Fucking Adam Sandler

Sidewalk Surfboard

I think it's a well known fact that Adam Sandler is pretty terrible at this point. After the Happy Gilmore years, his movies just became total garbage and at this point he's trying so hard to stay relevant, but he's just not.

• Like 2

I think Troj has summed the issue up in a nutshell but I'll go ahead and add my analysis.

The truth of the matter is that Adam Sandler's schtick hasn't really evolved, his stuff was kinda funny in the 90's because the 90's was a better time for slapsticky, middle of the road, low-brow comedies. Audiences were a little less PC and found stereotypes funnier and Sandler was young enough for his jerkass protagonist formula to work. Now that he and his audience are older and social norms have changed to reflect a different mindset his humor doesn't resonate with audiences anymore.

There's a new level of dissonance to some of his recent films too. You see him in Grown Ups and Click, in these movies he has a family, he has children and a high paying job. Yet he's still acting irresponsible and immature, he's a dick to his friends, he's still trying to sell everyone that he's cool, he lies to his family and acts like he's still Billy Madison. He's almost 50, we don't want to see him pissing in a pool, making fat jokes and using fart humor. It just doesn't work, his characters are trying to evolve from the idiot bachelors he used to play but his humor hasn't changed. He hasn't grown as a comedian.

There are a few of his movies I don't think are that bad, Hotel Transylvania, Anger Management (mostly for Jack Nicholson) and The Wedding Singer were passable enough. Hotel Transylvania is probably my favorite thing he's done though I can't deny it has it's obvious Adam Sandler movie moments. But on the whole he's gotten old, stale and he's just not funny anymore.

• Like 2

Adam Sandler is more sad than anything else. Just a guy that at one point made decent movies who effectively gave up in virtually every way until he's effectively only making movies so he can inflate the budget, fill it with shameless ads and pocket all the money.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

1 hour ago, Troj said:

Actually, I think Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, and Jim Carrey have all been better in their few dramatic roles than most of their comedic ones, at least for me.

I did like both Hotel Transylvania movies, though.

I think the difference is that Sandler's one good dramatic role is basically just a giant deconstruction of every character hes ever played, and that he simply doesn't care about acting. I've never seen Hotel Transylvania but chances are he didn't write it and he just got paid to do a goofy voice.

Will Ferrell and Jim Carrey actually have like, artistic integrity and shit.

• Like 1

Its not his fault that he plays in a lot of mediocre to bad movies, is it?

I think the difference is that Sandler's one good dramatic role is basically just a giant deconstruction of every character hes ever played, and that he simply doesn't care about acting. I've never seen Hotel Transylvania but chances are he didn't write it and he just got paid to do a goofy voice.

Will Ferrell and Jim Carrey actually have like, artistic integrity and shit.

He plays the main character and actually gets really serious at times. His acting is believable in it, and it isn't all silly.

And you should really watch Hotel Translyvania. Genndy Tartakovsky made it. In other words, the guy who made Dexter's Laboratory, the original 2D Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon, Samurai Jack, and Sym-Bionic Titan.

Edited by Battlechili

We all know that Adam Sandler isn't human, but instead a hologram that comes from an inter-dimension of space ruled by parasitic higher beings that leech off lifeforms of lower intelligence, an act known as "Opening Weekend". We should be worried about the quality of his movies - that's a sign that he is becoming closer to his final form.

Edited by Sar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sar said:

We all know that Adam Sandler isn't human, but instead a hologram that comes from an inter-dimension of space ruled by paradisaic higher beings that leech off lifeforms of lower intelligence, an act known as "Opening Weekend". We should be worried about the quality of his movies - that's a sign that he is becoming closer to his final form.

In other words:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Its not his fault that he plays in a lot of mediocre to bad movies, is it?

He plays the main character and actually gets really serious at times. His acting is believable in it, and it isn't all silly.

And you should really watch Hotel Translyvania. Genndy Tartakovsky made it. In other words, the guy who made Dexter's Laboratory, the original 2D Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon, Samurai Jack, and Sym-Bionic Titan.

Maybe someday if it's on cable...and I actually get cable again.

11 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Is it bad that I enjoyed Pixels?

It depends on the reason you enjoyed it.

3 minutes ago, Ginpanther said:

I'm told they have support programs for that, now. Have you considered an intervention?

I've already had mine.  It's called "growing up and discovering better sources for humor".

It's probably the simplicity of the humor that made me like it as a kid.  A lot of kids laugh at silly faces and noises, right?

Edited by Gumshoe
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2015 at 3:12 AM, Lisek said:

I just looked it up, why did Pixels make back its budget and then some? Who is seeing these movies?! Why a Netflix? He doesn't need a Netflix! Shame on you, the Netflix!

Washed up mid lifers remembering the arcades of the 80s and pissing themselves because they'll never be young again, so they vicariously live thru Sandler's bargain bin flick in hopes they'll have the same level of youth and libido they had once upon a nutsack.

3 minutes ago, Ratmomma said:

Washed up mid lifers remembering the arcades of the 80s and pissing themselves because they'll never be young again, so they vicariously live thru Sandler's bargain bin flick in hopes they'll have the same level of youth and libido they had once upon a nutsack.

As someone who is a big part of the arcade/fighting game community I can tell you for sure than no arcade lovers went to see that movie. :B

On 09/12/2015 at 8:12 AM, Lisek said:

I just looked it up, why did Pixels make back its budget and then some? Who is seeing these movies?! Why a Netflix? He doesn't need a Netflix! Shame on you, the Netflix!

You know what that means.. Prepare your asses for Pixels 2!

Pass me the vodka

On 9/12/2015 at 9:12 AM, Lisek said:

I just looked it up, why did Pixels make back its budget and then some?

He tricked us, he tricked all of us with the premise of videogames! D: And he didn't even do some research: Duck Hunt coming from a 1982 capsule? The fuck?

Writing and acting left aside, though, I actually thought the visual effects for the videogames were pretty nice: the concept for some (especially the first person view Centipede) could be re-elaborated for one of those immersive laster-tag games. Now how cool would that be?

1 hour ago, DrDingo said:

You know what that means.. Prepare your asses for Pixels 2!

Pass me the vodka

Oh, hell no. Tell me you're joking.

Edited by Valery91Thunder

11 hours ago, Valery91Thunder said:

Writing and acting left aside, though, I actually thought the visual effects for the videogames were pretty nice: the concept for some (especially the first person view Centipede) could be re-elaborated for one of those immersive laster-tag games. Now how cool would that be?

Well he did basically steal those concepts from the short film the move's technically based on.