unpopular opinions

Joel

On 1/31/2016 at 7:49 PM, Sylver said:
  • Religion should be classifies as a mental disorder.
  • Murdering children, to some extent, is perfectly fine.
  • Useless individuals with debilitating conditions should be put down
  • People that contribute nothing to society in terms of knowledge, have no job, and mooch off the government should be put down.
  • Unintelligent breeders should be euthanized
  • Incest, so long as they don't have children, is fine

1) Assuming you're referring to the belief in a religious doctrine or an otherwise series of spiritual edicts, you'd be axing about 50 percent (if not more) of the human population. You're also slighting people for something that is not only by and large harmless, but something that is also outside of their direct control. I've said this before and I'll say it again: religion is not the problem. Human nature is the problem. The Jihadist that marks all Westerners for death isn't doing it because some man in the sky decorated with a fuzzy beard and a turban wrapped around his cranium compels him to do it. He's probably thumping AK-47 rounds down range at a throng of unaware pedestrians because he's a single male with little in the way of gainful employment and a flaming (although probably subconscious) desire to secure a mate so that he may produce a healthy progeny in order to ensure that his genetic lineage is properly perpetuated. 

Polygyny is an inherently obstructive and destructive enemy of modern civilization. It creates a notable pool of very angry, very lonely, and very broke males at the bottom of a society. The last thing you want in any nation is a massive surplus of jobless, shiftless, and especially mate-less males of fighting age who can do nothing but sit idly by as a minute crop of alpha men horde and soak up all of the women, all of the political power, and all of the national finances uncontested. These types of societal circumstances push the most savage aspects of the male sex's nature into abstract manifestation.

Most human conflicts aren't even driven by religious nut-baggery anyhow. They're mostly over territory and resources (as most conflicts between individual animals and groups of animals tend to be). Justifying your pillaging and raping by declaring that the unbeliever is worthy of nothing more than death is merely your monkey brain duping you into believing that your heinous, bestial actions have authentic legitimacy behind them.

You're not a rational creature. Any person on this planet that says that they're some sort of unadulterated bastion of logic and reasoning is a liar.

And they're sure as shit aren't human.

2) Enjoy ending the foundations of your future generations prematurely and losing the reproductive race. The future belongs to those who opt to show up.

3) This is 2016, not the 7th century. What's the point of forwarding humanity's comprehension of medical knowledge and technical capacity when saving lives is somehow unwarranted because they're somehow "flawed"? That's what separates progressive, civilized nations from the rest: the fact that they can aptly afford to ensure that a man who's confined to a lower-extremity powered exoskeleton has a chance at life while some war-torn banana republic in a faraway land can barely guarantee free basic public education to its people.

Gene therapy, embryo selection, genetic screening, and other wondrous technological novelties are slated to make Social Darwinism and old-school eugenics effectively pointless anyway. Assuming we don't nuke ourselves into existential irrelevancy, the first generation of artificially-engineered humans will most likely herald the onset of the next stage of evolution for our species.  

4) There is no nation on Earth that maintains a true 0 percent unemployment rate unless books are being cooked and palms are being constantly greased with finical incentives. This goes double for industrialized and wealthy First World nations that can afford to maintain generous welfare systems while simultaneously enabling their citizen bodies to work less and less. I don't know about you, but I don't envy the folks who bore the brunt of the Industrial Revolution's opening days. Those old, commonplace 70-hour work weeks sound killer.

5) In the eyes of the cognitive elite, the bottom 80 or 90 percent of any general population is considered comparatively unintelligent. You shouldn't be quick to exterminate the meat of your country's citizenry. Someone has to maintain civilization and defend it to the death. I don't think outfitting great thinkers with automatic rifles and thrusting them into the line of fire is a very efficient use of their innate talents.

Besides, your Nicola Teslas and Thomas Edisons aren't in any position to dictate who can and who cannot breed. Try telling the lion's share of the US population that they're not allowed to breed anymore because they're apparently too dumb and see how long it takes before an armed rebellion breaks out.

Edited by I Did It For The Cat Girls

1 minute ago, Sylver said:

@I Did It For The Cat Girls

I'm lazy, so this is the best response you'll get from me:

- I skimmed over your post so I may have missed something.

- You're putting words in my mouth and making a lot of assumptions about me.

- Thanks for the laugh.

I'm trying to ask myself what I would get out of a conversation with you. Given that you're keen on making assumptions and putting words in my mouth, I predict that the conversation will be of low quality and deriving useful information will be laborious. It would be entertaining to say the least, but I'd rather do something else.

Make sure to pick up your salt and your diaper on the way out. O_o

• Like 3

Are you guys having semantic arguments over "moral" and "ethical" again, where "moral" is based on cultural norms, while "ethical" at least tries to be logical based on some fundamental axioms?

Oh, no, you're not. Looks like Syover is neither.

On 1/31/2016 at 6:49 PM, Sylver said:
  • Religion should be classifies as a mental disorder.
  • Murdering children, to some extent, is perfelctly fine.
  • Useless individuals with debilitating conditions should be put down
  • People that contribute nothing to society in terms of knowledge, have no job, and mooch off the government should be put down.
  • Unintelligent breeders should be euthanized
  • Incest, so long as they don't have children, is fine
  • This is both stupid and pointless. That'd be pretty much the equivalent of classifying idiocy as a mental disorder, in which case the vast majority of people would be "mentally disordered"
  • Agreed.
  • Agreed, though I think that certain individuals should be able to earn the right to die a natural death if they contributed a significant amount of good to the general welfare before they became disabled or too old.
  • Agreed.
  • Agreed.
  • NO, incest is degenerative and as long as it happens there is no guarantee that the couple will not have children, even with protection. People who believe that incest is acceptable should be subject to a culture of shame and publicly ridiculed until they hopefully off themselves.
Edited by KryptoKroenen

11 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:
  • This is both stupid and pointless. That'd be pretty much the equivalent of classifying idiocy as a mental disorder, in which case the vast majority of people would be "mentally disordered"
  • Agreed.
  • Agreed, though I think that certain individuals should be able to earn the right to die a natural death if they contributed a significant amount of good to the general welfare before they became disabled or too old.
  • Agreed.
  • Agreed.
  • NO, incest is degenerative and as long as it happens there is no guarantee that the couple will not have children, even with protection. People who believe that incest is acceptable should be subject to a culture of shame and publicly ridiculed until they hopefully off themselves.

Judging from your previous posts, I'm not at all surprised. I'd be careful for what you wish for as you and sylver might fit into bullet point Number 3.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maug said:

Judging from your previous posts, I'm not at all surprised. I'd be careful for what you wish for as you and sylver might fit into bullet point Number 3.

That's the classic response to that opinion...no, I'm quite convinced that the path I am on in life will lead me to contribute a significant amount of good to the society in which I live and I have no fear of being executed if such a law were to take effect. Only those who aren't productive would think otherwise...

19 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

That's the classic response to that opinion...no, I'm quite convinced that the path I am on in life will lead me to contribute a significant amount of good to the society in which I live and I have no fear of being executed if such a law were to take effect. Only those who aren't productive would think otherwise...

It's not the classic response, it's a logical one. How would you define unproductive? People that don't do what you want? Or is it because they haven't been blessed with certain abilities and qualities you deem exceptionable? In what circumstance would it be ok to murder children? Is it because they don't have the qualities and abilities you deem acceptable?

Edited by Maug
Clarity

12 minutes ago, Sylver said:

Going back OT...

- "Friends" are easily replacable

- People shouldn't hype movies or games to the extent that they do

- AI will render the majority of people's lives pointless

- Flowers don't smell very nice

- The Eifel Tower isn't aesthetically pleasing

1. Depends on the personality of the person

2. Fanboys can be narrow sighted sometimes

3. It's possible. That's an engineer's wet dream.

4. Some flowers DO smell terrible. I have allergies so they all smell terrible to me.

5. Honestly it is quite ugly. It was supposed to be a temporary building for a festival, but then they kept it despite opposition

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

*"How would you define unproductive? People that don't do what you want? Or is it because they haven't been blessed with certain abilities and qualities you deem exceptionable?"*

Quite easily actually, anyone who doesn't have a job or isn't self-sufficient in some way is unproductive. Exceptions would obviously have to be made for children and students as these are productive individuals in-training.

*" In what circumstance would it be ok to murder children? Is it because they don't have the qualities and abilities you deem acceptable?"*

Children with inferior genetics (for example, a significantly below average IQ) and those with severe disabilities can go, both for their own good and society's. No, it is not a question of whom I personally deem to be fit or unfit, it is simply a product of nature; the lack of certain qualities or abilities can qualify a person as more of a parasite on the system than a productive member, and in such a case they should go. I still have a bit of "humanity" left in me so I might be open to deporting said people to Africa rather than killing them.

Again, your response is what I expected. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity_and_mental_illness

With such a system it would be these people that  would be exterminated:

http://www.wcvb.com/health/14414700

People with depression or other disorders can have long bouts of 'unproductivity' before they are able to cope with it and become 'productive members of society'.

In short. I disagree with you.

Edited by Maug
added a thought
  • Like 3

people who claim they have no emotions or humanity are honestly really boring. it was pretty cool when I was in 7th grade, but this sort of attitude is so draining and stupid. not to mention childish

18 minutes ago, Maug said:

5. Honestly it is quite ugly. It was supposed to be a temporary building for a festival, but then they kept it despite opposition

it doesn't help that there are so many scam artists walking around trying to get you to sign fake petitions. kind of detracts from the experience of seeing it. I also don't think it's worth the 12 Euro to go to the top :/

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

"How would you define unproductive? People that don't do what you want? Or is it because they haven't been blessed with certain abilities and qualities you deem exceptionable?"

Quite easily actually, anyone who doesn't have a job or isn't self-sufficient in some way is unproductive. Exceptions would obviously have to be made for children and students as these are productive individuals in-training.

" In what circumstance would it be ok to murder children? Is it because they don't have the qualities and abilities you deem acceptable?"

Children with inferior genetics (for example, a significantly below average IQ) and those with severe disabilities can go, both for their own good and society's. No, it is not a question of whom I personally deem to be fit or unfit, it is simply a product of nature; the lack of certain qualities or abilities can qualify a person as more of a parasite on the system than a productive member, and in such a case they should go. I still have a bit of "humanity" left in me so I might be open to deporting said people to Africa rather than killing them.

Why would you deport a bunch of mentally or physically maligned individuals of various nationalities to various sovereign states in Africa?

That'd be promoting multiculturalism. I'm pretty sure Ghanaians don't want a sudden influx of Spaniards or Indians in their country.

1 hour ago, Sylver said:

Going back OT...

- "Friends" are easily replacable

You must be fun at parties.

Honestly, and this might ruffle a few feathers, but I think that genocide and this whole "culling of the weak" lark just isn't very good banter. Why can't life just be a party? Why do we have to spend so much time deciding whether or not the poor and sickly should live or die? Just have a wank and chill out. It's not difficult.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, willow said:

people who claim they have no emotions or humanity are honestly really boring. it was pretty cool when I was in 7th grade, but this sort of attitude is so draining and stupid. not to mention childish

You'd think that somebody who's supposedly a cold, calculated sociopath would have grander things in mind than flexing his e-peen on a furry form :V

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Wow, someone actually watched it...this made me smile. :)

I considered it. But six hours is longer than I can pay attention to ... well... basically anything.

1 hour ago, Sylver said:

- People shouldn't hype movies or games to the extent that they do

Pretty sure this is a popular opinion. If not, it's half way there.

Not even gonna address the other nonsense going on in this thread.
So here's a different one: People who don't strive to be healthy are stupid in my eyes.
But whatever floats your boat I guess.

edit for clarity: By that, I mean, actively pursue it. Make some step towards understanding how to eat properly, avoiding terrible alternatives on a regular basis, attempt to exercise at least semi-regularly, so on. There are people who "think" they're being healthy, but then do more stupid crap (see the "DIET coke, I'm trying to lose weight" joke for the stereotype) so they don't count for obvious reasons.

Edited by ChaosCalix

36 minutes ago, willow said:

I can understand it from an anxiety point of view; idolizing aloof and detached characters for their ability to distance themselves from people. Vicariously indulging in that freedom from responsibility and obligation.

I tend to have a period of that on nights out drinking with friends. I'll become disenchanted for a little while and feel separate from everybody, drifting around without feeling the consequence or weight of my presence. I'll sometimes just leave a party without saying goodbye while in that state. I honestly enjoy it, even though I can be an inconsiderate dick as a result. It's just what comes from being drunk and tired, and then a sudden melodramatic self awareness comes over you. It's very self indulgent. That's not the same as what you're talking about exactly, but it came to mind.

I can't think of a good unpopular opinion to share. I think I had one a minute ago, but it's away now.

10 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Most mentally ill people don't create anything but trouble for society. But IF there were individuals who were mentally disordered yet very creative and inventive, the solution would be to simply put these people into a think-tank and use their talents efficiently. Then they would be away from society, not causing trouble for anyone, and at the same time they would be productive.

Yeah, because forcing an already mentally unstable person into isolation will do wonders for their motivation.

8 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Most mentally ill people don't create anything but trouble for society. But IF there were individuals who were mentally disordered yet very creative and inventive, the solution would be to simply put these people into a think-tank and use their talents efficiently. Then they would be away from society, not causing trouble for anyone, and at the same time they would be productive.

Drain them for all they're worth, right? And in what work camp will you wear out your body for the purpose of productivity? We're all in this people-for-profit dystopia together, after all. Everybody being squeezed like oranges for all the good they can do for "society", whatever "society" is. If people are to serve human progress, what does human progress serve? What's the endgame?

41 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Sounds too much like a concentration camp to me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Yeah, so what? If it works....

That's the beauty of it, as long as you are one of the elect (i.e. not an unintelligent loser) life is amazing. And as natural selection will ensure that the weak are eventually weeded out, at some point ALL people will enjoy the benefits of this new life. The endgame? That's another beautiful thing about it, there is none! We have limitless progress, limitless advancement, all at an accelerating speed now that the weak social parasites have been cut out. In such a society technological, social, and political progress would skyrocket. The average gamer would be gaming at 16K 360fps and full Matrix-level VR would probably already be a reality. World peace would be much more likely and world hunger would not be a problem since there would be no hungry parasites trying to get something for nothing.

It doesn't work, it's been tried before by the man you idolize.

I still can't quite figure out why you hang around here, This is a furry site, Do you actually like the fandom or are you here just to here to chat about your Social Darwinist views?

No offense, I'm just curious.

• Like 2

Alright. I guess I need to put this reminder here that even in the unpopular opinons forum, this is a rule on the forums: Use hate speech/discrimination based on gender/beliefs/race/orientation. Punishments have been dispensed appropriately. 

Unpopular opinon: Being disgusted by racism/sexism/transphobia/misogyny/etc and wanting to condemn it as malicious "joke" fodder is not being overtly PC. Its just calling you out on being an asshole. 

Using "Edgy" as a response is just a cop out from actually forming a counter-point.

People who think certain people are okay to euthanize by default should be euthanized.

The Book of Mor(m)on is one of the best comedy writings ever.

Reading this thread helps me empathize with serial killers. :v

46 minutes ago, Cingal said:

Unpopular Opinion:

Getting offended by sexism/racism/whateverism doesn't make you morally superior, it just makes you kinda pathetic and unable to take a joke.

Context is everything. In some cases I would agree with you, in others? No.
I assume you're talking about getting offended at jokes, though, and I agree with that generally.

• Like 1