General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

4 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

Was there any problem to begin with as reason for you taking a day off?  (I must totally sound like your boss right now) 

Eh, opportunity mostly. No meetings scheduled for today, we're at a bit of a lull after the recent build, just moved a heavy change to Tier 1 testing, and most my stuff is waiting on other people. The stars have aligned and probably won't do so again until late October/early November. Plus, I need a break after the recent build and after-hours monitoring.

7 minutes ago, GemWolf said:

I can't do that :( I wish I could, but I would feel too guilty. I'm one of those people who have to be forced to take a sick day, otherwise I'd go to work even if I'm on deaths door. 

Wouldn't you feel guilty if you dropped dead at work instead and scarred everybody for life? :^)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Maybe I can alleviate that in about an hour when I'm able to kick on my power equipment and laptop out on the patio. Microscopic examination of cross-sections is always fun!

So I tried both tiny chat links yesterday, but neither of them worked.

I became so bored this summer that, even when I was working, I spent the evenings fact-checking a friend's geological mapping report and thin-section microscopy.

I'm sure you'll post the images on your metal thread when you're done. So I will browse them then.

Has anybody yet mentioned the putative discovery of an earth-sized planet, likely rocky, orbiting Alpha Centauri?

I thought the Douglas Adams fans among you might be amused by the outside possibility that there really are small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

I have all my days off until the 23rd of September. Gawd I am so bored.

This reminds me of a joke where a man thought he was in heaven because he didn't have to work at all and later being informed how he wasn't allowed to work. The man missed working and then he realized he is actually in hell

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Nope, though I've been watching.I'm a bit more interested in the supposed 11GHz signal right now, though. Waiting to hear what that turns out to be. Going to laugh if it's somethign reflected off our ionosphere.

I haven't heard of an '11GHz' signal; could you provide a source?

Alpha C's potentially habitable planet is mostly significant because, if habitable planets are so commonplace that even our nearest stellar companion has 1, that it suggests life might also be commonplace in the universe.

This reminds me of a joke where a man thought he was in heaven because he didn't have to work at all and later being informed how he wasn't allowed to work. The man missed working and then he realized he is actually in hell

Anything to subdue the un-fixable thought machine.

6 minutes ago, 6tails said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/health/seti-signal-hd-164595-alien-civilization/

Why CNN has that in their Health section is way the fuck beyond me.

I assume it's because they lump all science stuff into their 'health' section since most mainstream science-related news is related to health and medicine.

• Like 1

My post-like ratio is growing stronger. Once I have reached my final form I will finally break the barrier that trapped me here.

Soon I will wander the earth having escaped my digital prison. A retarded anthropomorphic WikiHound wandering in the realm of humans. It will be marvelous.

The great 1:1 draws closer by the hour. My e-peen has almost reached full stiffness thanks to the drama that has consumed Phoenix'd.

Be afraid... be very afraid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hux said:

My post-like ratio is growing stronger. Once I have reached my final form I will finally break the barrier that trapped me here.

Soon I will wander the earth having escaped my digital prison. A retarded anthropomorphic WikiHound wandering in the realm of humans. It will be marvelous.

The great 1:1 draws closer by the hour. My e-peen has almost reached full stiffness thanks to the drama that has consumed Phoenix'd.

Be afraid... be very afraid.

148b29338b25ee5be969b4fe2461fddf.png

An E-pen fits your avatar well. :V

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, 6tails said:

So, remember my thumb accident the other day?

100_0201.JPG

That's actually healing pretty much exactly as I aligned it. Give that a couple of weeks and I'll have a fun scar!

Scars are sexy.

I'll be the admin one day. I will be known as Lord Huximillion IV and the Retard Revolution will be complete. Hell, I'm already ban proof.

Unless I get banned for conspiracy to invoke mayhem or some other bologna charge for plotting to conquer the fandom.

I have a feeling 2017 is going to be the year that I finally start winning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6tails said:

So, remember my thumb accident the other day?

That's actually healing pretty much exactly as I aligned it. Give that a couple of weeks and I'll have a fun scar!

No thumb-fingering strangers for you, mister!

9 hours ago, Saxon said:

Has anybody yet mentioned the putative discovery of an earth-sized planet, likely rocky, orbiting Alpha Centauri?

I thought the Douglas Adams fans among you might be amused by the outside possibility that there really are small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

There's probably billions of habitable planets in our galaxy. One of the planets discovered had actual life that isn't just plants and microscopic organisms other than earth. I heard it's actually illegal to examine it (because you can totally stop people from using observatories). I don't think it has a name yet or if I'm even supposed to know this. 

Im still convinced were the only intelligent life in the Galaxy tho. 

Oh wait nevermind there is s no intelligent life here :V

Edited by Glowing Glass

1 hour ago, Glowing Glass said:

There's probably billions of habitable planets in our galaxy. One of the planets discovered had actual life that isn't just plants and microscopic organisms. I heard it's actually illegal to examine it (because you can totally stop people from using observatories). I don't think it has a name yet or if I'm even supposed to know this. 

Im still convinced were the only intelligent life in the Galaxy tho. 

Oh wait nevermind there is s no intelligent life here :V

Earth, lol.

So, I thought of the best idea for a Halloween lawn decoration, if you are rich/a wall street banker/won the lottery/sued someone for a big settlement. I thought of it after seeing this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-74-in-Halloween-Standing-Skeleton-Horse-6342-86676/206802721?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=s1FIrfjyt|dc_mtid_8903jx325196_pcrid_122913813808_pkw__pmt__product_206802721_product_slid_&gclid=CLKx2sv27M4CFQ6BaQodiKECfA

So, get 9 of those skeleton horses. Make their eyes glow red, add motors for head movement. Line them up in pairs of 2, put the 9th one in front, give him a glowing red ball nose. Put a black sled behind them, with flames on the side, some tailpipes that shoot out real flames. In the seat of the sled, add a lifesize prop of Satan, wearing a black fur coat.

Then you have Santa Satan and his 9 reindeer horsemen of the apocalypse, to wreck havoc on the living. Add appropriate metal background music.

Just now, 6tails said:

Yup, because if there were, I'd be going fuck-crazy about the news and laughing at Creationists and most religious people. I'd actually probably finally die for good, from laughter.

I already do. :V

Do you know what the most depressing thing is? I always fantasised about an asteroid landing and its discoverers finding fossil evidence of life inside it.

The most likely source for such an asteroid would be a bit of excised Earth debris ripped off in a previous collision. :c

There probably are asteroids with fossil earth clams floating about up there.

21 hours ago, XoPachi said:

AT&T locks every fucking phone. I could never go into any device I owned through them.

I need a new phone. I'm a member of a pay-as-you-go, or non-contract phone company. And I'm almost wishing I had a contract, because buying a phone is expensive.

I have thought of going with a Samsung Galaxy S series phone, but even the s4, being 3-4 years old, is still $200. The s6 which came out last year I think, is like $400-500 still. I wanted to stick with those because of the ease of finding accessories. The Galaxy notes are pretty expensive as well. So, I don't know WHAT to buy.

26 minutes ago, Saxon said:

In case anybody is confused, no there is no confirmed life outside of Earth. Not even single celled life.

It actually makes me sad. Because not only is there nothing confirmed, but I recall a science video (I believe it was Veritasium or Kurzgesagt) that the way the universe expands we will never even be able to find them if they do exist.

There's a lot of truths about space that I find very upsetting...

Just now, 6tails said:

If they exist inside our galaxy, we wont have to worry about universal expansion. As it stands, we still have to worry about how the fuck we're going to explore a celestial body with a diameter of roughly 75,000 light years!

I the sci fi obsessed kid in me really does hope that some form of life exists within our galaxy or the very least, our local group. Not for any other reason than to be amazed.

Ah, this was the one...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

It actually makes me sad. Because not only is there nothing confirmed, but I recall a science video (I believe it was Veritasium or Kurzgesagt) that the way the universe expands we will never even be able to find them if they do exist.

There's a lot of truths about space that I find very upsetting...

The science video you watched must have been mistaken. If there were other life forms in our nearest star systems then human spacecraft operating at conventional speeds could reach them on a time span of 0.1-10 million years, which is so fast that we may ignore expansion. 

If there were a civilisation on Alpha Centauri, they sent a radio message today, and Donald Trump became president, then Donald would receive that message before the end of his presidential term.

43 minutes ago, Saxon said:

In case anybody is confused, no there is no confirmed life outside of Earth. Not even single celled life.

I would love to go dig up my old research on the planet but it's probably on the dark web now wherever I left it. The only thing I remember is it was several million light years away. It had oceans and rocky/desert land. Since it orbits a star in the habitable zone it's very likely there is life on it, just underwater. Last time I checked we can't observe the bottom of an ocean from space. If the theory of evolution is true which it probably is, all life should originate from under water. You're right it there is no confirmed life on other planets just like there's no confirmation that Gravity is real. It's all speculation and it will stay that way I'm just saying there is a lot of evidence to support it though

Alien fish. Not necessarily anything like common fish on earth swimming near the surface or anything, just small organisms that could be sitting down at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Glowing Glass said:

I would love to go dig up my old research on the planet but it's probably on the dark web now wherever I left it. The only thing I remember is it was several million light years away. It had oceans and rocky/desert land. Since it orbits a star in the habitable zone it's very likely there is life on it, just underwater. Last time I checked we can't observe the bottom of an ocean from space. If the theory of evolution is true which it probably is, all life should originate from under water. You're right it there is no confirmed life on other planets just like there's no confirmation that Gravity is real. It's all speculation and it will stay that way I'm just saying there is a lot of evidence to support it though

Alien fish. Not necessarily anything like common fish on earth swimming near the surface or anything, just small organisms that could be sitting down at the bottom.

It is not possible to directly image a planet several million light years away, so you're obviously just making things up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Saxon said:

It is not possible to directly image a planet several million light years away, so you're obviously just making things up.

Of course it's not possible.

If it's several million light years away then the events seen on it happened millions of years ago.

As for getting an image from our point of view you can't just use any camera and take pictures. There are other methods of examining and documenting it.

If we went to the planet now, it could be completely destroyed or have a small chance of having life on land or life growing underwater. Or it could be the exact same as it was millions of years ago.

If there was intelligent life on the planet and they saw earth, they would most likely not see humans at all but here we are. They could be thinking about us the same way we think about them. 

The point I'm making is nobody knows what's really over there. You're right but I'm still not wrong. There is no confirmation of life outside of earth but there is loads of evidence that show that there is a high chance that there is. 

If you still think it's made up sure go ahead and say I'm wrong. I know it sounds crazy and unrealistic so I can't blame you for thinking that way.

• Vae pinned this topic