What's the fuck up with my neighbors and friends

Crazy Lee

So, I might have just lost a friend AND have a neighbor who hates me now, all because of stupidity.

At my apartment there happened to be a shared kitchen area with a sink. I came in to brush my teeth in said sink, saw that someone was preparing meat in another corner. I started brushing my teeth. This Romanian guy who moved in a month ago comes in, probably to prepare the meat in the corner, and gets upset that I'm using the sink to brush my teeth. I finish and get into an argument with him. He's like "The sink is for food and kitchen things, not for brushing teeth. That's what the bathroom is for." I don't know why he has such a demand to use the kitchen sink ONLY for kitchen things, and the bathroom sink ONLY for bathroom things. Is it a personal thing, or something that's a part of his Romanian heritage, I don't know.

Later, I mentioned it on my FB only for a friend to get into this long rant against me that I'm entitled and being selfish, that my opinion doesn't supersede his. That by using the sink for oral health I am ignoring his wishes, that since it's a shared sink that I need to respect his wishes and not use the sink to brush my teeth.

Okay, first off, both of us pay rent for that sink. Second, this was the first time he freaked out about it. How the FUCK was I supposed to know that would make him so upset? In the future, I have decided I would not brush my teeth around him so I won't upset him again. But I don't see why I should just stop using the sink to brush my teeth just because captain germaphobe doens't like it. I can't believe my likely-former friend was claiming I was being selfish because I want to brush my teeth in the sink, and I can somehow read minds and tell this guy would get upset about it. So I should just safe-space the fuck out of my life and never do anything that might REMOTELY upset someone else.

I've lived at that place for 11 years now. This guy moved in a month ago. If anything, if he doesn't like me using the sink to brush my teeth, he can fucking leave.
Oh yea, and my friend kept equating me using the sink for toothbrushing to shitting in the sink or pissing in the sink. Um, two fucking different things people. Am I surrounded by Detective Monk-level germaphobes here?

I am fucking done right now.

...How do you keep letting yourself get into interpersonal conflict and holding grudges over the STUPID SHIT EVER?

Any other normal human being would have just said 'Yeah, I guess it's a bit weird to brush my teeth in the kitchen sink, sorry, I'll stop' but you have to get into these messes.  ...What do you hope to gain in any of this?

11 years? yeah, fuck that guy.

i feel the same way in work camps, because it's just a rolling thing with them that you and your neighbour share the same bathroom with paper-thin walls, if i've had the same room for a pile of time and some new neighbour rolls in and starts pulling a pile of bullshit, it's fucking game on. if I'm the new guy in a room, then it's like okay, it is what it is.

i can't fucking stand people that can't get off the phone, it literally drives me fucking insane. when some prick-ass motherfucker wakes me up in the middle of the night fucking yammering on to whoever the fuck, i cannot at all keep calm, it's like 0 to fucking redline in half a second. there's always gotta be a moment to kind of take things in and make sure i'm not just misunderstanding the situation, and then when i realize it's super late at night/early in the morning, that they're just bsing with thier spouse/whoever, and my fucking alarm is going to go off wayyy sooner than i would ever want it to because i am hundreds of kilometres away from home with a fucking job to wake up for, FUCK YOU! holy fuck, fuck you. nothing like working 12hrs when it's minus fucking 40 pissed off all day because your awesome fucking neighbour couldn't shut the fuck up and let you have more than 4hrs of sleep.

especially when you fucking yell "it's FUCKING TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING, SHUT THE FUCK UP" and they just go quiet for a bit, then continue on like you just forgot about them, then it's door-time. i fucking hate conflict, i fucking hate knowing who my fucking neighbour is in the first place, but fuck me i cannot handle that shit. i try to be as reasonable as possible, namely because i hate the fact that i have to fucking talk to these dickheads in the first place, and it's so fucking hard to do when you've just spent the last x amount of time quietly losing your fucking shit for being woke up from a dead sleep because some asshole is just a general fucking asshole living up to its name. it's shitty enough being stuck in fucking camp, fuck people that talk on the fucking phone in their room. seriously, fuck everything about them. there's fucking rec-rooms, smoke shacks, main hallways, soo many places for them to not be fucking lowlife fucking assholes driving all of their fucking neighbours up the fucking walls, but that's what they choose to do, all the fucking time. it's not just one guy. there's so fucking many of them, guaranteed you spend enough time in one room on your regular rotation, you will end up with one of these fucking DEGENERATE FUCKS as a neighbour, fuck me. i don't even know how i got on this topic, this is like my biggest beef ever, though. fuck.

I'm not a particular fan of the idea of brushing teeth in the kitchen sink, to be honest. Saliva can pass on some medical conditions such as Hep B, and if you've gum problems it could also contain blood which is even worse. Besides the (minor) health-related issues, there's also not usually a mirror over the kitchen sink, so how do you check your brushwork afterwards?

Mind you I probably wouldn't go crazy over it provided there weren't any plates or things in the sink at the time and you washed it out well afterwards, but I'd say there really isn't much reason to do it either unless the bathroom is occupied.

-F

• Like 2

On 4/23/2018 at 8:36 AM, Wrecker said:

11 years? yeah, fuck that guy.

i feel the same way in work camps, because it's just a rolling thing with them that you and your neighbour share the same bathroom with paper-thin walls, if i've had the same room for a pile of time and some new neighbour rolls in and starts pulling a pile of bullshit, it's fucking game on. if I'm the new guy in a room, then it's like okay, it is what it is.

i can't fucking stand people that can't get off the phone, it literally drives me fucking insane. when some prick-ass motherfucker wakes me up in the middle of the night fucking yammering on to whoever the fuck, i cannot at all keep calm, it's like 0 to fucking redline in half a second. there's always gotta be a moment to kind of take things in and make sure i'm not just misunderstanding the situation, and then when i realize it's super late at night/early in the morning, that they're just bsing with thier spouse/whoever, and my fucking alarm is going to go off wayyy sooner than i would ever want it to because i am hundreds of kilometres away from home with a fucking job to wake up for, FUCK YOU! holy fuck, fuck you. nothing like working 12hrs when it's minus fucking 40 pissed off all day because your awesome fucking neighbour couldn't shut the fuck up and let you have more than 4hrs of sleep.

especially when you fucking yell "it's FUCKING TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING, SHUT THE FUCK UP" and they just go quiet for a bit, then continue on like you just forgot about them, then it's door-time. i fucking hate conflict, i fucking hate knowing who my fucking neighbour is in the first place, but fuck me i cannot handle that shit. i try to be as reasonable as possible, namely because i hate the fact that i have to fucking talk to these dickheads in the first place, and it's so fucking hard to do when you've just spent the last x amount of time quietly losing your fucking shit for being woke up from a dead sleep because some asshole is just a general fucking asshole living up to its name. it's shitty enough being stuck in fucking camp, fuck people that talk on the fucking phone in their room. seriously, fuck everything about them. there's fucking rec-rooms, smoke shacks, main hallways, soo many places for them to not be fucking lowlife fucking assholes driving all of their fucking neighbours up the fucking walls, but that's what they choose to do, all the fucking time. it's not just one guy. there's so fucking many of them, guaranteed you spend enough time in one room on your regular rotation, you will end up with one of these fucking DEGENERATE FUCKS as a neighbour, fuck me. i don't even know how i got on this topic, this is like my biggest beef ever, though. fuck.

I had a neighbour one time in a dorm who liked to sing very loudly (and very badly) late in the evenings. Loudly enough I could hear him from the other end of the corridor anyhow. I never said anything because I didn't know what the fuck I would possibly say and eventually it got to the point where it had gone on so long it would've been weirder to say anything now.

So fast forward a year and his sleep schedule gets fucked up and his nights turn into his days, he would sing what I could only assume was an opera rendition of an Adele song at 4AM and earplugs became my best friend.

My other roommates actually said they liked his voice.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:57 PM, AshleyAshes said:

...How do you keep letting yourself get into interpersonal conflict and holding grudges over the STUPID SHIT EVER?

Any other normal human being would have just said 'Yeah, I guess it's a bit weird to brush my teeth in the kitchen sink, sorry, I'll stop' but you have to get into these messes.  ...What do you hope to gain in any of this?

It was actually the friend who was flipping out at me. That's what I was wondering. "Why is everyone making a big deal about this?" I rinse out the sink when I'm done, and the amount of "germs" I get in the sink are probably the same amount that me cleaning my dishes in the sink produce. Or preparing uncooked meat, which would have MORE bacteria and viruses.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, Zaraphayx said:

You should go try and brush your teeth at the food prep station during your next shfit at McDonald's and see how that works out for you.

Nice analogy. Comparing a private kitchen sink only available to a small group of individuals and not the general public to a public restaurant that's under strict health codes is a bad comparison. Until the government applies food service health codes to my kitchen the argument does not apply. Here, this article might help you with that.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, Silo said:

who the fuck brushes their teeth in the kitchen sink?

I do. I also do my dishes there. Really, people should be thankful I clean my mouth and dishes unlike a lot of furs.

In any case it's a moot point, the friend who was flipping out over me on social media and acting like it was the end of the world has yet to unfriend or block me, so I guess she calmed down about it. She has serious anxiety issues so that might be the problem. Whatever.

Just saying, you brush your teeth with pretty much what is soap, and I rinse the sink out when I'm done (and I never do it if the sink is not empty). The bathroom isn't always as clean or sanitary. And whatever germs come from my tooth brushing can't be as bad as the germs on my silverware and plates when I wash them, or on raw meat if I drain the meat in the same sink (I never let any food touch the sink though, don't know what other people have used it for).

On 5/3/2018 at 6:17 PM, Crazy Lee said:

Nice analogy. Comparing a private kitchen sink only available to a small group of individuals and not the general public to a public restaurant that's under strict health codes is a bad comparison. Until the government applies food service health codes to my kitchen the argument does not apply. Here, this article might help you with that.

Bacteria don't care about the legal reach of health codes you dumb bitch lmao

• Like 1

Okay, but
why not use the bathroom sink?
Do you also wash dishes in the bathroom?

I just don't see the point in even having a conflict here, and why it meant so much to you to get into an internet slapfight with a friend on social media.
Why is being able to brush your teeth in the kitchen sink even important to you?

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure that this is one of those 'Tip Of The Iceberg' deals.  While Lee says they 'just brushed their teeth in the kitchen' it sounds like there's a protracted history of behaviors that are followed with irrational defenses and overreactions.  This is, for sure, far from an isolated incident and they're just trying to present it in a way that makes them look a victim.

In short, Drama City.

• Like 1

I don't think the problem with brushing one's teeth in the communal sink is exactly to do with how hygenic it is, probably no one has gotten sick from someone doing that, but it's just one of those things that's frowned upon in society. If the vast majority of people are squicked out by it and are telling ya not to do it, it's probably best not to do it shrug

On 2018-05-15 at 5:47 PM, Battlechili said:

>Gamedog is back

Wh-what?!! What made you come back? Quiet times these are.

When you need to complain about a family member or roommate, I’ll be there.

When you want to post photos of your pets but don’t know where to post them, I’ll be there.

When you’re getting undressed for bed in the comfort and privacy of your bedroom, I’ll be there.

I’ll always be there for you.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:54 AM, Vae said:

Okay, but
why not use the bathroom sink?
Do you also wash dishes in the bathroom?

I just don't see the point in even having a conflict here, and why it meant so much to you to get into an internet slapfight with a friend on social media.
Why is being able to brush your teeth in the kitchen sink even important to you?

I agree with Vae.

it'd be one thing if you were the ONLY person using the sink but you have other people to consider. If this new guy pays as much rent as you do then it doesn't really matter who was there first. I'd also have a problem with someone brushing his teeth in the kitchen sink. A( I don't wanna have to watch you brush your teeth, gargle, and spit in the same room where I prep and eat my food. It's just plain rude tbh and B(A sink is a sink there's no reason you can't use the one in the bathroom, privately. It's also not hygienic, and I don't mean because of your germs specifically but if you were to drop your tooth brush in that sink you run the risk of getting all kinds of nasty bacteria on it and a simple rinse is not going to be enough to kill all of them. You're putting yourself at a higher risk for parasites, salmonella, or mold born infections, even if you regularly clean your sink the sheer amount of food particles that ends up in there on a daily basis makes it impossible to keep sanitary.  Your bathroom sink is likely cleaner and doesn't come into contact with raw meats or rotten food, it's just more sensible to brush there. 

7 hours ago, Socketosis said:

It probably does come into contact with poop particles though. :V

Probably a good policy never to drop any toothbrush in any sink tbh. 

Granted the traces of E.coli bacteria are probably still not as bad as the cocktail of  veg and meat rot that tends to accumulate in the basin of a kitchen sink. Poop is super yucky but medically speaking there are actually worse things your body can come into contact with.