General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

24 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I find it a bit confusing that when Americans discuss nationality or culture that they often uniformly agree that America is the best country in the world.
The British often do this too, because we routinely use the phrase 'Great' to imply that Great Britain reigns superior.

It would be almost as silly as the Dutch complimenting themselves on living in the best country on Earth...except they don't do that because they realise what a self-congratulatory waste of time that would be and that the notion of a 'best' country is so poorly defined that it isn't meaningful. At best we can state with at least some confidence that countries like France and Australia are better places to live than Venezuela or Uzbekistan, because a vast disparity in the standards of living exist between such nations.

When it gets to the point of trying to decide whether Denmark is better than New Zealand, it's just a waste of time though.

What sort of Americans have you been talking to? I haven't talked to anyone that thinks America is the best and is completely perfect. I love my country but it definitely has problems.

2 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

What sort of Americans have you been talking to? I haven't talked to anyone that thinks America is the best and is completely perfect. I love my country but it definitely has problems.

The most prominent examples are politicians. (I'm surprised any of the electorate enjoy that sycophantic bullshit).
Generally though, many discussions about culture or nationhood of the USA or UK often start with a proclamation of their nation's superiority.

5 hours ago, Saxon said:

The most prominent examples are politicians. (I'm surprised any of the electorate enjoy that sycophantic bullshit).
Generally though, many discussions about culture or nationhood of the USA or UK often start with a proclamation of their nation's superiority.

There's your problem. 

How else are politicians supposed to get votes if not by sweet talking about the country they govern? 

I've literally never heard anyone but ignorant rednecks, soldiers, and politicians (who kind of have to promote our country, because being a figurehead is kind of their fucking job) praise America as being "superior" to other places.

And I say that as someone who actually lives here and is actually around the people who live here every day.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

There's your problem. 

How else are politicians supposed to get votes if not by sweet talking about the country they govern? 

I kind of find it disappointing that this sort of talk appeals to people, I guess. Even if somebody does believe that England really is the best country, I would hope that they would be able to see that politicians only extol the supremacy of their country out of a pragmatic and calculated desire to improve their public relations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

The British often do this too, because we routinely use the phrase 'Great' to imply that Great Britain reigns superior.

Plus, I've heard that the sun never sets.

That must sure get annoying, being light all the time, and trying to sleep :V

But I imagine it does wonders for manufactures of curtains, shades, blinds and draperies.

• Like 2

Just now, Fossa-Boy said:

Plus, I I've heard that the sun ever sets.

That must sure get annoying, being light all the time, and trying to sleep :V

But I imagine it does wonders for manufactures of curtains, shades, blinds and draperies.

The sun never sets on the British Empire because it shines out of our Queen's arse.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

How old is she now? You think there will be a King and Queen, after she passes? Or just a Queen? Or maybe neither?

Queen Elizabeth II is 90. When the Queen dies the crown is likely to pass to Charles George, who is currently Prince of Wales.
Prince Charles is well meaning but very politically opinionated and has a documented history of attempting to interfere in British policy making.
For example he personally believes in alternative medicines like homeopathy and wants the British National Health Service to prescribe them.

Despite this clear demonstration that Monarchy isn't a very good idea, British Royalty still receives widespread support here.

Hell, when I was in Canada they even supported the Monarchy (they regarded Elizabeth as 'the Queen of Canada' though, seemingly unaware that Canada is just one of the common wealth nations she presides over as the head of state).

4 hours ago, Vae said:

I've literally never heard anyone but ignorant rednecks, soldiers, and politicians (who kind of have to promote our country, because being a figurehead is kind of their fucking job) praise America as being "superior" to other places.

And I say that as someone who actually lives here and is actually around the people who live here every day.

In a military sense, the US has far superior firepower to most countries.

In a cultural sense, the US is a mix of all the best bits from other cultures (and some not so good bits).

In a political sense, however, what a fucking shitshow.

I love my country but hate its politicians. If we could just lock them up in a steel box where they couldn't do any more harm to the world, that would be nice.

And no, I am not saying the US is superior to other first world countries. Canada seems like a nice place.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SirRob said:

I see Google's doing their April Fool's joke early this year

GoogleDoodle.jpeg

Still trying to figure out wtf the 2nd G is.

First of all, you can't even try and claim that's a G.

Second of all, is it supposed to be representing transgenderism?

Gender equality?

Support for people with non-standard genders?

Support for the colour scheme of blue and pink? (Personally I hope it's this one. What a good colour scheme!)

49 minutes ago, SirRob said:

I see Google's doing their April Fool's joke early this year

GoogleDoodle.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Still trying to figure out wtf the 2nd G is.

First of all, you can't even try and claim that's a G.

Second of all, is it supposed to be representing transgenderism?

Gender equality?

Support for people with non-standard genders?

Support for the colour scheme of blue and pink? (Personally I hope it's this one. What a good colour scheme!)

Maybe you guys are being overly critical? You do realize doodle for google is a nationwide concept in which they have people grades k-12 submitting content relating to the theme they ask, often some question like "How would you like to see the world changed?" or "What makes the world a better place?" some deep thought provoking shit like that, and then they have submissions, and one gets put on the page. They also have other submissions if you look, too.

...and besides that I dont think you need look too. deeply into the symbols to get the general concept

So tl;dr, it's not just google someone actually did that. Go punch a 15 year old or something

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Deskai said:

its like...Coexist...

It's probably based on that image, because it's so well known.

I'm not sure why people are getting their panties in a knot over a little doodle, drawn by a child or teenager, expressing their wish for a less divided future.

My google doesn't have this image anyway though; perhaps this competition only exists in the USA.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Saxon said:

It's probably based on that image, because it's so well known.

I'm not sure why people are getting their panties in a knot over a little doodle, drawn by a child or teenager, expressing their wish for a less divided future.

My google doesn't have this image anyway though; perhaps this competition only exists in the USA.

I didnt see it cause I have a theme for my chrome

I think the drawing's cute.

Literally 10 seconds of Googling (lol) "gender symbols" brought me this:
12239607-.jpg

I'm pretty goddamn sure the aim was just "transgender."

Also I think being overly critical towards this is kind of thing is dumb, for a Google header that's just trying to support equality.
And that's coming from me, of all people.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2017 at 0:46 AM, Rukh Whitefang said:

You talking about MCFC? I bought the sponsor badge this year, pre reg price though. Last years food was okay, the sloppy joes were pretty good. Its the beer selection that I want. The list looks pretty good. I don't get a lot of the east side craft beers over here. Some of its 20%, plus they have a limited supply of mead.

I will say though I still like to by a meal at the hotel restaurant as well. Breakfast is blah, but lunch and dinner food is great. And I want to support the hotel. (The staff are great).

Well, you still support the hotel if you buy a badge because the con still has to pay for that space for 4-5-6 days, adding for the day or two before and after the con for setting things up and tearing things down.

Thinking about it, the prereg is $40 for non-sponsor, $90 for sponsor, that's $50 extra. Counting only lunch and dinner (assuming hotel will cover breakfast), if I were to only do fast food, that would be average $6 a meal. 2 meals a day, 3 days, 6 meals, $36. However, knowing me that I couldn't stand McDonalds and Taco Hell every day (Especially since Taco Bell often causes me intestinal grief), that would mean I'd probably eat dinner at the restaurants nearby... the Koney, Big Boy, Indian food place, Mexican place, Chilis, Qudoba, 5 guys. So, most of those $10-15. So $30-45 for dinners, and add $18 for fast food for lunch, and it would be $48-63. Convenience wise the sponsor lounge is closer and easier to get to. Price wise, it could go either way depending on what I buy for food. I have through this weekend to buy pre-reg, so I have to decide.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:13 PM, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

19 hours ago, Vae said:

None of you people have ever heard of the term "American Exceptionalism"? The idea that the US is special, exceptional, a unique country far above all others, God's chosen country? And the idea that somehow we're way more democratic than any other nation, ignoring those who also are representative constitutional republics.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

It's probably a doodle only for US people, I think today's Trans pride day in the US or something.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

None of you people have ever heard of the term "American Exceptionalism"? The idea that the US is special, exceptional, a unique country far above all others, God's chosen country? And the idea that somehow we're way more democratic than any other nation, ignoring those who also are representative constitutional republics.

19 hours ago, Vae said:

I've literally never heard anyone but ignorant rednecks, soldiers, and politicians

I don't know why people keep ignoring these three things that I listed.

Also it's not the 1950s anymore.

2 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Maybe you guys are being overly critical? You do realize doodle for google is a nationwide concept in which they have people grades k-12 submitting content relating to the theme they ask, often some question like "How would you like to see the world changed?" or "What makes the world a better place?" some deep thought provoking shit like that, and then they have submissions, and one gets put on the page. They also have other submissions if you look, too.

...and besides that I dont think you need look too. deeply into the symbols to get the general concept

So tl;dr, it's not just google someone actually did that. Go punch a 15 year old or something

But it's not a G!

Yes, it's neat art, I quite enjoy Google's homepages. It's just weird.

33 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

But it's not a G!

Yes, it's neat art, I quite enjoy Google's homepages. It's just weird.

I mean, technically the Star of David isn't an O,
the Star and Crescent looks more like a C than an O,
and the Cross looks more like a t than an L.

If we're going by that, most of the symbols wouldn't fit.
But that's not the point.

I think our Google Doodle is ok, but I like Saxton's better because it's more creative looking. Now before you call me a transphobe or some shit, the problem I have with out doodle is that it's kind of generic. I've seen pictures like that a million times. People of different cultures and genders and such standing together. It's pretty much the standard for pictures that promote equality. And before you call me an asshole for judging a 15 year old's art, I want to point out that I'm also a teenager. I actually think it's kimd of ironic because the people here saying "SHE'S JUST 15 GOD YOU ASSHOLE" are also the type of people who laugh at people's art on DeviantArt because they think it looks "cringey".

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I think our Google Doodle is ok, but I like Saxton's better because it's more creative looking. Now before you call me a transphobe or some shit, the problem I have with out doodle is that it's kind of generic. I've seen pictures like that a million times. People of different cultures and genders and such standing together. It's pretty much the standard for pictures that promote equality. And before you call me an asshole for judging a 15 year old's art, I want to point out that I'm also a teenager. I actually think it's kimd of ironic because the people here saying "SHE'S JUST 15 GOD YOU ASSHOLE" are also the type of people who laugh at people's art on DeviantArt because they think it looks "cringey".

tbh I dont make it a habit of laughing at a 15 year old's art unless it's laughably cringey, like fetish levels bad...or if the artist is bad and doesnt bother improving over time.

I think seeing it as a generic image is a fair critique though, she still got 30k in scholarship for being super PC in her super equality master race drawing so good for her I guess. Google is a multi-something dollar company so they can choose whatever shit art they want (They definitely have a lot of other good ones that were left in the dust for this one...so...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

But it's not a G!

Frederick Douglass has been the g so I don't think it actually matters.

celebrating-frederick-douglass-626384382

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Google is a multi-something dollar company so they can choose whatever shit art they want

The judges also included the public and guest judges like Floyd Norman and Pikachu, so the choosing wasn't all Google.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

New colors arf a nice change, and will attract many new furs. Please make them mandatory.

Do ewe really want that kind of people here? 

(yes, this is response to a sarcasm post) 

• Vae pinned this topic