Which cancelled show are you still not over yet?

Ansitru

Also, the only show I know of to jump the shark after its cancellation: Battlestar Galactica, the 1970s series which did it as Galactica 1980.

About this series, I was and am a big fan. It looks hokey and silly now. It was then too, believe me, but what happened was the episodes were costing CBS about 1 million dollars each to shoot. Which was almost unheard of budget for a weekly program at that time. Then CBS made a few schedule changes once more popular Mork and Mindy began showing on ABC. CBS decided to play Alice and All In The Family during Battlestar Galactica's original time-slot at 8pm on Sunday and play Battlestar Galactica afterward. All In The Family's ratings, at nearly 40% crushed Battlestar Galactica's 27% ratings. CBS then decided to cancel the show. After canceling, CBS was then mired in a massive United States wide letter writing campaign, and that was also something largely unheard of at the time and they decided to throw a bone to viewers by bringing back some of the original cast, save money on some of the big names from before and then reuse stock footage and try for Galactica 1980, wherein Boxey was grown and a Viper Pilot captain, as his adoptive father, Apollo had been. The show lasted a mere ten seasons and well, I own it and I agree, it sucks. They should have just let that sleeping dog lie.

I agree with Dirk Benedict, the original Starbuck, He was once interviewed about the new series and said something to the effect of "The new re-imagined series is an un-imagined series. and the new Starbuck needs to be called Star-Doe." I watched the whole thing, gave it a change but could not escape from the facts that to me the series was well and truly dead to me. There seemed to be too much Deus ex machina going on in many of the episode plots as well.  Things just had a way of mysteriously working out for the best without much explanation. I also thought the Count Baltar was a sniveling coward and resembled none of John Colicos' bombastic menacing performance as a truly formidable Baltar.

X-Files was a great program I was sorry to see go. I just do not want the X-Files re-imagining to go as poorly as Battlestar Galactica did.

Edited by Skylar Husky

I just remember two more. Both syfy. One was aliens crash landing on Earth and having to live in camps while the government tries to integrate them into human society. I was able to read the rest of the season plans though and got ticked on how much it ended up SUCKING so I was glad it got cancelled then. There was also this other show (can't recall its name) about this astronaut that was testing something out but was sucked into a wormhole and popped up in a totally different galaxy (in the middle of a war no less). That show was good gosh darn it!

Oh yeah Farscape was an awesome series.  It did get an ending of sorts which was ok, but I would love to see more set in that same universe or with the same characters.  It was really scary though because before they made the miniseries to finish it they did leave the show on the worst cliffhanger ever.

So I was watching season 3 of Metalocalypse last night and became curious as to how the show was cancelled. It had quite an audience, with metalheads all over showing their admiration. The show had resources, as season 3 switched to 22 minute episodes and had improved story and graphics. So why did Cartoon Network pull the plug?

Alien Nation and Farscape would most likely be the names of those. Alien Nation kinda sucked, Farscape was indeed awesome with all the Jim Henson puppetry.

Yeah, the one was definitely Farscape. :) The other was something else though. It was very romeo and juliet themed and each episode was named after a Shakespeare quote. I know I watched it on Netflix but I don't have a subscription currently so I can't just check my history. Man this is going to bug me.

I have an axe to grind with NBC-Universal for the string of cancellations of fairly decent Sci-Fi shows in preference for showing more cheap vapid "reality TV". Shows included:
Surface, which was promised 20 episodes, was cut back to 15 and put on hiatus due to the Winter Olympics and was then quietly cancelled afterwards. It was getting good but knowing that the ending was going to be coming the writers ended up rushing to fill in the storyline and the show ended on a cliff-hanger with a whole number of unanswered questions.

Invasion (I think) was the other one, it featured Brent Spiner but I don't believe it got more than a couple of episodes before being axed and it was shaping up to be something fairly decent.

I imagine that if NBC had control over Stargate, SG-1 would never have had 10 seasons.

• Like 1

Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, Firefly, rome, and surprisingly Animorphs.

Animorphs was a fucking terrible show and they only managed a handful of episodes for the second season before it was cancelled. I think that it deserves at least a reboot and done by Syfy instead of Nickelodeon. With the special effects we have now, you don't have to worry about having too many real animals (Save for thegenral domesticated ones), and Andantes, Taxxons, and Hork-bajir do not have to look like d-movie rejects from the 60's. 

tumblr_mz394jxbc71sjf4wao1_400.thumb.gif

3SWbK.thumb.png.7751005490f5b666a71beb9e

tumblr_inline_nafw3crx2K1qeirzp.jpg

I would have said Twin Peaks because it is objectively the highest point of human achievement in fiction, but now that they're bringing it back I'm not so sure. I mean, the original series is still godlike perfection, but boy I'm sure they'll fuck it up. 

So I'll just add a vote for HBO's Rome and add Jericho

I have an axe to grind with NBC-Universal for the string of cancellations of fairly decent Sci-Fi shows in preference for showing more cheap vapid "reality TV". Shows included:
Surface, which was promised 20 episodes, was cut back to 15 and put on hiatus due to the Winter Olympics and was then quietly cancelled afterwards. It was getting good but knowing that the ending was going to be coming the writers ended up rushing to fill in the storyline and the show ended on a cliff-hanger with a whole number of unanswered questions.

Invasion (I think) was the other one, it featured Brent Spiner but I don't believe it got more than a couple of episodes before being axed and it was shaping up to be something fairly decent.

I imagine that if NBC had control over Stargate, SG-1 would never have had 10 seasons.

I liked Surface too and did not like how it was quickly and unceremoniously slapped together at the end. 

The show with Brent Spiner in it was a good show and it had such potential to take off. It was called Threshold. In it, there was a rotating circular mass offshore which was like a 4 dimensional portal that was sending probes through from some far flung corner of the galaxy or universe. Yes that was cut down before it took off.

CSI. I just finished watching the series finale and it got me thinking why they cancelled the show. It was still good in my opinion. This means 1 less crime investigation drama series to watch. At least CSI: Cyber got renewed for a second season. But I think that that is inferior to the core series.

CSI was a good show. I am a chemist and I liked to see all the stuff that went on in the labs. It is preposterous to have a 99.2% match on a chemical trace though. From my own personal experience, it is difficult to get a second or third sampling of the same batch and lot number to give readings with 99.2% match. A good day will have between 80 and 90% match.

They take other chemistry liberties throughout that are neither here nor there. The lab is also pretty showy for a lab. All that aside I like the show, the forensics scientists doing sciencey stuff. I actually owe the show for finding out about the furry fandom. if I had not seen the episode Fur and Loathing, I would have never thought to look up terminology used by characters on the show and I would have never found out about the fandom.

It was sad to see it go but Lawrence Fishburn and Ted Danson just didn't have the same impact as William Petersen (as Gil Grissom)

And you are right, despite the pedigree "CSI" CSI Cyber just hasn't got it as far as a show goes. I find it hard to believe that so many things would have to go right with computers for the events to unfold. The episode wherein a hacker was causing death to people riding on rollercoasters was a bit difficult to swallow. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Invader ZIM - I know there's the comic now, but after listening to some of the unfinished episodes, I'd like to see what would've been.

A show that didn't end properly - CSI Miami - probably the better of the spin offs.

Farscape - it really didn't end in the finale - it was more of a set up for more to come.

Haven't seen the rest of series, but Warehouse 13.

And lastly for the moment was Destination Truth which was one of the more entertaining spooky investigative shows.