Rant: Nostalgia Critic

Ratmomma

Now, the guy does give me some laughs and can be pretty damn entertaining, but I got a bone to pick with you, boy. If you're going to review a movie, you should probably educate yourself about everything it deals with first. Case in point: his review on the movie Twister. Now I know the movie isn't exactly scientifically 100% accurate, because Hollywood, but he doesn't have a damn clue about how tornadoes can operate. He goes on about how the first F5 tornado and how it's unreal that tornadoes can strike one point and ignore another, or 'chase after' a person. Dude, that's the nature of tornadoes: they hop and skip around. They 'chase' you seemingly, because they're FUCKING MASSIVE. There's nowhere you can go during a super cell t-storm that spawns a tornado that WON'T make it seem like the tornado is following you, if indeed you're not taking action to move away from the tornado (which isn't recommended as they can change direction p-damn fast).

Or in his review of The Exorcist 2: The Heretic how he goes on about the people saying the name of the Demon over and over... Well, maybe that's because it's the name of the fucking demon, and the reason the name of the demon is said is because it gives the person power over the demon (yeh boi Catholics); if you can identify the demon, it no longer has great power over you.

Additionally, I find the older reviews much more entertaining that his newer bowel movements. The new ones seem to focus more on his antics rather than the damn review itself. It clashes so much with the review that it becomes too distracting.

inb4 flame war and GO BITCH ON YEWTOOB

• Like 1

I actually think he's gotten slightly better after his fiasco of a retirement, but I wouldn't call him that funny anymore. I only watch reviews of movies I've already seen or have no intention of seeing.

The sketches are a bit too many.

Retirement fiasco? Sounds lulzy 8) 

I do the same thing as far as watching his stuff goes. His review of 'The Room' was a fucking gold mine of lulz for me :'D

The sketches...ugh..

Retirement fiasco? Sounds lulzy 8) 

I do the same thing as far as watching his stuff goes. His review of 'The Room' was a fucking gold mine of lulz for me :'D

The sketches...ugh..

Don't you remember. After that movie "To Boldly Flee" he claimed to be done with the Nostalgia Critic and moved onto a new series called Demo Reel... that only lasted for about a few months, then he decided to do Nostalgia Critic again, rofl.

It's possible he genuinely wanted to do more, but the question is if it's because of inspiration or if he just wanted to make more money again. To his credit I think his videos have gotten just a tiny bit better, I remember thinking he was dreadful around the time he "retired".

Edited by Kellie Gator

Meh. Out of the ''League of Super Critics'' the only ones I like are the AVGN and Angry Joe. The latter though... I am starting to like him less and less. Can't think what for right now though

The Nostalgia Critic is discreet to me, nothing more. I am often annoyed by his (IMHO) obnoxious voice

The Nostalgia Critic is discreet to me, nothing more. I am often annoyed by his (IMHO) obnoxious voice

Watch Red Letter Media (Mr. Plinkett) reviewing Star Wars episodes I, II and III. You'll either find the entire thing hilarious, or his voice will turn you into a quivering bowl of biomatter.

• Like 2

Some of his videos are okay, but there are quite a lot where he misses the point. Like in Bridge of Terabithia, he misses the complete point about the supporting characters and the main point of the movie. Other times the sketches can be absolutely pointless for some of the reviews. 

I do like his commerical reviews. And the review of the room.

• Like 3

I kind of lost all respect for his opinions as a critic when he put down Sailor Moon just for being "girly shit," without knowing absolutely anything about the source material, or the Japanese version, or basically anything past the first season.
It's like he spent all of ten seconds watching one of the DiC eps, and formed an entire opinion on that alone.

I lost interest in his show as a whole when he kept forcing unfunny skit garbage in it.

Jesuotaku and... I forget the dude's name. He did all the King's Quest reviews.
Those were the only two I really found tolerable on any kind of level later on in the site.
And then I just stopped paying attention to it altogether.

• Like 2

Watch Red Letter Media (Mr. Plinkett) reviewing Star Wars episodes I, II and III. You'll either find the entire thing hilarious, or his voice will turn you into a quivering bowl of biomatter.

I FUCKING LOVE MR. PLINKETT

Don't you remember. After that movie "To Boldly Flee" he claimed to be done with the Nostalgia Critic and moved onto a new series called Demo Reel... that only lasted for about a few months, then he decided to do Nostalgia Critic again, rofl.

It's possible he genuinely wanted to do more, but the question is if it's because of inspiration or if he just wanted to make more money again. To his credit I think his videos have gotten just a tiny bit better, I remember thinking he was dreadful around the time he "retired".

So he pulled a Brett Favre, lol. 

Honestly, it was probably to keep money coming in. The visual quality of his videos have improved thanks to investing in better quality equipment, but the sketches... way too damn much.

8 hours ago,  Ozriel said:

Some of his videos are okay, but there are quite a lot where he misses the point. Like in Bridge of Terabithia, he misses the complete point about the supporting characters and the main point of the movie. Other times the sketches can be absolutely pointless for some of the reviews. 

I do like his commerical reviews. And the review of the room.

My man just put on NC's top 11 things that came from the star wars prequels, and I swear to god I could have thrown the fucking TV out the window. He misses the point on literally every single one of his 'points'. He went on about how it was cool to see Yoda fighting with a light sabre, but Yoda's character should be above that, and forcing him to fucking fight with a baby stick completely shatters everything he stood for in the original star wars movies >____>

But his review of The Room was fucking hilarious :'D

8 hours ago,  Vae said:

I kind of lost all respect for his opinions as a critic when he put down Sailor Moon just for being "girly shit," without knowing absolutely anything about the source material, or the Japanese version, or basically anything past the first season.
It's like he spent all of ten seconds watching one of the DiC eps, and formed an entire opinion on that alone.

I lost interest in his show as a whole when he kept forcing unfunny skit garbage in it.

Jesuotaku and... I forget the dude's name. He did all the King's Quest reviews.
Those were the only two I really found tolerable on any kind of level later on in the site.
And then I just stopped paying attention to it altogether.

He tends to do that a lot IMO, in reference to completely not having a clue about the source material, and it drives me nuts. If you're going to review something, have the brains enough to fucking research the source material.

And the skit crap...ugh. And the constant forced memes (ex: I was frozen today). The guy is more Milhouse than Milhouse himself.

12 hours ago,  Amiir said:

Meh. Out of the ''League of Super Critics'' the only ones I like are the AVGN and Angry Joe. The latter though... I am starting to like him less and less. Can't think what for right now though

AVGN is still pretty damn decent, IMO.

So I've never seen any of these (largely because I don't care what youtubers think of anything). Figured I'd look it up, saw an episode on Event Horizon and figured whatever, I know this film so I'll go with that.

The first few minutes are so obnoxious I'm not even going to find out what they have to say about the movie.

• Like 1

There are a few vids I agree with him, like the Last Airbender for starters, and how Shamalamadingdong took work that was readily available and used "artistic liberty"  and shat on it. I know stuffing a season's worth of shit into a 2 hour movie ain't easy, but come on!

I used to watch NC back when he was one YT and I was young enough to think screaming incoherently and waving around plastic guns was the height of comedy. He only got more and more unfunny over time as he become more and more desperate and everyone on TGWTG save for a select few (last time I checked Brad Jones, and the 'Rap Critic') are and always have been utter trash. Seriously try reading the TvTropes page for Linkara's "story", it's one of the most mind numbingly autistic things I've ever read.

Also he's responsible for "The Super Villain Shuffle" which is in itself a crime against humanity.

RLM introduced me to the magic of Japanese language Christian cult videos. And Rich Evans' laugh.

Time to go in the refrigerator!

tfw no rich evans bf to live on a goat farm with during the rapture

• Like 3

AVGN is still pretty damn decent, IMO.

AVGN got on my nerves from pretty early on, too. Just because he's less of a critic, and more of a character.
A lot of it's just overblown raging for dumb reasons.

If I wanted to watch people react to shitty games, I'd just watch Game Grumps,
or Vinesauce,
or Two Best Friends or something.

Edited by Vae

After he retired, he just lost all charm. He wanted to do more skit stuff (which I loathed when the likes of Linkara and the other channel awesomers did) and he's especially unfunny in them. He flew too close to the sun. And like Vae stated, his Sailor Moon review was just lazy. That's a turnoff. 

Also, I hate to use this word...but...is it just me or is he kinda...a SJW? But not a funny one like the Nostalgia Chick (who I love and miss to this very day. And sweet Nella <3) and he's clearly a fake one. We know you're a douche, Doug, don't hide it with your fake feminist love and patronizing views on race relations. Just make fun of nostalgic shit like you used to, you aren't as big as you think you are. We just wanna laugh. 

And those "actors" he hired. The only funny one is the short fat one. The others need to go. 

• Like 1

But not a funny one like the Nostalgia Chick (who I love and miss to this very day. And sweet Nella <3)

Aww I didn't realise she had stopped doing Nostalgia Chick now, granted not been on the that site or watched her or Doug's stuff for a while. I just had a quick look then and her last video was January, I'm a sad Bear now :(

Edited by Naesaki
  • Like 1

Aww I didn't realise she had stopped doing Nostalgia Chick now, granted not been on the that site or watched her or Doug's stuff for a while. I just had a quick look then and her last video was January, I'm a sad Bear now :(

she's gone on to bigger things I think. But it is a shame for us fans. U.u

she's gone on to bigger things I think. But it is a shame for us fans. U.u

Just been catching up on a bit and the future does look very bright for her, my favourite reviews or videos she did was it when it involved Mara Wilson....So I loved her review of Matilda the most :P granted one of my favourite films as a kid

Edited by Naesaki

AVGN got on my nerves from pretty early on, too. Just because he's less of a critic, and more of a character.A lot of it's just overblown raging for dumb reasons.

If I wanted to watch people react to shitty games, I'd just watch Game Grumps,
or Vinesauce,
or Two Best Friends or something.

Eh, I find his raging entertaining.

fffffffsshhhhh I love Game Grumps :'D My favorite moment is Arin's epic meltdown when him and Jon were playing Sonic 06, and Knuckles glitches in the volcano.

"YOU GOTTA DRAW A LINE IN THE SAND. YOU GOTTA MAKE A STATEMENT. YOU GOTTA SAY 'WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?' NOT FUCKIN' THIS!"

After he retired, he just lost all charm. He wanted to do more skit stuff (which I loathed when the likes of Linkara and the other channel awesomers did) and he's especially unfunny in them. He flew too close to the sun. And like Vae stated, his Sailor Moon review was just lazy. That's a turnoff. 

Also, I hate to use this word...but...is it just me or is he kinda...a SJW? But not a funny one like the Nostalgia Chick (who I love and miss to this very day. And sweet Nella <3) and he's clearly a fake one. We know you're a douche, Doug, don't hide it with your fake feminist love and patronizing views on race relations. Just make fun of nostalgic shit like you used to, you aren't as big as you think you are. We just wanna laugh. 

And those "actors" he hired. The only funny one is the short fat one. The others need to go. 

He's a fail SJW...SJWs in general need to gtfo and go rot in the bowels of Tumblr, where they'll fight with one another and a couple trolls until they've raged themselves into extinction.

Eh, I find his raging entertaining..

The one thing about James Rolf I've always appreciated especially in comparison to the various "angry" reviewers is that he knows when to actually break character and talk like a normal human being. Also unlike Doug "Dances with Whales" Walker, he isn't a completely shameless, desperate, pandering failure of a human being.

• Like 3

The one thing about James Rolf I've always appreciated especially in comparison to the various "angry" reviewers is that he knows when to actually break character and talk like a normal human being. Also unlike Doug "Dances with Whales" Walker, he isn't a completely shameless, desperate, pandering failure of a human being.

Your comment made me laugh so ridiculously hard :'D 

But I totally agree.

Did you see the pre-school play-quality set design of Pop Quiz Hotshot? Indiegogo $80k, likely gone to pay off Mike Michaud and Rob Walker's debt. Hmm, sounds familiar...

• Like 1

Did you see the pre-school play-quality set design of Pop Quiz Hotshot? Indiegogo $80k, likely gone to pay off Mike Michaud and Rob Walker's debt. Hmm, sounds familiar...

??

This thing right here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPkGfHAxqU I got a few minutes into it and am scratching my head as to how the fuck that was worth 80-90k

Edited by Ratmomma
  • Like 1

??

This thing right here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPkGfHAxqU I got a few minutes into it and am scratching my head as to how the fuck that was worth 80-90k

Same question as to where the money went for Neer's gofundme campaign. They spent some of the money on sharpies and plywood, and the rest to pay off their mortgages.

Edited by Calemeyr

I like NC and his crew a great deal. He doesn't always hit the bullseye, but he's consistently thoughtful and funny, and his videos have improved dramatically over the years.

He's also one of the very few reviewers whose skits are actually funny and engaging, rather than annoying or cloying. (Diamanda Hagan's little skits are also generally good.)

I'm less fond of MarzGirl, Blockbuster Buster, and Film Brain because they do tend to be overly nerdy in a way that's hard to describe--in particular, their "nerd rage" comes across as melodramatic, contrived, and overwrought. Does this make sense?

Love Leon Thomas. Great critiques. Also enjoy Mike J. The Cinema Snob's very witty, and I enjoy his character.

Eh, I watch a lot of YouTube critics and reviews mostly for stuff I wouldn't care to watch/play myself.  Nostalgia Critic still has some good moments in that regard.  Cinemassacre/AVGN and Caddicarus still put out good stuff occasionally, too.