Odd Fears

Sidewalk Surfboard

I've been sitting here thinking about my childhood, and it turns out I used to have some very odd fears. Most notably, I had a large fear of the THX logo. Yeah, it's fucking weird, ain't it? Something about the THX logo on the end of early Pixar movies used to scare me shitless. It was something to do with the sound it made, or something. I remember that I once had a nightmare about it. As I've gotten older the newer logo doesn't scare me much, but the old one still gives me weird vibes. Did you/do you have any weird, oddly specific fears like that? And note that I'm not talking about phobias, just general fears.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

ALF Is cute, though.

child me would vehemently disagree.  hearing that he ate cats (my favorite animal at the time) did not help.

i had some friends who had ALF dolls, a little one and a really big puppet thing, and they spent like hours trying to teach me not to be afraid of him by playing with those dolls and trying to make them seem friendly.  ...childhood is weird

I used to be terrified of Armos until I was 13. I did not like seeing off putting inanimate objects come to life. That's probably why I like Ib so much; speaks to that old fear. 

I was also deathly afraid of The Mask. That Jim Carrey movie. That shit did NOT work with CG. Especially in the 90's. He was so goddamn creepy.

A lot of things, actually. More when I was younger though.

Lots of old TV logos..Perhaps because of how loud the music was and how quick it happened. Also, it seems to me for some reason a lot of things that were supposed to be "cute" in the late 80's/early 90's were actually pretty fucking terrifying. But things that were supposed to be "scary" actually were pretty funny. To me back then as a kid, at least. But some of the old TV logos/Bumpers do give me a weird feeling even now.

• Like 2

I'm also afraid of thunder and lightning... always feels like the world is about to end.

Also I went through a phase for a few years where I was convinced that I sleepwalked and that I was going to do stuff like shove random stuff in my vagina while I slept and not know about it. I don't know what caused me to eventually get over this but I'm glad I did.

20 hours ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I'm also afraid of thunder and lightning... always feels like the world is about to end.

Also I went through a phase for a few years where I was convinced that I sleepwalked and that I was going to do stuff like shove random stuff in my vagina while I slept and not know about it. I don't know what caused me to eventually get over this but I'm glad I did.

Wow...I knew someone who used to sleepwalk and make piles of sandwiches. 

This is going more and more into OCD territory, but I used to need to avoid, while reading, blinking while looking at "bad" words. "Bad" words can be anything but generally refer to negative things, like death, blood, dying, things like that. Even worse, I could only blink while my eyes were rested on words that were an odd number of words away from a "bad" word. For example, the word next to a bad word is good, but the word next to THAT is bad, and 2 on/back from that, and that, and that, and so on, and all the words in between are okay.

I'm past the blinking bit now and the adjacent words bit, but I still need to avoid SWALLOWING while reading a "bad" word, or listening to one. If I swallow while listening to a bad word, I need to swallow again on a neutral word to cancel it out.

• Like 1

I couldn't stand the look of the characters in the Pokemon anime when I was around 8 or so, I think it was the eyes that did it. (This was in the 90s)

I also became concerned about losing my fingers briefly whist doing a course unit focused on various machining methods, likely because the teacher asked us to put certain terms into google images.

8 hours ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

This is going more and more into OCD territory, but I used to need to avoid, while reading, blinking while looking at "bad" words. "Bad" words can be anything but generally refer to negative things, like death, blood, dying, things like that. Even worse, I could only blink while my eyes were rested on words that were an odd number of words away from a "bad" word. For example, the word next to a bad word is good, but the word next to THAT is bad, and 2 on/back from that, and that, and that, and so on, and all the words in between are okay.

I'm past the blinking bit now and the adjacent words bit, but I still need to avoid SWALLOWING while reading a "bad" word, or listening to one. If I swallow while listening to a bad word, I need to swallow again on a neutral word to cancel it out.

If reading had that much stuff that I'd have to add to it I'd read as little as possible. 

I can't imagine having to go through that. 

Well I don't read that much anyways at least recreationally. 

I had a huge fear of zombies. Like I know little kids get scared easily by monsters in videogames and movies, but for me specifically and exclusively, it was zombies. I know they're a boring cliche, but conceptually, there was something multiple times more freaky about them that struck me deeper than other vanilla stuff like werewolves and vampires, which to me appeared unrealistic (I know, I know).

They'd give me nightmares for ages and make me feel uneasy and vulnerable/paranoid when doing stuff like going to and from school, sitting in the house with the blinds closed, or even just laying in bed.

All the other monsters had the BOO! factor, but zombies had something else. Namely their creeping, inevitable advance, and each member of the horde bore these horrendous, agonising-looking wounds they sustained before they finally died, from limbs gnawed to the bone, eyes gouged out, ribcages exposed, entrails spilled, all topped off by vacant sleepy looks to gleaming, lipless grins. And in their ranks are your neighbors, friends, loved ones, and they're going to kill you very slowly and painfully before you inevitably join them.

Zombies are the perfect visual metaphor for death, really. Shame they end up as cannon fodder or paper targets to be killed en-masse for fun.

also I had a particular dislike for holes like they were something to be avoided. I don't mean like wells or potholes or something, but holes in clothes. dunno why

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

Thanks to the mistake of watching Poltergeist as a kid, I was mortally afraid to be in the same house as a TV on and tuned to static for a very long time.  It still makes me nervous today.

Huh, curious. I always like static, and found it calming. Also, that movie made me laugh a lot! Somehow, it seemed really funny, I recall me and my little brother almost in tears, thinking it was so funny. Though on the other paw, I can't watch 99% of horror movies with blood and gore, at all, or I get bad dreams.

Also: Do TVs still have static, these days?

I used to be deathly afraid of weeds, and specifically weeds... the bigger the more afraid of them i was. When I used to go out into the woods I couldn't let them touch me, especially when it came to things like poison ivy... the WORST was those tall poison ivy like plants that made me want to curl up and cry

now im just like eh, and it doesn't really affect me too much to be touched by weeds.... but i still prefer they don't

3 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

Not that I know of.  I think tuners all use squelch circuits these days.

Huh, I guess I'll have to order a DVD of static.

Odd fear: Drag Queens. Nothing at all against them, but they kinda scare me, like clown s or mimes. I am a huge John Waters fan, though, and did meet the actor/performer Divine's mom, and have her sign a book about her son, Divine, here in Baltimore.

But I wonder: Would I have been scared, had we met in person?

Weed wackers. Got hit by a pebble flung from one when I was very young and ever since I've had the extreme desire to move a fair distance from them. I even detest hearing the sound they make. I still can't bring myself to use one when I do my lawn >_<

But my edger that I've been hit in the face by chunks of asphalt from multiple times? No problemo!