2017 looks like a Golden Age of video games

TrishaCat

Seriously, there's loads of great video games coming out next year that its almost insane.

First and above all else, the lord and savior of video games Nier Automata, a game that will be of such quality that no human will ever be able to replicate its quality, is getting a release in February. While that's the date for its Japanese release, its highly likely that its Western release isn't far behind.

Funded by Microsoft, Platinum Games other game, which looks to be a more adventurous, dragon-filled action game, Scalebound, gets its release next year.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 is releasing on January 12, which, due to 0.2: A Fragmentary Passage, will give BBS fans the chance to play as worst girl again, and, due to the re-release of DDD, will be the first KH game to be 60FPS. And after 11 years since KHII, Kingdom Hearts III is finally getting a release.

Square's other big re-release, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, an updated HD re-release of arguably the best Final Fantasy game (but now with prettier music) comes out next year. 

The indie game Cuphead and the indie game Freedom Planet 2 (sequel to the 2014 GOTY) are both coming out sometime mid-2017, with the latter game having updated spritework and a much more Sonic-like soundtrack.

Speaking of Sonic, Sonic Mania, which looks like the literal second coming of Sonic CD, comes out next year, and along with it, Sonic Team's newest "Project Sonic" comes out then as well.

Tales of Berseria, which is looking to be like the best Tales game in a long time (and in my opinion the most interesting Tales game ever), is coming out January 24. 

Sony's Gravity Rush 2, sequel to the jazzy anime ARPG on the Vita, is also coming out in January of next year.

Ys developer Falcom's Tokyo Xanadu, which looks to be somewhere between Persona and Kingdom Hearts in terms of gameplay, is getting a release.

Disgaea 2 is getting an updated re-release on PC January 30.

Atlus' biggest game yet and sequel to the overwhelmingly popular Persona 4, Persona 5, gets its Western release February 14. Finally they can stop milking P4 and move on.

Capcom's P.T.-like first person horror-oriented Resident Evil, Resident Evil 7, comes out January 24.

Being the first truly open world Zelda, with the help of MonolithSoft in its development, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild comes out sometime next year. 

Speaking of Zelda, Nintendo's newest Zelda-like IP Ever Oasis also comes out next year. And this game has LIZARD GIRLS.

Spiritual successor to the Banjo games, with several old Rareware developers on the team, Yooka-Laylee is getting a release next year.

The first mainline Danganronpa game to not be originally developed on PSP, and the first Danganronpa game in the rebooted universe, Danganronpa V3 comes out next year.

Doesn't next year look amazing? Did I miss anything else that also looks great? Seriously, I don't think there's ever been a year of releases that looked this great in a very, VERY long time.

• Like 1

Things can always look amazing but then end up crap, even if they're not crap if you hype stuff up too much you will be disappointed anyways even if it still is good. Also the last couple years haven't really been bad. None of what you listed would seem like it would make next year a "golden age".

I dislike the hype machine the gaming industry tries to make everyone fall into, but I also have never hated a perfectly fine game because of ridiculous expectations the marketing for a game gave it.

2 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

Things can always look amazing but then end up crap, even if they're not crap if you hype stuff up too much you will be disappointed anyways even if it still is good. Also the last couple years haven't really been bad. None of what you listed would seem like it would make next year a "golden age".

I dislike the hype machine the gaming industry tries to make everyone fall into, but I also have never hated a perfectly fine game because of ridiculous expectations the marketing for a game gave it.

While this is true, there are times where a game is hyped up and then it actually delivers, and it feels really good when something you hype up winds up being everything you wanted. I felt this way about Freedom Planet and Undertale before their releases. Not that it isn't unwise to hype up things, but just that its REALLY satisfying when you look forward to something and everything works out.

1 hour ago, SirRob said:

There's also the NX, which is sure to release with amazing games such as--

New Super Mario Bros NX

Wii Vacuum Cleaning

and nothing else

Zelda as a launch title is honestly going to be the fucking shit.

---

Also Sonic Mania. I'm bouncing off the fucking walls for that.

15 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

That's not how you spell Half-Life.

1470556463589.jpg

I'm sorry, but I REALLY don't like Half-Life games. As far as shooters go there are loads of games I enjoy more. The first game is really archaic and the 2nd game...Well, honestly I just don't see what's special about it. The level design is good and the story seems good, but most of the time it just feels like a generic shooter. As far as shooters go, there are plenty of better games that are more interesting mechanically.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

1470556463589.jpg

Hide contents

I'm sorry, but I REALLY don't like Half-Life games. As far as shooters go there are loads of games I enjoy more. The first game is really archaic and the 2nd game...Well, honestly I just don't see what's special about it. The level design is good and the story seems good, but most of the time it just feels like a generic shooter. As far as shooters go, there are plenty of better games.

Half Life is one of those "great at the time but severely outclassed 10-15 years later". If you played it during it's peak, you'd understand and respect it. A LOT of storytelling techniques and level design is owed to Half Life, but it's not quite something that's a hallmark in gameplay today.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cannakitty said:

Absolutely no freaking way. I'm sure there is going to be plenty of games worth playing in 2017 but be real. If anything we're already in the golden age of modern gaming. The number of stellar games that have already been released and are on the horizon is just astonishing.

True, but I think Chili means the typical "AAA" titles. The things you would usually see hyped up at TGS, PAX, E3, CC, etc.

Great new games and their sequels ahead while 90% of my Steam library remains untouched

I am excited for Civ 6 though which will be initially launched during this year and the next year we have some DLC in (I'm hoping Civ 6 will be a complete game without requiring DLC which is what happened with Civ 5)

7 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

How the fuck is Tales of Berseria AAA title?

Yeah because that's the only game he mentioned.

Besides, pretty much any shit tier game like Berseria funded by a large publisher with a sizeable team can be considered AAA even if it's not Destiny level bloated. That's why I used quotes. It's a super loose and ambiguous term in a lot of instances today. 

7 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

How the fuck is Tales of Berseria AAA title?

It wasn't really my intention to talk about AAA games specifically, but.....Some of the games I mentioned were indie games and handheld games, so how come for your example you chose Bamco's biggest non-Souls title? Unless....Would Ace Combat 7 be considered bigger than Tales of? I know that's on the horizon from them too.

16 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

It wasn't really my intention to talk about AAA games specifically, but.....Some of the games I mentioned were indie games and handheld games, so how come for your example you chose Bamco's biggest non-Souls title? Unless....Would Ace Combat 7 be considered bigger than Tales of? I know that's on the horizon from them too.

I think Ace Combat at the very least has a bigger budget. It used to be super popular but no one cares about flying games anymore. :c

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

so how come for your example you chose Bamco's biggest non-Souls title? Unless....Would Ace Combat 7 be considered bigger than Tales of? I know that's on the horizon from them too.

Because BC, The last three Tales of games turned out to be turds, The tales of team is small/don't have much of a budget since they need an goddamn anime to support it. 

Edit: They were in the red since the fucking 2000's

22 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

Who?

Monster Hunter but faster, Monster Hunter but faster 2, GOTY 2016 (now with 20% less Etrian Odyssey), pixelated 2D Zelda, and "I wanna be a turn-based game but I wanna give you free movement across the map" PC.

7th dragon 3.jpg

^GOTY 2016

On 10/15/2016 at 3:58 PM, Battlechili said:

Monster Hunter but faster, Monster Hunter but faster 2, GOTY 2016 (now with 20% less Etrian Odyssey), pixelated 2D Zelda, and "I wanna be a turn-based game but I wanna give you free movement across the map" PC.

7th dragon 3.jpg

^GOTY 2016

PM me about these games pls they sound up my alley

guess that makes you an alley cat, HA

3 hours ago, Socketosis said:

There will inevitably be another Five Nights At Feddy's game.

In other news, the sun will come up and Wendy's will continue to suck.

For real though, I'm excited for the next FNaF game considering the massive leap that was SL.

Also I want a fucking explanation about this Afton shit because it literally makes no goddamn sense and its been makin' me steamed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

In other news, the sun will come up and Wendy's will continue to suck.

For real though, I'm excited for the next FNaF game considering the massive leap that was SL.

Also I want a fucking explanation about this Afton shit because it literally makes no goddamn sense and its been makin' me steamed.

Will it have multiplayer? We can game 2 gether.

On 10/11/2016 at 10:02 PM, Battlechili said:

The indie game Cuphead and the indie game Freedom Planet 2 (sequel to the 2014 GOTY) are both coming out sometime mid-2017, with the latter game having updated spritework and a much more Sonic-like soundtrack.

Speaking of Sonic, Sonic Mania, which looks like the literal second coming of Sonic CD, comes out next year, and along with it, Sonic Team's newest "Project Sonic" comes out then as well.

It'll be interesting seeing how both of these compare.

• 2 weeks later...

Civ 6 disappoints me and it isn't even released yet. All of these leaders who I had to google, for the ones that are relevant, because outside of one or two they were all footnotes. Individuals who, yes, did great things, but unless you're trying to educate people they pale in comparison to almost every other notable choice. And Kongo? Really?!
A vassal state of Portugal that didn't even give them any token resistance! Where's my Zulu hordes, where's my Ethiopia, with its crusaders and resistance against every muslim caliphate, I mean fuck it even fought during world war 2 for a little bit, against Italy.

At least pick the interesting countries of Africa, christ. Kongo's only interesting in Europa Universalis, where you can splooge-paint yourself across the entire globe if you get colonialism first, and where being able to do that is actually a challenge, rather than Civ, where you basically start at parity most of the time.

Props for Scythia (one of the first steppe hordes) and Sumeria though, they might actually be interesting.

Also the Montezuma of Civ 5 was better looking.

although it did make me laugh that the leader of france in civ 6 is italian

i'm excited for Paradox's Tyranny, though

• Like 2

On 03/11/2016 at 4:09 PM, LadyRadarEars said:

Civ 6 disappoints me and it isn't even released yet. All of these leaders who I had to google, for the ones that are relevant, because outside of one or two they were all footnotes. Individuals who, yes, did great things, but unless you're trying to educate people they pale in comparison to almost every other notable choice. And Kongo? Really?!
A vassal state of Portugal that didn't even give them any token resistance! Where's my Zulu hordes, where's my Ethiopia, with its crusaders and resistance against every muslim caliphate, I mean fuck it even fought during world war 2 for a little bit, against Italy.

At least pick the interesting countries of Africa, christ. Kongo's only interesting in Europa Universalis, where you can splooge-paint yourself across the entire globe if you get colonialism first, and where being able to do that is actually a challenge, rather than Civ, where you basically start at parity most of the time.

Props for Scythia (one of the first steppe hordes) and Sumeria though, they might actually be interesting.

Also the Montezuma of Civ 5 was better looking.

although it did make me laugh that the leader of france in civ 6 is italian

i'm excited for Paradox's Tyranny, though

Just get Civ4 with all expansions and the Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn mod. You're welcome ^__^