Second-Hand Smoke

Clove Darkwave

It's atypical of me to whine, but hey we all need a little catharsis sometimes right?

With all of the widespread knowledge of second-hand smoke, why the fuck is it so hard to just not subject people to this? Is it really that hard to be a decent human being? I've met a lot of people who are assholes in my lifetime but there's something special about this.

I was talking to a healthcare worker yesterday to get on track for getting a CT scan of my chest (my doctor is worried I could have a blood clot in my lungs.).

"Do you smoke?"

"No"

"Oh sorry I thought you might from the smoke smell"

Like I'm already having some trouble with breathing would it be so hard to not the asshole that, knowing this, decides to chainsmoke in the middle of the night and fill the rooms of everyone else that lives here with smoke via heater vents while they sleep? I could really not use the additional fucking strain.

Want to move out, need more finances first. Having two jobs would be less harmful than poisoned air every day. Until then I'm trapped.

I hate people.

3 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

As a smoker, I do feel guilty about my secondhand. It's the main reason I prefer vaping. Sure, it isn't any healthier for me, but it at least makes it so people don't have to deal with my secondhand.

Those mouth fedoras are really catching on huh

Just now, Señor Sal said:

When I see people with vapes it makes me irrationally angry, like I just want to shove that thing up their pee pee hole and be one with my business.

I don't know what it is either. Vapers are more annoying, if not worse, than regular smokers. 

1 minute ago, Señor Sal said:

I think it has to do with the smell like it vastly varies and the vapor is more prominent than smoke. Like at least people don't chain smoke in public like they used to.

Where are you living? I rarely see people outside around here unless they have a cigarette.

1 minute ago, Señor Sal said:

I think it has to do with the smell like it vastly varies and the vapor is more prominent than smoke. Like at least people don't chain smoke in public like they used to.

The thing I noticed about vaping is that it becomes an excuse to chain smoke indoors

whereas before a smoker had to go outside to smoke, now it's inside and outside

2 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Where are you living? I rarely see people outside around here unless they have a cigarette.

Hun, public does not only mean outdoors. Public refers to any space that someone may inhibit that is not private land. Most places that allow you inside will not allow you to smoke however are on the fence about vaping. Near Louisville is where I live.

Edited by Señor Sal
Stuff.

Hun, public does not only mean outdoors. Public refers to any space that someone may inhibit that is not private land. Most places that allow you inside will not allow you to smoke however are on the fence about vaping.

That's usually only if you have a small vape that doesn't make huge clouds. Typically if you have a huge cloud-making vape, most business and such will ask you to go outside.

I am not a fan of smelling a mixture of fruit and ass, at least cigarette smoke is familiar.

Welp then, SECONDHAND FOR ALL

I honestly have no gripes with smoking or vaping, I just like to vape for the sake of those who don't like smelling my smoke and such.

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

I dunno about you but I'd rather smell fruit or whatever than cigarettes. And I'm a smoker.

Yeah but most people would rather smell none of that and have you shove that vaporizer up your ass. Don't tell me you use that shit in public. 

@Señor Sal what gets me is how holier than thou vapers are to smokers. 

Although Pipes are cool and classy @Brass

Eh more manageable than cigarettes.  Did you ever fix yours or is it still broken? I could probs send you a corn cob if I have one. 

1 minute ago, Gamedog said:

I don't really give a shit about vaping but I do find it annoying when someone is in the car ahead of you and they're obnoxiously letting it billow out their windows towards you 

I feel like that's a road hazard but there is no way they could produce that much vapor, is there? In the least it has to be distracting to the driver. Which reminds me of how much I hate people who use their phone while driving. 

Just now, Brass said:

I feel like that's a road hazard but there is no way they could produce that much vapor, is there? In the least it has to be distracting to the driver. Which reminds me of how much I hate people who use their phone while driving. 

I swear to god it looks like they've been smoking inside their cars with the windows rolled up for hours

and no, it's not pot, I have a sense of smell

I don't smoke myself buy my parents and my two sisters do. I don't mind smokers at all and the smoke itself doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is that every time I visit my parents all my clothes smell like smoke when I leave again. That kind of makes me uncomfortable, when I start to smell like a smoker just by staying there for a few days.

They also have pets, a dog and two cats. I don't think the smoke from four people is particularly good for them.

1 hour ago, Clove Darkwave said:

-LUNG FUMIGATION RANT-

Start sabotaging their cigarettes with pencil sharpenings or matchstick shavings?

1 hour ago, Lucyfish said:

As a smoker, I do feel guilty about my secondhand. It's the main reason I prefer vaping. Sure, it isn't any healthier for me, but it at least makes it so people don't have to deal with my secondhand.

I thought vaping was just nicotine and vapourised glycol?, would be better than the crap that goes into the normal pre-made durries.

• Like 1

I really hate smoking, every single person knows how dangerous they can be. Why even do it in the first place? To look cool? Social reasons? Helped your depression? They're all fucking lazy excuses. Not only that but the 2nd hand smoke drives me crazy, i hate the smell and i end up finding myself taking mini asthma attacks because now these days there isn't a single bit of air that isn't polluted or covered in 2nd hand smoke.

I really hate the stuff and i look down upon people who do it >:|

1 minute ago, shadowsinhiding said:

I really hate smoking, every single person knows how dangerous they can be. Why even do it in the first place? To look cool? Social reasons? Helped your depression? They're all fucking lazy excuses. Not only that but the 2nd hand smoke drives me crazy, i hate the smell and i end up finding myself taking mini asthma attacks because now these days there isn't a single bit of air that isn't polluted or covered in 2nd hand smoke.

I really hate the stuff and i look down upon people who do it >:|

my uncle started smoking because the tabacco somehow helped him with his illness. he had several infections in his guts, and strangely the doctor advised him to start smoking. even stranger: it helped.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

my uncle started smoking because the tabacco somehow helped him with his illness. he had several infections in his guts, and strangely the doctor advised him to start smoking. even stranger: it helped.

Must have fumigated all the bugs.

I only smoke(d) on the balcony and dedicated smoking spots because I know how annoying second hand smoking is. The smell is awful and many smokers fail to realize it due to being used to it. 

Vaping I found was a good alternative, smells relatively nice and is a bunch healthier. However it really gets on my nerves if you do it indoors, it strikes me as attention seeking even though I know it's not. 

• Like 1

I don't care if people smoke, it's their choice and their right. However, I've made a choice to be a non-smoker, and when people smoke in the high street, they are violating my decision to not have the stuff in my system. And that pisses me off. I hold my breath if I have to walk past them. I've almost passed out a lot but I think it's worth it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I met a man once, who believed that second hand smoke was a communist conspiracy. 

Should have told him that the toxins in cigarettes are devised as a communist infiltration to saturate our precious bodily fluids with impurities to

subvert our thoughts, because that's exactly just how a hardcore commie works!

• Like 1

Just now, Gamedog said:

I wanna know what they put inside cigarettes that make people's hair and clothes smell like ass

I don't think cigarettes smell like butt cheeks? But if you think they do, maybe it's the sulphur in the tar that is used to make cigarettes. 

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I don't think cigarettes smell like butt cheeks? But if you think they do, maybe it's the sulphur in the tar that is used to make cigarettes. 

saxon.. not literal ass
"smell like ass" is another way of saying "smells like shit"
which is another way of saying something smells bad

• Like 1

I don't really get how people start smoking this day and age.  I get people who still smoke, its crazy addictive, but who starts smoking?  Its expensive, you have to do it outdoors unless you're at home, and it has few 'upsides'.  Like, Crystal Meth has more upsides than cigarettes.  The think cigarettes mostly do is relieve withdraw symptoms from nicotine withdrawl, so why start at all?

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Vaping isn't healthier at all, I acknowledge that. I just have it because for the most part, it doesn't fuck with the people around me as much as smoking seems to.

Most of my family members smoke, which is especially annoying when I am with them

Ever since they moved to vaping, I've felt like blessed. Seriously, actual smoke smells disgusting

I don't really have a huge problem with smokers. I just hate the ones who like to stand right outside of doors (which you're not supposed to do in Illinois) and smoke or who feel victimized because you tell them to go somewhere else..

and I don't really get the whole vape culture because it seems kind of pointless to buy $100+ mods just for the smoke, but at least the vapor smells better

47 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I don't really get how people start smoking this day and age.  I get people who still smoke, its crazy addictive, but who starts smoking?  Its expensive, you have to do it outdoors unless you're at home, and it has few 'upsides'.  Like, Crystal Meth has more upsides than cigarettes.  The thing cigarettes mostly do is relieve withdraw symptoms from nicotine withdrawl, so why start at all?

I think a lot of people start smoking as a social thing or out of curiosity. though smoking probably wouldn't be nearly as bad if companies didn't load them with literal poison. what I don't get is why Americans at least are so against putting a label on the box that says "this can kill you". seems kind of fair to me

3 hours ago, Caledonian said:

doctors are full of shit sometimes. You really expect that a doctor can't find the actual ingredient(s) that would help your uncle's infections and be able to give it to him in a way that wouldn't cause him to cause damage to his lungs or even at that less damage compared to a commercial cigarette which roughly has about 200 different dangerous chemicals in them?

Not saying your wrong but that doesn't seem right.

As far as current knowledge extends, vaping hasn't shown as large health hazards as cigarettes. This is pretty much non-debatable.

The problem arises with the chain smoking that ensues, and the assholes who ruin them for others by shoving it in their faces. Indoors, sure if you're alone and want to do it, same applies to cigarettes, but anything you smoke ought ot be done outdoors if someone has any gripes with it. I have a tiny vape and I blow rings with it while I fiddle with vidya, and I don't see an issue with that.

I feel currently so irritated by everything I'm just gonna go buy a pack of regular reds and just ponder what went wrong. That's something vapes can't do.

Oh geez, a blood clot? Is that from the secondhand or something else? Okay maybe thats a bit personal but that sounds pretty awful.

Anyways, regarding smoking, Im right on par with Ashley. Theres really no reason to, its just so addicting and with that its going to rob your wallet of cash that could go for healthier or more fun things. I would never want to begin a habit such as that. No thanks.

I know little of vaping, but it only seems like something you do to quit smoking. Anyone who does it otherwise is just doing it for the new culture form of popularity and whatnot, because its "cool"

13 minutes ago, shadowsinhiding said:

doctors are full of shit sometimes. You really expect that a doctor can't find the actual ingredient(s) that would help your uncle's infections and be able to give it to him in a way that wouldn't cause him to cause damage to his lungs or even at that less damage compared to a commercial cigarette which roughly has about 200 different dangerous chemicals in them?

Not saying your wrong but that doesn't seem right.

People can live well into their late age and even hundreds despite smoking. As dangerous as it is, its hit or miss. I would think Caledonian's uncle is a very rare case of what illness is preferable to another. There are people out there who willingly live on cigarretes, whether it shortens their lifespan or not. But thats them, not me.

I really dont know why people would start to begin with either

i used to smoke infrequently and honestly sometimes it kinda surprises me when simple courtesies cant be obeyed. like it really isnt hard to find a good spot to designate or at least make sure youre not doing it in a way that has a negative influence on others. that much is sometimes odd to me.