Things that you hate! v2

Sar

Since we're on the subject: I've personally told people to "Control [their] children", and had other people call ME the bad guy for it. It's amazing just how much some people just don't care. They'd rather just let their kids be little shits, making everyone around them uncomfortable, than be responsible parents and get on top of this crap.

I've also had movies ruined this way, public transport made extremely uncomfortable, and even dinner at restaurants ruined because of this. But nope. Telling people to be responsible parents makes you the bad guy~

• Like 1

On the other hand there's some schadenfreude to be derived from the fact that every annoying child will be out of my life in minutes to hours while they will be stuck with the product of their own lack of effort for years.

OT: I hate that my spellcheck doesn't accept 'schadenfreude' but instead will suggest 'Scheherazade'. When would I ever need to type that?!

Since we're on the subject: I've personally told people to "Control [their] children", and had other people call ME the bad guy for it. It's amazing just how much some people just don't care. They'd rather just let their kids be little shits, making everyone around them uncomfortable, than be responsible parents and get on top of this crap.

I've also had movies ruined this way, public transport made extremely uncomfortable, and even dinner at restaurants ruined because of this. But nope. Telling people to be responsible parents makes you the bad guy~

Y'know, cause people will ALWAYS acknowledge their faults and fix it.

People that enjoy being miserable. It's hard to be a friend when post after post, Skype status after Skype status, journal after journal is nothing but fuck my life just to bait for attention. How the fuck is anyone supposed to love you when you don't even love yourself?

I'm done with that type of person.

Edited by Mr. Fox

I detest when people say shit like "I'm not shallow, I'm just very picky". No, you're shallow. Your ideal doesn't have to meet society's standards, if you're picky about looks at all and can't settle for anything less than ideal despite how awesome someone may be inside, then you're shallow.

Rawr.

I hate that I commissioned three pieces of art around  6 months ago ( before I took a forced hiatus from the fandom)    and they have never once gotten back to me with the finished pieces or even some shitty update. If they were going through a tough time I could happily settle for my money back and wish them luck but, wtf! It's been forever,  I'll just never get some good work of Crunchy done it seems >:l

I hate that I commissioned three pieces of art around  6 months ago ( before I took a forced hiatus from the fandom)    and they have never once gotten back to me with the finished pieces or even some shitty update. If they were going through a tough time I could happily settle for my money back and wish them luck but, wtf! It's been forever,  I'll just never get some good work of Crunchy done it seems >:l

Have you contacted them about it? If they still don't reply, call PayPal reps and tell them what's up.

I detest when people say shit like "I'm not shallow, I'm just very picky". No, you're shallow. Your ideal doesn't have to meet society's standards, if you're picky about looks at all and can't settle for anything less than ideal despite how awesome someone may be inside, then you're shallow.

Rawr.

Some people value physical chemistry over a deep mental connection. And some people need both to maintain the connection.
Relationships can be fulfilling or lacking depending on the needs of the individual.
This does not make them "wrong," it just means that their values are not yours.

Also, if they're willing to stick it out for what they want, more power to them. Follow your dreams, and all that shit. Ain't your place to tell them otherwise.

OT: I feel like I'm gonna vom.
I need a cigarette.

• Like 2

there's a lot of people who either want things to be super simple, or feel that, alternatively, speaking in academic language guarantees that there is logic behind what they are saying.

someone linked an article today that made me kinda pissed. it was the longest one i've read and so full of non-information or simple rehashes of the current times that it was frustrating. each paragraph was so strange; it was several sentences of examples, and then maybe one or two offering a non-point as an argument to an idea they disliked. it was ironic because it was arguing in favour of the censorship culture hitting universities lately. i'm not against mental health awareness, i've been a guy who's been pretty heavily affected by ideas and forms of art on a mental scale, but it's hugely infuriating to see people make such poor arguments because that only further enforces why it's a problem, which is that people feel the ability to rebel equates to comprehension. the pseudo-intellectual societies i've watched grow on a daily basis (especially at the hallmark school of my state, u of michigan) makes me angry because it fails to actually own a cause. it's blindly seeking change with no intent of explaining it, or creating the ability to grow from an appropriated culture. it has every intent of removing it, instead of understanding what makes us differentiated from it.

Edited by evan

I hate that I'm the only one in my circle of friends that actually enjoys Christmas, the time leading up to it, and doing Christmas related activities.

They're all super jaded about the holiday and if God forbid I have them come along with me to a Christmas event they bitch and moan about absolutely everything the whole time. Opting to instead get blackout drunk and blow cigarette smoke on families with small kids that happen to wander too close to our group.

Yea, Christmas is commercialized, expensive, and a lot of work, but I genuinely like all the lights, music, food, shopping, and that even if its only for a month out of the year~ people make a token effort towards being less of a cunt to each other.

• Like 9

Some people value physical chemistry over a deep mental connection.

Too many people value the former over the latter. Society accepts shallowness as ok though, so it's not recognized as a key issue to why many relationships fail. If you don't have that deep mental and emotional connection, what happens when the sparks that flew upon physical attraction die out? They can't be maintained 24/7, life happens and the sparks will eventually fade away. Looks and ability to be intimate go away with age (or accidents) as well, surgeries or not, so there's really no way around it: physical attraction can not be the only base to a healthy relationship.

Just for the record in case it comes up, I'm all for people who take good care of their body only wanting someone else who only takes good care of their body, it's only fair and someone who is the opposite wouldn't really fit with their lifestyle so it wouldn't be a good match. But to act like a body is the most important thing above all else, especially if said person not very good looking... no. Not if they want a long lasting relationship. Physical attraction should always be secondary, even if it takes slots 2-10 after.

But I guess that's just me. No one else in the entire world seems to agree. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does because clearly those people are not for me with such shitty values, but it does bug me because otherwise they seem like really good people and if they weren't attractive and thus allowed to be shallow, they might be a damn good fit. Wuteves, yo.

Too many people value the former over the latter. Society accepts shallowness as ok though, so it's not recognized as a key issue to why many relationships fail. If you don't have that deep mental and emotional connection, what happens when the sparks that flew upon physical attraction die out? They can't be maintained 24/7, life happens and the sparks will eventually fade away. Looks and ability to be intimate go away with age (or accidents) as well, surgeries or not, so there's really no way around it: physical attraction can not be the only base to a healthy relationship.

Just for the record in case it comes up, I'm all for people who take good care of their body only wanting someone else who only takes good care of their body, it's only fair and someone who is the opposite wouldn't really fit with their lifestyle so it wouldn't be a good match. But to act like a body is the most important thing above all else, especially if said person not very good looking... no. Not if they want a long lasting relationship. Physical attraction should always be secondary, even if it takes slots 2-10 after.

But I guess that's just me. No one else in the entire world seems to agree. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does because clearly those people are not for me with such shitty values, but it does bug me because otherwise they seem like really good people and if they weren't attractive and thus allowed to be shallow, they might be a damn good fit. Wuteves, yo.

You can only rationally impugn someone for deferring to physical attraction under two conditions.

1.) They live an unfulfilled romantic/sex life

2.) You can say in good faith that you would romantically involve yourself with someone who physically repulsed you.

Otherwise this just sounds like frustration that people you find attractive don't find you attractive back, which isn't an illegitimate frustration without the jumping to conclusions about what other people factor into their decisions when it comes to dating and sex.

• Like 1

But I guess that's just me. No one else in the entire world seems to agree. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does because clearly those people are not for me with such shitty values, but it does bug me because otherwise they seem like really good people and if they weren't attractive and thus allowed to be shallow, they might be a damn good fit. Wuteves, yo..

i actually have been struggling with this concept. i've found that i've been strangely driven by aesthetic, and in some ways i sometimes get nervous being able to initiate certain behaviours with people due to my understanding of their physical appearance. i don't disagree with the idea of physical attraction being secondary to mental similarity, but for some reason it just doesn't leave my mind, you know? it's not that i won't date someone for being unattractive, but in some ways it's tough because we don't align on a value of how we see each other. if the dude finds me very attractive and it matters to him, then i feel guilty not sharing that.  

but then again i find dumb animal people more attractive so i'm at odds with most humans. (i sound so stupid saying that)

You can only rationally impugn someone for deferring to physical attraction under two conditions.
1.) They live an unfulfilled romantic/sex life

2.) You can say in good faith that you would romantically involve yourself with someone who physically repulsed you.

1. If all they wanted was sex and nothing more then fine, that's not my issue. Apologies for not making that clearer I guess. My problem is I see too often people saying they want a deeper connection, but wanting physical attraction over anything else and not listing anything but that as a qualification. Literally all the one that ticked me off said was what roughly what I originally posted: "I'm not shallow, I'm just very picky. ;)" (I forgot the winky face before.) And no, he didn't mean picky about personality, he meant physically, because what was said after made that pretty clear.

2. "Repulsed by" and "not ideal" are two very different things. Everyone has ideals, but some of us are willing to bend those ideals because we know it's not as important. That doesn't mean we're ok with repulsive people who have zero self respect to even try to be presentable. So no, I will not settle for someone who is 500lbs and has extremely poor hygiene, but I will settle for someone who isn't perfect.

i actually have been struggling with this concept. i've found that i've been strangely driven by aesthetic, and in some ways i sometimes get nervous being able to initiate certain behaviours with people due to my understanding of their physical appearance. i don't disagree with the idea of physical attraction being secondary to mental similarity, but for some reason it just doesn't leave my mind, you know? it's not that i won't date someone for being unattractive, but in some ways it's tough because we don't align on a value of how we see each other. if the dude finds me very attractive and it matters to him, then i feel guilty not sharing that.  

but then again i find dumb animal people more attractive so i'm at odds with most humans. (i sound so stupid saying that)

Physical attraction happens first for IRL stuff, so it's understandable to react to it first. The thing I wish people would keep in mind though is that it's not the most important thing. 3:

When I want to reply to something but everyone else already is and I don't want to make it look like a dogpile. >.>

If you're referring to this conversation, pile it on. I'm used to having the unpopular opinion and being piled on, but that's cool I guess. Piles are fun sometimes.

Edited by Kinare

I don't think even very shallow people refuse anything but "perfection" or "ideal" they just have higher standards for physical attraction than what seems reasonable to you and prioritize it in a similar fashion.

If they feel their sex/romantic life is unfulfilling then it's plausible that they're being irrational but to their credit, most people who compromise physical ideals for other reasons don't exactly feel any more fulfilled in their romantic lives either.

It's funny that you use an example of "obese unhygenic person" as the line you won't cross when the happiest couple I know are both fat slobs. I'm talking "spend every minute of our lives together and never ever get tired of it" happy. Shit is damn near Disney levels of harmonious.

• Like 1

Physical attraction happens first for IRL stuff, so it's understandable to react to it first. The thing I wish people would keep in mind though is that it's not the most important thing. 3:

I don't disagree. I just think there's a spectrum of behaviour affected by it as a result. Like mindedness doesn't always take into account aesthetic, and aesthetic does actually drive a lot of ideologies on more than just sex and physical attraction, but on many other things that might be a little surprising.

I do think you're right. I just think in some ways the way we see beauty becomes a representation of how we think; resultingly, if we allow ourselves to compartmentalize our perceptions of beauty, we may miss something important in choosing not to focus on it in our significant other. Not to say the aesthetic comes first; more that it can be a driving part of our image of our world.

If you're referring to this conversation, pile it on. I'm used to having the unpopular opinion and being piled on, but that's cool I guess. Piles are fun sometimes.

I was, but it also tends to happen a lot. I spend a while thinking through my thoughts and before I get around to replying, everyone else has done it already. It's kinda annoying >.>;;

Anyway, I'll summarize my thoughts on this subject. Being asexual... stuff like physical attraction doesn't really factor in for me. Not in the 'traditional' sense, anyway. But people would definitely call me 'shallow' if they knew how strict my standards are (people HAVE done so in the past). On top of preferences, I also have requirements. Stuff like care for physical health, understanding of fitness and weight loss/gain (because trust me. Not understanding how this shit works will drive me insane having to put up with your shit), good and specific habits in personal hygiene, so on.

I also have mentality and personality requirements (or more specifically.. deal breakers, as they're generally don'ts not dos). Stuff like taking care of your own mess quickly, courteous behaviour and movement around the house (like opening and closing doors without making a racket), and more. The SHORT version, is that I have ridiculous standards. I'm aware of this. But considering it really has nothing to do with "You're too ugly"/"You're smokin'"/whatever, I'm pretty sure that makes it a stretch to call me shallow. And that's why I have an issue with people throwing that phrase around.

Just my two cents on the matter. This ended up way longer than I meant for it to be.

• Like 1

I don't think even very shallow people refuse anything but "perfection" or "ideal" they just have higher standards for physical attraction than what seems reasonable to you and prioritize it in a similar fashion.

It's funny that you use an example of "obese unhygenic person" as the line you won't cross when the happiest couple I know are both fat slobs. I'm talking "spend every minute of our lives together and never ever get tired of it" happy. Shit is damn near Disney levels of harmonious.

Well, when they say something like "but I'm very picky" it comes off as though they're not going to settle for anything less than their ideal, if so it wouldn't be very far from it.

Yeah, I used to work retail and I'd see those types of couples all the time because the area I grew up in generally was pretty trashy and even now outside of that area I see people like that in public places that look like they haven't showered in years... yet seem quite content. People like that are used to that level of grossness though, so it's less of an issue for them to be with someone dirty and gross just like them. (My biggest issue is always smelly people, I don't care how easy on the eyes they are.)

Being asexual... stuff like physical attraction doesn't really factor in for me. Not in the 'traditional' sense, anyway. But people would definitely call me 'shallow' if they knew how strict my standards are (people HAVE done so in the past). On top of preferences, I also have requirements. Stuff like care for physical health, understanding of fitness and weight loss/gain (because trust me. Not understanding how this shit works will drive me insane having to put up with your shit), good and specific habits in personal hygiene, so on.

I also have mentality and personality requirements (or more specifically.. deal breakers, as they're generally don'ts not dos). Stuff like taking care of your own mess quickly, courteous behaviour and movement around the house (like opening and closing doors without making a racket), and more. The SHORT version, is that I have ridiculous standards. I'm aware of this. But considering it really has nothing to do with "You're too ugly"/"You're smokin'"/whatever, I'm pretty sure that makes it a stretch to call me shallow. And that's why I have an issue with people throwing that phrase around.

I wouldn't say that's shallow personally, just very VERY picky. =p When I say shallow I mean people who only go for high physical attraction. Too lazy to go Google what the rest of the world thinks it means, but I've always thought of it as meaning being very picky about the attractiveness of a person physically. Maybe I've got the definition wrong though... I dunno. I get your frustration because people do throw that term around, as well as many others. I try not to just throw terms around, though.

They're not "shitty" values, though.
It's not your place to decide what people's values are, nor their obligation to cater to you, specifically, in what they seek out of a partner. Be that short-term or long-term.
There's nothing inherently "good" or "bad" about any of it. It's just people fulfilling their individual wants and needs, which is going to vary per person.

As far as what occurs "when the sparks die out", you move on. People fall out of attraction. People lose their chemistry. That's a thing that can happen. That's part of life.
That's even disregarding the fact that some people out there don't want nor need "the One," and the mentality that surrounds that.
That lifestyle isn't for everyone.

Your issue is that you're expecting other people to change their own standards to match your own, and there's absolutely no reason for that.
You don't dictate how other people function. There's nothing that makes your values inherently better than anyone else, except the fact that you feel like they do, and that's not a good basis for judging what other people do with their lives.
No one's owed to you.
If you don't match, you don't match. And that's not their fault for having values that conflict with yours.

some people out there don't want nor need "the One,"

Then they should not be on a site meant to find "the one".

More context maybe will help. The people I'm bitching about are people I get matched with on a dating site. I normally don't even bother checking it because it just irritates me when I do, but sometimes when I'm ultra bored or get a contact request from it I do check it and I find gems like my complaint. I'm pretty sure the site has run out of legit matches and is throwing the opposite type of people at me now just because, because I'm only ever getting the type of people I despise anymore. The intent of this site is not random hook-ups or hook up and and hope it works out, it's intended to help find you meaningful relationships meant to last. If these people are not interested in that, fine, but then they should not sign up for this site and then proceed act like they want it. There's plenty of other sites out there for people like that.

Revised version of my complaint: I hate when people act like they want a serious and long lasting relationship when all they really want is someone to entertain them until they get bored.

Edited by Kinare

Personal log #69: The time is 5:09 hours. Day of the seventh, final month of the Milky Way sector.

The sun is as dark as the rest of the world, and I hold out here on my lonesome; trying to persevere on this damned rock I call a home. I tolerate. I tolerate what may be called the beginning of the end of this system's solar cycle. 
It is brutal, cold, and darker than the deepest of caves upon Uranus. Truly - there is little hope for me.

...But I must go on.

Personal log #69: The time is 5:09 hours. Day of the seventh, final month of the Milky Way sector.

The sun is as dark as the rest of the world, and I hold out here on my lonesome; trying to persevere on this damned rock I call a home. I tolerate. I tolerate what may be called the beginning of the end of this system's solar cycle. 
It is brutal, cold, and darker than the deepest of caves upon Uranus. Truly - there is little hope for me.

...But I must go on.

Not sure if should be concerned or aroused. Will do both to be safe.

• Like 2

Man vs Food and other shows like it. Competitive eating in general too. Absolutely disgusting waste of food, eating is not a fucking sport.

Humans can turn any regular, natural act into a sport. Fucking will probably literally be a sport in the future, televised (or whatever the future equivalent is) and everything.