So! What does everyone think of the new forums?

Sar

Hey there, Kal! Nice to see you again.

Heyo! 

Hey look at that! Square icons! You're the best Care <3

Great. I was worried when I saw the site this forum software is sold and advertised on. xD

HOW DO WE KNOW YOU'RE EVEN THE REAL KALMOR?  O_O

I linked my profile in the mod Skype chat we have. All's good. :P

I like it a lot so far. The UI is fine as it is, maybe a little bit plain, but if there was a Dark/Night Mode option then I'd probably use that instead. Avatars are a good size, profile pages look fine. Overall pretty great for something which was set up so quickly and has only been running for about a day.

EDIT: Oooh, I just found out you can get a little preview window of a thread of you hover the mouse over it for a few seconds. That's neat I guess.

Edited by Sutekh_the_Steak

I'm surprised how well we're doing already. We just started less than a day ago and we already seem to be settled.

Indeed. The forums were created 14~ hours ago. When I joined 11~ hours ago, there were almost no posts over an hour old (or even none at all over an hour old), so I joined very close to when it went public... and we already have 158 members, 149 separate topics, and 1408 individual posts as of this message.

That's mind blowing progress, even given the popularity of the forums.

Edited by ChaosCalix

The 'follow' feature's name makes it seem different from the friend feature, and I like it.

I think it would make the more timid users less afraid to start following people they like.

It's as if you're saying "I like you". As opposed to an option which forcefully implies "We're friends now because I said so! Accept!".

• Like 1

I thought you guys said the forums would be different.

They are still infested with furries. I am out of ideas for how to get rid of them I feel like I tried everything. Even though I have tried nothing.

Cut them some slack, do you know how hard it is to get rid of us? We're like a plague.

Wait, people can do that? O.o

I would have assumed that FA's new forums would be entirely built from the ground up and filled with loyal hugbox supporters.

If the old forums were reintroduced on FA, I still wouldn't go back. But I wouldn't mind, for the reason that I could see everyone's old posts if I wanted to.

I suppose that if FA builds a new forum, it will exclusively be for offline status announcements and, most probably, for the black market section as it was widely frequented by mainsite members who were looking for art; I don't see how the rest of the sections would interest them. Maybe now that there's IMVU in all this, they'd add an advertising/support section for that?

I suppose that if FA builds a new forum, it will exclusively be for offline status announcements and, most probably, for the black market section as it was widely frequented by mainsite members who were looking for art; I don't see how the rest of the sections would interest them. Maybe now that there's IMVU in all this, they'd add an advertising/support section for that?

Unfortunately not, according to what is implied here:

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/7062788

I gotta say that I'm impressed with how much activity the forums have gotten in the past day. The forum already has over 200 members! I didn't realize the FurAffinity Forums even had that many regulars, and I'm very surprised that so many people have heard the news and were open to join a brand new community. Bravo to everyone for making this work.

The 'follow' feature's name makes it seem different from the friend feature, and I like it.

I think it would make the more timid users less afraid to start following people they like.

It's as if you're saying "I like you". As opposed to an option which forcefully implies "We're friends now because I said so! Accept!".

Well, that's because they ARE different x3

Follow is a one way action, Friends is two ways.
Personally I'd like to see BOTH as features, but anyway.

I gotta say that I'm impressed with how much activity the forums have gotten in the past day. The forum already has over 200 members! I didn't realize the FurAffinity Forums even had that many regulars, and I'm very surprised that so many people have heard the news and were open to join a brand new community. Bravo to everyone for making this work.

About that: Some of us aren't FAF regulars. I never bothered with the FAF forums, for example.

About that: Some of us aren't FAF regulars. I never bothered with the FAF forums, for example.

Well, you've got me curious then. What is the appeal of this forum to someone who hasn't used the FurAffinity forums? No offense intended, I'm happy you're here!

Well, you've got me curious then. What is the appeal of this forum to someone who hasn't used the FurAffinity forums? No offense intended, I'm happy you're here!

I grew up with forums. They're basically where all of my internet socializing began. So it's nice to be on a furry one that ISN'T a cesspit (yet)

I mean, there's always the Weasyl ones, but I'm not fond of how it looks and functions.
Plus I've been keeping a close eye on events recently, so I kinda had to join this out of curiosity alone, to see how this venture plays out.

I've never used FAF, or really any forums in the past. For me the appeal was the clean slate, fresh start and equal footing for all users. If ever there was a time to attempt to become an active part of a forum, it's when that forum is fresh, but with some promise of becoming incredibly active in the future, based on the history behind it.

I'd never, for example, have bothered with some fresh new Furry forum someone posted on Reddit or Tumblr with a story about how they've recently learned how to code websites and wanted to try and make something better than the FAF!

The new forums just passed the one-day-old mark, just a few minutes before 0200 UTC.  In that time, we had 210 user registrations, 241 threads made, and more than 2,000 posts.  Also, the most online jumped from 79 yesterday to 84 just a few minutes ago.

That's not a bad start at all.

Edited by ArielMT
  • Like 2

I grew up with forums. They're basically where all of my internet socializing began. So it's nice to be on a furry one that ISN'T a cesspit (yet)

I mean, there's always the Weasyl ones, but I'm not fond of how it looks and functions.
Plus I've been keeping a close eye on events recently, so I kinda had to join this out of curiosity alone, to see how this venture plays out.

I've spent, well, about half of my life now using forums, so I definitely understand that. And recent events have been pretty interesting, so that makes complete sense, too. : ) What exactly made FAF a cesspit though? I always felt like it always had a bit too much quality control, so it surprises me when people say how bad it was (aside from staff issues).

The new forums just passed the one-day-old mark, just a few minutes before 0200 UTC.  In that time, we had 210 user registrations, 241 threads made, and more than 2,000 posts.  Also, the most online jumped from 79 yesterday to 84 just a few minutes ago.

That's not a bad start at all.

Not a bad start, indeed.

I've spent, well, about half of my life now using forums, so I definitely understand that. And recent events have been pretty interesting, so that makes complete sense, too. : ) What exactly made FAF a cesspit though? I always felt like it always had a bit too much quality control, so it surprises me when people say how bad it was (aside from staff issues).

I admit, I rarely looked there. But when I did, the ratio of shitposting and assholery compared to reasonable content was far too high for my tastes. I mean, yeah, there was quality content there too, but I don't consider having to wade through a river of crap to reach it as being a very appealing quality. (and of course, there was the admins, but that's another story)

Admittedly, this opinion might not be an accurate portrayal of FAF, but every time I looked, that's what was reinforced.

Edited by ChaosCalix

I've never used FAF, or really any forums in the past. For me the appeal was the clean slate, fresh start and equal footing for all users. If ever there was a time to attempt to become an active part of a forum, it's when that forum is fresh, but with some promise of becoming incredibly active in the future, based on the history behind it.
I'd never, for example, have bothered with some fresh new Furry forum someone posted on Reddit or Tumblr with a story about how they've recently learned how to code websites and wanted to try and make something better than the FAF!

Ah, yeah. I guess this is a pretty rare, special time, huh? I mean, relative to being a furry on the internet.

I'm not a fan of the circle-avatars either but I believe that's done with CSS so it should be easy enough to change.

"border-radius: 3px" (or whatever number)

I kinda like it. Simply because it makes things look a little more sleeker and less like Windows 10. Windows 10 looks gay. 

I have the "Stylish" plugin, might write a script if I can be bothered.