My cat died.....

Misomie

12006122_699014890229312_909900368325711

Rest in peace Dakota.

Found him before work today in my mudroom when I was dropping off my puppies. I at first assumed it was caused by a raccoon but after I calmed down a bit I realized it was much too clean to be an animal kill.

After some research I'm pretty sure it was caused by a car and that someone brought him in or he had one of those instakillers (heart attack, stroke, anurism, ect). I want to know for sure but a necropsy would be just too expensive. I'm looking into having his pelt preserved so I can make something to honor him or just so I can pet and cuddle him still.

Poor guy was only eight years old and I miss him so much already. He was one of my best friends. I've been crying for hours now. I had to hold it in at work but now I'm just letting it all out. :(

424497_102620069868800_260216215_n.thumb10631217_532476336883169_723108801247428734513_281291105335028_1192466665_n.thum

• Like 2

*hugs* I'm so very sorry to hear of this! Made me cry. I lost my cat 2 years ago to a car (in front of me too) she was 6. The bastards aimed at her.

Your cat looked like he was a beautiful little boy. Such lovely markings. RIP Dakota. Have fun in feline heaven. A nice looking cat like you will sure find friends quickly - maybe even my cat Minx. Say hi to her for me. 

My condolences Misomie  

Edited by GemWolf

He reminds me so much of my cat Moose, im very sorry for your loss

If you need any advice on how to skin and tan him, let me know. In the meantime, i would suggest bagging him and putting him in your freezer until you are ready for that (both equipment wise and emotionally)

I will be doing the same for my cats when they go

oh my god! Do you not have any kind of respect in that empty heart of yours? 

Man you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting an offended person. Empty? Na. My heart pumps about 5 liters. Any empty space or air would cause.. I dunno, a stroke or something? 

8 years is far too young for such a pretty boy. :<

I know. I was expecting him to be around for a good eight more.

He's adorable. I'm sorry that you've lost him.

Yeah,he was such an awesome cat.

*hugs* I'm so very sorry to hear of this! Made me cry. I lost my cat 2 years ago to a car (in front of me too) she was 6. The bastards aimed at her.

Your cat looked like he was a beautiful little boy. Such lovely markings. RIP Dakota. Have fun in feline heaven. A nice looking cat like you will sure find friends quickly - maybe even my cat Minx. Say hi to her for me. 

My condolences Misomie  

That's the worst. It's a shame those kind of people exist. Accidents are one thing but just mowing down pets with a car is another.

Such a place existing sure would be nice. It's times like this when I really hope there is an afterlife.

He reminds me so much of my cat Moose, im very sorry for your loss

If you need any advice on how to skin and tan him, let me know. In the meantime, i would suggest bagging him and putting him in your freezer until you are ready for that (both equipment wise and emotionally)

I will be doing the same for my cats when they go

I was going to have a professional do it so I don't mess up. Working on the pelt after though is something I feel comfortable with. Putting him in the freezer was one of the first things I did after work (I had limited time so I placed him in the laundry room so I could examine him when i got back).

I'd like a full mount but they are too pricey at this time. 

oh my god! Do you not have any kind of respect in that empty heart of yours? 

Just ignore 'em.

Edited by Misomie
  • Like 1

I'm sorry about your cat. No matter how many pets you have it never gets easier to lose one.

I lost one of mine to Feline Leukemia when he was only 4, it was a hard thing to go through. Harder I think, than when my dog died of old age. Though I was devastated to lose my dog he had a long life and went peacefully, when they die young it's harder.

• Like 1

I'm sorry about your cat. No matter how many pets you have it never gets easier to lose one.

I lost one of mine to Feline Leukemia when he was only 4, it was a hard thing to go through. Harder I think, than when my dog died of old age. Though I was devastated to lose my dog he had a long life and went peacefully, when they die young it's harder.

Agreed. At least when they are old you know they lived a full life. It's so much easier (at least for me) when you are expecting them to pass. Gives you time to say goodbye and ease into it.

• Like 1

</3 I'm so sorry, Misomie :( *offers hugs* I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved critter.. My critters of choice are domestic rats, which only live to be 2-3yrs old, so it's a sadly common thing in my life. I love them all dearly, and despite the short lifespan, i keep adopting and/or rescuing them anyway, because I'm the best damn rat mommy in the fucking universe :U

• Like 2

Agreed. At least when they are old you know they lived a full life. It's so much easier (at least for me) when you are expecting them to pass. Gives you time to say goodbye and ease into it.

My oldest rattie, Rose, is 2yrs, 5mo. She's got 2 mammary tumors and is in the beginning stages of hind leg paralysis (which B12 has thankfully appeared to have slowed the progression of). She could pass away at any moment, really, so I try to remember that I've given her the best life she could possibly have.

It's harder when they're ripped away from you though, especially when they're young. Rose's sister, Opal, went in for a mass removal and never woke up </3 She had some sort of deformation with her ribcage or chest that apparently messed with her heart, and Rose has a similar defect, which is why I've chosen not to put her thru surgery..because I know the odds of her waking up are very much against her due to the defect and due to her geriatric age.

Fucking hell, cannot talk about this shit without crying....so yeah... I definitely feel for you, and my heart goes out to you :c

@Phausk- Yup, I have lots of pics, most are on my pc (since it is a pain to use, I pulled my favorite ones from Facebook). I'll post some others in a few days when I go to grab them all. The guy loved having his picture taken, lol.

@WolfNightV4X1- I tend to have an easier time when I've had them longer or at least when I lose them when they're older.

@Ratmomma- I've lost some sad rats myself. My childhood rat, Doris, was awesome and I took her everywhere (even bike riding). She eventually got sick and I had to bottlefeed her for the last few weeks. I think she was at least three years old. 

I didn't know that leg paralysis was a common thing. My other favorite rat, Reggie, had that happen and I thought he broke his back from falling out of his loft bed. I didn't have him as long as Doris but I did take him camping one year in his travel cage. :)

@Phausk- Yup, I have lots of pics, most are on my pc (since it is a pain to use, I pulled my favorite ones from Facebook). I'll post some others in a few days when I go to grab them all. The guy loved having his picture taken, lol.

@WolfNightV4X1- I tend to have an easier time when I've had them longer or at least when I lose them when they're older.

@Ratmomma- I've lost some sad rats myself. My childhood rat, Doris, was awesome and I took her everywhere (even bike riding). She eventually got sick and I had to bottlefeed her for the last few weeks. I think she was at least three years old. 

I didn't know that leg paralysis was a common thing. My other favorite rat, Reggie, had that happen and I thought he broke his back from falling out of his loft bed. I didn't have him as long as Doris but I did take him camping one year in his travel cage. :)

I'd take my babies around with me if I wasn't so paranoid about someone messing with them... then again, my youngest did get mites just from my going to the local pet store (where I get their treats and chew toys...something in there had mites, which got onto my clothing and then onto my little one, so now all four are being treated with Revolution).

I was going to have a professional do it so I don't mess up. Working on the pelt after though is something I feel comfortable with. Putting him in the freezer was one of the first things I did after work (I had limited time so I placed him in the laundry room so I could examine him when i got back).

Many taxidermists feel a bit ehhh about working with pets because they feel that they can't always truly re-create a pet, as the owner knew them.
One very good taxidermist who works with pets (I don't know if he does it on commission though) is Daniel M on taxidermy.net

If you do skin him (to safe freezer space), remember to have him skin-to-skin (fur out) and roll up tight

@Misomie I'm sorry your wonderful Dakota is gone. I think his markings were gorgeous and the photographs you shared show what a fun and outgoing companion he was. I'm glad he knew your love and care in this too-short time on this planet. So long as you keep his memory there will always be a small part of him that lives on.

He was a prety cool cat. I found some old pics from when he was around two years old and in them he's chilling on top of the computer (he'd hang out there when I would use it instead of in the way). That's true, plus I have already made a few things inspired by him when I was younger and I'll continue to do so.

Many taxidermists feel a bit ehhh about working with pets because they feel that they can't always truly re-create a pet, as the owner knew them.One very good taxidermist who works with pets (I don't know if he does it on commission though) is Daniel M on taxidermy.net

If you do skin him (to safe freezer space), remember to have him skin-to-skin (fur out) and roll up tight

That's what I heard but some were just so pretty. I'll probably just get the pelt, I don't want him in the freezer too long. Keeping him in there for more than a month or so seems kinda mean.

That's what I heard but some were just so pretty. I'll probably just get the pelt, I don't want him in the freezer too long. Keeping him in there for more than a month or so seems kinda mean.

dunnoif it helps or not but i dont think its mean, maybe you just need time to prepare yourself

i have my bird inthe freezer. still not sure what im gonna do with her.

Do you guys keep dead animals in the same freezer as your food?

My bird is, yes. Wild animals, no.

I have my bird tied up in multiple bags, she is a tiny budgie and did not die of disease.

Would this be much different from me keeping a whole, unskinned, frozen rabbit in my freezer that i plan to eat later?
both are raised cleanly and are free of disease and parasites.

Edited by Gamedog
  • Like 1

My bird is, yes. Wild animals, no.

I have my bird tied up in multiple bags, she is a tiny budgie and did not die of disease.

Would this be much different from me keeping a whole, unskinned, frozen rabbit in my freezer that i plan to eat later?
both are raised cleanly and are free of disease and parasites.

I suppose so. I'm not used to seeing entire animals in a freezer lol

dunnoif it helps or not but i dont think its mean, maybe you just need time to prepare yourself

i have my bird inthe freezer. still not sure what im gonna do with her.

I'll think about it then. Might get a separate freezer for him (one of those mini ones). 

I have my crawdad in the freezer as well but for him I was waiting for the ground to be easier to dig up. My bond wasn't nearly as strong with him so the wait didn't feel too bad. 

I suppose so. I'm not used to seeing entire animals in a freezer lol

That's why the bags aren't see-through. : P

Joking aside, I barely keep anything in my freezer anyways.

I skinned out a feral cat today and I thought about some advice I should have given here. Remember that if your cat is frozen solid, he will take a while to thaw out, long enough for the fur to start slipping around the belly if not thawed properly. Thaw him out in a cool area, as cold as possible but not freezing.

I skinned out a feral cat today and I thought about some advice I should have given here. Remember that if your cat is frozen solid, he will take a while to thaw out, long enough for the fur to start slipping around the belly if not thawed properly. Thaw him out in a cool area, as cold as possible but not freezing.

So pretty much freezer to fridge like basic food defrosting but slower. So if I buy a mini freezer, I want it to be fully adjustable temp wise so I have perfect control and do it nice and slow. He is a rather large cat so if I do store him longterm I need a better spot.

So pretty much freezer to fridge like basic food defrosting but slower. So if I buy a mini freezer, I want it to be fully adjustable temp wise so I have perfect control and do it nice and slow. He is a rather large cat so if I do store him longterm I need a better spot.

yup youre good to go

just dont thaw out slowly (example, dont just toss him on your back porch to thaw unless its cold out)

some trappers will hang animals up by one limb in a headed garage or shed to thaw and this works too

for my guy, it was below freezing the night i got him and over night it went above freezing, so i just thawed him out naturally that way