Which industry do you find more interesting?

VGmaster9

Which industry do you find more interesting?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which industry interests you more?

• Oil and natural gas
    • Mining (including coal)
    • Chemical
    • Steel
    • Automotive
    • Shipping (containerization)
    • Railroad
    • Other

I like all of them in a general sort of fashion, because I end up researching them when I'm on a simcity or war-sim kick and want to understand the mechanics behind something or other irl.
if someone made a polish armored train anthro it would be my husbando, no bully

Construction Industry.

Not just because I work in it, but it amazes me how quickly buildings can go together these days. I've lived in my current suburb for just over four years, and in that time five new apartment blocks have gone up, and two more are almost finished. All within walking distance of where I live.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FlynnCoyote said:

Construction Industry.

Not just because I work in it, but it amazes me how quickly buildings can go together these days. I've lived in my current suburb for just over four years, and in that time five new apartment blocks have gone up, and two more are almost finished. All within walking distance of where I live.

Cities in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and Asia are now covered in prefab concrete buildings and brutalist structures, but it is pretty hard to tell that they basically looked like fields with huge piles of rocks in them 65 years ago.

Construction is amazing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FlynnCoyote said:

Construction Industry.

Not to mention how difficult the work itself really is. From operating cranes to using heavy power tools such as jackhammers. Just take a look at this.

• Like 1

I have to go with rail as it is the nearest industry to me to work in as a backup plan in case I can't get into something more electrical engineering oriented beyond 25 Kv AC cantery. The UK practically invented rail and then managed to ruin it along with the rest of its engineering and manufacturing base just so London could have more service industry jobs. 

24 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

What!? We engineers never make mistakes!  😜 Note that I said 'good engineering' in my OP. 

This reminds me of a running engineer joke

A man is traveling by a hot air balloon. However, he gets lost and asks a man below "Where am I". The man on the ground answers "You're on a hot air balloon". The man in the balloon replies "You must be an engineer. You give me a technically correct answer but that information is useless for me" 

So you can create an ingenious product of engineering but it's still going to fail if you don't make it idiot proof because if you don't, the users of that product will fuck up your creation for you

• Like 1

On 2016-09-29 at 6:35 PM, VGmaster9 said:

Not to mention how difficult the work itself really is. From operating cranes to using heavy power tools such as jackhammers. Just take a look at this.

That's like everything you don't do in one shot, though. It'd take one fucking stupid crane op to run their unit on its limits with nothing under the outriggers and not checking the ground conditions. Not to mention that crane will generally lock you out before you can get close to doing something stupid like that. Any kind of override is usually performed under an engineered lift plan, and like fuck if anybody is going to perform a lift when there's enough wind to put a load into standing structure... Walking under a suspended load is just plain stupid on all counts...

Pipelining is something else, though... Working with sidebooms up on one track with their counterweights fully extended in sloppy mud hanging off of thousands of pounds of steel is fucking crazy. It's get 'er done 10000x.

Chemical, because of the drugs. It's the one that's delivered some of the most fun, certainly.

But all in all, none of these; perhaps the publishing industry, or the world of art and music? I don't know that these are industries, per se.

On 10/1/2016 at 9:05 AM, willow said:

The media industry controls so many parts of our lives and in some of the most insidious ways that it's actually pretty fascinating to read about but also terrifying too

it's great

The Fox news administration called. They are pleased to see your impressive resume and your enthusiasm. They'd like to hire you as their news reporter. 

But yeah, I agree, media manipulates a frightening portion of our lives