes ago, grassfed said:

Micro-dosing LSD and psilocybe mushrooms has shown great benefit for people with depression, anxiety, memory loss/Alzheimers and even repair damaged brain cells..

Citation needed.

yes serotonin toxicity is deadly and many people had died a horrible death from it, by mixing serotonin inhibitors with serotonin boosters.

I, myself, don't believe in this brain chemistry talk at all, our conscious must be controlled in much more complicated way imo. I never had depression, nor do I know anyone who did, but I think depression might be just telling your heart wants something else.

I am not sure what I find more confusing...that you apparently don't believe in Brain chemistry or your reason, which is that you apparently believe that chemical systems are 'too simple'.

Biochemical processes are inordinately, unnecessarily and unfathomably complicated.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Johanna Waya said:

Everyone does, any maybe part of your problems are different. But maybe not. 

10 minutes ago, PurpleTail said:

Sadness and longing exists, but depression is neither of those things, nor is it something that new experiences are likely to change. For those that do have it, controlled medication does a great deal of good. For some, medication is only needed temporarily to allow for the brain to be retrained, but some require it over a long term in order to properly function.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

Sadness and longing exists, but depression is neither of those things, nor is it something that new experiences are likely to change. For those that do have it, controlled medication does a great deal of good. For some, medication is only needed temporarily to allow for the brain to be retrained, but some require it over a long term in order to properly function.

idk this is strange. Hmm but if there are people who are constantly depressed then there must be people who are constantly happy no matter what's happening around. Are you aware of a such condition?

2 minutes ago, PurpleTail said:

idk this is strange. Hmm but if there are people who are constantly depressed then there must be people who are constantly happy no matter what's happening around. Are you aware of a such condition?

It's called mania, and people who experience it can feel either persistent euphoria or inexplicable constant unjustified anger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PurpleTail said:

Depression =/= sadness.

People with mania often appear quite happy but it is merely superficial.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saxon said:

It is not as though every existing medical condition must have an equal and opposite counterpart in order to be recognised a a genuine condition anyway.

That sounds like it would be some homeopathy BS. You could probably work that out starting with the 'law of similars.'

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saxon said:

It is not as though every existing medical condition must have an equal and opposite counterpart in order to be recognised a a genuine condition anyway.

tbh it would be strange if the nature allowed such imbalances to occur.

20 minutes ago, Johanna Waya said:

It blows my mind some people are still ignorant to even basic depression...

My goodness do you live in a mansion where servants shelter you from the horrors of the world @PurpleTail?

No, but I try to concentrate on positive things instead of negatives, so that might be a reason why I never heard about almost any mental illness before joining the furry fandom. I knew people get sad and commit suicides though.

2 hours ago, MuttButt said:

you guys are a bunch of junkies, drugs r 4 squares

yeah guys trust this man hes straightedge AF

6 minutes ago, PurpleTail said:

No, but I try to concentrate on positive things instead of negatives, so that might be a reason why I never heard about almost any mental illness before joining the furry fandom. I knew people get sad and commit suicides though.

So in other words you do live in a self-made mansion? Thats a little ignorant, no offense...

Pick up a biology, psychology, history, or sociology book sometimes buddy. Being knowledgable is not the same as focusing on negatives, people are hurting everyday and it is not their fault, we learn things so we can turn our situations positive

...and also nature almost always has flukes and imbalances occur every day, we have hospitals and medical science for a reason.

2 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

So in other words you do live in a self-made mansion? Thats a little ignorant, no offense...

Pick up a biology, psycholohy, history, or sociology book sometimes buddy. Being knowledgable is not the same as focusing on negatives, people are hurting everyday and it is not their fault, we learn things so we can turn our situations positive

And what would I learn? That there are people who are not totally right in their heads and no one really knows why? Oh and I better start worrying about getting schizophrenia because it usually starts at early adulthood.

Just now, PurpleTail said:

And what would I learn? That there are people who are not totally right in their heads and no one really knows why? Oh and I better start worrying about getting schizophrenia because it usually starts at early adulthood.

IDK man its called empathy, instead of walking into a crowd of people who are hurting and telling them their problems are made-up, you can learn to understand others, its how you make friends and companions, its like what if you were hurt and nobody gave a fuck? Add further insult to injury and have them tell you youre not actually in pain. 

Also we do know why hence the point of science and research in the fields I've listed

Your choice, I wont argue further, just saying.

19 minutes ago, PurpleTail said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

10 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

IDK man its called empathy, instead of walking into a crowd of people who are hurting and telling them their problems are made-up, you can learn to understand others, its how you make friends and companions, its like what if you were hurt and nobody gave a fuck? Add further insult to injury and have them tell you youre not actually in pain. 

Also we do know why hence the point of science and research in the fields I've listed

Your choice, I wont argue further, just saying.

I don't think any book could explain to me what's is like to be mentally ill. It's like explaining a born blind person what sights is. You just have to experience it yourself.

21 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I mean for a far left there has to be a far right, otherwise the whole system would collapse, if that makes any sense.