The Pokemon Thread

SirRob

Pokemon go is not available in Europe yet (due to flimsy servers struggling from US alone) so I had to download APK file of the game for my Android from an unofficial source. I was a bit scared the file is cracked and installs a malware but it seems clean and works whenever servers are up

Welp, time to go to local park for some... "walking" 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

Pokemon go is not available in Europe yet (due to flimsy servers struggling from US alone) so I had to download APK file of the game for my Android from an unofficial source. I was a bit scared the file is cracked and installs a malware but it seems clean and works whenever servers are up

Welp, time to go to local park for some... "walking" 

My friends did this because we live in the UK
I'm too scared because Niantic said they'd ban people for that

I have yet to see a Pikachu. I saw a gym with a Raichu once, that's it.

Also, it's 11pm and I just went outside because there was a Ponita close to my apartment. This is... Weird O_o
Oh and no I didn't catch it. It disappeared when I got close to it.

Oh and apparently my apartment is a freaking Zubat cave DX

• Like 1

Has anyone tried running Pokemon GO on an ipod yet? I've heard it works on iphone (obviously xD) & ipad but that's about it. Hoping once it's released in Canada I'll be able to play it, even if just at wifi spots. x_x

I've made it to the final dungeon of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky and I've already cried. I haven't even beaten the game yet.

Also I can't bring myself to actually go through the final dungeon because the music of the dungeon is too good.

I've been playing Pokemon Go in Spain since I got it on the 10th, so it's out in Spain. Unfortunately my internet is very limited, just to wifi spots, but I have plenty of rattatas in every hotel room staying at, so there that.

On 16.7.2016 at 2:41 AM, SirRob said:

I cheesed my way through two levels using a free Lucky Egg and evolving Pidgeys and Rattatas over and over in my room. Tomorrow I'm going to spend the morning actually playing the game for real, lol.

Catching as many Pidgeys, Caterpies and and Weedles as you can to evolve them all at once while using a lucky egg is apparently the best way to level up quickly :) If you evolve 20 of them in one evolving frenzy you can instantly gain 20k exp and pretty much skip a level.

• Like 1

Man I'm so god damned behind with Pokémon games. I've never played DPP or BW1/2 and have yet to finish the post-game of either Soul Silver or X.

I wanted to buy Omega Ruby the other day but it was still nearly £40 so fuck that.

So QUESTION what are the new Pokémon lineups looking like now? I'm hoping to get my hands on a lot of gen 1-3 pokémon once Sun/Moon hits. Will I be able to do that? It'd suck balls if I couldn't get the Johto/Hoenn starters (I know you can get the Kanto starters from X/Y through trades).

1 hour ago, Sir Gibby said:

Man I'm so god damned behind with Pokémon games. I've never played DPP or BW1/2 and have yet to finish the post-game of either Soul Silver or X.

I wanted to buy Omega Ruby the other day but it was still nearly £40 so fuck that.

So QUESTION what are the new Pokémon lineups looking like now? I'm hoping to get my hands on a lot of gen 1-3 pokémon once Sun/Moon hits. Will I be able to do that? It'd suck balls if I couldn't get the Johto/Hoenn starters (I know you can get the Kanto starters from X/Y through trades).

Game Freak always do what they can to make sure all pokemon are in recent circulation. The first game in a generation grants access to loads of pokemon from plenty of gens. 

Gen 1: Sun and Moon were confirmed to be able to link to Red/Blue virtual console and Pokemon Go

Gen 3: It wouldn't be too hard to find people who own OR/AS. E.g. me, and many people in this thread.

Gen 2 doesn't have many pokemon in it, and they're all sprinkled around the recent titles. The Johto Starters are awarded in OR/AS as a post game thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Game Freak always do what they can to make sure all pokemon are in recent circulation. The first game in a generation grants access to loads of pokemon from plenty of gens. 

Gen 1: Sun and Moon were confirmed to be able to link to Red/Blue virtual console and Pokemon Go

Gen 3: It wouldn't be too hard to find people who own OR/AS. E.g. me, and many people in this thread.

Gen 2 doesn't have many pokemon in it, and they're all sprinkled around the recent titles. The Johto Starters are awarded in OR/AS as a post game thing.

Excellent news! Very helpful, thank you. I think when I get Sun/Moon I'll breed copies of my starter so I can grab as many of the others as I can through online trade

• Like 1

So near where I live there is a real life Gary Oak.

He is a rich kid who is able to spend all his time going around the city with his friends all the gyms. When my friend was looking on Pokemon Go all the gyms nearby were owned by him and his friends who where all around lv 25. His name is "Pokemyballs"

I was thinking of making a separate thread for this, but how 'bout we organise a Pokémon tourney once Sun and Moon comes out?

We could use the Smogon tiers as a sort of agreed upon guideline, preferably one sort of in the middle, rather than one that revolves around rares and ubers as to not exclude people who aren't mega-dedicated to the series. You know, where people can use their Pidgeots and Mightyenas rather than obsessively bred/IV-EV'd Garchomps and Alakazams.

We could make it a semi-regular thing on this forum, it could be a lot of fun. Doesn't have to have a prize either, except maybe have the first person to lose use MSpaint to draw a badge for the champion.

1 hour ago, Sir Gibby said:

I was thinking of making a separate thread for this, but how 'bout we organise a Pokémon tourney once Sun and Moon comes out?

We could use the Smogon tiers as a sort of agreed upon guideline, preferably one sort of in the middle, rather than one that revolves around rares and ubers as to not exclude people who aren't mega-dedicated to the series. You know, where people can use their Pidgeots and Mightyenas rather than obsessively bred/IV-EV'd Garchomps and Alakazams.

We could make it a semi-regular thing on this forum, it could be a lot of fun. Doesn't have to have a prize either, except maybe have the first person to lose use MSpaint to draw a badge for the champion.

That sounds tite. I'd be down <; a UU or RU tourney would be fun

10 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Don't bother grinding all those candies in PoGo - by the time you've got enough to evolve your pokemon, odds are you've already caught the evolved version or the non-evolved version at a higher level anyways.

Tiger: Sweet! Growlithe! Time to grind more of these until I can evolve to Arcanine!

*twenty minutes later, catches CP260 Arcanine, still only has a CP70 Growlithe.*

Tiger: Great, that was a waste of time. Oh well, at least 0.1km until this egg hatc.... *CP310 Arcanine pops out* DAMNIT!

Can confirm. Finally got my Pidgotto to evolve, CP 186. Found a Pidgeot CP 230 the next day.

Didn't catch it unfortunately. The game froze. Thank you Niantic. 

From watching the gym near my house, I can deduce that there are at least six Team Valour players in the area. Only two from Team Mystic, including myself. The other mystic player is stronger than me, so every time I see them take the gym I bolster it as soon as I can because I just can't take it myself. 

It never seems to matter though. Those red bastards always have it back within an hour. I need to get stronger but I don't want to put actual effort into this. xD

"Pokémon grow stronger by raising their levels and increasing their base stats. However, their power is still affected by the individual strengths innate to each Pokémon. Now, with Hyper Training, Pokémon that have grown to Lv. 100 will be able to increase their individual strengths, which has never been possible before."

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/max-out-your-pokemon-with-hyper-training/

6 hours ago, SirRob said:

"Pokémon grow stronger by raising their levels and increasing their base stats. However, their power is still affected by the individual strengths innate to each Pokémon. Now, with Hyper Training, Pokémon that have grown to Lv. 100 will be able to increase their individual strengths, which has never been possible before."

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/max-out-your-pokemon-with-hyper-training/

This is awesome. I never had the time to breed a competitive team but with this I might actually have a chance :P

I mean let's be honest here. The games constantly preach that any Pokémon can be great as long as you train and raise it properly, yet at the same time you needed to generate literally hundreds of new Pokémon through inbreeding to get a few mutant freaks with perfect IVs while the rest gets to rot in the PC boxes. And the team you raised to get through the singleplayer campaign is also useless once you start to fight other people.
But now you might actually be able to use part of that team competitively! :o

• Like 1

Useful information for the Pokémon GO incense item:

dl3g54sman9x.png

This essentially means that when you use an incense the effect will spawn a Pokémon every 5 minutes if you are not moving or not moving a whole lot.
However, if you move at least 200 meters in 60 seconds or less it will spawn a Pokémon every 60 seconds!

200 meters in 60 seconds pretty much means you have to be jogging and not just walking to get the most out of an incense. To me that means I won't be using them anymore when I am using a lure module. I might not bother with them anymore at all because guaranteed 6 'Mons in 30 minutes when I walk slower than 3.3 m/s is not that good. Also, the way the game tracks the distance you walk isn't perfectly accurate, so even if you are jogging it might screw you over and just give you one Pokémon every 5 minutes regardles of speed and distance.
This also explains why I never had much luck with incense.

• Like 2

@Käpt'n My friend and I bike around so I'm wondering if that would be the best time to use an incense. Not as fast as a car to where it won't register (which is what I've heard, especially when trying to hatch eggs) but not as slow as walking. I'll have to test this out, thanks for the info! :P

16 hours ago, Cyberra said:

The only thing I don't like about that new horse pokemon is the flap or pale curve under its eyes. It makes it look drunk or sleepy or something. But I'll still shiny hunt it.

You've decided to shiny hunt it even if the game isn't out yet.

Seriously, this pokemon GO is getting into me... I'm a fan of pokemon but this is too much :V

22 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

200 meters in 60 seconds pretty much means you have to be jogging and not just walking to get the most out of an incense.

Could have something to do with the speed you walk. I power walk out of habit and the incense works fine for me. Three nights ago I popped an incense and a lucky egg and walked to the shops. I managed to catch over a dozen pokemon, evolved the ones I could straight away and this method got me a full level's worth of experience within the half hour.

1 hour ago, FlynnCoyote said:

Could have something to do with the speed you walk. I power walk out of habit and the incense works fine for me. Three nights ago I popped an incense and a lucky egg and walked to the shops. I managed to catch over a dozen pokemon, evolved the ones I could straight away and this method got me a full level's worth of experience within the half hour.

I popped an egg today, got 25k exp from evolving stuff and pretty much skipped level 19 :P

I was walking home from my town's main street, and out of nowhere, BAM! Wild Snorlax. 1.3k CP. I went up to a gym that was on my way home and I noticed some little kids were trying to take it over. Instead I just steamrolled it and claimed it as my own. I'm an adult.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirRob said:

I was walking home from my town's main street, and out of nowhere, BAM! Wild Snorlax. 1.3k CP. I went up to a gym that was on my way home and I noticed some little kids were trying to take it over. Instead I just steamrolled it and claimed it as my own. I'm an adult.

You're a real life Pokemon Master ~

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

You've decided to shiny hunt it even if the game isn't out yet.

Seriously, this pokemon GO is getting into me... I'm a fan of pokemon but this is too much :V

xD And I ain't the only one. Shiny hunters have been planning hunts since the new games were announced

2 hours ago, 6tails said:

I am constantly amazed at what stuff people get into while playing PoGo irresponsibly.

Crashing into parked police vehicles with police standing next to said vehicles, illegally crossing country borders by accident and getting stopped by border patrol, FALLING DOWN A MINESHAFT (This happened near me on BLM lands), come on guys, have some situational awareness!

A girl was hit by car because she was too dumb to look at the street and now her mother and her judge the game.  LMAO