Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

I'm not talking about debate. I can enjoy debate when it's about serious issues, or when it's appropriate given the nature of the conversation.
I'm talking about when it's applied to everything from "I don't like it when someone sits by me on the bus" to "I like the taste of peanut butter."

It's like the equivalent of the furry that waves their fetishes around in every conversation. It's weird and conversationally exhaustive, and turns everything into a dick-waving contest. And I'm already pretty secure in my dick size, so idgi.

Also I'm not talking about psychological dissection of why attractions happen, to begin with, which should have been pretty obvious.
I'm talking about people making a big deal about why they, personally, get all flustered when the dicks touch.

• Like 1

So today I went to the Cleveland Auto Show, and one thing struck me as odd. The show has test drives for different car manufacturers, kind of a way to expand hype around new cars. Most of these test drives have an age requirement of 18 years, which is reasonable. However, others have an age requirement of 21 years, which was really weird. So I was able to get behind the wheel of a Fiat 500 Abarth and could have drove a Mustang or a Challenger, yet I was not able to drive a Kia or a Subaru. So how is it that I was able to test drive performance cars, but not cheap cars made in Korea?

The extent to which people justify their own stupid decisions through willful ignorance or absolute refusal to acknowledge scientific fact so that they don't need to worry about changing their destructive lifestyles while convincing themselves that what they're doing is totally fine or balanced out/outweighed by something else they do.

This is something that will continue to baffle me.

"I want to be happy/better/[insert statement here]" while refusing to learn how to BECOME what you want to be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I've never understood the popularity of drinking and alcohol or weed and getting high.

I don't really find it to be something fun.

That's why I'll be the boring designated driver :V

So I know who to call when I need a ride, then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChaosCalix said:

The extent to which people justify their own stupid decisions through willful ignorance or absolute refusal to acknowledge scientific fact so that they don't need to worry about changing their destructive lifestyles while convincing themselves that what they're doing is totally fine or balanced out/outweighed by something else they do.

This is something that will continue to baffle me.

"I want to be happy/better/[insert statement here]" while refusing to learn how to BECOME what you want to be.

Normalizing negative behaviors is just another coping mechanism, but yes, I agree that it is foolish to do this versus learning to improve yourself and your situation. I agree with Socrates, that people mostly commit evil acts due to "not knowing better," and that knowledge is the key to being a just and great individual.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Why there is such a high homosexual and trans rate in the furry fandom. I just don't get what the attraction is.

I made a thread asking this question back when I was on FAF last year. Many of the answers I got were about how accepting the fandom is to those types of people.

9 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Why there is such a high homosexual and trans rate in the furry fandom. I just don't get what the attraction is.

Anthros are cute. Male anthros can be drawn like females, and the straight/gay idea tends to blur with cartoon drawings.

How some people sound like complete idiots most of the time, but occasionally pull out the intelligent essayist persona. Why do they make a habit of being idiots if they are obviously capable of intelligent, thought-provoking discussion?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ieono said:

How some people sound like complete idiots most of the time, but occasionally pull out the intelligent essayist persona. Why do they make a habit of being idiots if they are obviously capable of intelligent, thought-provoking discussion?

I live in a split-level head

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I had a coworker who received a compliment from a customer calling him cute, and he didnt like it.

Why dont a lot of guys like being called cute? :T I dunno, I guess its apparently reserved for animals and children and not manly enough

Bingo! All a part of that machismo, baby!

1 minute ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

but... why?

Hmm...that's a bit complex. 

Even though I am not religious, I have an appreciation for certain rituals and orders that exist within religious institutions. I've visited several old cathedrals and churches in Europe, as well as visited museums housing incredible religious artwork, and they always fill me with such a sense of awe. SO much beauty can come from devout belief. I honestly believe that human beings only shine when they have a purpose that they believe in with all their hearts, and work hard to achieve. Religion gives some people that burning passionate purpose, and you can see how beautiful the results can be when they aren't violent or oppressive. I can really appreciate the beauty of such expression. I don't long to be Christian, because I have my own purpose that i am passionate about, but being a part of something so beautiful and ancient is almost magical. Anyway, that's the first part of my feelings. Now, to the organization itself...

The Society of Jesus is probably one of the most "progressive (not sure if that is the word..)" ancient Christian orders there are. I wouldn't actually join in reality, because I am not a believer in any god, but there are secular traits that really resonate with me.  I guess what really attracts me to it beyond the beauty of Catholic ritual is that it is one of the last bastions of "brotherhood" in the Western world. And it isn't the sort of brotherhood that is filled with machismo and a hatred of women, but it is a brotherhood that spurs it's members to become greater people. I have a problem relating to women, and have always preferred the company of other men. It is hard to find groups of men who bring out the best in each other's nature, and not the more base aspects of our nature. Anyway, their beliefs are a bit like Transcendentalism and romanticism, which are beautiful ideologies in of themselves. 

I'm already pretty priest-like in my life, and the standards I set for myself and desire in others are very..."proper." And it gets harder and harder for me to connect with others because it seems like the society around me is completely abandoning the values that I hold dear, such as politeness, openness, and consideration for others. These things are central to the practices of the Jesuits. I think one line from their founder, Ignatius, really rings true for me, "to conquer oneself and to regulate one's life in such a way that no decision is made under the influence of any inordinate attachment." I find that adapting this view to my own life has allowed me to achieve so much, and to be a part of a group that holds this sort of view so close to their hearts would just be....so very rewarding. But hey, they are Christians, and I am not! It's just fun to contemplate sometimes. 

I'm sure this sounds crazy, but it's how I feel. Feelings don't make too much sense sometimes!

• Like 2

On 3/14/2016 at 6:25 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I guess I must think differently than because I dont mind. And also I call just about everything cute

That's because you're the king of kawaii.

If somebody called me cute, I'd take it as a compliment. Depending on who said it, I might feel a little suspicious or wonder what they want from me, but cute is generally a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Xaende
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Why Netflix is so slow at airing new seasons. I almost feel insulted giving them my money.

Fucking useless.

Plus, they keep taking more of our money, and instead of using it to bring us stuff to watch theyFUCKING RESSURECT FULL FUCKING HOUSE when NOBODY WANTED  IT

On March 14, 2016 at 4:24 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Why dont a lot of guys like being called cute? :T I dunno, I guess its apparently reserved for animals and children and not manly enough

I certainly wouldn't object. 

HyperManly men are the most sensitive. 

• Like 1

I've been the laughingstock of a whole generation in my area for years, bullied and rejected to an extent I prefer not being fully aware of. Yet I was always getting by just fine, and the decent people always had a smiling, good-hearted kid in front of them. And today now that the bullying is a thing of the past, I'm facing major self-acceptance and self-esteem issues. Yet I never had any signs of depression and I'm even enjoying life. How's that possible? o.O

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I've been the laughingstock of a whole generation in my area for years, bullied and rejected to an extent I prefer not being fully aware of. Yet I was always getting by just fine, and the decent people always had a smiling, good-hearted kid in front of them. And today now that the bullying is a thing of the past, I'm facing major self-acceptance and self-esteem issues. Yet I never had any signs of depression and I'm even enjoying life. How's that possible? o.O

People get in your head, and you start measuring yourself by their standards. It's not unnatural, we all compare ourselves to others to some extent. You need to be able to get into a place where you can say, "I'm comfortable with they way I am, and I'm doing just fine." Not that it's an easy state of mind to achieve, but it's much more peaceful. For what it's worth, you seem like a sharp, decent person to me. 

14 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Tbh I was very much the same way, as a kid I ignored a lot of it and was mostly self absorbed but during my older years it heavily affected my esteem and led to really bad anxiety behavior issues. Ive gotten much better more recent though.

It really does manage to go deeper than you realize, but in the end you can always turn it around and make it better

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xaende said:

That's because you're the king of kawaii.

LOL I totally forgot that was my user title

Indeed I claimeth the title

1 hour ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I certainly wouldn't object. 

HyperManly men are the most sensitive. 

Good cuz ur cute :V

Also yeah on the topic of manly men, (at least the one Im talking about) this one dude insisted that he (men) couldnt show feelings around their girlfriends/women because females see that as a sign of weakness and take advantage of it.

Now to me that just sounds like a personal problem, from some past experience. Trying to apply emotion as something you shouldnt do because youre a man? Thats weird

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

People get in your head, and you start measuring yourself by their standards. It's not unnatural, we all compare ourselves to others to some extent. You need to be able to get into a place where you can say, "I'm comfortable with they way I am, and I'm doing just fine." Not that it's an easy state of mind to achieve, but it's much more peaceful. For what it's worth, you seem like a sharp, decent person to me. 

On the bright side I do have a growing desire to start a new chapter in my life. In fact in less than two months I'll complete my last year of tech school, and instead of looking for a job locally I'll look in another (larger) area where I can move and start over. Since most of my problems are of social nature it certainly won't harm to live among new people. Heck I did it for three weeks last year for my internship and it was a blast!

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Tbh I was very much the same way, as a kid I ignored a lot of it and was mostly self absorbed but during my older years it heavily affected my esteem and led to really bad anxiety behavior issues. Ive gotten much better more recent though.

It really does manage to go deeper than you realize, but in the end you can always turn it around and make it better

Fortunately I didn't develop serious anxiety issues. It's mostly that I'm tired of social isolation, and the absent self-esteem that would otherwise help me a lot. But hopefully it's nothing impossible to fix, with some efforts.

I don't understand how so many of the greatest American writers have been gay, were likely to be gay, or were even assumed to be gay and were not absolutely destroyed by that.

America was turning towards a more accepting place after the 1870s, but it was absolutely ruinous in most careers to have committed "that horrible sin not to be mentioned among Christians." I just don't get how that happened.

6 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

I don't understand how so many of the greatest American writers have been gay, were likely to be gay, or were even assumed to be gay and were not absolutely destroyed by that.

America was turning towards a more accepting place after the 1870s, but it was absolutely ruinous in most careers to have committed "that horrible sin not to be mentioned among Christians." I just don't get how that happened.

Well, it was easier to be gay if you lived in a metropolitan area, and kept a group of friends and consorts that were open to those behaviors. Even once fame set in, a writer normally wouldn't be partying like a movie star, and would generally stay reclusive, like they do these days. If you surround yourself with people who accept you, it helps you not be destroyed by your own self-loathing in many cases. And many of them had long-term lovers to focus their feelings on, so that certainly would have helped. 

There isn't much threat to a person if they aren't especially easy to find or access in general. Many times, these writers' appearance were not known by the public, and many used pen names anyway. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2016 at 10:24 AM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I had a coworker who received a compliment from a customer calling him cute, and he didnt like it.

Personally, I use "cute" as a negative term. Generally mocking or poking fun.
"How cute" and all that.

I don't get ANNOYED when people call me it, but the way I use it means I don't prefer it, either.

Not that anyone in their right mind would call me 'cute', hah

• Like 1

On 3/17/2016 at 9:39 PM, Jerry said:

On the bright side I do have a growing desire to start a new chapter in my life. In fact in less than two months I'll complete my last year of tech school, and instead of looking for a job locally I'll look in another (larger) area where I can move and start over. Since most of my problems are of social nature it certainly won't harm to live among new people. Heck I did it for three weeks last year for my internship and it was a blast!

Fortunately I didn't develop serious anxiety issues. It's mostly that I'm tired of social isolation, and the absent self-esteem that would otherwise help me a lot. But hopefully it's nothing impossible to fix, with some efforts.

Come to northeast Ohio. We could always use more industry workers. And then I would have someone to hang out with and invite to metal shows. And a lot of great acts come to the Agora in downtown Cleveland. 

7 minutes ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

I thought it was just another way of saying "masculine".

'Manly' can mean things like 'brave' or 'powerful'. The word has 'Man' in it because those traits were once only attributed to males.

But by definition, you can have females who are 'manly' without having a man-like body.

On 14/03/2016 at 9:24 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Honestly, I fucking love being called cute.

But then again, I am a tiny bisexual nerd and not awfully manly as is

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Tell me again why manliness is a bad thing?

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing but society''s perceived notion of what manly is has been evolving. To me, there is nothing manlier than being self sufficient, aware of your shortcomings, working to improve yourself on a daily basis, being honest to yourself and others, and being respectful to your fellow man, animal, and earth.

If you do that, you're a real man.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2016 at 12:20 AM, DevilBear said:

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing but society''s perceived notion of what manly is has been evolving. To me, there is nothing manlier than being self sufficient, aware of your shortcomings, working to improve yourself on a daily basis, being honest to yourself and others, and being respectful to your fellow man, animal, and earth.

If you do that, you're a real man.