Nintendo Switch

TrishaCat

2 hours ago, Eggdodger said:

I guess this is another Nintendo console I'll have to wait a month or two after release for. It's the Wii all over again.

It's exactly like the Wii all over again. I gave my local GameStop a call to see what they had in terms of Midnight-release walk-ins, and they said that they had only 6 units and there were already people camping outside the store. At that point I just said "fuck it" and got BoTW for the Wii U. It shouldn't be so impossible to get a single console. Not to mention, they're going to have absolutely nothing on release day, so good luck.

On 3/3/2017 at 11:55 AM, Chaosmasterdelta said:

Just got it. But since only three systems can be plugged into my tv at one time, I have to decide witch one it's going to replace: Wii U, Xbox 360, or Xbox one?

IMG_1621.JPG

Why is the game box twice the size of the console's?

16 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

Why is the game box twice the size of the console's?

He got the special edition. It has a lot of things in there that are not game cartridges.

On another note, I'm surprised nobody seems to be complaining about the Joy-Cons-- I have huge hands and it looks like it would give me pain to hold one on its own. They must be more comfortable than they look. I can't wait to see for myself.

I got my Switch today and have ran into no problems. Just.... its JUST Breath of the wild right now. Toshabi and Fiance were sort of hoping the eshop would've had the classic games to download, but nope, not yet. A bit of a let down, but fuuuuck Zelda is FUUUUNNN

• Like 1

I'll be getting my switch and Zelda in a few days. I look forward to making friends with beefy bird men.

Although I sure hope old games get ported over to the switch eventually. Zelda is the only game worth playing on it :v

I'm really liking my switch so far, been having a blast playing it on the bus and around uni as well as back home on the TV. Zelda is fucking great. Unfortunately it's basically the console equivalent of an early-access game right now in terms of the lack of games or virtual console (Zelda, Shovel Knight and Fast RMX are pretty much the only good games out so, ) and basic OS features such as being able to search for friends by name or cloud saving, but hopefully that'll have all changed come winter and splatoon and mario etc are out and Nintendo have had time to sharpen the OS up.

Well, I'm done with the main dungeons of Zelda and got the Master Sword.
I feel like this game could be way better, but it's still pretty fun and I'm gonna sink several more days worth of my life into this game.

Also, Lynels. In a 3D Zelda finally. And they're just as fierce as I'd imagine them. DAMN they're fucking tanks.

17 hours ago, Hewge said:

Zelda is the only game worth playing on it :v

share_img_index_en.jpg

die

• Like 1

My friend ask me why I bought Breath of the Wild for my WiiU the only answer I can give em is: Its the same damn game. Since mines is also digital, it loads JUST AS FAST AS THE SWITCH VERSION. Now leave me to my Zelda while I also get angry we still ain't getting another F-zero game...like they cant ask sega to make another one for them or something...

Switch/Zelda owners!

Do me a favor? Can I get some reference shots of the bird wife I linked with Kass? For anyone there yet...
I wish to doodle her, but can only potato cam and get shitty details.

No good screens from the back yet. Looking her up only gets me Link Nendoroids... :c

11 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Switch/Zelda owners!

Do me a favor? Can I get some reference shots of the bird wife I linked with Kass? For anyone there yet...
I wish to doodle her, but can only potato cam and get shitty details.

No good screens from the back yet. Looking her up only gets me Link Nendoroids... :c

I would help you out as I just beat Vah Medoh yesterday. But I can't find a pic of her anywhere. I believe her name is Amali, correct me if I'm wrong.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:26 PM, Shiro said:

I would help you out as I just beat Vah Medoh yesterday. But I can't find a pic of her anywhere. I believe her name is Amali, correct me if I'm wrong.

Saki's her name. I'm asking because I believe you can screenshot at any point on the Switch and upload it...somewhere. She's Teba's wife at the top of the village by the Elder's house.

C6fjfevVUAA2ftg.jpg

ya boi

Yeah. I think I'm at a point where I personally feel this Zelda game is good, but like...just good. Don't think anything's gonna change from here on with me. 

But if I had to give a personal ranking? I'd put it in the lower end or middle of the spectrum for my console Zelda-ing preferences. I'd still rather go back and play most of the other games in the series. I'm indifferent to this new style. If they do this again, I really hope they continue to tweak and change things because obviously this new format has wildly high potential. If they go back to the old school format, no skin off my nose (I'd probably end up preferring it). I plugged in my N64 again and I had a halfway file in Majora's Mask where I was at Snowhead. This SHIT controller aside, game kinda blows BotW out of the water for me almost entirely.

Game was fun, but so much was just missing for me and looooaaads of missed opportunities. Props to Nintendo anyway though. They often get criticized for Zelda being the same song and dance. This kind of sits in a style all it's own.

Well, I steamrolled Ganon. 
Nothing really changed for me just another "that's it?" expression after...whatever that was. Guess it was a boss fight? Game kinda left me feeling empty, sadly.
It's ok, but just kind of a whatever experience most of it. Least there's still stuff left over to do and find. :/

25 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Well, I steamrolled Ganon. 
Nothing really changed for me just another "that's it?" expression after...whatever that was. Guess it was a boss fight? Game kinda left me feeling empty, sadly.
It's ok, but just kind of a whatever experience most of it. Least there's still stuff left over to do and find. :/

Felt the exact same way when I beat the game yesterday. Calamity Ganon was a joke and the ending was really lacking, at least to me. Everything leading up to the final fight was this amazing climax until you actually beat the game, then I was just disappointed. But like you mentioned, at least there's a lot more to do afterwards.

22 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Felt the exact same way when I beat the game yesterday. Calamity Ganon was a joke and the ending was really lacking, at least to me. Everything leading up to the final fight was this amazing climax until you actually beat the game, then I was just disappointed. But like you mentioned, at least there's a lot more to do afterwards.

I felt the whole game was lacking after the Great Plateau, personally. It kept continually rolling downhill for me and never really picked up. It just stayed at this flat level of "it's alright". It was never frustrating or painful outside two small instances, but the entire time I was underwhelmed, and felt largely unengaged compared to most previous Zelda games. Just when things seemed to start to get interesting it was always cut short and I felt like I had done nothing. And even having "a lot" to do left, I don't think I'll actually care to since I kind of already know what it all is going to be.

The game's held back for me by trying to be too open ended and too understated to the point that there's really no depth to the bits I come to Zelda for and the critical parts are forgettable. It really makes me sad. I still like it, but it's nowhere close to my favorite Zelda games or even favorite open world games. :/

7 hours ago, QT Melon said:

Apparently Jim Sterling got a DDoS because he dared not give Zelda a perfect 10 but a 7.9. From the innovative gameplay I think it deserves a lot of praise, but if it's got dropped frames it does not because its chosen style should have helped alleviate that.

Yeah. I was trying to access his site and it was down for the whole day. And they were tearing him apart on Reddit and whatnot unsurprisingly.

I thought his review when i could finally read it was rather spot on and the score is fair. 

It was hilarious because he apologized to Sonic fans for calling them the worst all these years when he saw how much worse other gamers can be now. Lmao

• Like 1

So I sat and read the review, and he actually gave the game a lot of really strong praise, for someone who also just made a video about why you should pirate Nintendo games.

It takes a special breed of whiny and self-entitled to DDOS the dude over something like that. Over saying "I liked this, I just wish I could have liked it more."

I get the points about the weapon system. On one hand I do think it's innovative to have durability on weapons before they break. I however also agree that the types of weapons you get shouldn't break so easily because, they're weapons for a reason. Who the hell would want to be a Blacksmith, if you spend hours making swords, and magical ones that break against a living body in a couple of hits. That's silly. I can understand player frustration on one hand if you see your enemy using a weapon you're trying to obtain not break, but the second you get it it, it will break after a few hits.  If it broke easily in enemy hands you wouldn't be able to use it, but it does make it a funny paradox that if you get it, it will break.

The fact Zelda got inflated numbers is odd to me as well. It should be a perfect 10 if there are dropped frames? That it is above it? A perfect game should have no glitches at all, not "well that's minor...so I'll still give it a PERFECT rating". If anything, because other places were giving it a PERFECT score...I think makes it acceptable to ignore issues with the game especially a series that is loved.

I really love the Zelda series and I'll still play the original from time to time but it does drive me batty how some fans can't take constructive criticism of a game to the point of flooding his site.

Weapon durability systems are only acceptable to me if they're done in a way that makes actual sense.
A sword should not break on an enemy made of soft flesh, wearing nothing. A bow should not break unless you're using it to melee something.

If you're going to include them, make it solely for armored enemies. The more armored, the more damage is done to your weapon.
Force the player to find more creative solutions than whacking that enemy more. Find a weak spot. Throw bombs. Collapse a roof or use other environmental elements to your advantage.

It's not like we don't have the technology for this in today's gaming world, either. I'm pretty goddamn certain we do.

Otherwise, just don't include durability systems. They're dumb, and annoying. Just like inventory weight management systems.
It's a video game anyway. It shouldn't feel like a chore.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Faust said:

Bah, some people. 7.9 is good, it's still well above average.

But some people. 

SidAlpha commented on it as well following "the dramas" stating that it could be argued that magazines like Game informer are responsible for people misconstruing a 7 being "bad" in any shape or form. If a game story is good and there are a lot of technical issues like dropping frames at random, faulty graphical issues, or shoddy controls, it shouldn't be worth a 10 in any sense. 

3 hours ago, Socketosis said:

I'm just shocked that Nintendo fans have access to DDOS tools. Is that stuff handed out like candy these days?

LOIC and HOIC is free to download if you know where to go. It also takes a special kind of stupid if someone uses it without masking their IP.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zeke said:

SidAlpha commented on it as well following "the dramas" stating that it could be argued that magazines like Game informer are responsible for people misconstruing a 7 being "bad" in any shape or form.

Yeah, most of the early computer game review magazines had a tendency to rate on a hyperbolic scale, where 50% was bad and 75% was average. I guess it gave them more leeway to really rip into the awful games.

9 hours ago, Faust said:

Yeah, most of the early computer game review magazines had a tendency to rate on a hyperbolic scale, where 50% was bad and 75% was average. I guess it gave them more leeway to really rip into the awful games.

Not really. Take fable 3 as an example. It's a game that has a lot of issues with placing, mechanics, and false promises, but it has high praise. In fact, it's an average game with little to no replayability.

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Not really. Take fable 3 as an example. It's a game that has a lot of issues with placing, mechanics, and false promises, but it has high praise. In fact, it's an average game with little to no replayability.

I'm confused as to why this is a disagreement. Fable 3 isn't an early game - I'm talking about Commodore Amiga and maybe even ZX Spectrum magazines here - and the example you're quoting isn't one described as mediocre yet scored in the mid-70's, but one that was described as good-to-excellent and received decent scores. There doesn't seem to be any overlap between your example and my point?