Should I see a doctor about this?

Alexxx-Returns

So for as long as I've cared to notice (that is, I NOTICED this happening when I was 19 (I'm 23 now), because I started actually noticing how disgusting my body was, but for all I know it could've been happening for much longer), I bloat up like a fucking zeppelin whenever I eat.

This used to be so bad that I'd bloat to twice my waist size after just my morning cup of tea, but nowadays I think I can manage small amounts of food and drink without it being so bad. But I still generally bloat up to twice my waist size usually. The more I eat, the bigger it gets. The only way to stop this? Just not eat, period. And that's not really a good preventative measure in the long term because 1: people need food, and 2: it's pretty unreliable if I wanna NOT look like I'm pregnant on a specific day.

I know people often bloat but I think I have it pretty bad. How many people do you see going round with a massive pregnancy-style belly who are also slim? It's just not normal. Besides, it REALLY fucking gets me down because it makes me feel fat (even though I'm not), and if you're fat, fair do's you can lose weight. There's NOTHING I can do about this when it happens aside from waiting until the next day or 2 when it goes down. I tried antigas tablets but somehow they make it WORSE.

Here's quite a good picture of how they normally get. I'd been out to eat at a restaurant before this was taken. https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/15906_10205885219942300_5896940924747375986_n.jpg?oh=16a4de6fc0b7a00cdb836803bb49a003&oe=56C95FC6

I don't know what medical grounds this could be on, if any. I thought for a bit that it might be IBS, but I only have 2 other symptoms of that (the abdominal pain (clearly because of the bloating) and the pain during sex/foreplay) but nothing else sprung to mind. I feel like there COULD be a reason for this, and I'd love nothing more than to find out so I can get it treated/learn how to manage it.

Buuuuuuuut I don't know if I SHOULD go to the GP because "mah belly got big". I mean, there are people with cancer and stuff, and there's me whining about my food babies. But I just want to know what the hell is going on.

I'd say yes. Just because you think it's probably nothing doesn't mean it couldn't be a serious medical issue. At the least, they should be able to tell you how to manage whatever is going on.

And uh... not to be creepy, but that's a cute belly haha

Edited by Phausk

X3Alex plz doctors do help with banal stuff just because its not life threatening...and fhose other symptoms seem problematic enough, so it apparently isnt you being worried about physical aesthetic. None of us are doctors, yo.

just saying, people go to the dermatologist for acne or dandruff, not all medical problems are cancer.

...and for the record it really isnt that bad, from the looks of it, I think the only one judging yourself over a bit an inflated belly is you.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

X3Alex plz doctors do help with banal stuff just because its not life threatening...and fhose other symptoms seem problematic enough, so it apparently isnt you being worried about physical aesthetic. None of us are doctors, yo.

just saying, people go to the dermatologist for acne or dandruff, not all medical problems are cancer.

...and for the record it really isnt that bad, from the looks of it, I think the only one judging yourself over a bit an inflated belly is you.

I should mention I don't get the stomach-area pain all the time, it's just occasionally. Like, if I'm feeling under a lot of pressure and get stressed and shit, or if I do a lot of stuff after eating, ya know?

I know, but, I'm under a LOT of pressure to be attractive at the moment, being the ugliest girl on my course doesn't help matters either.

One of my college friends had this happen to her regularly, and she not-so-affectionately named it her alien baby. She promptly went to the doctor and took medication(s) for it. I don't remember if it turned out to be IBS or something else, but it was pretty serious. I would go to a doctor and eat a meal right before the appointment so they can see how bad it gets, but that's just me.

Edited by Llamapotamus

I have the same problem.
Doctors used that xray thing you use to look at fetus on me, they found nothing.
So, I tried solving my problem with Gas X.
Later on I started bleeding alot when I tried to poop. The primary Doctor said it was hemorrhoids and the ER Doctor said that it was constipation. None of their pills or creams solved my problem. So, I'm still living with being constantly bloated and in pain when going to the bathroom. 

You might want to try more.

Yes, go to the doctor. This could be an indicator of a really bad imbalance of certain gut flora, or this might not be bloating and could be a serious autoimmune inflammatory response. When you start bulging in places you shouldn't, GO TO A DOCTOR.

Actually, better advice. If you need to ask *US* if you need to see a doctor, you need to see a doctor.

And for the love of God, don't rely on Web MD, whatever you do. (as far as I can see that has not happened in this thread)

Asking yourself if you should see a doctor about something is usually a sign that you should totally se a doctor about it. :x

I stand by this post and echo its sentiment:

If you are asking the question of whether or not to go to the doctor, then you should go to the doctor. Play it safe when your health is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Had my appointment today re: bloating with one of the nurses. Had an examination and gave some samples and it's all being investigated for IBS. Been booked in for an appointment with one of the doctors in a couple of weeks after the results come back from the samples.

I'm really glad I went now, I was scared it wouldn't be taken seriously. I've also been given some advice on the kind of diets that can prevent bloating if I DO have IBS.

• Like 1

Update.

Had my appointment today re: bloating with one of the nurses. Had an examination and gave some samples and it's all being investigated for IBS. Been booked in for an appointment with one of the doctors in a couple of weeks after the results come back from the samples.

I'm really glad I went now, I was scared it wouldn't be taken seriously. I've also been given some advice on the kind of diets that can prevent bloating if I DO have IBS.

good. I hope it'll all be alright in the end. not eating is not healthy.

Update 2:

Got a phonecall today about the tests. Tests came back negative for Coeliac, which I thought would be the case because it really doesn't sound like me. The most likely thing is IBS, they said, so I got prescribed some tablets that I take before food that should help things. Appointment has been pushed back by a week so I can see how they go for a week and then review it. Found the gluten/wheat-free bread in the store so I'm gonna see if that helps too.

Blood test also found out I'm slightly anaemic which is interesting. You never know these things until you get tested for them, huh.