Good 3DS games? I'm going to be on the road a lot

Eggdodger

I need games that I can play on the go and will have fun with. I've tried mobile games, but they don't entertain me. I'd actually rather sit and do nothing. Here's what I already have to avoid repeats:

-Animal Crossing: New Leaf

-Mario Kart 7

-Super Smash Bros.

-Mario Golf: World Tour

-LoZ Four Swords Anniversary

-LoZ Link Between Worlds

-Pokemon X

-Super Mario 3D Land

-I tried the F2P games and didn't get into them.

Any gems I've overlooked?

Edited by Eggdodger

Kid Icarus Uprising: I'll give it a chance if/when I get a New 3DS (I'm contemplating giving my friend my old one-- it'll be his first Nintendo console)

Kirby Triple Deluxe: I loved Kirby's Adventure! If you'd personally played it, I would ask more about it.

Tomodachi Life: That'd be amusing for a while, but I can't find it cheap enough to justify the real lack of replay value (from what I've heard)

Retro City Rampage: Don't know a lot about this one other than it's a bit like classic GTA. Maybe.

Star Fox 64 3D: Physical copies are rare nowadays, and I've played the original to death. I could boot it up right now if I wanted to. Otherwise, thanks for the suggestion! Download Play multiplayer is always a plus.

SMT 4: Truth be told, I wanted this as soon as it was released on 3DS! Not sure how I forgot about it. I've wanted to get into the series for a while. It's on sale on the eShop right now, in fact; hmmm....

KTD is a down scaled of return to dreamland (which that game was good).

That's odd, considering Return to Dreamland was 4-player co-op and is $20 if you download it on Wii U, and Triple Deluxe sits full price at $35 with just a couple more modes. Thanks for letting me know.

I've heard monster hunter 4 takes a while to get through and is a fantastic ride. plus when you get back to internet you can co-op.

I know Gibby has it, so maybe. That should sell it right there, huh?

Hmmm. I really want Triforce Heroes when it comes out on the 23rd. Maybe I should wait for that? At the same time, I want to try out Murasame Castle; it's essentially like if you took the puzzles out of 2D Zelda and made 2D Zelda combat fun.

I definitely want games with emphasis on co-op or multiplayer, so naturally I was excited for Triforce Heroes and Federation Force when they were announced. I have two friends that would love to play TH with me.

Fire Emblem Awakening's #3 on my list of 3DS games that I've played the longest, so I'd recommend that. Another game I recommend is Etrian Odyssey IV, an RPG where you go through labyrinths and make your own maps. If you can pick it up, Tales of the Abyss is a classic as well and has the best story out of the three.

• Like 1

Since ye have pokemon x, why not get pokemon oras?  Mega camerupt bro. 

And what SirRob said. Fire emblem is quite good. It's my favorite franchise.

Then ye can also grab bravely default of ye want some old school style jrpg. 

And of course, if ye love the music of final fanatsy, which I do, ye can get theatrythm final fantasy curtain call. I've played that for hours. Simple storyline but the music really is amazing. Nostalgia builder. 

Codename steam too. Haven't played much of it yet but it looks great so far. Which reminds me to finish this gane already.

Of ye have the new 3ds tho, ye should really getxenoblade chronicles. It's the only exclusive so far. 

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is good but really grindy. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it! I have it too, we can start a Peeko monster hunter club.

Bravely Default is supposed to be really good, like old school Final Fantasy. Big emphasis on the job system from what I've heard, but I haven't played it myself.

I'll recommend Fire Emblem: Awakening as well.

Dillon's Rolling Western might be worth a shot; I couldn't get all of the way through it but it's a pretty unique action/tower defense hybrid sort of thing.

also smash 4

I kind of found the entire Tales series was really just awful in general with the handheld ones I've played (Abyss/Innocence) being the weakest. If I could recommend any JRPG, Etrian Odyssey was pretty fun. It's just a bit slower. If you like Legend of Grimlock its one of those RPG's. 

• Like 1

That's weird, I've never really heard much bad stuff about Tales of the Abyss. Other than, eww, it's a jrpg!

-30fps on the overworld

-freerunning is broken

-characters models look like shit

-game is very glitchy

-Everything looks bland/washed out

-You can cheese the whole game with Guy

-Shitty writing (It's ending)

-Shitty cast (Tear, Anise, Natalia, Jade, every antagonist who isn't Asch.)

-Hard, mania mode .etc does not make the enemy AI smarter, only stronger 

-Overlimit gets full way too often.

Edited by Imperial Impact
  • Like 1

I love Monster Hunter 4U. I've played a couple hundred hours by this point. However, I wouldn't recommend it if your not going to be able to play online or with friends.

Other than that play Majora's Mask 3D and I'll vouch for Fire Emblem Awakening being great too.

-30fps on the overworld

-freerunning is broken

-characters models look like shit

-game is very glitchy

-Everything looks bland/washed out

-You can cheese the whole game with Guy

-Shitty writing (It's ending)

-Shitty cast (Tear, Anise, Natalia, Jade, every antagonist who isn't Asch.)

-Hard, mania mode .etc does not make the enemy AI smarter, only stronger 

-Overlimit gets full way too often.

The only thing I would agree with is the difficulty modes (although that's hardly an issue) and Anise being a pile of garbage. You're not gonna be running into glitches or abusing game mechanics on a casual playthrough

Shovel Knight is awesome, definitely try that.

Ocarina of Time 3D is really good too, try get that if you haven't already played it on the Wii or N64 or whatever. Same for Majora's Mask 3D.

The 3D Classics version of Kirby's Adventure is great too. It's basically just a port of the NES version with 3D added, but the game itself is great regardless.

You can get the Gameboy's version of Tetris on the 3DS too, that's good for wasting time.

VVVVVV is fucking great too, definitely get that. It's got lots of platforming puzzles so you'll spend a lot of time on it.

Bit Trip Saga is a pretty fun rhythm game too.

The only thing I would agree with is the difficulty modes (although that's hardly an issue) and Anise being a pile of garbage. You're not gonna be running into glitches or abusing game mechanics on a casual playthrough

they hate us cause they anise

Assuming you didn't play the DS version, Devil Survivor Overclocked. Its like if you took Fire Emblem and combined it with SMT. Its pretty gud. Its even mission based which is perfect for on the go play. Also has lots of options that affect your endings so its good for replayability.

Besides that, Etrian Odyssey Untold is pretty great, and unlike other Etrian games it has an actual storyline and characters so it might be easier for you to get in over other titles in the series. Gameplay is comparable to SMT Nocturne in terms of how you must use skills in battle. Lots of buff and debuff usage. Map-making can be tedious, but there's an option to automap most everything, so you can just focus on the dungeon crawling. Also the OST is gr8. 

Also, OP, I would not recommend MH4 unless you have already tried and like the MH series. Its very....Well, I got it and I don't like it. A large portion of the combat is just following a monster through different areas slowly wearing him down, at least from what I've noticed. Its very tedious.

Edited by Battlechili

I only have 3 3DS games but I've only owned it for a few months, and I have plans to add like 20+ games to my library. Currently all I own are Devil Survivor Overclocked, Etrian Odyssey Untold, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I don't like Monster Hunter.

For me the 3DS is like the second coming of the PS2. I just wish it had a higher resolution.

Edited by Battlechili

Damn it you just made me realize I am in the same boat except I only have 2 games for my 3DS.  Fuck I have wasted my money.

I've returned more games for my 3DS honestly. I had Mario Kart 7, Paper Mario, Pokemon X, Sonic Lost World, and a few others, but I got rid of them in like 3 days. Kid Icarus was the only game I had for like a year.

Link Between Worlds tho...golden.

For me the 3DS is like the second coming of the PS2. I just wish it had a higher resolution.

When you said this, it reminded me that Dragon Quest VIII is eventually getting released for 3DS in North America! The thought of that makes me very happy.

Is there something I don't know about SMT x Fire Emblem? I saw the trailer and it looked okay. I guess I'm just weeb trash for being okay with that.

Well....SMT is a series of really hard RPGs with generally dark settings about summoning and fighting demons and making allegiances with God or Satan among other things. Fire Emblem is a series of medieval fantasy tactical RPGs. And the end result was something barely resembling either. This was the original trailer they advertised with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5-EIzDtKo . It wound up being nothing like what people thought it would be from the advertisement.

EDIT: Sorry OP for getting way off topic on your thread. If you want more recommendations...Well, Rune Factory 4 looks like a good one to go for.

Edited by Battlechili

Oh man, I was pretty sure Horii confirmed a localization. Darn.

Well, not the first time Square's been stingy with DQ localizations. I've abandoned hope of ever playing Dragon Quest X.

I'm going to need a bigger SD card if I want to get SMT IV digitally (and I do because it's cheaper on the eShop than a cartridge would be). Perhaps I'll go ahead and get it before the sale ends and order a 64 gig SD card. I plan on getting more games later, anyways.

Edited by Eggdodger

I played a demo for Etrian Odyssy (I can't spell today, sorry) and it hurt my eyes so bad. I'm also agreeing with Fire Emblem.

Have you tried Happy Home Designer yet? If you like the customization from AC, you'd probably enjoy it.

It's not out yet but Super Mystery Dungeon is going to be the bomb! Gates to Infinity was decent but not nearly as good as the previous games.

Make sure you convert your card if you get anything larger than a 32gb. I coverted a 64 for my bf and it took all night because his comp is dumb.

I played a demo for Etrian Odyssy (I can't spell today, sorry) and it hurt my eyes so bad. I'm also agreeing with Fire Emblem.

Have you tried Happy Home Designer yet? If you like the customization from AC, you'd probably enjoy it.

It's not out yet but Super Mystery Dungeon is going to be the bomb! Gates to Infinity was decent but not nearly as good as the previous games.

Make sure you convert your card if you get anything larger than a 32gb. I coverted a 64 for my bf and it took all night because his comp is dumb.

I want Happy Home Designer, but I need a way to scan the amiibo cards first (either with the peripheral they're releasing soon or getting a New 3DS)

They finally zoomed back out! Gates to Infinity was killed by the FOV being way too small, making it hard to strategize when you walked into a room; no way to fight until the enemy's right on you. They'd better bring sticks and stones back. Those were my bread and butter in Explorers of Sky.

Yeah, I know to convert my card. Thanks, though. I just figured that if it's just a few dollars more, why not?

Basically anything with zelda in the title is a safe bet

New super mario bros 2 is pretty fun if you like platformers and don't mind that the "new super mario bros" series is a bit stale at this point. It has a fun streetpass mode where you race through 3 levels and try to set/beat coin high scores.

Resident evil revelations is really good if you don't have the console port of it

You mentioned tomodachi life, and that game is actually pretty entertaining in short bursts. If you can, try and get the eshop version since it works better if you just launch it from the dashboard and play for like 20min while waiting somewhere and not worrying about the cartridge

you like the animal crossing series quite a bit so i would bet that the harvest moon series would suit you. My personal recommendation is a new beginning and rune factory 4.... the opening theme on RF4 (holy hell is it good).

also if your wanting to play monster hunter 4U, i got the game so i could play with you if you want. I'm only a Skype message away.

Also, if you got your hands on a new 3ds like i did PLAY XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3D!!!!!!!!!!! This game is arguably one of my favourite rpg games ever! Its such a big and pretty game for the 3ds....its soo huge. It kinda brings back the exploration wonder that the NES zelda game used to have.

Basically anything with zelda in the title is a safe bet

New super mario bros 2 is pretty fun if you like platformers and don't mind that the "new super mario bros" series is a bit stale at this point. It has a fun streetpass mode where you race through 3 levels and try to set/beat coin high scores.

Resident evil revelations is really good if you don't have the console port of it

You mentioned tomodachi life, and that game is actually pretty entertaining in short bursts. If you can, try and get the eshop version since it works better if you just launch it from the dashboard and play for like 20min while waiting somewhere and not worrying about the cartridge

I love NSMB! The wall jumps and ground pounds make it really fun. Only problem I have with NSMB2 is the multiplayer issues (lack of the freaking awesome versus mode that was in the original and the camera issues), and from the reviews I've read, level designs are a bit uninspired. Otherwise I'd definitely get it; the mechanics around coins sound right up my alley.