Rave: Old Hickory gets the Switch!

Butters

So last year on the old forum, I made a thread about the group WomenOn20's wanting to have a female on the U.S. twenty dollar bill in honor of the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage coming up soon. A lot of good ideas were thrown around and it seems Harriet Tubman won out. 

What's interesting is the treasury wasn't gonna put her on the 20, they wanted to put her on the 10. 

But now...

I think it's really exciting that there is the prospect of getting even more women on paper bills. We've had the same ones for so long now. 

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

Finally Andrew Jackson's personal hell is at an end. rip

Well, not quite. He's still on the bill. He's just taking a back seat to Tubman. (She's on the front and he's on the back if I'm not mistaken)

I think this vid talks about it. 

13 minutes ago, Butters said:

Well, not quite. He's still on the bill. He's just taking a back seat to Tubman. (She's on the front and he's on the back if I'm not mistaken)

That's dumb.

If you're gonna do it, don't just half-ass it like that.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, putting him on the back is a pretty good idea. Like not only is he still on a federal reserve note (the federal reserve being like his arch-nemesis or something like that), but he's now on the ass-side of it after being usurped by a former slave and abolitionist activist.

I'm honestly surprised the didn't shove in like a couple Native Americans on the front too, y'know just for maximum 'fuck you'.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Tubman was bought and sold as property, now she's going to be on the face of the same us currency that bought her. O.o

Which I guess you could say just how far we've come as a society if people of honor are placed on the currency and a black freedom fighter is now considered noble enough to be a national symbol. 

I just can't wait to get one. I think I lost my old Sacagawea dollars. So it'll be nice to keep a piece of history. 

So happy to see a woman on our currency after 230 years of having it! Sure, there are the Sacagawea dollar coins, but those are collectors pieces. These new bills will be used by everyone in America, and eventually, be copied by all the other countries of the world! But we did it first!

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

They've been doin' it with $5's for god knows how many years, so I don't see why not.

So will Klansmen now refuse to use cash and only use credit cards?

I mean they'd have to avoid money with black people on it plus they'd get frequent flier miles. 

10 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

And yet no one cares that Susan B. Anthony was proposed for the $10 though from what I've been hearing it's likely that won't happen.

How about we move to strictly electronic funds or credsticks or something so no one can be special.

But if there are no heroes, who will aspire to go above and beyond?

23 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Honestly, this feels like some kind of lame publicity stunt to me. 

Women on 20s has been trying to get a woman on the twenty for nearly a year. The whole idea is that the 100th anniversary of the 19th amendment is coming up in 2020, and a woman should be on our paper currency again. The last woman to be the major feature on a note was Martha Washington on the one in the 1860s.

Plus, it is hard for the organization that made the change to use publicity to help themselves. They risk a change in their job no matter who gets elected, everybody must use their product, and they are hated by many Americans anyway.

On 4/21/2016 at 1:22 PM, Frozen Glacier said:

So happy to see a woman on our currency after 230 years of having it! Sure, there are the Sacagawea dollar coins, but those are collectors pieces. These new bills will be used by everyone in America, and eventually, be copied by all the other countries of the world! But we did it first!

What, is Queen Elizabeth II not female? Do you know something the rest of us don't?