9 hours ago, Half-Note said:

HAN SOLO DIES! :D

carrie-fisher-as-princess-leia.jpg?w=600

(Really new Star Wars fans, if you knew anything about old man Ford, you'd know he's been wanting Han dead for decades. It was kinda a hilarious scene anyway with that emo fuck being the one to finally off him. Lol)

• Like 1

The movie definitely had some cliches I didn't like. And it's really nothing new or significant plotwise, more family betrayal again? Yeah...

overall not the greatest movie ever, I wasn't expecting it to be, but I can't deny it was a fun blast from the past. And heck I really like the new protagonists Finn and Rae(sp.?), even if the whole romance between them is also cliche but I'm a sucker for that, too.

Also the whole beginning of the movie was them looking for a droid it could have ended earlier with one jedi mind trick :v

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

The plot is basically desert youth requires the help of an old veteran to find a droid with information so they can defeat a masked villian and his military allies by blowing up a giant laser/planet of evil. And the masked guy kills the old veteran near e end. 

Its the most original Star Wars yet. 

• Like 5

I feel like its going to be a bit disappointing if people focused too much on thinking the negative aspect of the movie was being politically correct by having an African American protagonist, a female Jedi protagonist, and an interracial relationship. These people likely probably forgot Mace Windou, Lando, that blue alien Jedi woman among others featured.

Like chill, its not like the attention of the movie focused on them being black or being a woman, and its not the first time a strong female character was shown. Leia never really was a damsel-in-distress exactly

If you're going to criticize there are better things besides accusing movie writers of shoving equality into a movie oh noooo awful

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

3 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

Rey's name should have been Mary Sue

Hey Rey was cliche but don't kill my party she was stil a cool sue, man!

A sue with really good skills out of nowhere to fly a ship and fix things to impress solo sensei and yeah basically a sue

But star wars!

On 24 December 2015 at 4:59 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I feel like its going to be a bit disappointing if people focused too much on thinking the negative aspect of the movie was being politically correct by having an African American protagonist, a female Jedi protagonist, and an interracial relationship. These people likely probably forgot Mace Windou, Lando, that blue alien Jedi woman among others featured.

Like chill, its not like the attention of the movie focused on them being black or being a woman, and its not the first time a strong female character was shown. Leia never really was a damsel-in-distress exactly

If you're going to criticize there are better things besides accusing movie writers of shoving equality into a movie oh noooo awful

A New Hope tied with Empire. :3 Best storytelling and such. 

This was pretty much the only movie I cared about avoiding spoilers of and after weeks of painstaking avoidance of any public games or threads I was there. 1 night away. Then one of my irl friends spoil it over discord so I spite banned him for an hour or two ( being a dickish admin can be fun sometimes)

Overall I thought the movie was great mainly because I didn't mind the angsty/ragey antagonist because I'm an edgy teen :D (seriously just look at my avatar) .I think my favourite scene was the duel at the end, or the start of the film when the village is raided.

Also phantom menace was my favourite, I liked the prequels ok?

There were a lot of unneeded scenes and huge plotholes. Could've left so much shit out to make it much better. 

Fucking cringed at so many times. I think everybody knows already that Han is in the movie so it is no spoiler saying his introduction scenes were abysmal. Seriously, so terrible.

Just leaving this here....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/40-unforgivable-plot-holes-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens_b_8850324.html

Some of his complaints can be written off with explanations, but one of the ones that confused me was the question of the relationship between the First Order, the Resistance, and the Republic.

As far as I can tell the First Order was supposed to be a resurgence of the Empire, but not very big, with maybe a few planets under their control, some half million troops if that, like Nazi Germany but during their rise and before they started taking over Poland. The Republic was the new galactic government had a much larger amount of planets under their rule, perhaps half or more of the galaxy, maybe? These are all guesses, but the FO didn't seem that big.

So, exactly who are the resistance and how are they related to the Republic? And how exactly did the Republic allow the FO to form. Even more important, how did the Republic allow the FO to build a death star out of an entire planet? What, no one noticed? And where exactly was the Republic military to blow up Starkiller? Where's their fleet of ships? Are you telling me the Republic was on that handful of planets that blew up and no other planets? They couldn't regroup somewhere else? Where's Coursant? If Abrams is such a Star Wars fan he should know about all of that.

Yea yea I get it, it's supposed to be like Episode 4 so they had to make it all "tiny rebel force destroys massive facist army" but it doesn't quite work out this time around.

Jar Jar Abrams isn't a terrible moviemaker, but he's not great either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/40-unforgivable-plot-holes-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens_b_8850324.html

Some of his complaints can be written off with explanations, but one of the ones that confused me was the question of the relationship between the First Order, the Resistance, and the Republic.

As far as I can tell the First Order was supposed to be a resurgence of the Empire, but not very big, with maybe a few planets under their control, some half million troops if that, like Nazi Germany but during their rise and before they started taking over Poland. The Republic was the new galactic government had a much larger amount of planets under their rule, perhaps half or more of the galaxy, maybe? These are all guesses, but the FO didn't seem that big.

So, exactly who are the resistance and how are they related to the Republic? And how exactly did the Republic allow the FO to form. Even more important, how did the Republic allow the FO to build a death star out of an entire planet? What, no one noticed? And where exactly was the Republic military to blow up Starkiller? Where's their fleet of ships? Are you telling me the Republic was on that handful of planets that blew up and no other planets? They couldn't regroup somewhere else? Where's Coursant? If Abrams is such a Star Wars fan he should know about all of that.

Yea yea I get it, it's supposed to be like Episode 4 so they had to make it all "tiny rebel force destroys massive facist army" but it doesn't quite work out this time around.

I'll agree with your assessment of Abrams with the following analogy: I wouldn't blame Abrams for the mediocre quality of the latest Star Wars/Trek films any more than I would blame a conveyor belt for producing mediocre goods.

Edited by WileyWarWeasel
Mispelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

From what I gathered from watching the films, the galaxy fragmented after the fall of the Empire. In the first film, Tarkin mentions that the regional governors had direct control of there systems. that wouldn't disappear just because the Emperor died with a huge chunk of the fleet. The Republic probably only managed to hold a handful of planets that nould have been under direct control of the top of the Empire. They were funding resistance forces in regions they didn't control because they weren't much more than an even match for the bad guys. Then their planets and fleet done got blowed up, leaving just the resistance.

it was such a great movie and I'm really looking forward to the next ones. here's hoping they don't screw it up though.

and it's now the top grossing film of all time. it even beat out Frozen which I'm most grateful for.

4 hours ago, Rassah said:

Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter

I've heard that she's actually Obi Wan's

12 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I have doubts the Republic would be in just ONE star system. The planets blowing up may have set them back some but I'm sure who is left would probably be able to regroup and continue on.

I don't really know how big they actually would be. But, the First Order guys specifically stated they targeted the Republic's fleet and it seemed to target their at least their capitol star system. Regardless, it would be a fairly devastating blow and I certainly don't expect them to be ruling "perhaps half or more of the galaxy". There simply isn't any indication of it;

I think it's much more plausible to assume the Republic was only one sector (but more than just one star system) out of many fragmented remains of the Empire and probably numerous uncontrolled or independent planets and systems that nobody has the resources to hold. I mean, after all, the loss of two Death Stars, a super star destroyer, an entire senatorial-represented planet, Galacticization of another planet's chief mining/refining settlement, and the loss of numerous titanic Star Destroyers and other capitol-ships certainly must have strained or collapsed the galactic economy :D

Since J. J. Abrams is now doing both, I'd love to see a Star Wars x Star Trek crossover. Maybe Star Trek guys could be on the side of the Empire to start, since they're all about order and structure. Hell, get Firefly in there too, to fight alongside the rebels.

Use a nearby star to create a planetary deathstar? OK. But destroy a few minuscule oscillators and the whole planet collapses? There has to be more than that to keep the weapon not going on a full meltdown

Of course the movie had it's own highlight moments but some were so cliche it made you cringe a little bit inside

• Like 1

Still shipping Reyfinn. Or Finnrey. 

I'm also digging Poe's swagger. Gets captured by the enemy and he's all like "try your worst bitches." Maybe a little too cocky but I like.

Thing that caught my attention at the beginning was when they blew up Poe's X-wing. What if the map was on the X-wing?
Kylo: "You have news captain...."
Stormtrooper captain: "Sir... the map was located on Poe's x-wing."
Kylo: "....and where's that x-wing now?"
captain: "Sir we destroyed i..." *gets force choked*

And, as angsty as Ben Solo was, he's not even remotely as bad as Anakin. He just needed to keep the damn helmet on.

3 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

Use a nearby star to create a planetary deathstar? OK. But destroy a few minuscule oscillators and the whole planet collapses? There has to be more than that to keep the weapon not going on a full meltdown

Of course the movie had it's own highlight moments but some were so cliche it made you cringe a little bit inside

There may be a reason for this.

On the scale of things Starkiller is way bigger and more powerful than the Death Star. The Death Star was a tiny speck in comparison. Starkiller could shoot halfway across the galaxy.

There may have been a limit to how big they could build the death stars and have them be self-powered. Any bigger and they wouldn't have a reactor big enough to power it. There's no such problem with a base the size of a planet that absorbs an entire star to power its gun. But there may be a problem with containing that much power. Normally, if the rebels had blown up that shaft, nothing would have happened. The base would have been damaged but that's it. But because it was, at that moment, containing an entire star inside of it, enough of an energy fluctuation could cause the entire system to collapse. That tunnel could have been the control to keep the sun from expanding back to its normal size.

Still, I have no idea how they hyperspaced that planet from star to star.

Edited by Crazy Lee