Physical of Digital?

yell0wf0x

Physical or Digital?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like your games in physical format (cartridges, discs, etc.) Or full on digital format (downloaded from Psn, Xbox store, eshop, steam, etc.)

• Physical
    • Digital

Polls seem to be quite popular these days. All the cool kids are doing it. So i decided to make one too. For science.. i guess?

So.. As the title says. Physical or digital?

I prefer physical format for my games. It feels so much better to see all my games and their boxes. And I love to collect steelbook editions. So there's that. The biggest turn off i have for digital games is the download times. I live in a place where internet connection is quite slow. So ye can imagine how long it'll take for me before I can finally play a game. If not, then let me tell ye it took me 3 days to download Beyond Two Souls for my PS4. And that's just the partial file so that I can start playing. The additional content took a week to finish downloading. So yeah. Physical for me.

Edited by yell0wf0x

For older games (Gamecube, PS2, N64, etc.), physical. Newer games though... I've been leaning towards digital lately, especially with things such as Steam. It's just more convenient to have all your games in one place like that. Heck, I even bought a game I already had (Impossible Creatures) again digitally, just in case I lose my disc.

Downside to digital is I can't loan my games to anyone. (Not that I really loan my stuff out anymore, but still.)

So I guess my answer is, "Depends on the game."

• Like 2

For games that I really like, I like to have to have the physical box and manual and such, mostly just to look nice on my shelf.  But for most part, I like the convenience of digital and have made digital backups of most of my stuff.  In some cases I even bought digital versions of games when I already have the disc version.

The amount of support digital has horrifies me.

I feel safer with physical versions of games, that I truly own them and that they can't be taken away from me. Plus I love being able to look at a physical collection, to look at the boxart and discart among other things. 

That said, admittedly if a game is for PC I'll just get it digitally and not bother with physical. But otherwise, physical all the way. Even better if its a limited edition release or something. I love my fancy boxes.

Physical because I've had crappy downloads of a game once they have fully downloaded so I wasn't able to play the game properly, leading to deleting and re-downloading, which is always fun.

Oh and digital stuff takes up more space on your system - computer, console, etc.

Edited by NerdyMunk

Digital all the way. They don't take up precious physical space, I don't have to worry about anything getting lost or damaged, and reinstalling everything to a new drive or system is extremely easy. Hell, with a good internet connection even the installation times can be faster with digital, and that's before you consider the time needed to acquire the physical product in the first place.

I purchase physical whenever possible.

I'm still not completely comfortable purchasing mainstream, AAA titles digitally. They're often very pricey, and the downloads are only getting larger. Last I heard, Black Ops III on PC was a 60 GB download, which is absolutely massive. This can be problematic in places where internet data caps are the norm, such as where I live - Australia.

On top of that, I enjoy physically holding and keeping an item that I've bought. It just adds more value to the product, and a better sense of longevity, given the inevitability of digital download services shutting down at some point. Which leads into more concerns over the value of a digital product versus a physical, as in some cases, digital seems to be more comparative to a subscription service, rather than actual product ownership. That said, I'm sticking with physical for as long as it's available.

Physical. Its the same way I feel with books. When I finish a good book, I like putting it on a physical shelf on display. Any I game I like, I feel deserves to go on my shelf. I love the cover designs (even if they don't put any damn manuals in them any more) I love that fresh new opened game smell. That "pop" sound when you first open the case and you see the art of the disc you've been waiting so long to get.

Then, you hear that glorious disk insert sound your console makes, hear it load up, and then its game time~

I like the feel of having a disc and love the smell of a manual, but I hate the clutter associated with non-digital games and the fact that a disc is required to play the game if not downloaded to your PC. If my entire Steam library was in disc form I would probably cry because I would have nowhere to put the vast majority of my games. ;-; I also wouldn't be able to play whatever I want whenever I want because fuck no I am not taking over 200 discs with me to work every day just in case I'm in the mood to play a certain game. Digital is so much easier to keep track of and no disks required!