Anthros and ferals in the same world

VGmaster9

I'd always create a universe where they co-exist, whereby the anthros live alongside ferals as we do, such as livestock, but not like pets or anything.

I've also given evolutionary patterns next to no thought.

After reading this question, immediately what popped into my head was all those creepy feral OC with huge dog dongs. All the nope, all the ew.

Then I thought - but if the world were to be a lighthearted, colourful, and cartoony one, I could actually see it working.
Applying the not-so-logical logic of toons to the world would mean you could get away with the characters having no thumbs, and the idea of any creepy NSFW jazz going on is thrown out of the window. (At least for me it is.)

I could tolerate it if it took on this cartoon style and mindset, but otherwise... nope. I am definitely not a fan of "feral" characters.

Also this:

g1.png

• Like 4

in my story, there are different levels of anthropomorphism, ranging from disney-like critters that can understand human speech but are otherwise still animals, to humans who just have some vague animal-like characteristics, and everything in between.  it would depend on a mix of their ancestry/evolution and what level of magic was involved.  the majority of anthro-type things are humans with animal features, and varying degrees of typical anthros: humanoid body shape, some humanoid facial features, human speech and personalities, basically just people who look like animals.  they would have arisen in a number of ways, usually humans being affected by magical curses or genetic experiments at some point in their lineage.  the feral variety would be a lot more rare, and usually the result of normal animals being exposed to magic.  sometimes a family of feral types would evolve into anthros over time, depending on how they lived over the generations.  whether or not any of the different types or species of anthros and ferals could interbreed would depend on their origins, how their magic works if they have it, etc. 

but overall, the closer you are to being a four-legged creature in appearance, the closer you are to living and thinking like one.  so ferals wouldn't really have to feel too bad about not having thumbs because they're probably not interested in using iphones anyway. 

42 minutes ago, Gator said:

in my story, there are different levels of anthropomorphism, ranging from disney-like critters that can understand human speech but are otherwise still animals, to humans who just have some vague animal-like characteristics, and everything in between.  it would depend on a mix of their ancestry/evolution and what level of magic was involved.  the majority of anthro-type things are humans with animal features, and varying degrees of typical anthros: humanoid body shape, some humanoid facial features, human speech and personalities, basically just people who look like animals.  they would have arisen in a number of ways, usually humans being affected by magical curses or genetic experiments at some point in their lineage.  the feral variety would be a lot more rare, and usually the result of normal animals being exposed to magic.  sometimes a family of feral types would evolve into anthros over time, depending on how they lived over the generations.  whether or not any of the different types or species of anthros and ferals could interbreed would depend on their origins, how their magic works if they have it, etc. 

but overall, the closer you are to being a four-legged creature in appearance, the closer you are to living and thinking like one.  so ferals wouldn't really have to feel too bad about not having thumbs because they're probably not interested in using iphones anyway. 

P much this to the letter :P

In Taorn there's a species of big cats called wizards. They're most closely related to cheetahs, but they went extinct on the island some while back. They're pretty well developed as far as their brains go, they were the first to learn to use magic (hence wizards) and taught the bipedal species how to use it back in the ol' caveman days. Then there was a big thing that the wizards accused the bipeds of coercing the knowledge out of them and ultimately resolved that they stole it and had no place using magic, and they separated, choosing to live in the forests and making it a biped-free zone.

And then a short while later, a bunch of the wizards branched off from these, and left the forests, and co-existed with the bipeds. There came a small amount of genetic drift between the two groups - "tame wizards" as they came to be called, are slightly bigger, and have either more yellow or less yellow coats (I can't remember which it is now). And then there's the "wild wizards", who have ears that can rotate over 360 degrees, and have built their own society that the bipeds don't know a thing about because they can't get close enough to it without being killed on sight.

But I digress.

So the wizards have a body that mostly resembles a cheetah, but they have powerful brains. Really powerful. They aren't capable of speech because their vocal cords and face aren't optimised for it, but they communicate using telepathy - to each other and to the bipeds. Since they're so intelligent, they're generally better with magic than the average biped. Their brains are optimised for THAT.

But they aren't very "human". The bipeds are, but the wizards aren't. They don't take pleasures in the same things that the bipeds do, and don't seek any kind of quality of live. They just are, kind of like any animal, they just run on instinct mostly. It's probably strange to the humans that come across them at any point, but the bipeds (termed Magics as a nationality) know nothing else so it's completely normal to them. They work though, there is at least one wizard who works in government, presiding over at least one of the Islands.

One thing which I thought was interesting was that wizards have a mating season. Both sexes go into heat, in which time they start giving out a different telepathy signal that they have no control over, and no one, not even them, can hear. If they come into contact with another wizard who has a complementary signal, nature happens. Wizards will raise the cubs together if they were, or are, friends prior to this. Otherwise, they don't have long-term relationships of any kind.

In a nutshell.

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

In my world, a select few feral animals still exist, but they're used for food, like cows and chickens in the real world.

In my world there are feral versions of everything 

there is feral form dogs and anthro form dogs just like there is ferAl form babies and anthro form humans

I imagine it would happen for the same reason ents exist in Lord of the Rings universe. The ents were born by happening to grow near a source of magical anomaly that seeped into nearby water and continual exposure to enchanted water would turn trees into sentient beings. 

Same with ferals and anthros. Ferals turn into anthros by being exposed to magic. Magic is the answer

And like the ents, the anthros would cherish for every "birth" of a new anthro, which are "born" from ferals. I imagine they would treat feral beings like they would treat unborn anthros; like an egg or a fetus that should be protected from the dangers of the world

That's my view of feral vs anthro fantasy