Jump to content
Crazy Lee

2 the ranting gryphon can't do panels anymore at AC

Recommended Posts

...do you know how hard it is sometimes to get the basic topic of a thread into a title without it being too long? I think I succeeded well enough above.

Anyway, I bring this up because furries I know won't shut up about it. Mostly taking 2's side and defending him.

Last week, word spread through the grapevine that 2 the Ranting Gryphon submitted a panel (or panels) to Anthrocon only to be denied. The only panel I know for sure that was not allowed, from 2's own words, was his comedy show from Anthrocon that he's done for many many years, and he was denied space on the main stage. The official reason was attendance at his show was too low for the mainstage space and the space could be better used for other events.

2's defenders however claim (especially since apparently 2 is not allowed to do panels in any of the rooms) that because Anthrocon is trying to be more family friendly, or that it's because SJWs are offended by him and don't want him in their safe space convention anymore. If you don't know anything about 2, he's controversial because he's a comedian who uses a lot of edgy, non-PC, offensive stuff. First off, I have not seen any of his material, so I don't know how edgy he is. And I've been to enough comedy shows to know that offensive stuff can be pretty regular with comedians. However, I do remember the controversy where he said that suicidal people are whiny attention whores who SHOULD die. And that sounds like an absolute dick opinion to have. For that alone I'd consider him an asshole, but I don't know about him beyond that. So I don't know if he should be allowed at AC, nor do I care if he's there or that.

And after typing all of that I found two videos he did about the AC issue:
 

 

 

In the first one he brings up the various controversies he's been a part of. I don't know about the other ones, but he mentions the suicide thing. He tries to explain it away. In his words "What I said was, when people have already killed themselves because of text messages they deserve that." Doesn't exactly make it any better. How exactly do people deserve their death because they killed themselves "over a text message"? He seems like he's just trying to explain away or twist what he actually meant in his comments about suicide years ago. People don't kill themselves over text messages, they kill themselves because they have severe depression or have had horrible things happen to them in the past, and that text message was probably the shove that pushed them over the edge. It was not the cause of the suicide but the last thing that caused them to go through with a suicide they've been considering for a while. The depression caused the suicide, not the text.

 

Also, Telephone the fursuiter supposedly was denied a panel too, but I think it was the same panel as 2's show because they're friends and seem to do panels together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most responses I've heard on this have been the latter; Of people bashing 2gryphs and saying he needed to be removed from AC due to his views. In fact, the top posts on twitter regarding this are all negative regarding 2G's. I didn't read too much into it cause I really don't care about 2G's, but from what comes up the most on my page is usually someone bitching about 2G's and how he should go to hell, ect. ect. 

 

Just for fun, I did a search of what people are saying about 2gryphons and here are the results. Its pretty contrary to what you were going on about "Mostly taking 2G's side".

 

The list goes on and on. I haven't really found any support for 2G other than maybe from 2G himself and a very small amount more. I'm not sure where you're going to see this "2G support"????? 

 

 

Wave1.PNG wave2.PNG wave3.PNG

wave4.PNG wave6.PNG Wave7.PNG

Wave8.PNG Wave9.PNG wave5.PNG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kind of pathetic that he's trying to frame it as a free speech issue and blaming everything on imaginary social justice warriors.

He could have just apologised for making light of suicide.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A guy who becomes popufur and then subsequently turns it around on himself making everyone dislike him for his awful humor and jokes surely must get a lot of stress and depression from the negativity to his own name

...that's the sort of thing that makes people want to kill themselves

Ouch, the irony. Poor guy might want to revise his ideas on suicide 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe 2 had a falling-out with Uncle Kage? I was under the impression that they were buddies. As AC is essentially Kage's convention, it might explain how he got the gig in the first place. He never struck me as particularly funny. To be fair, I'm not into that kind of humor, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Toshabi said:

The list goes on and on. I haven't really found any support for 2G other than maybe from 2G himself and a very small amount more. I'm not sure where you're going to see this "2G support"????? 

 

I know quite a few local furs who think his stuff is hilarious. I don't know, the only time I've ever seen him on stage live was at a Kage panel... but if his comedy is anything like the ranting and raving videos I've seen of his, then yea, that's just not funny. Comedy is not whining and bitching about shit, comedy is understanding timing and punchlines.

18 hours ago, Toshabi said:

Wave1.thumb.PNG.8ce70a4186eccc5189dbbefc0cefa307.PNG

Ouch.

32 minutes ago, Xaende said:

Maybe 2 had a falling-out with Uncle Kage? I was under the impression that they were buddies. As AC is essentially Kage's convention, it might explain how he got the gig in the first place. He never struck me as particularly funny. To be fair, I'm not into that kind of humor, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes, 2 and Kage seem to be friends. But, Kage is just the chairman of AC and there is a board as well, and from what I've heard there were more votes against 2G than for him, and kage was overruled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There appears to be strong support for gryphon on other furry forums, but those forumers also thought that the 'Main stream media' was unfairly persecuting poor pewdiepie.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) The fandom has clearly gotten bored with 2.  I think those of us who've been around this fandom long enough remember when he was 'A big thing' but that has greatly faded over the last 5+ years.  I don't even think that this is largely about his politics or reactions to comments he's made, it's that his shtick has failed to evolve with the times and now he's been dropped in favor of content that can put more butts in seats.  I'm SURE you can find die hard fans of 2 sure, but he used to be a THING in this fandom and he's not.  Other than when he stirs up Drama, the fandom doesn't talk about him much at all.

2) Of course he can't do any other panels.  Have you SEEN his reaction to this?  He's threatened to start his own con, tried to sick what little fandom he has left on AC staff, tried a petition, framed this as a political matter, and basically tried to make this a 'big thing' to get his own way with AC.  If AC gave him an unrelated panel, let's say 'Furries who love Beast Wars: Transformers' there is a very serious risk that the panel would have very little content about Mainframe's animated series and a lot of content about 2.  In fact, he may just try to do his whole out dated act in place of the actual panel.  He's clearly VERY upset with AC and AC giving him alternative space for 'something else' would be a huge mistake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I see a Tweet from 2, he is always on some sort of piss-fueled SJW rant which I find both amusing and somewhat sad. it reminds me of a smelly-ass patron who always tries to print porn on our wide format printers and then goes off on a weird diatribe about how liberals are preventing him from printing porn, jacking off in public, and they are morally sick. As much as you WANT to argue with him, all you can do is smile, shake your head, and say "You do you, buddy and I wish you the best in the future".

On March 24, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Saxon said:

There appears to be strong support for gryphon on other furry forums, but those forumers also thought that the 'Main stream media' was unfairly persecuting poor pewdiepie.

Most furries who are in their late teens/early twenties seem to adore him. After they hit 26, they grow out of it. Those that remain stuck in that mindset still like him. Unfortunately, his humor's still trapped in the late teens-early twenties period of a human's life where you can make cheeky insults and then turn to beat the shit out of the twitter submit button when a collective group decides that you're unfunny.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should just attack his appearance instead of actually having conversations these days. Seems Legit.

 

Honestly though, never really paid much attention to him. I barely know the "who is who " of furry fandom lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QT Melon said:

I barely know the "who is who " of furry fandom lol.

The good news is that 2 isn't on any 'Who's Who' list, he got bumped to 'Who Isn't Anymore', so you don't have to prioritize knowing about him unless you're more interested in the history of the fandom rather than it's current state. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 and Telephone are both infamous for being complete and utter douchebags to fans and con workers. They've been portrayed as a nightmare to deal with for people who run cons, so I don't blamne AC for banning them both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucyfish said:

2 and Telephone are both infamous for being complete and utter douchebags to fans and con workers. They've been portrayed as a nightmare to deal with for people who run cons, so I don't blamne AC for banning them both.

I don't think he was banned. He just can't run his panel anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, QT Melon said:

I don't think he was banned. He just can't run his panel anymore.

That's what I meant to say, I'm just bad at the word stuff lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know anything about "big" figures in the fandom. I just know the idea of a furry stand up comedian is comedy in itself to me in the first place. 

I think the only thing worse would be a seat at a Carlos Mencia show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I think the only thing worse would be a seat at a Carlos Mencia show.

His DE DE DE thing used to crack me up...

 

 

...when I was like 15.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think banning 2 for his material and because he's a dick sets a bad precedent. If people really don't like his show then they should just boycott it. If his attendance is really low then they should have just given him a smaller stage. I'm not saying I like the guy, but this seems like it opens the door to censoring anybody that has an opinion people don't like. I dunno.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

2 and Telephone are both infamous for being complete and utter douchebags to fans and con workers. They've been portrayed as a nightmare to deal with for people who run cons, so I don't blamne AC for banning them both.

Can you explain how telephone is, I havent heard such a thing and wouldnt know if I could just google it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Can you explain how telephone is, I havent heard such a thing and wouldnt know if I could just google it

They're a popufur with a fursuit that everybody likes

0db5b9883c3af6f50a8fe48f0706e218.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Can you explain how telephone is, I havent heard such a thing and wouldnt know if I could just google it

From what I've heard she's pretty much always trying to be the center of attention in any room, and it causes problems. Things like discussions turning into opinion shit-storms only instead of a forum, it's a real room where everybody is being made uncomfortable.

I've also heard she has that "I'm popular so I can just get away with doing/going anything/anywhere I want at this con" type of attitude a lot.

All this is from friends of mine who have met her, I never have so I honestly can't say anything for sure. I've just heard lots of first-hand experiences and opinions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

From what I've heard she's pretty much always trying to be the center of attention in any room, and it causes problems. Things like discussions turning into opinion shit-storms only instead of a forum, it's a real room where everybody is being made uncomfortable.

I've also heard she has that "I'm popular so I can just get away with doing/going anything/anywhere I want at this con" type of attitude a lot.

All this is from friends of mine who have met her, I never have so I honestly can't say anything for sure. I've just heard lots of first-hand experiences and opinions.

Ah I see, I think getting inflated from popularity will do that to most people, maybe if people had a small talk about their attitudes to these people they would cool their jets a bit, if they end up getting upset and angry that's their problem and it makes them even more of an asshole.

I can imagine how awkward it'd be to try to be in a room with someone who leeches attention all the time 

Its such an insignificant thing to care about though, so Im not going to be upset over a popufur I havent ever met, that's the congoers experience to worry about (which is too bad, but what can you do?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2017 at 8:00 AM, Lucyfish said:

I don't blamne AC for banning them both.

Didn't Telephone get pissy because she couldn't get exclusive rights to the dutch angel dragon panel at AC? As far as I remember, she's still allowed to go but doesn't feel welcome. I can't get a source for this, so I might as well be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 16, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Lucyfish said:

2 and Telephone are both infamous for being complete and utter douchebags to fans and con workers. They've been portrayed as a nightmare to deal with for people who run cons, so I don't blamne AC for banning them both.

It was like that when I staffed AC's Headless Zone with Lav and Der acting like complete fire hazard assholes when asked to move away from the doors to prevent blocking the entrance. Popular furries tend to get it in their heads that they can do anything disruptive and get away with it. If you dare tell them no, Incoming slander for daring to stand up to their bad and abusive behavior.

I don't know of her aside from what memes post about her, but her fans can be trash lords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zeke said:

It was like that when I staffed AC's Headless Zone with Lav and Der acting like complete fire hazard assholes when asked to move away from the doors to prevent blocking the entrance. Popular furries tend to get it in their heads that they can do anything disruptive and get away with it. If you dare tell them no, Incoming slander for daring to stand up to their bad and abusive behavior.

I don't know of her aside from what memes post about her, but her fans can be trash lords.

I have two good friends who are both suit makers who got to sit with Telephone at like a panel or something, they were at the table with her and conversing and whatnot. They said Telephone made them both really comfortable because she just kept talking about feminism, the bad kind of "fuck all men" feminism. My friend Jake said he felt really shitty, cuz' he is a trans dude and Telephone was just like "Yeah I don't care, all men are trash and you should just stay a girl" when he brought it up to her. They both described that sorta "Don't care what you think or say, I can do whatever I want" attitude from her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've met telephone IRL and I can confirm she's unhinged.

It was funny to just stand there with a big shit eating grin on my face and nod my head to everything she said just to see what kind of crazy histrionic shit would come out next.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sense is that AC basically set themselves up for endless drama when they opted to yank the rug out from underneath 2 with very little explanation. Whatever their true intentions might've been, this wasn't the smart or constructive way to go about this.

The main problem I see is that sometimes, it's not clear where 2's jokes end and his real opinions begin, because the difference between his persona and his real self is somewhat ambiguous. If people are unclear on whether 2 is meant to mainly be a social commentator, a shock comic, or a character actor, they may get understandably upset when he appears to give his audience objectively-bad advice or makes ignorant (and not especially funny) statements that appear to come "from the heart."

Especially in this current political climate, people are extremely sensitive to others using "just joking" as a kind of get-out-of-jail-free-card for saying genuinely mean-spirited and shitty stuff.

In my view, 2's quips about suicide and trans people in particular ultimately bombed not because they related to edgy or controversial topics, but because they were rooted in some pretty glaring, stupid, and dangerous misconceptions about the topics at hand that didn't come across as just "ironic" or "satirical."

You can be edgy and funny without necessarily feeding misconceptions or myths about vulnerable groups of people or sensitive topics--especially when your fanbase consists mostly of impressionable and naive young people.

You guys may also be right that 2's sun is setting, and that he's not as popular as he used to be. I was under the impression that he was still pretty popular, but I was also the last person on earth to discover "Gangnam Style."

And yes, there are also plenty of SJWs who don't understand things like subtext, context, satire, irony, sarcasm, or basic human interaction. The people who claim 2 is a Literal Nazi strike me as hysterical and naive. I also think that while it's fair and fine to find someone's comedy offensive, bad, or unfunny, actually being shocked when a shock comic is being intentionally shocking is rather silly and pointless.

On 4/17/2017 at 3:19 PM, Zeke said:

Lav and Der

Ah, yes. I have heard stories through the grapevine.

To each their own, but I followed one of them on FA because their suits are cute, and then promptly unfollowed them when I saw that their feed was mostly diaper-themed.

I'll want to confirm these stories myself, but it is too bad to hear about Telephone, at least. She's sounded nice enough in podcast interviews, but pobody's nerfect, and I imagine that any kind of fame can go to somebody's head over time.

I do find it funny/sad when some popufurs have clearly forgotten that even the most famous furry is still a weirdo in an animal costume as far as the rest of the world is concerned. I'M THE NERD KING OF GEEK MOUNTAIN! GAZE UPON MY DORKY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!
 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2017 at 11:00 PM, Lucyfish said:

I have two good friends who are both suit makers who got to sit with Telephone at like a panel or something, they were at the table with her and conversing and whatnot. They said Telephone made them both really comfortable because she just kept talking about feminism, the bad kind of "fuck all men" feminism. My friend Jake said he felt really shitty, cuz' he is a trans dude and Telephone was just like "Yeah I don't care, all men are trash and you should just stay a girl" when he brought it up to her. They both described that sorta "Don't care what you think or say, I can do whatever I want" attitude from her.

Huh, she sounds kinda like a spoiled brat.

Maybe a time out, or detention?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Troj said:

And yes, there are also plenty of SJWs who don't understand things like subtext, context, satire, irony, sarcasm, or basic human interaction. The people who claim 2 is a Literal Nazi strike me as hysterical and naive. I also think that while it's fair and fine to find someone's comedy offensive, bad, or unfunny, actually being shocked when a shock comic is being intentionally shocking is rather silly and pointless.

Asking people, let alone obtuse SJWs, understand the aforementioned things both irl and on the internet is like asking North Korea to respect human rights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Y'know.

I know absolutely none of these people. I don't think I'm active enough in this scene of the community.

I said the same thing a long time ago when this guy was brought up. Then I looked him up and was glad I'm not that active. How someone so unfunny got relevant for "comedy" is beyond me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I said the same thing a long time ago when this guy was brought up. Then I looked him up and was glad I'm not that active. How someone so unfunny got relevant for "comedy" is beyond me.

I only vaguely knew who Telephone was because my friend mentioned that she took a selfie with her when she went to Furry Fiesta.

Afterwards she pondered what her fursona should be because corruption

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I only vaguely knew who Telephone was because my friend mentioned that she took a selfie with her when she went to Furry Fiesta.

Afterwards she pondered what her fursona should be because corruption

I had zero clue who Telephone was until recently. Never heard the name at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

I said the same thing a long time ago when this guy was brought up. Then I looked him up and was glad I'm not that active. How someone so unfunny got relevant for "comedy" is beyond me.

Lets face it: If a furry started a soft-serve ice cream business that was a "Furry Dessert Hotspot" where they literally took a shit in a cup and gave it to people, it would be considered a Mecca of Dessert Destinations for the furry fandom. Simply sticking the furry label on anything not furry is enough to make people eat that shit up. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2017 at 10:05 PM, Troj said:

I do find it funny/sad when some popufurs have clearly forgotten that even the most famous furry is still a weirdo in an animal costume as far as the rest of the world is concerned. I'M THE NERD KING OF GEEK MOUNTAIN! GAZE UPON MY DORKY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!

You may be the pinnacle of a shit fandom, but you're still a piece of shit even if you're on top of the pile of shit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crazy Lee said:

You may be the pinnacle of a shit fandom, but you're still a piece of shit even if you're on top of the pile of shit.

Well, and I wouldn't even call us a "shit fandom," because the fandom is full of wonderful people doing some amazing and creative things. But, we're a low-prestige fandom that most people see as pretty weird, and it's important to keep a sense of perspective and humor.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I wouldn't be in this fandom if I dindn't enjoy some of it, but it's a very niche fandom, and it's good to keep things in perspective. No one who's important knows who 2, Telephone, or any popfur is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Y'know.

I know absolutely none of these people. I don't think I'm active enough in this scene of the community.

You really aren't missing a lot. I'd say you've dodged a bullet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, that bald rating guy needs a set of bunny ears! Something to soften his image, some kinda makeover. I never heard of before this thread.

I had heard of telephone, and as I said before, she sounds bratty, and needs to be grounded, and sent to her room.

Are all popufurs this obnoxious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, QT Melon said:

Fossa pls, you already commented  on 2's appearance already 

melon pls you already used the word "already" once

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...