Favorite engine?

Wrecker

Wow this isn't an easy question to answer. So many different engines for so many different applications. Even the various makes have good aspects specific to that brand's own vehicles.

• GM - 350 Cubic Inch Displacement Small Block V-8 - Parts for this widely popular engine are really abundant and modifications are easy.to find.
  • Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth/MOPAR - 318 Cubic Inch Displacement V-8 - This was the engine for most Dodge Pickup trucks from the 1970's oil embargo days until 2007 or so. It was a solid power-plant, I had one in a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 and it was tough as nails and lasted over 180,000 miles. It had good mid-range torque. The 20 MPH to 50 MPH range in my Ram 1500 was where it was a monster.
  • Ford - 351 Cubic Inch Displacement Windsor V-8 - this is Ford's answer to the GM small block and it is a beast as well. My brother had one of these in his 1991 Ford Bronco 4x4 and it was tough as nails and had power to throw around.
  • Toyota - 4.5 Litre Displacement I-6 (or L-6) 24-Valve DOHC (Toyota's FZ series) - It was in the Land Cruisers between 1984 and 2009 and the only Land Cruiser models I would consider owning. it was quite innovative for its time, when it was introduced, with one of the first iterations of Variable Valve Timing. 
  • Jeep - 4.0 Litre I-6 (or L-6) - It was an engine whose previous iterations (258 or 282 Cubic Inch I-6's) and pedigrees persisted from the 1960's through part of the 2000's. It is a good engine, sold millions, and strictly speaking, isn't terribly difficult to tear down and repair, something I rather enjoy about it.
  • Modern GM 5.3 Litre is a good modern V-8. The one in my 2008 Suburban gives it enough punch, I think if I were in a race between my former 1997 Ram 1500 (with comparable wear and tear, and modifications) and in my 2008 Suburban, I think the Suburban would beat the Ram. But like a Chimpanzee trying to work an algebra problem, I am totally lost when I open the hood on it. The modern engines have gotten much too sophisticated for shade-tree mechanics to repair in their garages.

There are others, but these so far are my favorites. 

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

I only know generic stuff about cars, and how internal combustion engines work. I uh, love American made v8s. They sound awesome and they produce a lot of torque. Squash dem dayam rice burners alright hyuck!

They even go good in boats!

Dunno much about v12s, but I love the sound of em. :)

Skylar,  one of the last flying Lancaster Bombers goes over my house every weekend all summer long.  Its the Canadian Warplane Hermitage Lanc, from Hamilton.  And she's got 4 of those beautiful v-12 Merlins....its a sight and sound to hear!

Wow!  I bet the sound is fantastic. I have never heard the engines or seen them on a plane. 

I have seen a Super Unlimited Sand dragster with two of these engines on it during a Monster Truck Rally in like 1999 or so. It was called The Randy Canadian Its builder had used two Merlin V-12's in the design. The beast was so loud when the engines were revved up and roaring, my friends and I could not talk over it outside the Astrodome while it was running its qualifying rounds.

Edited by Skylar Husky

Wow!  I bet the sound is fantastic. I have never heard the engines or seen them on a plane. 

The bomber was over the house about a half dozen times to-day.  Not sure what they were doing, either practicing for Remembrance day or running a volunteer appreciation day.  The B-26 was up and about too (that kite gives me wood!) , but I didn't see the squadron of Harvards (T-6 Texans for you Yanks) about. 

I was out in the back yard putting the last of the pool stuff away and ripping out the gardens.  I tried 4 time to get video (they go over at the minimum 500 AGL) but by the time I got my gloves off, phone unlocked and focused, they were over the trees and gone.  I'll get a video clip of the Lanc for you before the snow flies.  Four Merlin's with props in course pitch and props in sync has to be heard to be believed.

Here's a teaser: http://www.warplane.com/ 

about 20 min from my house, 10 min by air.

Edited by Irreverent

@Skylar Husky  Love your list, though I am disappointed you didn't mention the late great Ford 300 I-6. My 85 F-250 and 92 F-150 both had that engine and it just never, ever stopped.

"The modern engines have gotten much too sophisticated for shade-tree mechanics to repair in their garages." Yup, and this is by design. Before it was all about planned obsolescence, but that's old hat. In today's computer-driven world every manufacturer, all the way out to heavy equipment manufacturers like CAT and John Deere, have embraced the message of DRM all the things. They've come to realize that there's huge money to be made through their shops (which were always lucrative) if they can just keep people from doing their own repairs.

@Skylar Husky  Love your list, though I am disappointed you didn't mention the late great Ford 300 I-6. My 85 F-250 and 92 F-150 both had that engine and it just never, ever stopped.

"The modern engines have gotten much too sophisticated for shade-tree mechanics to repair in their garages." Yup, and this is by design. Before it was all about planned obsolescence, but that's old hat. In today's computer-driven world every manufacturer, all the way out to heavy equipment manufacturers like CAT and John Deere, have embraced the message of DRM all the things. They've come to realize that there's huge money to be made through their shops (which were always lucrative) if they can just keep people from doing their own repairs.

To be honest, I have only ever worked on one of those. The Ford Pickup belongs to the mother of one of my furry friends. I have not done a whole lot with it but it does look like it could be an easier time to work on than most. This furry friend and his mother do not really know a whole bunch about engines, but her truck is tough as nails. It is a 1991 or 1992 and still runs so that is saying something. I like working on her mechanical stuff. She pays me with beer! LOL

Edited by Skylar Husky

My favorite engine has to be the FE series 427 Ford Side Oiler. Tough as nails, will make tons of power and it will do that all day long at WFO. My father ran these in a K Boat in the early 70's, needing very minimal wrenching requirements. yeah, they were big and a stock cast iron intake manifold needed a cherry picker to take it off the mill. You still can't dismiss its ability to make power. Holman and Moody made some big winning horsepower numbers for NASCAR with these mills.

I still have two of them that I hung onto for years; one for a street rod project of some sort and one for a v-drive lake boat. They are on run stands and I run them once a month. I'm still looking for the right car & boat to put them in.

As an aside, the Caddy 500 cid mill was a rip in a ski boat. I had a '71 Stevens Family Skier that was powered by a 500 Cadillac. It pulled harder out of the hole than my Sanger Family Ski ( a similar boat, owned both at the same time) with a 454 LS7 (supposedly 600 hp). The 500 cid Cadillac is lighter than a 350 Chevy and makes a great replacement for one in a 60's or early 70's Chev or GMC pickup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pratt & Whitney R-2800. Hands down the best sounding engine around (with the 1340 and 985 in close trail). The first time I woke up one of these engines was awesome, then I got to do it three more times in succession ;) (DC-6)

Edited by Nordo

• 3 months later...

The Ford Modulars for me, IF i ever manage to wear out of blow the 4.6L V8 in my 2007 mustang gt, i will swap it out with the identical 5.4L version since all the wiring harnesses and parts line up exactly the same, no changes needed, except a retune.  And the fact ill have close to 340HP, and 400ft lbs in the car in Ported 3V configuration.

6 hours ago, Xander Venterus said:

The Ford Modulars for me, IF i ever manage to wear out of blow the 4.6L V8 in my 2007 mustang gt, i will swap it out with the identical 5.4L version since all the wiring harnesses and parts line up exactly the same, no changes needed, except a retune.  And the fact ill have close to 340HP, and 400ft lbs in the car in Ported 3V configuration.

Enjoy changing the spark plugs.

On 3/30/2016 at 8:53 PM, DevilBear said:

Enjoy changing the spark plugs.

Just did them today actually because one of them was causing a intermittent miss, they were still originals, if you follow the ford TSB ammended guide, its easy, if you dont, you may end up buying a new engine.  Following the directions makes the difference, most shops try to do it fast, and that ends with either a stripped port, a broken plug half down in the cylinder, or a cracked port.

Doing it by the book in this instance makes all the difference.

Edited by Xander Venterus
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If we are talking stock from the factory...the original Buick 455 derived from the popular 430 of its era...and I'm talking the ones they put in the GSXs, not the down-graded emission ones. I also absolutely love the 445 Buick Nailhead setup...god I love them so much.

I'm also a big fan of the Ford 429/460, and of course...any Chevy small block...

If I had to choose though...the Buick Nailhead all day....