Things that you hate! v2

Sar

lack of professionalism.  no matter how big or small the position is, if you're working or volunteering somewhere, you're held to a higher standard of behavior when dealing with customers/users/what-have-you.  how high that standard goes might vary depending on the position you're in and the environment of the workplace, but there's a limit.  rudeness should never be accepted in the name of "not being a robot".  you don't have to be an emotionless bot to be courteous and friendly with the people you're working for; you can be as obnoxious as you want on your own time.

Just spent a couple hours trying to figure out what was wrong with some code I was working on. Only after that did I read a couple paragraphs down in the documentation where it basically told me "Oh yeah, that thing you're trying to do actually isn't possible with what you've been provided so far. Here's a special function that handles that case."

How I am literally the only one in class who is competent at CAD work. 

I got my head round the interface for autocad and inventor by reading the tool tips for the commonly used buttons (almost all autodesk programs have the ribbon UI that office 2010 came up with I think) as well as the layers dialogue.

However the rest of the class are struggling and I think it is due to how they are being taught to use the command line on the bottom of autocad to enter coordinates for lines rather than press the button for that, 2 people are even offering me £15 to do work for them.

Older people complaining that us youngins use our phones too much and are zombies

I know I do and its awful >.> But I dont consider it mindless nothingness. I learn a lot, and I find a lot on the infinite abyss of the interwebs. Its pretty much an infinite book with any subject imaginable (granted its not always used to its advantage, as sometimes you always stick to the same subjects), whenever Im interested into delving into a new thought or interest to think about I can just search it up. Books are nice and never outdated (well, to an extent, assuming information has changed since its publishing.) But one of the disadvantages is I cant carry a library with me wherever I go.

...as for having too much technology and ignoring people? I did that just fine as a kid in elementary school without phones and electronics being barred in class anyways.

Guess how I got around that?

Yep, books.

The socially acceptable way to zone out of the world

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Older people complaining that us youngins use our phones too much and are zombies

I know I do and its awful >.> But I dont consider it mindless nothingness. I learn a lot, and I find a lot on the infinite abyss of the interwebs. Its pretty much an infinite book with any subject imaginable (granted its not always used to its advantage, as sometimes you always stick to the same subjects), whenever Im interested into delving into a new thought or interest to think about I can just search it up. Books are nice and never outdated (well, to an extent, assuming information has changed since its publishing.) But one of the disadvantages is I cant carry a library with me wherever I go.

...as for having too much technology and ignoring people? I did that just fine as a kid in elementary school without phones and electronics being barred in class anyways.

Yep, books.

Old people qre just jealous of our infinity phone knowledge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Yep, books.

I think it's more elegant if done with a book. :P

I can kind of see where they're coming from though. People are glued to their phones usually for social media rather than learning. All of this texting stuff has become ridiculous too. People actually text back and forth like they're on an instant messenger instead of just calling each other, which strikes me as a bit weird.

13 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

I think it's more elegant if done with a book. :P

I can kind of see where they're coming from though. People are glued to their phones usually for social media rather than learning. All of this texting stuff has become ridiculous too. People actually text back and forth like they're on an instant messenger instead of just calling each other, which strikes me as a bit weird.

You're not always in a situation where you can call in public, or there's too much noise. Or...you straight up just have anxiety and communicating with text is easier. There's a lot of practical reasons. It's not the best and a phone call might be more practical at times, but it has its pros.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

You're not always in a situation where you can call in public, or there's too much noise. Or...you straight up just have anxiety and communicating with text is easier. There's a lot of practical reasons. It's not the best and a phone call might be more practical at times, but it has its pros.

I agree. But, I've seen some people do it for the sake of doing it. I can't believe that some people are so reliant on it that they feel the need to do it while driving.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

I once saw somebody doing while Go-Karting

One time I saw somebody texting while riding their bike down the road. Maybe I was seeing things, but I swear both hands were off the handlebars.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pothocket said:

One time I saw somebody texting while riding their bike down the road. Maybe I was seeing things, but I swear both hands were off the handlebars.

I saw a guy at my uni riding his bike down the road whilst carrying a crate of Budweiser in both arms

What a dude

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

I saw a guy at my uni riding his bike down the road whilst carrying a crate of Budweiser in both arms

What a dude

Like one in each? I guess that precludes him from committing DUI!

Just found this video. I love this so, so much.

1 hour ago, DrDingo said:

What a dude

I once saw a guy with his really full bookbag on his side, coffee in one hand, something else in another.... on a unicycle at my old uni.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I once saw a guy with his really full bookbag on his side, coffee in one hand, something else in another.... on a unicycle at my old uni.

This guy knows what's up. Why even bother having handlebars if you're not going to use them?

• Like 2

well, so much for moving.  not only do i have to fork over 3k for another car, but the apartments i was looking at say they no longer have any available units.  ;v;  i'll be living with my grandma until i'm 30

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gator said:

well, so much for moving.  not only do i have to fork over 3k for another car, but the apartments i was looking at say they no longer have any available units.  ;v;  i'll be living with my grandma until i'm 30

Oh, I hope things work out sooner. How much longer will you have to wait? How about a tent, or maybe even a small camper? I always thought a modern version of one of those taer-drop ones would be cool, if I had to be on my own, fast. No car though, but well, they look fun!

175581.jpg

Huh. I don't see a toilet or shower. Do you live near an outhouse, or a stream?

Well, attempts at humor aside, I hope things get better. I do have a few friends who live on boats, because it's cheaper renting slip space, then rent...could you live on a swamp, on some kinda boat?

1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Oh, I hope things work out sooner. How much longer will you have to wait? How about a tent, or maybe even a small camper? I always thought a modern version of one of those taer-drop ones would be cool, if I had to be on my own, fast. No car though, but well, they look fun!

175581.jpg

Huh. I don't see a toilet or shower. Do you live near an outhouse, or a stream?

Well, attempts at humor aside, I hope things get better. I do have a few friends who live on boats, because it's cheaper renting slip space, then rent...could you live on a swamp, on some kinda boat?

i'd literally kill to live on a swamp.  but right now i'm in a disgusting city-type area about 20 minutes from downtown, so the best i can hope for is a shitty apartment that's next door the grocery store where i work.

i have thought a lot about living in a camper or something, tbh.  hell, i still think about it.  i just don't know how i'd go about that (or afford it), especially considering i'd have to rent a spot to park the damn thing and use public washrooms and shit anyway, depending on the type.  it's like at that point why not just get an apartment?

though with the apartment, no idea how long i'll have to wait.  there was a sign out front that said they were leasing, so i emailed them for info and the response i got was just "sorry, we're not leasing any more but we'll let you know when we are and answer your questions then."  wish they would have at least answered the questions anyway...

idk this whole moving thing is just a huge confusing mess to me and none of my plans ever go anywhere

When news sources use mean over median when median would be a considerably more reasonable and useful summary. It might be forgivable when local or small-scale news sources do it, but I can't forgive it otherwise. A comparison of both would be good, but of course they won't. It is especially frustrating when news sources insist on using mean income as average income rather than median income when a government they like is in place and then switching to using median income as average income when a government they like is in place. In the U.S. that can be a difference of somewhere from $20,000 to $50,000 depending on how you define income, which is a big deal.

A relative of mine discovered this today and described it as bullcrap, which I don't think is an inaccurate summary.

• Like 1

Here's a riddle for you, folks

I am restless with energy
But my eyes feel desperately tired

I'm trying my best to start the coursework I've been sitting on for so long
But I can't focus on anything for longer than 20 seconds

What the fuck is happening and am I okay

4 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Here's a riddle for you, folks

I am restless with energy
But my eyes feel desperately tired

I'm trying my best to start the coursework I've been sitting on for so long
But I can't focus on anything for longer than 20 seconds

What the fuck is happening and am I okay

thats university for ya

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 4:41 PM, DrGravitas said:

Getting through an interview with a fine candidate who would bring skillsets our team lacks and I could learn a thing or two from, only to find out afterwards that he has several other companies making offers and is going to leave The Company if HR doesn't manage to make a decent counter-offer. Oh, bye-bye dude. Wish we could have worked together ;_;

Why didn't you tell HR that he was a perfect fit for the company? They might have been willing to meet his offer if they knew he was valuable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Lee said:

Why didn't you tell HR that he was a perfect fit for the company? They might have been willing to meet his offer if they knew he was valuable.

0srFp.gif

We're a low-cost service provider ;)

(That said, they're made aware of our opinions though our interview feedback.)

when u have to eat stuff with soy in it because it's the only food in the house, knowing that this means inevitably spending way too long in the bathroom while on the clock at work yet again :D

edit: literally 5 trips.  new record.  sad, sad new record.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shiro said:

Humid and rainy weather. It feels so sticky and gross outside.

if it's also warm, then that's my favorite.  give it to me

OT: i'm still mad about soy.  it took me 2 hours to grocery shop today because i was reading labels.  soy is very sneaky; even stuff that doesn't have "CONTAINS: SOY" in the allergy warning section still sometimes has it in the ingredient list. 

but for all my suffering, at least i'm that much closer to finding brands i can trust in the future ;v;

If there is one thing I HATE about modern smart phones it is that they followed behind Apple in one specific thing. I don't care that they're touch screens now. I don't care that they're a bit more fragile. I don't care about not having a removable battery. I don't even care that some want to forego a headphone jack because Apple. 

What really pisses me the fuck off is that I cannot get into my phone and use it as a normal flash drive like I once could back in 2009. I remember when it was as easy as taking your USB, sticking it into the phone, and plugging it into the PC. You open the phone under your connected devices tab and you drag and drop files like any normal fucking human being wants to in the 21st century. Now, we have to have middle man apps that only make things slow, clunkier, and tedious for god knows why. Now I have to use worthless garbage like Samsung SideSync just to get stuff on and off my phone. I have to plug it in, let the app crash and not respond 3 and 4 times, force a worthless update even though it was working just fine 2 days ago when I last updated it and will not open because it just NEEEEEDS to update, and then I can tediously drag one file at a time on and off my phone's SD Card.

And before any tech snobs wanna flex their flabby muscles, telling me "this is why you root your phone"... 

1. I'm not voiding my warranty on something I paid over $400 for. I don't care if "I can just unroot it and no one will ever know".
  2. I shouldn't have to just to put music on my phone. I want you to think how ridiculous that sounds. Should I hack my 3DS just to put games on an SD card?
  3. I literally am unable to. I attempted it and when I got to the first crucial step, I came to find out that my carrier actually REMOVES the required option from the phone. 

I don't understand why file transferring is such a taboo thing to allow customers these days. It's not even just phones. It's everything. From Apple products to Sony to Samsung. My friend refunded 3 different MP3 players because none of them transferred music how they should and were constantly giving him errors and being picky and slow about it. Even the Vita did this stupid shit.
If we have to use these little apps, why can't they just emulate a simpler, faster, less complicated method of file transfer? Jesus Christ.

2 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

If we have to use these little apps, why can't they just emulate a simpler, faster, less complicated method of file transfer? Jesus Christ.

Even though I agree entirely that you shouldn't have to do this, is there any way to easily just yank the SD card out?

Because if you can, you could just get one of these:

sd-card-reader-windows-8.1.jpg

And then turn the phone off, yank card, drag and drop as normal, put the card back in.
If the errors and issues are frequent enough to make it actually worth it.

It's not a practice that's going to stop any time soon,
but anti-adblock measures.

Annoying the piss out of me because I don't want to see your ads isn't going to make me want to whitelist your ads.
It's just going to make me circumvent your wait times and blocks, or just stop using your site entirely.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Vae said:

It's not a practice that's going to stop any time soon,
but anti-adblock measures.

Annoying the piss out of me because I don't want to see your ads isn't going to make me want to whitelist your ads.
It's just going to make me circumvent your wait times and blocks, or just stop using your site entirely.

I use a greasemonkey script called anti-Adblock killer that deals with the few sites I find that stop you using them if their ads are blocked.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

I use a greasemonkey script called anti-Adblock killer that deals with the few sites I find that stop you using them if their ads are blocked.

The site that I'm using is Sims Resource, which I doubt is included in that.

I usually don't encounter this problem anyway because I usually don't enable javascript for anything unless it's absolutely necessary to function.
But I found a Chrome addon that bypasses the adblock wait screen entirely.

29 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

I hate having roommates.

After the bullshit mine has put me through today I am considering moving to a smaller, less nice place just to live alone again. : D

Garth, if you room with me, you'll have no problems as I am quiet c:

I do dishes and laundry and, if applicable, pay for my own food.

Plus you'd be infinitely better than my current hipster roommate :V

The fact I have mouth sores...On BOTH sides of my tongue. About the same spot too.

9 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

What really pisses me the fuck off is that I cannot get into my phone and use it as a normal flash drive like I once could back in 2009. I remember when it was as easy as taking your USB, sticking it into the phone, and plugging it into the PC.

Um, I can still do this. Although, none of my phones were brand new, SamsungApple GalaxyNoteEdgeiFone 34. My latest phone is a 2 year old model...

If they're moving to this, I'm never upgrading.

when popcorn is supposed to have butter flavor but is basically plain.  there is no less enjoyable fucking snack than plain microwave popcorn.  dry, bland, disappointing, and the only filling thing about it is how the stupid kernels fill the spaces between your goddamn teeth.

if i am going to eat popcorn, it better taste like something.  and if it says "butter" flavor, that shit better be swimming in butter.

gonna throw this garbage away in a FURIOUS RAGE.

13 hours ago, Gator said:

when popcorn is supposed to have butter flavor but is basically plain.  there is no less enjoyable fucking snack than plain microwave popcorn.  dry, bland, disappointing, and the only filling thing about it is how the stupid kernels fill the spaces between your goddamn teeth.

if i am going to eat popcorn, it better taste like something.  and if it says "butter" flavor, that shit better be swimming in butter.

gonna throw this garbage away in a FURIOUS RAGE.

Or you could melt some real butter and add it to the popcorn. Problem solved.

• Like 2