Transgender People

Eggdodger

So, transwoman here, just wondering if anyone else here is trans. How is it going for you? How well do you think you've transitioned so far? Do you have any advice for people starting out?

For nontrans people:

What do you think of them? Do you have any transgender people in your life?

I honestly understand that some people have dissenting opinions about it or maybe don't "get it"; I've seen other threads brushing this topic go the way of bloodshed, so can we avoid that here?

Tess was, as we all know, trans, and that was weird to deal with when we were together and even after. I didn't know what it was. Tess got me up to speed, and now one of my best friends is trans too.

Trans folks are just like regular folks. I think its kind of like being born with a fucky leg or arm. Why wouldn't someone try to improve their daily life by getting a prosthesis or fixing your environment to accommodate your problem so you're ultimately happiest? Trans folks' bodies just made a mistake and they're fixing it like a person with no legs would get prosthesisesseis. 

I'm transgender and I've been on hormones for 20 months, although I've had to put them on pause recently because I'm moving.

It's not easy, and it never has been. I get most of my strength and confidence from those around me. People like Tess are what make me confident to be me.

I have quite a few friends that are transgendered, I even dated one through his transition. Fun people are fun people regardless of their identity. I hope when I'm old, the attitude that people take towards gender identity changes in a way that people do not get harassed and discriminated because how they feel about themselves. They are still people, having a gender identity that is different to the body you're born with doesn't justify being an a shitty person towards them. If anything you should be more considerate.

Edited by Sar
  • Like 2

I'm fine with them, as long as they aren't the Tumblrina type that turn it into their whole fucking personality.

Believe me, I dislike that, too. They do a great job at trivializing the whole transgender scene and make it seem like a "trend" or something to people who don't know any better. If their only exposure to transgender people are from that type, or the type that make up weird pronouns (and to an extent I'm iffy about anybody wanting to be referred to as "it"), they will see me or somebody else and think, "Staying away from that freak."

Edited by Eggdodger
  • Like 2

So to clarify instead of just posting something stupid like I did, I'm a transgirl. I don't talk about it often, and most people wouldn't even know because I don't talk about it. Never did like talking about my identity as I'm a fairly self-conscious person and I never liked trying to ask people to call me by this or that because I felt as though I was inconveniencing them. I always found it easier to just sort of leave my gender up in the air and let people interpret me how they please. But I've met quite a few transfolks and made good friends with them, including my girlfriend, and they've helped me open up a lot more.

So yeah. Go me.

• Like 2

Tess was, as we all know, trans, and that was weird to deal with when we were together and even after. I didn't know what it was. Tess got me up to speed, and now one of my best friends is trans too.

Trans folks are just like regular folks. I think its kind of like being born with a fucky leg or arm. Why wouldn't someone try to improve their daily life by getting a prosthesis or fixing your environment to accommodate your problem so you're ultimately happiest? Trans folks' bodies just made a mistake and they're fixing it like a person with no legs would get prosthesisesseis. 

I think of it more as "making the body match the brain" when it comes to transition. :P

So to clarify instead of just posting something stupid like I did, I'm a transgirl. I don't talk about it often, and most people wouldn't even know because I don't talk about it. Never did like talking about my identity as I'm a fairly self-conscious person and I never liked trying to ask people to call me by this or that because I felt as though I was inconveniencing them. I always found it easier to just sort of leave my gender up in the air and let people interpret me how they please. But I've met quite a few transfolks and made good friends with them, including my girlfriend, and they've helped me open up a lot more.

So yeah. Go me.

Hey, I totally gathered that from your post =) I don't think your post was offensive. I made this thread so I could know who's who around here with the whole trans scene.

Hey, I totally gathered that from your post =) I don't think your post was offensive. I made this thread so I could know who's who around here with the whole trans scene.

Yeah, I didn't think anyone took the post as anything negative, I just figured I should post something with purpose for this lol.

Everybody in the whole world loves you (or should) and you're awesome and brave. :3c

I wouldn't consider myself awesome or brave. I'm not out publicly, just among everyone I know online, and I'm not on hormones or anything, so I wouldn't really consider myself either of those things.

I just exist lol.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider myself awesome or brave. I'm not out publicly, just among everyone I know online, and I'm not on hormones or anything, so I wouldn't really consider myself either of those things.

I just exist lol.

It takes a lot of bravery just to come out to anyone at all :3

• Like 1

It takes a lot of bravery just to come out to anyone at all :3

I guess. Though the people I surround myself with are pretty accepting, so I guess I either really know how to pick my friend groups or I got horribly lucky lol.

As unfortunate as it might sound to a lot of people, Tumblr was the first place I was really exposed to Transgender people.

Tumblr has its glaring issues, especially with how it over glorifies LGBT+ people, they have good intentions, but in particular their encouragement toward people who invent their own pronouns and genders as a way to stick it to the gender binary has caused more harm than good.
How it severely misinterprets, and has in turn destroyed the image of what Feminism is supposed to be for so many people (Mostly because of just how many Tumblr 'feminists' are young, highly impressionable individuals who look up to the older Tumblr Radfem crowd), turning feminism into this buzzword for misandry, rather than actual equality.
And how it has fostered a dangerously over-nurturing environment that is raising a generation of hyper-sensitive people, some of whom have actually been convinced that they don't need to even attempt to get any help for any mental issues they might be suffering from, who are going to crash and burn when comes the time for them to enter the world and support themselves once they leave home.

But I do also recognise that Tumblr can hold some responsibility for a great deal of positivity on LGBT+ and Feminist issues over the recent years. And, while I would attribute most of my thanks toward my actual transgender friends, I also am thankful toward some of the Tumblr crowd for helping me figure out my own gender fluidity.

I also know that, while not a certainty, many transgender people eased into the idea by first exploring gender fluidity before reaching that point. So while I am comfortable with myself as things are, it may be that someday I'll also find myself there as well. And I'm glad that I have these people in my life that will be able to help me through it should that time come.

• Like 6

I was introduced to genderfluidity on FA actually. It's where I first met people who were trans or exploring their identity, and where I started figuring myself out. Tumblr helped me find supportive friends in the community who helped me come to terms with myself more.

• Like 1

I actually was exposed to the whole concept of transgender when my ex-girlfriend told me after we'd been dating for a while she wanted to be a dude. I considered myself straight at the time (ha), but I went along with it. It made me wonder a lot about myself, especially after we stopped dating. It took a couple years for it to really hit home, though. I'm trying to find an endocrinologist that will give me HRT in Hick County USA-- an effort in futility, it feels at times, but I'm going to keep looking. I'd like to not have to shave my face every morning.

I legitimately think there are more transgendered people on these forums than furries.

why-not-both.thumb.jpg.145f13899003e0ca8

For nontrans people:

I honestly understand that some people have dissenting opinions about it or maybe don't "get it"; I've seen other threads brushing this topic go the way of bloodshed, so can we avoid that here?

I. I don't think of them, at least not anymore. For a time, yes they were a serious concern, but over a time and thanks to spending time with them, I started ignoring that factor. Right now, I can even say, that I find questions like "would you vote a transgender person for a president if they were competent" insulting. Why would that even be a considered factor?

II. Yes.

III. Yes, I don't get it at all. Because I don't share those problems and I'm not even able to re-create your issues. Especially considering, that myself I have no special regard for my own gender. Not identifying myself as male, nor female, as it doesn't play any important roles in my life, being just me. I'm being male by being born male and having male body. I guess, wanting me to understand your problems is like asking a blind person to imagine how it is to see. Impossible. That's also, I think, the reason behind my previous stance on that topic, having always treated body as the only indicator of identity.

• Like 5

My best friend is a trans guy, and he has thus far been very patient with me considering the fact that I sometimes get pronouns wrong (his family hasn't really accepted it yet, and he prefers that I be polite and refer to him as 'she' when around them to avoid drama).  He's still the same lovable dork I met back in high school, so it's not terribly hard for me to accept the change.  I frankly have no problem with trans people, so long as at their core they are a decent person.  I do however have a problem with folks who treat it as a fashion accessory, and those who use it as being an excuse to be an asshole.  This is frankly how I feel about everything from sexuality to religion, and there isn't anything changing that opinion anytime soon.

• Like 3

I have no idea to approach the topic half the time...its a concept Ive vaguely learned about over time and am still learning about. Im not sure if I even 'count', per se.

Its just...when I read about a comic character who was hinted at being transgender, it clicked so much that I felt like this character, and at the time I didnt even know it was transgender (this was all of 9th grade as Id been naive to most everything forever.

After about ayear or so of learning more of this, I started debating whether I was or not, because of how much it 'felt' right. But I didnt just want to say I was because I dont want to be a special snowflake tumblrina either. I didnt want to invalidate the feelings of people who really were trans if I was just...playing at it. Shouldnt I be okay as I am?

So I dont know...At the time and still now. I know transgender people suffer body dysphoria. I only do to an extent, ranging from indifference to frustration. I feel as if the physical change is a preference, and as much as I feel Im still good-looking as I am, It still feels iffy; I was never fond of puberty generating these secondary characteristics, I just went with it because I have to, it is what it is. But never have I been depressed nor suicidal. Along with that I just dislike femininity on myself as a whole. Naturally I know I dont /need/ to be a boy to be boyish...but at the same time why is it Id feel so dissapointed then if I dont 'qualify' per se, I figured if its how I feel so bad then maybe its true.

In any case, Ive referred to myself mentally as male for so long before I did the official pronoun thing/genderbend thing online. Ive really liked that since. I figure if Im just some poser people already pretend to be rocks and Len Kagamine so I cant be that awful.

Really the only thing stopping me from delving deeper/expressing myself further is society/reality. Damn do I wish I lived in an alternate universe I really have no qualms and would not hesitate any physical changes.Edit: Sometimes it feels hopeless, just a game. Whats the point of pretending to be what I'll never look like, as much as I like people acknowledging my gender. Is the scorn really worth the effort, shouldnt I just ignore the issuesof gender and just be myself, genderless.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

For nontrans people:

It's a foreign concept to me because gender isn't really important to my identity. I exist in a male body so I consider myself male. If I had existed in a female one instead (inb4 'you did') then I don't think I would care. If life had a character creation menu I could have gone either way—and I'd probably have like 50 alts. So I find the dysphoria hard to imagine: I've never experienced anything like that. Otherwise I don't really have much opinion of it, except something like 'wow how did basically all of you end up right here?'.

I don't think I've known any trans people off the internet but then if it's going well for them I suppose I wouldn't notice the difference.

• Like 1

I'm not but I'm close to a disproportionate number of people who are and I don't know what I should "think of them" other than that I'm sympathetic to their plight and implicitly I want them to be happy.

As long as shit doesn't get into tumblr tier fantasy genders I don't see any reason to bring it up unless they want to talk about it. They're my friends and I care about them the same way I would about anyone else, but I don't think it's my place to proactively treat them like they're made of glass when we interact.

• Like 2

i recall reading something said by a specific someone that I felt were my feelings. I used to do things, rather in habit or need to, to reflect what Im supposed to be, a mindless task of must. I got upset and wished my features had reflected what is supposed to be typical, so I did things to make it so on occassion.

later I realized that I didnt need to do any of this, it was only being done for the purpose of fitting in. I realized I didnt want this, I wanted to be rid of it.

I used to enjoy the concept of genderbend characters, the idea that one could be the same person but an XY or an XX. I started doing that with my 'sona for fun. Ultimately though, my 'sona was originally a representation of myself as I was, but itstarted to become something of a puppet of my ideals and desires. Instead of portraying it as female I changed it to male, because it was the ideal that Id longed for. I was naturally more drawn to the male form than the female, and it is now me.