What could've made Sonic better?

VGmaster9

Oooooh boy. Is it that time again? Alright then...

Sticking to the Genesis formula and possibly less 3D games, hate to say it. A lot of game developers have stated his formula is a very specific one that's very hard to do right in 3D and satisfy everyone.

What I don't get is why Sonic Team will have a successful formula going and throw out a clearly good thing. Lost World was...decent. But Colors and Generations were clearly well liked games and they just abandoned the whole "Day Time Stage" system. 

I don't think fans ruin anything. I mean...I still watch Steven Universe. lol

Also, I just want them to drop the cringeworthy stories. They have done that more or less in recent games, but sometimes they take a giant blue hedgehog WAY too seriously. :l

• Like 1

Make Sonic and Tails have a canon gay relationship, and have Knuckles and Shadow join in sometimes

Also more attractive male characters

Make Sonic the Werehog a recurring transformation

Also the characters should be barefoot sometimes

Something about gameplay too idk

• Like 2

I think keeping the games made by the Sonic Team instead of outsourcing development to random devs would help the series out. I mean, outsourcing the games is how we got stuff like Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Boom. This wouldn't fix all of the problems obviously but it'd be a good start.

I'd personally like to see a Sonic game based on the comics if that's at all possible. Would be pretty cool.

EDIT: Its also a good idea to keep the generally rock and rap oriented music the series is known for and avoid instrumental tracks like what Sonic Boom did. Maybe if they can get the guys who did the music for Sonic CD, taking an instrumental route wouldn't be so bad, but otherwise its important to have the kind of music the series is generally known for. 

4 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I mean, outsourcing the games is how we got stuff like Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Boom. This wouldn't fix all of the problems obviously but it'd be a good start.

Sonic Boom did pretty badly.

I really liked their re-release/port of Sonic CD. They included both soundtracks, added achievements, made Tails playable... plus it's Sonic CD, the best Sonic game IMO.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I'd personally like to see a Sonic game based on the comics if that's at all possible. Would be pretty cool.

I might be wrong, but I'm told that Sega has, in the past, specifically mentioned they don't want to merge the continuities. I'd like a game based on the comics too honestly. I just want them to refine what they had going with Unleashed, Colors, and Generations for the 3D games and what they did with Sonic 4-2 (yes it was a good game, sit down) for the 2D games.

If they made another Lost World, can they please use the BEAUTIFUL movement from the 3DS version? Seriously, Sonic never played better in a 3D environment and it busts my ass that the game was atrociously marred by overwhelmingly bad level design.

Oh. And while most Sonic fan games are meh, I hope this gets finished.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XoPachi said:

The animation and fight scenes especially can be cringeworthy as fuck, but it's seriously fucking hilarious a good chunk of the time. PLEASE don't judge it on looks.

Second confession: I like the Sonic Boom redesigns. Even Knuckles "Never Skip Leg Day" the Echidna.

• Like 1

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

Second confession: I like the Sonic Boom redesigns. Even Knuckles "Never Skip Leg Day" the Echidna.

Pretty much the only thing about them is the sports tape, but...it's really not a big deal? Like at all? I think people were just shocked at how different it was from the norm.

5 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Confession: I like Sonic Boom...the show.

5 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

You are my spirit animal. The Sonic Boom cartoon is the best thing to happen to the franchise in years. Plus goofy Knux is much more enjoyable than the brooding loner one from every other adaptation, and +1 for self-referential Eggman.

• Like 1

Knuckles in the games is a pretty cardboard character, yeah. I like goofy Knuckles from Boom and mischievous S3K Knuckles. The lone wolf thing only works in the comic for me, where he has enough backstory to really warrant it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Knuckles in the games is a pretty cardboard character, yeah. I like goofy Knuckles from Boom and mischievous S3K Knuckles. The lone wolf thing only works in the comic for me, where he has enough backstory to really warrant it. 

Was he the lone wolf type in the Archie comics, or the UK comics? I've read both series, but my memories have blurred into one big indistinguishable blob.

7 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

By not putting him in 3D and not letting fucking dimps make his 2D games.

Dimps has been off their game after Sonic Rush 2. The Advance trilogy was rad. I don't fucking know what happened. Lost World's DS levels were so shitty and I think they did Generations DS as well. It was equally poor.

For some reason though the worse versions of Sonic games get higher scores. Like people rated the shit tier Wii and PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed significantly higher than the HD versions despite being uglier, having barren level design, less stages, less bosses, less over all content in general, and even more Werehog stages than the HD which I thought people hated (I thought they were great, just too long and odd camera angles at times). You couldn't even upgrade in the Wii version apparently.

Dimps has been off their game after Sonic Rush 2. The Advance trilogy was rad. I don't fucking know what happened. Lost World's DS levels were so shitty and I think they did Generations DS as well. It was equally poor.

Advance 2 was hold right: the game.

For some reason though the worse versions of Sonic games get higher scores. Like people rated the shit tier Wii and PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed significantly higher than the HD versions despite being uglier, having barren level design, less stages, less bosses, less over all content in general, and even more Werehog stages than the HD which I thought people hated (I thought they were great, just too long and odd camera angles at times). You couldn't even upgrade in the Wii version apparently.

Because it was cheaper(?)

Advance 2 was hold right if you didn't actually try to do anything. You could blitz it doing...that, but good luck getting Chaos Emeralds (you weren't) and actually improving times. Main routes could have been less linear, but once you actually start doing stuff, the levels got interesting. Advance 3 was weird. Reminded me of a Kirby game. Still cool though.

Also let's never make another Sonic RPG

EDIT: Jesus fuck Hell, Bioware. What WAS this?

19 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Advance 2 was hold right if you didn't actually try to do anything. You could blitz it doing...that, but good luck getting Chaos Emeralds (you weren't) and actually improving times. Main routes could have been less linear, but once you actually start doing stuff, the levels got interesting. Advance 3 was weird. Reminded me of a Kirby game.

The reason why Advance 3 was like because of Advance 2. (it was awful, I mean who fuck puts block pushing in a Sonic game?)

AlexX was the only person to defend that game.

1 hour ago, XoPachi said:

Advance 2 was hold right if you didn't actually try to do anything. You could blitz it doing...that, but good luck getting Chaos Emeralds (you weren't) and actually improving times. Main routes could have been less linear, but once you actually start doing stuff, the levels got interesting. Advance 3 was weird. Reminded me of a Kirby game. Still cool though.

EDIT: Jesus fuck Hell, Bioware. What WAS this?

Pretty sad that not even a well-revered developer like Bioware could make a good Sonic game.

I honestly never liked anything BioWare has ever made so I didn't expect to like this either. 

1 hour ago, Imperial Impact said:

The reason why Advance 3 was like because of Advance 2. (it was awful, I mean who fuck puts block pushing in a Sonic game?)

AlexX was the only person to defend that game.

I liked Advance 3, but it was certainly my least favorite of the 3. The level design in 2 can be argued that it's linear, but I'll take that over tedium crazy as that sounds (though I don't actually find Advance 2 as unengaging as some people, understandably, claim). The problems I had with 3 are actually why I don't like Freedom Planet, but Freedom to me took it too far. "Oh man, you're moving fast! You got that flow going! You're jumpin! YOU'RE DODGIN ENEMIES! SO SKILLFUL! Yo- aawwwww, welp looks like you gotta solve puzzles and press switches now in a speed focused platformer." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Here's a huge obstruction to stop ya and completely destroy the flow of the game. 

Neither were terrible, but god... That shit was so annoying.

1 hour ago, VGmaster9 said:

Pretty sad that not even a well-revered developer like Bioware could make a good Sonic game.

It wasn't just Bioware's fault. I believe there was a mess of things going on with Sonic Chronicles. I think the whole Ken Penders deal with the comics had some relation to Sonic Chronicles, and the game was rushed out unfinished. There was supposed to be an actual decent soundtrack for it, but they ran out of time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

It wasn't just Bioware's fault. I believe there was a mess of things going on with Sonic Chronicles. I think the whole Ken Penders deal with the comics had some relation to Sonic Chronicles, and the game was rushed out unfinished. There was supposed to be an actual decent soundtrack for it, but they ran out of time.

That reminds me, when are we finally going to able to enjoy the rousing sci-fi epic known as the Laura-Su Chronicles?

What bugs me most, ever since Sonic & Knuckles, is the lazy story writing that entirely depends on introducing new characters. Every. Single. Game. New character intro is the simplest, least creative plot device ever (probably why Marvel just keeps making reboots of movies introducing same characters over and over). I think Sonic games would do better if they didn't pander to players lowest intellect, and actually continue expanding on the already well established storyline using the characters and situations already very well established. But then, the official story setting of Sonic's world sucks. Mad scientist who makes robots, hedgehog who is nearly invisible by comparison always taking him down. Sonic Adventure was great in that sense that it didn't depend on character introductions (much), and even showed some real consequences of the bad guy by having the city destroyed. Since then, it's been kinda struggling in my opinion.

It's also unfortunate that SEGA rejected the storyline of the old SatAM series (ones with Sally and freedom fighters in a much more darker setting). That world would have been MUCH easier to write stories for (as evidenced by a preponderance of actually really good fan fiction with that setting), and is much more interesting in my opinion. Though SatAM is also what really got me into Sonic and eventually furry too.