Rant: More Threats

Sidewalk Surfboard

You know the school shooting that happened yesterday? Well, now there's rumors going around that there will be a shooter at schools in my area. There was a bomb threat at our rival school. A lot of kids have been taken home by their parents, and I'm scared shitless.

I doubt anyone would shoot up your school, but why not just leave? Your safety is more important than a suspension or something. 

Hide yo' women, hide yo' children.

I wouldn't expect it to be serious. That's usual reaction of the society after similar events. Enough to look at the increase of the false bombing attack alarms after Madrid train bombings. Suddenly, false alarms everywhere in the western world. The best thing you can do is not to give into mass hysteria and go on normally with your usual business.

• Like 1

If they take action against you for leaving school grounds on the basis that someone has made a threat against the school, therefore against the student body and faculty within, then they're a piece of shit and should be blasted across the media for being such shit. Everyone loves a good metaphorical tar and feathering.

Furthermore, if that's a rumor, why in the FUCK did your district decide it was AWWWW RIGHT to have schools in session? Guess that state funding per student, per active school day is worth more than some lives, eh?

• Like 6

Because it's, as you said, a rumor. You honestly think that governments and institutions are going to act because of a rumor? Definitely, giving in into a mass hysteria is the best way to go.

So, some dumbasses have been using that oppurtunity to make prank calls regarding bombs planted. And only because of that you think it's right to close workplaces and suspend lessons?

Edited by Ayattar

Because it's, as you said, a rumor. You honestly think that governments and institutions are going to act because of a rumor? Definitely, giving in into a mass hysteria is the best way to go.

So, some dumbasses have been using that oppurtunity to make prank calls regarding bombs planted. And only because of that you think it's right to close workplaces and suspend lessons?

How did they expect to have kids focus on lessons when they're scared anyway? What would be the point? It'd show that they were concerned for the safety of their students if they were to close down, even if they had to play it off as a day of grieving for the students shot yesterday. 

This just shows they're willing to play with their student's lives, whether the threat is real or not. 

Um yes? You can't really know for sure if someone is bluffing or not now and do you honestly want to risk lives on the chance that that call wasn't a prank?

Um yes? You can't really know for sure if someone is bluffing or not now and do you honestly want to risk lives on the chance that that call wasn't a prank?

Okay. So if I keep on calling my former University every day, informing them, that there is a bomb on the campus, they're obliged to cancel all the activities?

And if students are scared so much, then it shows that someone, somewhere already failed, as the paranoia managed to root too deep. In that particular case you could learn from the French. Show them that you're afraid, and it will continue.

Edited by Ayattar

Okay. So if I keep on calling my former University every day, informing them, that there is a bomb on the campus, they're obliged to cancel all the activities?

And if students are scared so much, then it shows that someone, somewhere already failed, as the paranoia managed to root too deep. In that particular case you could learn from the French. Show them that you're afraid, and it will continue.

Let's just order children not to be scared of dying. That'll work. 

• Like 1

Imagine yourself being in charge of a school. You get a call saying that a bomb is gonna be detonated on campus the next day and you dismiss it as a prank and nothing more and classes go as planned.

You end up being wrong, bomb goes off and lives are lost, many people injured. 

Now when it comes to light that you got a call the day before the incident that a bomb was gonna go off and you did nothing about it, that's your ass right there.

Instead of acting all "We can't show them we're afraid" think about the worst case scenario and assume the threat made was serious. People are fucking nuts nowadays, unpredictable. I'm not gonna gamble people's lives, all because "I have to show no fear"

Seriously man, think!

• Like 1

Imagine [...]

I'd take all necesary precautions, asking adequate services to check the building in the meanwhile, most preferably at night, and then asking for some extra guards from the police. That's all. It's the only valid way of solving such problems. It's how it's being solved here.

Seriously, with your attitude a single nut can paralyze a whole country.

• Like 1

I'd take all necesary precautions, asking adequate services to check the building in the meanwhile, most preferably at night, and then asking for some extra guards from the police. That's all. It's the only valid way of solving such problems. It's how it's being solved here.

Seriously, with your attitude a single nut can paralyze a whole country.

Its interesting you say you'd do all that when earlier you were against giving into mass hysteria or paranoia. Taking all those precautions, technically is giving into some kind of paranoia cause you don't want to take any chances.

I was home sick during high school one day and my mom got a call that the school was under a bomb threat cause one of the students saw writing in a bathroom stall about a bomb going off. The whole school was evacuated, to the outskirts of the parking lot and a bomb squad was called. Once it was given the all clear, class continued as scheduled even though there was less than hour of class left due to how long the procedure took

Its interesting you say you'd do all that when earlier you were against giving into mass hysteria or paranoia. Taking all those precautions, technically is giving into some kind of paranoia cause you don't want to take any chances.

Well, there is a certain difference between taking necessary precautions (even if only as an arse-procection) and paranoia. Beasides, such proceedings, as far as I know, are required by the law.

And in such situation sight of some policemen, or even soldiers, patrolling the area should be comforting for the students.

Given the fact that since the Sandy Hook incident there's been approximately a shooting per week, I'd say do a little more than nothing. There's been 2 these past two weeks alone that I can recall (the Oregon shooting and a local shooting in my area).

Adding in your quote here: "And in such situation sight of some policemen, or even soldiers, patrolling the area should be comforting for the students."

That'd probably scare off some young punk, assuming it's a high school, particularly if soldiers (such as the National Guard) were present. It'd be a good solution to OP's localized problem.

Edited by Ratmomma

Maybe, I'm not going to argue. From what I've seen, you have a totally different approach towards police and armed forces. And a shooting per a week... That's hard to imagine for me.

o.0 I do? Is that a good thing? How do you feel people view them?

And I had some trouble imagining a shooting a week, but then remembered there's 52 weeks to a year.

52 + 52 = 104

So with the estimation being a shooting a week, (excluding 2012 as the mentioned incident happened in December '12), '13 and '14 we're at 104 weeks/shootings. If the trend continues to the end of the year, we'll be at 156, so we're in that range, assuming a shooting DOES happen a week and they're simply 'too small' to bother making it into national media.

I mean, I'm not an american, it's hard to imagine it from my european point of view. Like, even if we summed up France, Germany, Poland, Italy, Spain and UK we still wouldn't have even 30% of those shootings despite having similar number of citizens. Your homicide ratio is also terrifying.

Well, and that depends on the country. Here, for example, people automatically feel secure, but also feel guilty, even if they aren't. Like, we're hearing our whole lifes that those services are guaranteeing peace and security, so people are very unlikely to freak out in their presence.

I mean, I'm not an american, it's hard to imagine it from my european point of view. Like, even if we summed up France, Germany, Poland, Italy, Spain and UK we still wouldn't have even 30% of those shootings despite having similar number of citizens. Your homicide ratio is also terrifying.

Well, and that depends on the country. Here, for example, people automatically feel secure, but also feel guilty, even if they aren't. Like, we're hearing our whole lifes that those services are guaranteeing peace and security, so people are very unlikely to freak out in their presence.

Yeah... there's a LOT of gun violence in the US, unfortunately, but there's too many people squabbling over gun control which results in no better management solutions being put into place. And I agree, the homicide rate IS fucking terrifying. I find the US as a whole to be obscenely violent, which is sad really. It's pretty pathetic that you can't let you kid out to play or go to the gas station for candy without worrying someone will kidnap them or shoot them or some shit.

I'm personally a little leery of people in positions of power (police, military), but I think that stems more from the fact that I was sexually assaulted by a member of the military.

A lot of the shootings here are gang related, which is just a little different from regular civil matters.

I had thought that people here felt secure, but taking to prior from other areas I find that many of them are on guard. It varies of course. Everyone is aware that things can change quickly, and everyone is watching it happen one way or the other. 

Just got back home, thank jesus it wasn't a real threat. However, a ton of fucking people left during the day, leaving only around 150 students (including myself) out of 700 at school. There was no more than 5 students in each of my class periods.

Well, you're back safe and nothing happened. Time to take a nice cold drink of something drinkable.

• Like 2

To be honest, a rumour like that being started by a bunch of kids at their own school, after what happened elsewhere seems... normal. I'd be more surprised if a rumour wasn't started up.

Teens just love messing with people :v

Edited by Hewge

Anyone who makes up these BS copycat rumors for the lulz should be publicly flogged.

In medieval England, a device existed called the Scold's bridle. It was used on women who "gossiped" too much or otherwise spoke out of line. Most variations of this device would lock the tongue in a position that made it impossible for the subject to talk. I suggest we bring it back and use it on people who start shitty rumours or make juvenile threats. 

Edited by Kaedal
  • Like 1