Rant: People who want to leave the EU

Kinharia

Alright so for those who live in and around the UK might be aware, there is now a campaign to pull the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, the North of Ireland) out of the European Union. What gets to me is that most of the people who claim we should leave the EU are either in the political elite who are having wet dreams over the draconian measures they could impliment without the European Court of Justice harking at them, or the undereducated mind who is told the EU is making them poor when in fact it is the only thing investing in its city. We're all told "The EU is costing us such and such every day" but not once has any of them said what they'd exactly spend this money they'll save on.

I'll use the North of Ireland as an example. As it stands the only thing that is keeping our 'economy' in any shape or form is the EU, it has invested in our people and in building projects more times in the past 10 years than the UK has in 100. If the UK was to leave then we would lose so many grants that many people depend on that we'd go on to not only being the poorest region of the UK and Ireland but possibly the poorest in Europe, many of our small farms and businesses would collapse without the added support we recieve. When the United Kingdom Independance Party (anti-eu) was out campaigning where I live I asked them if they had any interest on safe guarding the investments we get with the saved money and not one was able to give me the answer (in fact they all ignored the question and ranted on about how much it cost us but not once said "Yea we'd keep the money coming!")

Onto another matter. When Scotland was holding its Independance vote they were all told by the Pro-UK parties that "We are a -family- of nations, we are stronger together!". Now it seems only reasonable as the First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon said "If there is a vote to leave the EU then it should be based on a unanimous decision by the nations within the UK". This of course angered the Anti-EU crowd who claim "No! It should be down to the majority of voters to decide! Even if that means that Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland vote to remain if the majority comes from England then we all leave!" That doesn't sound very much like a Family now does it? Why should we all suffer for the decisions the English make. There is only 2 regions that would benefit from leaving and that is London and the South-East of England... Funny enough that happens to be the Richest areas... The Scottish Nationalist Party (which controls Scotland with a super majority) has claimed that if England pulls the rest of the UK out of the EU then they will hold a second Independance referendum so as to remain within the EU.

There is a chance that England will pull everyone out of the UK and in the process destroy the UK. Which is something I want but at the same time I don't want to be forced out of the EU by ultra-nationalists who can't see beyond "We had an Empire once!"

In my humble oppinion, right now, the entier EU is against itself. Some more than others.

Our country is dependant on the EU. Like, litteray over 90% of the improvements in this country are funded by EU money. Yet, our goverment always opposes anything the EU asks from us (not always a bad thing, but mostly it is) and also goes on and on about how the EU is bad or is against us when ever they have a problem with something our goverment does. The difference oppose to you guys is, we don't want to leave the EU, we're just... badmouthing them for any reason what so ever while happily accepting their money!

Living in the north of England I don't have much love for the rest of England because well...the whole North versus South Divide, I really wanted that proposal that was "theorised" of the North etc all seceding from England and becoming part of Scotland, oh well one can dream.

It probably sounds strange but when I was visiting my BF in N. Ireland, I felt so much more at home, I mean the obvious reason is kind of there but you know...

Leaving the EU would be a big mistake, only the rich and political elite stand anything to gain, the rest of the country would suffer like you have said.

You are right though for it to be a majority and fair vote there needs to be a majority from the populations of all UK countries, England does have too much sway but thats the overall inherent problem with the status quo as well.

If I had the choice I would happily move elsewhere in a heartbeat, this whole political shitstorm I'm just tired of it now.

Edited by Naesaki
forgot stuff

I suppose there are legitimate concerns like letting an individual country have it's own laws rather than abide by EU law. It's kinda like state laws versus federal laws in the US.

Sadly, a lot of anti-EU people just strike me as, well, xenophobes.

Yeah. There's a lot of "we'll leave the EU because it would stop all of those filthy immigrants coming and taking out jerrrrbbbs" talk going on, especially from my dad and grandparents.

There's a massive sense of entitlement with a lot of UKIP type voters. I've heard some of them say that they won't take the min wage jobs that are available because they say it isn't worth their time and should pay more. Also the "British jobs for British workers" thing.... which isn't how it works in today's multicultural Britain (and it has been that way for a while. Even going back to the empire). Very few other countries hold that view. 

That isn't to say that there aren't job availability issues in places, there are definitely issues (especially in my area). This is just some of the behaviour I have observed.

• Like 1

I'd like to hear why we should stay in the EU. Personally I'm not a fan of a large part of Britain being governed and represented by the vote of MEPs we didn't even elect.

"B-but we're safer and stronger together!" - It's called NATO, we've been in it since 1949. We and France are the only nuclear weapon ratifiers in Europe.

"B-but muh trade with the European continent!" - It's called EFTA, which we've been invited to many times. Yes, it does involve access to EU markets. Even better, it enables the UK to persue its own trade agreements with the rest of the world.

But I think we'd best stay in because I don't want to be racist or anything.

Even if there is a Leave vote when the majority of Scottish votes are to stay in the EU, I think Scottish independence is very unlikely for the next 5-10 years or so. David Cameron took a big risk in allowing the last independence referendum, in that in future he could have been remembered as "the Prime Minister that lost Scotland" - which looked like it could have very nearly happened, hence him, Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg collectively shitting themselves and making "The Vow" at the literal last minute when a poll put "Yes" ahead for the first time, as well as the Better Together campaign getting Gordon Brown to make an emergency speech the day before the vote to promise a huge devolution settlement in the event of a No result (thinking people in Scotland would probably be more willing to listen to a respected former Labour Prime Minister, who is also Scottish himself, rather than the current Conservative one when most people in Scotland don't like/support the Tories - which turned out to be true when you look at the result of the referendum) - along with all the other risky consequences he and the other major parties foresaw happening such as on the economy. I would imagine he wouldn't take that risk again by allowing a second legally-binding referendum in a million years. He probably only allowed it in the first place to avoid agitating Scottish voters by being stubborn on the issue, which could have led to a big Yes vote in a future referendum a few years down the line because of people going "let's get back Cameron for denying our democratic right" (or something like that, just generally people being angry at him and then being influenced by the positivity a Yes campaign would carry).

Only now he's gone and inadvertently taken that risk again with the EU referendum, now that the SNP are saying they could possibly use the result as the main reason for another independence referendum. Sure, a legally binding one won't happen under the current government or any Conservative governments in the recent future, but if the SNP held their own one (which would basically be a very large opinion poll) that then ended up being a Yes result (especially a strong one, say 60% or more, with a large turnout) then that would have a huge impact. It would be a huge piece of ammunition to be used against a UK government barring Scotland from being indepent.

Then again, that scenario rests largely on whether or not leaving the EU is a big enough issue to motivate Scottish voters to support independence. That's still up for debate. I think that if the SNP manage to create a convincing enough argument and a big media buzz about it - like they did with all the anti-austerity stuff during the general election - then it could be one of the deciding factors. Whether or not the Leave campaign is successful enough during the EU referendum to achieve a vote to leave the EU is also hugely important, as without that the SNP have one less reason to hold another referendum.

Personally, I'll probably vote to stay in the EU for the same sort of reasons other people have said in this thread, although right now that's just a general feeling/prediction rather than an actual decision I've come to by reading all the different arguments from both sides. If somebody was to start arguing with me about it I probably won't be able to debate very well because I haven't convinced myself on either of the two options. However I'm not sure about what I'd vote for in another independence referendum, as the main reason I voted Yes the last time was basically because I still hadn't made up my mind on the day so I had to pick something quickly, and I also liked how the Yes campaign was more positive than the Better Together campaign.

• Like 1

It always struck me as odd that the rest of the UK didn't despise Britain more, considering history I know of.

A joke going around is that "The United Kingdom is united because the Scottish hate the English, the Welsh hate the English, the Irish hate the English and the English hate everyone else... including the English"

• Like 1

UK didn't despise Britain

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you typed that in a hurry or something, but I have to ask, where do burgers everywhere keep getting this idea that Scotland and Wales are separate entities from Britain? Even when I went to the USA myself, americans who asked where I was from didn't seem to realise that England was and is a real place, and had to ask me where it was.

England, Scotland, and Wales are located on the island Great Britain, the largest part of the British Isles. The United Kingdom is the name of the political union between the countries of Great Britain, the surrounding British islands.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you typed that in a hurry or something, but I have to ask, where do burgers everywhere keep getting this idea that Scotland and Wales are separate entities from Britain? Even when I went to the USA myself, americans who asked where I was from didn't seem to realise that England was and is a real place, and had to ask me where it was.

England, Scotland, and Wales are located on the island Great Britain, the largest part of the British Isles. The United Kingdom is the name of the political union between the countries of Great Britain, the surrounding British islands.

America don't need no geography lesson, you queen serving sissy!!!

England is now Britain! I have freed you! 

Who cares? Nothing good comes out of the UK.

HOW DARE YOU INDIRECTLY DISS THE GREAT AND POWERFUL GORDON RAMSAY :U

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, where in the US did you go that they didn't know that?!

A joke going around is that "The United Kingdom is united because the Scottish hate the English, the Welsh hate the English, the Irish hate the English and the English hate everyone else... including the English"

lel

• Like 1

Uk needs to take invaders because the EU helps them and now EU needs help

fix'd

also fuck the EU, it brought it upon itself.

the UK is a sovereign state that joined voluntarily and can leave whenever it wants, they don't NEED to do anything.

England* (No hurry, just drunk)

You can keep the insulting slang thanks.