Born in le wrong generation

Rabbit Head

Help me. I'm becoming like one of those annoying "Born in the wrong generation" kids you see in the comments section of music  videos.

However, Instead of music, it's with video games.

Everyone is today is talking about Overwatch, and I'm here sitting bricks of glee over Doom mods, Quake 1, and Half Life 1.

Only new game out I'm super interested in... is the new DOOM.

Is this what you call hipster? Help me. I'm not trying to be hipster. I just want to play games I find fun.

I guess there's not much point to this post.

Meatball subs sure are delicious.

Older things in general have a charm that modern things don't, and videogames are definitely one of them. In the 90s (and the noughties I suppose), where game development was becoming a more accessible field, new devs were popping up all over the place and trying all sorts of new things to hit a niche and they came up with some great stuff. Then later game development further cemented itself as serious big business, which is to say risk-averse business, outside of technological advancements. So the diversity of games kind of narrowed. You won't see many games come out that stray away from expectations. It's risky to do something fresh because nobody is used to fresh. I remember all the whining when the Resident Evil Remake came out for this gen, and gamers had to - gasp - master a different control scheme. The game controlled way, way better on keyboard than I expected it to, mind you.

There are a lot of great games from the 90s that weren't overly popular in their time either due to obscurity or some kind of poor execution, but they had awesome ideas in them but these things aren't visited by modern devs. Given the learned lessons and new technology, these ideas could be revisited and do so much better than their predecessors.

E.g. After looking at modern tech and ideas present in Alien: Isolation, maybe something like Resident Evil: Nemesis could be resurrected as something even cooler? Or maybe something like Trespasser could have actually been executed successfully?

• Like 1

Good arena shooters are hard to come by these days. Classics are classics for a reason.

At the very least, you're not that fucking guy who's like "Uh, I only play LoZ Ocarina of Time. It's timeless and the best game of all time." fuck you. I ain't having that shit. 

There is nothing we can do to help you.

You're too far gone. I'm sorry.

...In all seriousness though, everyone has their own interests and as long as you aren't going around saying that modern games suck you should be fine. Play what you enjoy.

In the 90s (and the noughties I suppose), where game development was becoming a more accessible field, new devs were popping up all over the place and trying all sorts of new things to hit a niche and they came up with some great stuff. Then later game development further cemented itself as serious big business, which is to say risk-averse business, outside of technological advancements.

There are a lot of great games from the 90s that weren't overly popular in their time either due to obscurity or some kind of poor execution, but they had awesome ideas in them but these things aren't visited by modern devs. 

I would argue that video game development is in some ways more accessible than ever considering all these modern engines and tools available to people for game development and the ease of publishing indie games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I would argue that video game development is in some ways more accessible than ever considering all these modern engines and tools available to people for game development and the ease of publishing indie games.

It is, it's a hobby of mine that I'm very bad at. Though a lot of indie games end up being artsy-fartsy garbage outside of the few that do introduce interesting mechanics like Reciever, but they don't gain enough exposure, and other ones abuse steam early access and never fucking finish their games. Even larger developers like Tripwire are taking stupid amounts of time to add promised content.

but never fear

it is my dream to make a buggy and horrid-looking attempt at a resident evil clone

If we're talking Overwatch, it looks fun as hell but waaayyy overhyped. Also if you guys have read any of the character backgrounds/lore or watched any of the animated shorts, that shit is wack. Completely full of cliché and pandering to fans - but it doesn't really matter for those like me who are more focused on solely the gameplay.

7 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Overwatch is just a reskinned Paladins anyway ;V

I thought it was another tf2 except with pretty women?

6 minutes ago, Lemon said:

I thought it was another tf2 except with pretty women?

Don't say that to the fanboys, they go berserk if you compare the two, or even if you state minor reservations after experiencing the beta... seriously, the hype and community around this game are insane.

• Like 1

Just now, Osrik said:

Don't say that to the fanboys, they go berserk if you compare the two, or even if you state minor reservations after experiencing the beta... seriously, the hype and community around this game are insane.

I played tf2 once. I'm in the part of the crowd that feels there are much better games out there, I'll probably think the same of overwatch if I ever actually play it.

Also, Rabbit Head? I have so many old mods for tibsun and other old games and roms on my laptop man, just crazy. I even started making one a while back... Maybe I should work on that again.

2 minutes ago, Osrik said:

Is it just me or is hype for non-interesting games getting more and more unbearable over the years?

1 minute ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Is it just me or is hype for non-interesting games getting more and more unbearable over the years?

I think part of it is that the communities around the games are getting larger all the time, so you always have more and more fanboys.

In this case I think it might also have to do with the fact it is made by Blizzard, and they seem to have a higher proportion of obsessively loyal fans than most other companies.

It's solely because it's by Blizzard. Absolutely. That, and the marketing/animations they do are rather fantastic. 

The game is overall boring. It's got a lot of soul, but yet the gameplay is shallow, doesn't hold (my) interest. Like, I think the game looks fantastic and I like the animations and characters! But no way in fuck would I buy it because I know better. Some people don't know better (or legitimately enjoy it). 

you're right, Overwatch and TF2 are nothing alike. because Overwatch is better :V

for awhile I guess I was kinda like that, because a lot of the interesting things kids were into were just kinda boring to me. but now I kind of get why people get so excited about things. it might not always be a thing I'm into but whatever.

and originally I thought the game looked stupid and like Blizzard was really trying with this one, but admittedly I had a lot of fun playing the beta and it's the only online shooter I've enjoyed so far on PS4

11 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

It's solely because it's by Blizzard. Absolutely. That, and the marketing/animations they do are rather fantastic. 

The game is overall boring. It's got a lot of soul, but yet the gameplay is shallow, doesn't hold (my) interest. Like, I think the game looks fantastic and I like the animations and characters! But no way in fuck would I buy it because I know better. Some people don't know better (or legitimately enjoy it). 

Obviously having Blizzard as the developer helped it immensely in terms of marketing. And obviously, being a Blizzard game, the art direction and polish are second to none.

But the game is legitimately fun and occupies its own niche among shooters. The different characters each have distinct playstyles, are easy to learn, and easy to recognize. The matches are short, around ten minutes or less. These things make it tremendous for casual play.

2 minutes ago, Onnes said:

Obviously having Blizzard as the developer helped it immensely in terms of marketing. And obviously, being a Blizzard game, the art direction and polish are second to none.

But the game is legitimately fun and occupies its own niche among shooters. The different characters each have distinct playstyles, are easy to learn, and easy to recognize. The matches are short, around ten minutes or less. These things make it tremendous for casual play.

This is why i put some things in parenthesis! Obviously people enjoy it. However, I, and many other, were left a bit disappointed but just how casual it is (I hate calling it "casual" but if I say it's "shallow" or "simple", I get crucified). It is absolutely not a bad game. It just grabbed more people with it's marketing than it should've. 

5 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

Snipper snip snap

That's probably true... I think I agree with this.

5 hours ago, Falaffel said:

Good arena shooters are hard to come by these days. Classics are classics for a reason.

At the very least, you're not that fucking guy who's like "Uh, I only play LoZ Ocarina of Time. It's timeless and the best game of all time." fuck you. I ain't having that shit. 

Oot is good tho. It was the first of it's kind, so I try not to be hard on it.

That being said, my fave 3d Zelda game is windwaker.

Keep in mind I've never beaten a Zelda game.

6 minutes ago, Kosha said:

ITT: Is Overwatch Good?

>make post about how I don't care about overwatch.

>people talk in depth about overwatch.

I'm... I'm going back to playing my DOOM mods.

Careful, Juvenoia is an easy trap to fall into. Games like Shovel Knight and Undertale, imo, rather prove that we can make better games today that follow the same simplicity and premise than their older inspirations.

In regards to Overwatch, it's a mashing of TF2 and MOBA elements. And created by Bobby Kotick's Blizzard. No fucking thank you.

15 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

Oot is good tho. It was the first of it's kind, so I try not to be hard on it.

That being said, my fave 3d Zelda game is windwaker.

Keep in mind I've never beaten a Zelda game.

It is good! Revolutionary! I'm just annoyed that people talk about it as if it's the greatest thing ever now.

1 hour ago, Falaffel said:

This. As soon as it got announced, people were going batshit crazy over it because 'oh hey it's another Blizzard game!!! hYPE!!' The marketing was pretty great too - much better than bloody Battleborn which looks even stupider in terms of completely wack lore/characters/everything.

58 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I've never played Overwatch but Tracer (I think that's her name) is pretty cool. Her British accent is just sweet, also enjoyed the Kenji/Hanzo trailer.

As a Brit, Tracer's accent legitimately pisses me off. Despite her voice actress being a British personwhy the fuck did the creators tell her to do such an obviously fake (at least to any Brit who has heard a genuine cockney person before) accent, that is just so baseless and blasé?? She genuinely sounds like an American person trying to do a bad impression of what they think a Londoner sounds like.

1 hour ago, willow said:

you're right, Overwatch and TF2 are nothing alike. because Overwatch is better :V

I think autistic Blizzard fanboys need to recognise that TF2 and Overwatch are very alike in many ways. It's not a case of one being better than the other if they can at least recognise the game's rampant similarities.

13 minutes ago, Wax said:

As a Brit, Tracer's accent legitimately pisses me off. Despite her voice actress being a British personwhy the fuck did the creators tell her to do such an obviously fake (at least to any Brit who has heard a genuine cockney person before) accent, that is just so baseless and blasé?? She genuinely sounds like an American person trying to do a bad impression of what they think a Londoner sounds like.

This is what I find brits peculiar

They can tell which part of the country you live based from your accent.

AND THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME TO ME!

Just now, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Do Americans seriously not get this? It's an extremely normal thing in the UK. My accent isn't even that strong, but if I went to a city a couple of hours away, the people there'd probably be able to pinpoint exactly where I'm from.

I could pinpoint it for Tracer, obviously, but she still does not actually sound like anyone from the UK. Like at all lol

5 minutes ago, Wax said:

Do Americans seriously not get this? It's an extremely normal thing in the UK. My accent isn't even that strong, but if I went to a city a couple of hours away, the people there'd probably be able to pinpoint exactly where I'm from.

I could pinpoint it for Tracer, obviously, but she still does not actually sound like anyone from the UK. Like at all lol

I feel like UK accents are a bit more subtle to understand to non-UK people because we're not around them a lot.

However, American accents are VASTLY different to anyone.

25 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Careful, Juvenoia is an easy trap to fall into. Games like Shovel Knight and Undertale, imo, rather prove that we can make better games today that follow the same simplicity and premise than their older inspirations.

True, I freaking LOVE Undertale. I also liked what I've played of Shovel Knight as well. I'm not TRYING to be all "older is better hurrr hurrrrrr" I guess older games just HAPPEN to catch my interest more.

I WOULD SAY I hate the modern gaming culture/ethos. All this uppity cranky fucking cynicism that permeates everything... "this sucks/ this is overrated/ this is sexist/ people who like this game are autists lol/ "

I guess maybe playing older games nobody cares about is nicer because it's fucking quiet....

3 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

It's way more fun to dig around in the past than to float along in the present.

AYYYYYYYEEEE IT IS. Love feeling like some weird gaming archaeologist, man.

6 minutes ago, vexi fox said:

i am a doom modder

OOH! SHARE!! Help feed my addiction....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

AND THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME TO ME!

The same exact thing could be said about America, and probably most countries (I know it is also the case in Germany). Regional dialects are extremely common almost anywhere; I assume you can distinguish between a Southern and Midwestern accent...

Also, can other Americans really not tell at least some British accents apart? I think it is very easy at least to distinguish cockney from less pronounced accents, and I at least can tell some of the regional accents apart.

15 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I feel like UK accents are a bit more subtle to understand to non-UK people because we're not around them a lot.

However, American accents are VASTLY different to anyone.

A big part of it is slang. Don't know if this is the same for America but there are a lot of words which only get used in specific parts of the country. If someone says a certain slang word, you'll be able to tell which part of the country they're from.

A good example is the word 'scran', which is slang for food and only really sees use in the north-east of England.

16 minutes ago, Wax said:

A big part of it is slang. Don't know if this is the same for America but there are a lot of words which only get used in specific parts of the country. If someone says a certain slang word, you'll be able to tell which part of the country they're from.

A good example is the word 'scran', which is slang for food and only really sees use in the north-east of England.

It's the same here in the US too.

Like, y'all is mostly a Southern word

US people don't really know about UK slang soooooo

20 minutes ago, Wax said:

Yeah, I hadn't even thought of it, but regional slang is certainly a giveaway of where you are from in America as well.

This is even the case on a micro level; in New Jersey you can tell if someone is from north or south Jersey if they call pork roll (a food in itself exclusive to New Jersey) Taylor Ham or Pork Roll.

And around the North-East you can see it with calling submarine sandwiches hoagies, heroes, or subs.

6 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Crumpets and English Muffins are totally different things, this is basic knowledge, how do they not know this?

English Muffin:

english-muffins-split.jpg

Crumpet:

121401-HERO-9fd1befd-3178-46b4-9b87-1da9

probably cos im english and i dont know what the fuck the first thing is and i went to nyc and saw something called english muffins in a shop and they were obviously crumpets

this is a muffin and we dont have anything else we call muffins

food is for fags anyway

5 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

probably cos im english and i dont know what the fuck the first thing is and i went to nyc and saw something called english muffins in a shop and they were obviously crumpets

this is a muffin and we dont have anything else we call muffins

I really want a muffin now, thx Gibby

2 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I've never played Overwatch but Tracer (I think that's her name) is pretty cool. Her British accent is just sweet, also enjoyed the Kenji/Hanzo trailer.

I really can't stand Tracer's voice. I like the character design and playstyle of her but oh my word the moment she opens her mouth I feel like screaming.

It's a tad hypocritical of me to critique someone's English accent but Tracer sounds so goddamn over the top it's ridiculous. Nobody speaks like that IRL not even in England.

• Like 1