A Spider BIt me, and it's not that ....bad?

Punnchy

Had a really nasty nasty bite me on Monday, first time in probably 5 years or so that I've gotten more then a chigger, mosquito, or flea bite. Anyway, the odd part is, when I went to the clinic, I was told it was possibly a brown recluse bite.

This is very weird and scary news to me, because the chances of a spider bite being this source are 1 in 4000 and there would be nercoppathy of my skin, which hasn't occurred nearly a week later. 1 missed day of work, 4 medications regime and a shot later, I'm able to have the wound uncovered and  the infected area is down to the size of a dime with minor itching.

So I have to wonder if the bite wasn't what they where thinking it was, or if I'm just a really good healer? What's your takes on bites in general?

Looking up pictures of brown recluse bites, I happen to have had something very similar pop up on my ankle one morning when I was younger. I don't remember being outright told what it was, but I did suspect it was a spider bite. I guess it was.

Now that I think of it, it looked a lot more disturbing than it actually was. It never really hurt all that much and it ended up healing for the most part. You probably have nothing to worry about.

I have scars starting from the knuckle of my right pinky, all the way up to my elbow. I was bitten by a Whitetail Spider 6 years ago. My skin was eaten away down to the third layer and was spreading up my arm. I was lucky enough to have identified the spider instantly and got to a hospital for antivenom. I could have lost my arm. I will forever have reoccurring wounds appear on my body every year around the month I was bitten. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GemWolf said:

I have scars starting from the knuckle of my right pinky, all the way up to my elbow. I was bitten by a Whitetail Spider 6 years ago. My skin was eaten away down to the third layer and was spreading up my arm. I was lucky enough to have identified the spider instantly and got to a hospital for antivenom. I could have lost my arm. I will forever have reoccurring wounds appear on my body every year around the month I was bitten. 

That sounds fucking scary.

The thing that bothers me, is that if this was supposed to be a big ass bad ass bite, then why am I not in tons more pain, and why doesn't it look like I'm about to loose several inches of skin? It's so weird to me.

20 minutes ago, Punnchy said:

The thing that bothers me, is that if this was supposed to be a big ass bad ass bite, then why am I not in tons more pain, and why doesn't it look like I'm about to loose several inches of skin? It's so weird to me.

They didn't know for sure what the spider actually was that bit you. There are thousands of difference types of venom. Chances are it wasn't the spider they "think" it was. 

Number 1 rule with any spider bite: if you don't experience severe pain within 10 minutes, then it's not dangerous. 

According to you it's been a week? So don't stress about it, they got the species wrong. Life goes on :) 

24 minutes ago, Punnchy said:

Because you are the chosen one.

You have the mark.

Now go fulfill your destiny!

• Like 2

Assuming it was a brown recluse, GJ, that's why you should go to the doc to have it treated before the limb falls off.

It's also possible it wasn't a Brownie, but just a spooderbro that was brown. People tend to expect the worst with these and in the heat of the moment a proper ID of a bugman can be a bit difficult

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GemWolf said:

Fucking Australia!

• Like 3

Brown recluse spiders are pretty shy. And since venom is so biologically expensive to make, they can actually meter their bites. It knows you aren't prey, so if you're lucky you got a partial dose. Plenty of spider bites are actually dry.

I have a scar on my side from a suspected brown recluse bite. (They can never be sure unless you bring the spider in) It looked bad, but it healed up just fine. It's all about treatment, how your body deals with it, and how the spider felt about you.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DevilBear said:

Brown recluse spiders are pretty shy. And since venom is so biologically expensive to make, they can actually meter their bites. It knows you aren't prey, so if you're lucky you got a partial dose. Plenty of spider bites are actually dry.

I have a scar on my side from a suspected brown recluse bite. (They can never be sure unless you bring the spider in) It looked bad, but it healed up just fine. It's all about treatment, how your body deals with it, and how the spider felt about you.

That makes a bit more sense. I don't recall killing the thing, more of sending it sailing off my arm when I noticed movement on it during the task I was on at work. The task happened to be moving a box onto the table to sort/price/trash it's contents.

15 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

It's also possible it wasn't a Brownie, but just a spooderbro that was brown. People tend to expect the worst with these and in the heat of the moment a proper ID of a bugman can be a bit difficult

I thought I was the only person to call spiders spiderbros. This is great.

Seriously spiders are absolutely amazing critters. Most of them are super chill too. Black widows are among the most feared, but if you touch one, it'll curl into a ball and play dead. They aren't cold blooded killers. They're fucking terrified little buddies who just want to eat moths and build webs. Webs with a tensile strength greater than kevlar. Hell, you could safely let one crawl across your hand if you feel so inclined. They only bite if they really, really have to. Even then, they won't kill you- they'll just make you wish you were dead.

I'm pretty big on karma these days. If I see a spider in my house, I try to either let it be or move it outside if at all possible. Spiders do so much good for us, yet we just crush them like they're nothing.

I mean it's not like they're wasps or anything.

• Like 3

I've never actually been bitten by a spider. I don't think I've ever made it feel the need to, I kinda just let it do its own thing and they don't see all that aggressive. Every other god damn insect seems to bite me at my computer though.So spiders>everything. :V

I'm glad to hear you recovered so well, I can imagine how terrifying that can be.

• Like 1

I would post the bites of brown recluse spiders that live in the southern United States but I don't want to get banned for posting pictures of rotting flesh. 

9 hours ago, Revates said:

I've never actually been bitten by a spider. I don't think I've ever made it feel the need to, I kinda just let it do its own thing and they don't see all that aggressive. Every other god damn insect seems to bite me at my computer though.So spiders>everything. :V

I'm glad to hear you recovered so well, I can imagine how terrifying that can be.

Considering that you live in Aussie, a spider bite is probably a death sentence. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DevilBear said:

I thought I was the only person to call spiders spiderbros. This is great.

Seriously spiders are absolutely amazing critters. Most of them are super chill too. Black widows are among the most feared, but if you touch one, it'll curl into a ball and play dead. They aren't cold blooded killers. They're fucking terrified little buddies who just want to eat moths and build webs. Webs with a tensile strength greater than kevlar. Hell, you could safely let one crawl across your hand if you feel so inclined. They only bite if they really, really have to. Even then, they won't kill you- they'll just make you wish you were dead.

I'm pretty big on karma these days. If I see a spider in my house, I try to either let it be or move it outside if at all possible. Spiders do so much good for us, yet we just crush them like they're nothing.

I mean it's not like they're wasps or anything.

Wolf and Huntsman spiders make the best spiderbro's since they are harmless to humans and eat other spiders, which is convenient if you live in Australia.

They make fun pets to have as a kid too.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

It takes balls of steel and cold nerves to live in a land where every insect and animal are trying to kill you should you get close to them

It's nice to know that you want me dead. Sorry to disappoint you, but animals in Australia are not like that at all. You don't know much about the country, you are going by stories and bs stereotype. 

I'm actually very close to all the insects/animals in Australia (excluding bees and wasps) and will go out of my way to spare any life regardless if its venomous or not. 

I don't blame the spider for biting me. It felt the need to defend itself. I felt the need to defend my baby which is why I got bitten. 

Australia is a beautiful country, I'm proud to be Australian.  

Edited by GemWolf

@GemWolf

I am still glad to live at the opposite end of the globe no matter how you are trying to sugarcoat your local fauna, whether the stereotypes are true or not

If you've learned to cope with the local fauna, then I guess it's good for your sake. Not my cup of tea, and never will be to take local venomous animals into account when doing mundane things like sitting on a toilet to shit. You live in Australia (and we're probably born there too) so you take these considerations as granted. I am saying this from the perspective of a foreigner. The most dangerous animal here is probably a brown bear or a striped viper and compared to, say, a green mamba snake they're barely dangerous. To be honest, that's enough for me. 

Take the perspective of others into account. Not everyone wants to deal with same things as you do. And I am not trying to say your country is the worst. Pretty sure there are many things worth checking out there but the presence of tiny dangerous creatures (such as venomous widow spiders) are not one of them and in fact deters me from ever entering your country (boy would enjoy that) 

Sorry to disappoint you, but animals in Australia are not like that at all. You don't know much about the country, you are going by stories and bs stereotype. 

I should probably check my facts again but you didn't provide any evidence and instead are going  by the assumption that I know nothing

don't blame the spider for biting me. It felt the need to defend itself. I felt the need to defend my baby which is why I got bitten. 

I like animals too and avoid needless death so let me ask you this; Did I ever imply one should squash every spider they see? 

It's nice to know that you want me dead

Care to elaborate what makes you think that? 

10 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

@GemWolf

I am still glad to live at the opposite end of the globe no matter how you are trying to sugarcoat your local fauna, whether the stereotypes are true or not

If you've learned to cope with the local fauna, then I guess it's good for your sake. Not my cup of tea, and never will be to take local venomous animals into account when doing mundane things like sitting on a toilet to shit. You live in Australia (and we're probably born there too) so you take these considerations as granted. I am saying this from the perspective of a foreigner. The most dangerous animal here is probably a brown bear or a striped viper and compared to, say, a green mamba snake they're barely dangerous. To be honest, that's enough for me. 

Take the perspective of others into account. Not everyone wants to deal with same things as you do. And I am not trying to say your country is the worst. Pretty sure there are many things worth checking out there but the presence of tiny dangerous creatures (such as venomous widow spiders) are not one of them and in fact deters me from ever entering your country (boy would enjoy that) 

I should probably check my facts again but you didn't provide any evidence and instead are going  by the assumption that I know nothing

I like animals too and avoid needless death so let me ask you this; Did I ever imply one should squash every spider they see? 

Care to elaborate what makes you think that? 

I don't need to check my toilet seat before I use it. You are thinking of the outback. I live in a city! 

It does not need to be your cup of tea, but don't bad mouth my country just because it scares you. Poor whittle fella *pats pats* 

I said you know nothing based on what you said. I didn't assume. It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. 

you mentioned I should get close to them right after saying that they "try to kill everyone" sounds like you want them to kill me. 

1 hour ago, GemWolf said:

It's nice to know that you want me dead. Sorry to disappoint you, but animals in Australia are not like that at all. You don't know much about the country, you are going by stories and bs stereotype. 

I'm actually very close to all the insects/animals in Australia (excluding bees and wasps) and will go out of my way to spare any life regardless if its venomous or not. 

I don't blame the spider for biting me. It felt the need to defend itself. I felt the need to defend my baby which is why I got bitten. 

Australia is a beautiful country, I'm proud to be Australian.  

26 minutes ago, GemWolf said:

I don't need to check my toilet seat before I use it. You are thinking of the outback. I live in a city! 

It does not need to be your cup of tea, but don't bad mouth my country just because it scares you. Poor whittle fella *pats pats* 

I said you know nothing based on what you said. I didn't assume. It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. 

you mentioned I should get close to them right after saying that they "try to kill everyone" sounds like you want them to kill me. 

Quit sperging about a silly hyperbole stereotype with all this condescending urban poofery, it's just a joke based on the fact that Australia has more dangerous animals than its' friends in the Northern Hemisphere.

Because not everyone has to check their boots for snakes and creepy crawlies every morning before putting them on.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GemWolf said:

trying to kill you should you get close to them

You misread that bit. He said "Should you get close to them" as in "they would kill you IF you got too close".  He didn't actually say "you should get close to them"

• Like 2

I live in Sydney, the only region of the world to get the Sydney funnel web spider and I can confirm that even we in this area do not live in fear. We just play on it to fuck with you guys and look badass, because we already are but this helps our image a little further. :P

Honestly though, I'm more scared of white tails than funnel webs for reasons that Gemwolf said. Even though the funnel web has the deadliest venom in the world, I don;t think there have actually been any fatalities in years. Still plenty of stories about people losing body parts to white tail bites though. Summer is on its way and I'm expecting the usual influx of spiders wandering around the area looking for fuck buddies pretty soon. If I can amass enough pictures of the bastards I'll put them in a thread and you can all admire their deadly beauty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlynnCoyote said:

If I can amass enough pictures of the bastards I'll put them in a thread and you can all admire their deadly beauty.

Hell yeah I'm up for that! I can get plenty of pics to add to that thread!. I'm in Brisbane, and yes summer brings them all out. 

Oh and just cause I can ....behold, the white tail spider! 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

One thing I learned during my venture over in Australia is that if the wildlife don't kill you first the locals will. I got a real Wolf Creek vibe...

If you treated people the same way you treat me then it's not hard to see why!

It wasn't Australia mate, it was you! 

Good news everyone! I went back to the doctor on monday, midshift paid (yay) and was told they don't need to see me again and to finish the medicines, otherwise I have a clean bill of health, and possibly no scaring. We agreed that some stretch marks in the area of my arm I was bitten could have helped absorb the bite so that it didn't eat deeper into me.

• Like 1